Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U2 Tops Forbes Richest Rockers List

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

U2 Tops Forbes Richest Rockers List

From Rolling Stone

U2's massive 360° Tour has helped propel the band to Number One on Forbes' annual report on top-earning musicians. Bono and Co. scored the top spot on the list by netting $130 million in the past 12 months. They're followed by AC/DC — who just wrapped their 108-city Black Ice world tour on June 28th — with $144 million. Beyoncé, Bruce Springsteen and Britney Spears round out the Top Five.

Forbes calculates rockers' earnings based on net income from ticket sales, record sales and endorsement deals between June 2009 and June 2010. Unsurprisingly, album sales didn't drive most artists to the top of the list — giant tours and strategic corporate team-ups were responsible for most of the profits. Lady Gaga is the youngest performer in the Top 10, bringing in $62 million to score her first-ever appearance on the list thanks partially to partnerships with Polaroid, Virgin Mobile and Monster, who puts out her Heartbeats ear buds. Gaga just edged out Madonna, who has made the countdown for the past four years and raked in major cash last year on her giant Sticky & Sweet Tour.

Power couple Beyoncé and Jay-Z both appear in the Top 10 individually, although Beyoncé out-earned her husband by $24 million last year. Kenny Chesney is the highest-ranked country musician on the list at Number Nine, earning $50 million dollars.

U2's 360° Tour requires $750,000 a day in overhead, but the giant show earned the band $311 million in gross box office receipts in 2009 alone. The band was recently forced to postpone the summer leg of the trek to spring 2011 due to Bono's back injury, which required surgery. Other touring woes may have an effect on the list next year considering this summer has been especially cruel on live acts. "In today's world artists have to tour to make money," Pollstar editor Gary Bongiovanni told Forbes. "They can't just sit at home and collect their royalties and expect to make their mortgage payments."

vCash

Re: U2 Tops Forbes Richest Rockers List

So maybe that little prick, Bono, can stop lecturing me and my government on how much WE should be donating to Africa to keep his fucking ego afloat.
    Oh, and everydody else's government.

vCash

At least Bono is doing something worthwhile with his fame in helping other less fortunates instead of working on his "portfolio,"...and I do mean very less fortunates!!! Imagine all the help that could be given with all the money given to lying politicians...but then again...those big-wigs throwing money to politicians are only concerned with their portfolio's and when can they again get more tax cuts...as if they need them!

vCash

I hate U2 and their MOR Stadium Rock music and don't even get me started on Bono and his hat and the so called great guitar player The Edge.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KOJOE90
    I hate U2 and their MOR Stadium Rock music and don't even get me started on Bono and his hat and the so called great guitar player The Edge.
    I'm in full agreement with that. A long career and not a single song of theirs that I can say I truly like. Obviously I'm in the minority but I just never 'got' the band that is U2.

vCash

Disagree there musically. Your telling me there isn't a single song on the Joshua Tree you don't think is a great song?

I'm not a fan of what they've become and their recent material and Bono's ego has certainly inflated beyond belief but from their first albulm Boy through Achtung Baby they produced some fantastic music. As with all bands that get that big they've produced a backlash with lots of people now saying their stuff is "over-rated".

I say BS, there hasn't been a band in the last 20 years (and that's 90s through 2000s) that has come NEAR to producing music of the quality U2 has IMO.

What has rock given us these past 20 years? Grunge (which had some decent stuff but seems to have forever destroyed the use of harmonies and sense of fun in rock n' roll), really crap AOR rock like Nickleback and Matchbox 20, and then your crappy rap-rock hybrid garbage like Linkin Park. I'll take U2 over that anyday of the week.
    Last edited by hagler04; 07-17-2010 at 12:01 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Hagler's right. I think both The Joshua Tree & Rattle & Hum were superb albums. Joshua Tree was down right innovative as they created a unique sound for themselves & some well crafted songs.

Since then then they've left me pretty much cold musically but you have to be very prejudiced to not be able to see that they are terrific at what they do.

For instance, I've never liked Led Zep. But just because you don't personally like something doesn't automatically mean it's garbage. That's a very narrow view of music.

I don't like Zep or the present day U2 or the Dave Mathews band at all. But I absolutely realize they are all masters of their particular genre.

I also believe you have to learn to separate the performer from the music. Yes, Bono can be a real dipstick & his shtick gets tired but the reality is that he has helped a lot of helpless people with his causes. So what's the harm in that? I work in the music biz & if I didn't separate the art from the artist I would't be able to listen to half of the music I do. For instance I know some really good, sensitive singer/songwriters who are just absolute pricks, totally insufferable... But that doesn't mean their music stinks.

It's just them that stinks, not the songs...

GorDoom

vCash

U2 is one of my all time favorite bands. Bono is a great showman and singer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04
    Disagree there musically. Your telling me there isn't a single song on the Joshua Tree you don't think is a great song?
    In my opinion there are no great songs on Joshua Tree and yes I have listened to it many times as I had friends at the time that were big U2 fans.

Gordoom

I admit they are good at what they do, but what they do I find so boring. Growing up in the UK when U2 started making waves in the early 80's they came along with other groups of a simular style such as Simple Minds and Big Country. To me they were all watered down post-punk moving into MOR proto-stadium rock.

At the time I was listening to the likes of The Specials, The Cure, Madness, Joy Division. Jesus & The Mary Chain, Suicide, The Fall onto The Smiths etc to me then and still far more exciting and interesting than U2 and the like.

As far as rock from the last 20 years or so give me The Pixies anytime over U2

vCash

It is refreshing, whatever anyone thinks of Bono, and personally, I thinks he's great, that a mega-star of that stature is so very giving! I mean really...can you imagine Lady Gaga ever in that light, or a world full of spoiled, self-serving entertainers...that's not a world I want to live in!

KOJO---What is your preference in music if you don't like any U2 whatsoever?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BDeskins
    KOJO---What is your preference in music if you don't like any U2 whatsoever?
    Phew where to start? Well off the top off my head in no particular order.

Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Otis Reading, Can, Kraftwerk, Guru Guru, The Buzzcocks, The Small Faces, The Kinks, Prince Buster, Jimmy Cliff, Lee Perry, King Tubby, The Clash, Wire, Suicide, The Specials, Madness, Blur, Elastica, Echobelly, Cocteau Twins, Stereolab, Grandaddy, Public Enemy, Belle & Sebastian, Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, Neil Young, Acid Mothers Temple, Beth Orton, Field Music, Wild Beasts, Teenage Fanclub, St Ettienne, The Fall, The Pixies, Nirvana, Gallon Drunk, Man Or Astoman, Dick Dale, Gene, Maximo Park, Ladytron, Super Furry Animals, Funkadelic, My Bloody Valentine, Arab Strap, Bjork, Shop Assistants, Calexico, The Velvet Underground, Johnny Cash, Nick Cave, Johnny Dowd, Shonen Knife, The Wedding Present, Clinic, Luna, Julian Cope, The Detroit Cobras, The Cure, XTC, Depeche Mode, DJ Shadow, Nick Drake, PJ Harvey, Billy Childish, House Of Locem Jesus & The Mary Chain, REM, Mazzy Star, Vanpire Weekend, Talking Heads, The White Stripes, Pentangle, Cud, Tindersticks, The Editors, Interpol............ etc the list goes on.

vCash

I dislike Bono and U2, but to be honest, they did have some really really good stuff, particularly Rattle and Hum and The Joshua Tree. Also, Achtung Baby was superb. They were never the natural musicians like the Beatles or Queen, but with the talent they did have, they put together some impressive stuff.

As for now, they are pretty poor, living off past successes and running out of ideas.

BTW, as to Bono's crusading, this is a chap who dislikes paying tax to my country and his country, yet berates and lectures the Irish taxpayer on "their commitments." Anyone seriously believing that this guys' crusade is genuine and from the heart, is IMO a wee bit gullible

vCash

You fellas really think that this twat and his mate, Gelfof, are helping?

Yeah, lobbying and lecturing for population increase in a continent that cannot feed and shelter what they have is far from helping. Its downright reckless.
    Last edited by walshb; 07-18-2010 at 03:46 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1
    U2 is one of my all time favorite bands. Bono is a great showman and singer.
    I disagree. A very average singer, and a absolute poser on stage. He resemble a dog taking a piss, with that one leg raise of his.

U2s shows bang out so much trickery and gimmicks that folks get duped into
    thinking that it is them who are the show. Put U2 alone with nothing but them and the audience and then you will see the real thing, or not.
    Last edited by walshb; 07-20-2010 at 01:48 PM.

vCash

Give me a break, "Bono an average singer" . . listen to his performance during Live Aid. The man can belt out a tune like him or not.

KOJOE: I like the Specials too, but to claim they are a better band than U2 is pretty amazing. I bet the Specials themselves (and the wide majority of the bands you listed) wouldn't make that claim.

Funny thing is I went through a period in college when I thought U2 were over-rated, and was sick of hearing them on the radio. But with age I've grown to recongize that even though I might have heard "I Still Haven't Found" on the radio enough times for my ears to bleed, it's still a fantastic song.

But we'll just agree to disagree. I think part of your dislike is the fact they became megastars though . . if U2 had remained an underground band I reckon your sentiments may differ.

vCash

Give me a break, "Bono an average singer" . . listen to his performance during Live Aid. The man can belt out a tune like him or not.

There was one band at Live Aid, and it wasn't U2. Bono's voice is gravelly, far from polished. He is not a singer, nor known for being a singer. The guy gets by with what he has. Better as a singer than Dylan? Yes, but still nothing
    to get at all excited about.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    There was one band at Live Aid, and it wasn't U2. Bono's voice is gravelly, far from polished. He is not a singer, nor known for being a singer. The guy gets by with what he has. Better as a singer than Dylan? Yes, but still nothing
    to get at all excited about.
    I didn't want to say it because it sounds like cursing in the church, glad you did, but I fully agree with ya. Never understood what the fuzz about U2 was all about.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    I dislike Bono and U2,
    And that from an Irishman! In this case I agree with you but I hope you have a better opinion about Rory Gallagher.
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 07-18-2010 at 05:20 PM.

vCash

As musicians I believe U2 have gotten the most out of their abilities, peaking with "The Joshua Tree" which to me is a classic album. After that they became "Rock Stars" and Bono believed he was some "Shaman" of rock...
    His posing at times is so laughable, I recall watching a live DVD where he had on clown-like devil makeup (while posing) looking like some bizarre evil La Cage aux falles cast member....
    Bobcat Goldwait lampooned him best on an old comedy show, (which I can't find on You-tube).

vCash

KOJO---I see bands that you list who would fall into the U2 style, but far less successful and talented! I mean I like the Pixies, but talented musicians they are not, nor are many others...although it was good to see that you listed Mazzy Star...you are the first person that I have seen besides myself to mention Mazzy Star...I like their first three albums, but "So Tonight That I might See" is a great album! I didn't expect you to be so eclectic in your music taste...usually anyone with tastes that diverse can easily find a few U2 songs they like...that is if they have ever really listened to several U2 albums! I mean u2 were really alternative before alternative was considered cool and you like a slew of alternative bands, which I do as well!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to Geldof and Bono...well...when someone can show me that they have contributed as much to mankind as those two have...then they have something to gripe about...until then it just looks like a certain rich, self-serving, political party, that I won't mention the name of, but they typically shun charity...unless it is some kind of charity to benefit them, or they're party, but it looks like that kind of view of everyone else the world in general...especially the less fortunate!

Hell, I can name a shitload of rich, rich, stinking rich people that that whine about paying taxes and most of the time...avoids paying taxes through bullshit loop-holes! And these people do no kind of charity work!

There is really, really something wrong with this country when someone like me, who barely breaks the poverty level of pay is completely alright with being taxed, yet millionaires and billionaires complain, like little bitches, that it is hard to make ends meet due to their tax load...give me a break...maybe if a the person wipes their ass with diamond flaked toliet paper, but really it all, charity and everything boils down to selfishness and America is the most selfish country in the world! And no I don't hate my country...I just don't like a lot of the people in it!
    Last edited by BDeskins; 07-19-2010 at 06:49 AM.

vCash

Barry, what exactly has Bono and Geldof contributed?

Just because they mouth off constantly, berate and lecture, get photos taken
    with powerful people etc, that doesn't mean a thing. These twats are media whores, nothing more.

When Bono publicly comes out and tells those he is lecturing that HE himself has personally donated a large portion of his wealth to good causes, with proof, then I may take this guy seriously. Otherwise, as far as I am concerned, he does fuck all and gives fuck all. He knows what I and many others give, so maybe we want to know what he gives.

The truth be known, all this lecturing and harassing govts to drop debt, to throw more money at wasted causes etc is causing more problems in the third world. Cancelling debt is not a good thing. It means that those in debt will forever be indebted and in the pockets of the lender.

Many Africans themselves will tell you this. Interference from the WEST and interference from runts like Bono is not contribution, it is harmful.

vCash

The fact that they actually visit places in Africa...quite often...and then bring the issues to people around the world...well that alone would be plenty, but both Bono and Geldof have given large sums of their money to charity...look it up!

So what is your solution...let the very less fortunate just die out?

