Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Satterfield

BDeskins

Re: No Glass Jaw

Frank,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post the article, it's the longest that I have seen on Satterfield and I will very much enjoying reading it...I've saved the clips as well.

Karl---I'm surprised that Satterfield's bout with Tommy Gomez went the distance as they both were probably in the top 5 hardest hitters of their era!

StingerKarl

Man Deskins; Bill O'Neill told me that Tommy was a frightening hitter.
    That is a really good point.
    Karl

BDeskins

Tommy Gomez hardly ever gets any recognition, but truth is he was among the hardest punching fighters ever...he didn't just TKO opponents he cleanly knocked guys out, which you can look over the list of fighters that he knocked out...Gunnar Barlund had never been counted out until he came up against Gomez, which the same could be said of several men he faced. Gomez was wounded pretty bad in World War II, but came back to compete fairly well...Does anyone know if he is still living?

Dan Gunter

Thanks for the hard work in posting this great article.

This is the sort of thing that really deserves to be part of a published book.

kikibalt

Thank you Dan ,glad you like it

Frank B.

rocky111
    Wow! Wow! That story knocked me out. Im still breathing hard from reading it. Ya know, when Hatchtman Sheppard was locked up with me almost everyone thought he was "portraying" Curtis Sheppard and was never a contender, nor was he the same man. But he was so feared no one had the heart to tell him to his face. But I knew.............
    Tommy Harrison. Good fighter. Some story man.
    Hey I loved Satterfield as a kid. What a build. Ya had to see him live to appreciate it. What a guy he was from what ive heard. Too good looking for his own good, he became a devoted playboy and lost his chin, but never his wallop. What a great fighter he could have been with discipline. He had the gifts.
    Thanks so much for printing this and taking the trouble. Its a prize of a story man.

kikibalt

Satterfield

Thanks , glad you enjoyed it

Frank B.

kikibalt
    Rocky, did you see the pic. of Tommy Harrison ? its here on Old Timers , down from Bob Satterfield

Frank B.

Kid Achilles

Bob Satterfield

Phenomenal article. Best that I've read in a long time.

kikibalt
    Thought i would bring this thread up front so some of the new
    posters would get a chance to read it

Frank B.

BDeskins
    Talk about an exciting fighter with sledgehammer's on the ends of his arms! I would like to be able to get copies of all of his fights that were ever filmed, or televised. I have a couple, but I would love to see some of his other brawls.

wildhawke11

Re

Frank
    That was one hell of a story.Thanks so much for taking the time to bring it to our attention. Like Rocky said it has that WOW factor to it.

EVRENB
    When you say get hold of his fights do you mean Bob Satterfield or Tommy Harrison??

mike

Re: Bob Satterfield

satterfield was the hardest hitter,outside of marciano --since his time--not foreman,shavers nobody tagged like him, imo.

vCash

I heard that this article is been made into a movie.

Frank
    Last edited by kikibalt; 11-16-2006 at 02:28 PM.

vCash

A curious piece of trivia. Satterfield was the fighter Virgil Akins admired the most....

vCash

Was watching a part of Charles vs Satterfield.... that man could bang, every punch was thrown with bad intentions.... quite frightening.

vCash

Movie base on the article on this thread

Resurrecting the Champ
    Starring: Josh Hartnett, Samuel L. Jackson, Alan Alda, Adam Del Rio, Teri Hatcher, Rachel Nichols

Director: Rod Lurie
    Release Date: 2007

Synopsis: Inspired by the true story of an up-and-coming sports reporter (Josh Hartnett) who rescues a homeless man ("Champ", Samuel L. Jackson) only to discover that he is, in fact, a boxing legend believed to have passed away. What begins as an opportunity to resurrect Champ's story and escape the shadow of his father's success becomes a personal journey as the ambitious reporter reexamines his own life and his relationship with his family.
    Last edited by kikibalt; 01-12-2007 at 08:14 PM.

vCash

Here's a trailer for the upcoming movie:

http://www.yarifilmgroup.com/films/r...ctingthechamp/

The early reviews are great.

vCash

Oh, man. I'm looking forward to this one.

vCash

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lpHwjjcupz0

I found this rare clip of Tommy Harrison sparring with Marciano.

For those following this thread and need a reminder, Harrison is the actual homeless guy who says he is Bob Satterfield.

vCash

Bob Satterfield vs Bob Baker

Roberto Aqui

With Satterfield, either he got you out or you got him. Not much room for error.

Boxrec lists a Tommy Harrison, aka Dino Burns, record in the same time frame fighting some of the same fighters of the era. Thing is this Harrison had no pop, only 5 KOs in a 22-13-2 record. The video clearly states Rocky's sparring partner is Tommy Harrison. It seems like Satterfield was so well known that he couldn't pass himself off as another boxer. Either the producer of the video made a mistake or Harrison is who he says.

Satterfield's death is listed as 6-1-77 and no death is listed for Harrison. Maybe this Harrison charactor incorporated Satterfield into his homeless act. It's not uncommon for people to impersonate others.

I'm still waiting for a resolution of the Curtis Sheppard saga.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=lpHwjjcupz0

I found this rare clip of Tommy Harrison sparring with Marciano.

For those following this thread and need a reminder, Harrison is the actual homeless guy who says he is Bob Satterfield.
    That is not thee Tommy Harrison! the dude boxing with Marciano is a white dude, thee Tommy Harrison is/was black

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt
    That is not thee Tommy Harrison! the dude boxing with Marciano is a white dude, thee Tommy Harrison is/was black
    Frank, I think the quality of the film is just not very good, plus I think Harrison is light skinned. Joe Louis himself looks pretty pale in a lot of the old films. We do know that Harrison was one of Marciano's sparring partners for the second Walcott fight.

vCash

Tommy Harrison

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8
    Frank, I think the quality of the film is just not very good, plus I think Harrison is light skinned. Joe Louis himself looks pretty pale in a lot of the old films. We do know that Harrison was one of Marciano's sparring partners for the second Walcott fight.
    10-8;

After seeing the video again, I still don't think that is Tommy Harrison, btw I seen Harrison Abel Fernandez 2-3 times in the early 50's live.

vCash

The Movie

vCash

Movie Review

Acting lifts 'Resurrecting the Champ'

By Kevin Crust, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

The drama "Resurrecting the Champ" opens with an analogy between writing and boxing. Both activities require you to put your talent forward and stand alone.

It's good connective tissue for a movie about an old forgotten boxer and a struggling young sportswriter who develop a strangely symbiotic relationship. Directed by Rod Lurie ("The Contender"), "Resurrecting" delivers a heckuva story marred by some credibility problems but lands the majority of its punches via subtly powerful performances and a moving undercard of paternal connection.

Josh Hartnett stars as a Denver Post scribe named Erik Kernan Jr. whose father was a legendary boxing announcer on the radio. Though still in his 20s, he's reached critical points in both his personal and professional lives and is beginning to give off a whiff of desperation.

He's separated from his wife, Joyce (Kathryn Morris), a more successful journalist who also works at the newspaper, and is struggling to maintain a relationship with his 6-year-old son, Teddy (Dakota Goyo). His exacting, old-school editor, Metz (Alan Alda), is unimpressed with Erik's reporting, which he describes as "a lot of typing, not much writing," routinely buries his stories and isn't about to let him off the boxing beat any time soon to cover the more glamorous pro football Broncos or pro basketball Nuggets.

Just as Erik seems out of gambits, he stumbles across a homeless man in an alley being beaten by some young jerks. Erik chases the kids off and learns that the man calls himself Champ and claims to be a former boxer named Battlin' Bob Satterfield, who came within a fight or two of the world championship in the 1950s.

As the pugilist, Samuel L. Jackson chisels an impressively detailed performance from a character that might have easily fallen into caricature. Jackson instills the grizzled ex-fighter with a grace and pride that transcend the rags he wears. Charming and heart-rending, Champ drinks and suffers from a career of blows to the head but is surprisingly lucid, able to recall his bouts with startling clarity.

Erik smells not just a story but a career-maker. He steps up to the material with previously unseen zeal and in the process develops a complex relationship with Champ that knocks loose some of his own baggage.

Screenwriters Michael Bortman and Allison Burnett were inspired by a similar 1997 article by former Los Angeles Times reporter J.R. Moehringer. Bortman and Burnett deploy a fairly significant what-if scenario in dramatizing the nonfiction article and amp up the parallels between the reporter and the pugilist mostly for the good, but some of their choices hinder the movie.

There's too much reliance on coincidence as a means of speeding up the story, and the depiction of Erik's journalism skills leaves a lot to be desired. The manner in which his story comes together is not altogether believable, and the eventual moral struggle is stretched to the brink.

What's more interesting is the way the filmmakers reveal Erik's personal flaws, his motivation to pursue a career in the shadow of a daunting, unknowable father. Erik has the habit of telling those around him, including his son, what he thinks they want to hear, making him hard to root for.

Fortunately, Hartnett is extremely likable, and he more than holds his own with Jackson. As the film progresses, Hartnett helps the character evolve even when the script dangles him excessively over an emotional edge. Lurie also gets strong supporting performances from Alda, David Paymer (as another editor) and an unrecognizable Peter Coyote as a boxing old-timer.

Boxing scenes, shown in flashback, are used sparingly but efficiently, evoking the Champ's era when he fought the likes of Ezzard Charles and sparred with Rocky Marciano. The film sacrifices some of Moehringer's aesthetic appreciation for the sport but sticks to his main themes.

Most affecting of which is the strong hold fathers and sons have over one another even from the grave. The intertwined search for one's male identity as both a father and a son gets its hooks into us in ways we overlook or would like to ignore. What's particularly fascinating is how the mutual yearning for approval stretches in both directions. "Resurrecting the Champ," despite its shortcomings, evocatively projects these feelings.

kevin.crust@latimes.com

MPAA rating: PG-13 for some violence and brief language. Running time: 1 hour, 51 minutes. In general release.

vCash

Yari Film Group's "Resurrecting the Champ," with Samuel L. Jackson as a former boxer now living on the streets and Josh Hartnett as a sportswriter who chronicles the man's story, opened weakly with $1.85 million.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast