vCash

Wlad-Peter rematch instead of Povetkin

vCash

Re: Wlad-Peter rematch instead of Povetkin

dig .... don't even bother.

greg

vCash

So where is that magic Teddy Atlas touch after all this time?

vCash

Lol wasn't Povetkin supposed to fight Wlad in December 08 but injured his foot? TWO YEARS later & he's still not ready.

Remember when everybody was high on Alex in 06, 07? Now his own team don't believe in him. Embarrassing. Wlad/Slob Peter 2 is lame. I see Wlad/Rahman replay here. Save us Adamek!

Administrator
    vCash

Yeah this fight has quietly become one of the longest, on-going sagas in boxing.

I personally think Povetkin is as ready as he will ever be. He has enough aggression in him to make Wlad uncomfortable and the power to back it up, but his defense may ultimately let him down. I don't think Atlas is going to teach this kid enough defense to make much of a difference without messing up his style.

BUT, I think Atlas is correct career-wise. Given that Povetkin probably won't win, he should stretch out his ability to make money. And since he is exciting to watch & could put fans in the seats, why not? Might as well clean out the division a little, create some buzz in the US, THEN wager against a Klitschko when it actually matters. If he were to lose now, it would take a while for him to be as relevant as he is even know.

So I don't like that the fight isn't coming off, but I get it. In the meantime I hope Atlas gets this kid some US airtime.

Meanwhile, I expect Wlad to make relatively short work of Peter this time around. Peter will never be the same after the beating he took from big bro & is there to be KOd for Wlad.

vCash

Povetkin is a volume puncher with poor defense and without much punching power . . .no training drills from Atlas is going to change that after hundreds of amateur fights and 5 years as a pro, and I think Teddy knows that as well.

Peter will suck per usual. His speed and energy level has only gone downhill since his first fight with Wlad, and since he's never learned how to properly box, he'll do the usual plod plod wild swing, push push jab, eat jabs and right hands mamba the whole fight. His performance vs Vitali remains one of the worst exhibits of pugilism by a supposed top 5 fighter I've ever seen.

vCash

If there was a "Good news in Boxing" thread would it die a lonely death?....

vCash

This fight is 5 years too damn late. Once again, this is what pisses me off about Wlad. He is protected by Steward because even though Wlad has boxing skills, power, and strength..... his chin is fragile and his stamina is questionable. It is bullshit to want to fight Peter who did not show up to fight against Vitaly and GOD knows how lousy his physical condition will be. He fought Brewster 3 years too late and only after a long layoff and eye surgery. I would have more respect for these rematches with Peter and Brewster had they occurred more closely to Wlad's initial fights. Kind of like Has been Rahman coming in fat as hell for a paycheck. Let Peter fight Arreola. Manny has been protecting Wlad. For him to do this in a division that sucks more than ever speaks volumes.

vCash

Wlad is not protected, Povetkin drop out on his own. Not Wlad's fault.

Outside of Haye and Povetkin, there is relly no one else out there for Wlad(And I not counting VK)

It is not his fault that either one of em would want to share a ring with Wlad. Ok, he beat Peter again, perhaps even by ko this time, but after that, what??

Haye and Povetkin seem to be doing there best to make sure that Wlad is not in the same ring as them.

vCash

I admit that the division sucks right now, but when did the rematch against Lamon Brewster happen? 3 years later and only after Brewster had a few more life and death fights and also after a layoff/eye surgery. Remember the excuses after his loss to Brewster in the 1st fight? When there was momentum to why he was not fighting Peter again a few years ago.... better chinned and big brother Vitaly to the rescue. As a few other guys have stated... Vitaly fights the punchers and Wlad fights everyone else. Arreola vs. Wlad would have been more compelling, but which Klit brother did he fight? I don't blame him for Povetkin pulling out, but this 5 year too late rematch with Peter does not impresse me. Remember the Davaryl Williams fight? The same Williams that Mesi destroyed in one round floored Wlad and lost a split tech. decision. Remember Rahman? Wlad could have fought him much earlier, but when did he fight him? The fat out of shape replacement at the last minute Rahman. Yeah that really sounds like you are taking a risk. Wlad had no problem taking on Chris Byrd and even Manny calling out Chris Byrd.... there was no calling out of Peters. Now when Peter's physical condition, hunger, desire, work ethic, etc. are question marks, you want to fight him? That would be like Joe Louis getting a rematch with Max Schmeling 5 years after losing to him. Louis wanted an immediate rematch, but kayoed Schmeling 2 years later. The fight could have happened much earlier, but Schmeling played hard to get. Like others have pointed out on this site..... Vitaly fights the punchers and Wlad fights everyone else. When he does fight guys that are dangerous it is years later when they are faded.

vCash

Wlad already beat Peter and handly imo.

The 3 knockdowns were by rabbit punchings imo.

Brewster was 3 years later but still, Wlad pretty much hop in the ring with Peter shortly after that lost.

vCash

The third knockdown in the Peter fight was from a right hand to the chin, and the 'rabbit punch' KDs from the 5th round were due to Wlad grabbing Peter and turning his head away. That fight was fair in that Neumann let Wlad get away with a load of holding but didn't deduct Peter when he hit Wlad while he was leaping into clinches and turning away.

Of course a competent ref would've disallowed the incessant holding and then penalized the rabbit punching, but hey . . .

Administrator
    vCash

Their fight was much more exciting to watch live when everyone highly doubted Wlad's ability to stay away from Peter all night. When you watch the fight over again, it really wasn't all that competitive if you take all of the drama out of it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04
    The third knockdown in the Peter fight was from a right hand to the chin, and the 'rabbit punch' KDs from the 5th round were due to Wlad grabbing Peter and turning his head away. That fight was fair in that Neumann let Wlad get away with a load of holding but didn't deduct Peter when he hit Wlad while he was leaping into clinches and turning away.

Of course a competent ref would've disallowed the incessant holding and then penalized the rabbit punching, but hey . . .
    You right on the money hagler04. I was just thinking about that. I imagine when Wlad beats an out of shape and disinterested Sam Peter, we may finally get the long awaited rematch with Corrie Sanders who blew away Wlad years ago.
    Better late than ever right?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sr71ko
    You right on the money hagler04. I was just thinking about that. I imagine when Wlad beats an out of shape and disinterested Sam Peter, we may finally get the long awaited rematch with Corrie Sanders who blew away Wlad years ago.
    Better late than ever right?
    hahaha

vCash

Dont recall Standers doing much since loseing to VK. I would not want to see it imo.

Administrator
    vCash

Oh sure, he wandered into the ring a sloppy mess a few times afterwards to collect a paycheck & lose.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by greek1237
    Dont recall Standers doing much since loseing to VK. I would not want to see it imo.
    Wlad wouldn't want to see it either, I'm guessing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    Wlad wouldn't want to see it either, I'm guessing.

Not sure on that, I think had they fight right now. It would be pretty much no contest and Wlad would win. Sanders has lost a lot since his bout the the Kilt brothers. I cant see Sanders repeating the tko win.

vCash

The offer the K brothers made to Haye was crazy. If Haye beats W.K. then he would have to fight V.K. If Haye wins that one then he has to fight W.K. in a rematch. With The K brothers walking away with 80% of the money and Haye gets none of the live gate in all three fights. So I don't think Haye is running from them. This is why with have Wlad vs Peter. The same Peter who I thought loss to a big fat old middleweight in James Toney in there first fight.

Administrator
    vCash

If Haye really thought he was all that, he would have gone for it. Plain & simple. He just knows he's not like most of the world does by now by his bullshit antics.

vCash

I'm so excited I could soil myself.

Administrator
    vCash

vCash

This is one of those Heavyweight fights that make me so glad I was not born in the late 1940's and then have to endure the snoozefest Heavyweight scene of the 60's & 70's.

vCash

Gor , if it's PPV will you be buying it ?

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

I'd rather watch competitive knitting.

GorDoom

+ Reply to Thread