How much have you given to charity?

vCash

walsh and tdko hit the nail on the head.. for the most part in my opinion. I'm styling myself "Guapo" these days. I'm off to find a camera crew and get the mayor to appoint me some humanitarian ambassador. From there I will lecture the people making minimum wage to do more (of what I think they should do) then, after furrowing my brow during my jaunt through the ghetto, hit lunch with the *insert celebrity poser* equivalent here. You know, a guy who compared to minimum wage people makes 300,000 dollars.
    Last edited by Sharkey; 07-20-2010 at 08:59 AM.

vCash

Add me to the list of people who just don't get why U2 is so popular. But credit as due - they know how to attract fans. Mucially vapid fans, mostly though.

I will say that they again go to prove my personal rule that if a band you hate sticks around long enough they will eventually put out a song you like. In my case with U2 it is "Desire". Everything else of theirs is an instant "change the station" for me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BDeskins
    How much have you given to charity?
    Barry, you want the short answer? Too bloody much.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TKO11
    Add me to the list of people who just don't get why U2 is so popular. But credit as due - they know how to attract fans. Mucially vapid fans, mostly though.

I will say that they again go to prove my personal rule that if a band you hate sticks around long enough they will eventually put out a song you like. In my case with U2 it is "Desire". Everything else of theirs is an instant "change the station" for me.
    i feel the same way. they do nothing for me. whenever i see bono singing/posing with his eyes closed and his arms toward the sky i want to hurl. so much drama, so much effect yet i often wonder why he is so off key.

greg

vCash

I agree with one of the earlier posts that with the BOY album you could lump them in with so many other bands, but somehow U2 kept going as the other bands split up and faded, gathering new fans along the way.

I had to check the song listings from JOSHUA TREE and RATTLE AND HUM to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything that I liked and I stand firm on not liking any of those songs.

TKO listed DESIRE which has to be my least favourite U2 song for the simple fact that it is such a blatant rip-off of BO DIDDLEY, a rhythm style that's been hacked...oh I don't know....a million other times over the past 50 years. I actually cringe when I hear the opening chords. Meanwhile teenage girls get moist between the legs admiring Bono and clan's originality and uniqueness.

Also chalk me down with contempt for the STREETS HAVE NO NAME video which is a blatant rip-off of The Beatles LET IT BE rooftop session. Again, does U2 think they are being clever and original with this stuff?

Anyway colour me in the minority for not liking them or their songs. They certainly have fans that love them. I'm just not one of them.
    Last edited by 10-8; 07-20-2010 at 02:02 PM.

vCash

KOJOE: I like the Specials too, but to claim they are a better band than U2 is pretty amazing. I bet the Specials themselves (and the wide majority of the bands you listed) wouldn't make that claim.

But we'll just agree to disagree. I think part of your dislike is the fact they became megastars though . . if U2 had remained an underground band I reckon your sentiments may differ.
    hagler04

For me The Specials are a better band becuase I prefere to listen to them than I do U2. I find them more enjoyable and interesting to listen to, so for me they are better. Depends on how you define 'better'.

As to your second point, you counld not be more wrong for the following reasons

(1) I already stated I never liked U2 from the start and listed several bands I prefered to listen to at the time (and still do) this was years before U2 became 'mainstream'

(2) You claim I in part dislike U2 because they became 'magastars' you are so very, very wrong again, first I doubt care wether a band/artist I like sells 1 CD or 100 million. Also if this is true hagler04 please explain to me why I have been a fan of the following for over 20 years Depeche Mode, Prince, REM and Bob Marley all HUGE artists with massive mainstream success over the years?

vCash

What a better band is is hard to tell. The Rolling Stones individually aren’t that great musicians. But when together they are the most successful band ever. It’s chemical. If Bono was the singer of the Rolling Stones we may never have heard of them. And if Mick Jagger was the singer of U2 we also may not have heard of U2.
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 07-20-2010 at 03:25 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

As a 40 year veteran of the music biz reading your misinformed fan boy views on music really make me laugh... The prevelant theme with you guys is that if you don't like something than it just HAS to be crap because who in the world could possibly have a better musical taste than you do, yeah right...

Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean it's bad, Just like what you like, is not necessarily good. But these unilateral, "I don't like it so it's crap" missives are so short sighted it's ridiculous. Open up your ears & be willing to accept other forms of music otherwise your gonna be stuck listening to the same narrow access & miss out on a whole lot of great music.

Or just keep doing what your doing & bitch & moan about the same stuff into eternity... Your just cutting off your ears to spite yourself.

GorDoom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast