Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Tiger: Activities

Adeyinka

Dick Tiger: Activities

In the cause of promoting the illustrious name of Dick Tiger and the biography I have penned about him, I will be participating in the following interviews and events:

1 On Wednesday 21st September I will be interviewed by Bob Haynie on a US sports talk station, WNST Baltimore. This will be at 1pm Eastern Standard Time (6pm UK time) and a live stream is available on the internet.www.wnst.net/

2 Later on this week, I will be interviewed by ABC Sports of BEN TV, the African orientated cable outlet based in London. This will be pre-recorded and broadcast this Saturday, 24th September. www.bentelevision.com

3 I will be interviewed on Saturday, 24th September on Voice of Africa Radio, an internet radio outlet. www.voiceofafricaradio.com

4 On Saturday October 1st I will be renting a stall at the Novotel Hotel, Hammersmith, in west London at an annual boxing do between 2 and 7pm. It is an annually held boxing aficionado sort of convention staged by Chas Taylor.

5 On Tuesday October 11th I will be presenting a seminar on Dick Tiger at the Centerprise Bookshop in Dalston from 7.30pm

6 I ought also to be reprising a seminar I did last year on 'The Sportsman and the American Civil Rights Movement- focusing on Muhammed Ali' soon after this, presumably at the College of North East London in Tottenham. It is part of a Black History Month event sponsored by the Trades Union Congress. Date yet to be set.

I will update on any changes to times, dates and so on.

---Ade Makinde

Roberto Aqui
    Yeah, but can you fight?

Just funnin'! Tiger is a guy who's story can't be told enough and it appears you've done a fine job on his bio. I used to use Tiger as a subject to have some fun with some Nigerians I used to work with. After the laughs, we all agreed he was a mighty man.

Adeyinka
    Hmmmn. Thanks alot for the compliment.

I would also venture to say that getting a book in the major stores as well as some decent publicity is one hell of a fight in itself!!!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my first foray into US airwaves.....

Ronald Lipton

Dear Ade,

I wish I could be right next to you for the whole thing.

Good luck with it all, the book remains my favorite boxing book that is so meticulously documented and at such a high level that it is not only a great story about such a wonderful champion, but it the quintessential piece of research material to refer to for so many lucious boxing tidbits too about one of my favorite eras in the sport.

Great job Ade,

Ron

BoxofDaylight
    You might consider going to the BoxRec Boxing Encyclopedia's page on Tiger, creating a free account, and editing the Tiger page by including a biography:
    www.boxrec.com/media/inde...ger:009010

Adeyinka

Re: BoxofDayLight

I couldn't quite get into the link and tried the search mechanism at the boxrec site to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion.

BoxofDaylight

Strange that link doesn't work. When you get there, type in "Dick Tiger" in the search box. That should get you to his page.

Adeyinka

Re: Interview on the Bob Haynie Show WNST Baltimore

Phew!!! Well that was a hell of an experience.I hope that I gave a good account of the book and myself.

I think that it lasted for about 25 minutes and Bob's style is great in that he lets the person talk. He's obviously the boxing fan (although I was sandwiched between enourmous talk about two rather esoteric yankee pursuits -Gridiron and more Gridiron ) he told me in a pre-talk. He watched one of Sugar Ray Leonard's early professional fights as a 12 year old and Burt Sugar and Hasim Rahman are regulars on his show.

I hope to get a copy of the interview and be able to upload it onto my website -along with other upcoming promotional engagements.

Adeyinka

Re: reply

Thank you very much Ron for your kind words. Did you listen to the broadcast? I gave you a mention......

Adeyinka

Thanks for that. I got through. It's similar to the wikipedia format. Most interesting......

rocky111

To Ade

I wish I could hear it too. I loved the book also Ade. The combining of Tigers career and the Biafian situation is masterful and the only thing of its kind I have ever read. I wish all could read it and educate themselves on the war and Tigers commitment. Youre on the job and its a meaningful one. yur pal Rock.
    I recommend this book to any boxing fan.

Adeyinka

Re: Thanks Rock

Thank you for your very supportive words Rock. It means a lot coming from a man of your stature.

I will collect as many CDs and videos of these engagements. In fact I just got an email from the public relations officer of an Igbo Community group enquiring as to whether I would be available to give a presentation in November -particularly to educate those younger memebers who were born in England and Ireland.

The book will also be reviewed in Ring Magazine on sale from November 1st.

Best

--Ade

StingerKarl

Re: Thanks Rock

Tiger was one of my Heroes.
    Good Job, Ade.
    Karl

Adeyinka

Re: Thanks Karl

I appreciate your comments sir. Dick Tiger was a foreigner in the vast sea of the USA and so many Americans of a certain age consider him not only in dispassionate terms as a good fighter but as their 'hero.'

It is those qualities which he had as both a fighter and a man that I am hoping to bring to the attention of those who know not of him.

Adeyinka

Re: Revised

DICK TIGER ENGAGEMENTS

Fulfilled

1 Interviewed on the Bob Haynie Show on WNST Sports Talk, Baltimore on Wednesday 21st September 2005

Scheduled

1 Dick Tiger Bookstall as part of Chas Taylor’s annual boxing convention at the Novotel Hotel West, 1 Shortlands, Hammersmith London W6 8DR, on Saturday 1st October 2005. 2pm to 7pm

2 Presenting Dick Tiger Seminar at the Centerprise Bookshop, 136-138 Kingsland High Street London E8 2NS, on Tuesday 11th October 2005. 7.30 pm. Tel: 0207-254-9632

3 Interview with Umar Abdullah Johnson on Harambee Radio Network. Tuesday, 18th October 2005. 11pm (EST) /4a.m.BST www.harambeeradio.com

4 Presenting Seminar entitled ‘The Role of the Sportsman in the American Civil Rights Movement: Focusing on Muhammad Ali at the College of North East London High Road Tottenham N15 4RW, on Saturday 29th October 2005. Part of activities related to Black History Month sponsored by the Trades Union Congress. From 12 noon.

5 Presenting Dick Tiger Seminar before the UK & Ireland Branch of the Ebonyi State Union at Shoreditch Church Hall, Shoreditch High Street London E1 on Saturday 12th November 20005 at 6pm.

Pending

1 Interview with Voice of Africa Radio, a London based Internet radio station. www.voiceofafricaradio.com

2 Interview on ABC Sport of BEN TV. www.bentelevision.com

3 Interview with Kayode Tijani’s ‘RS Sports’ on Revelation TV Sky Channel 767, Saturday evenings between 8.30 and 9.30pm. www.revelationtv.com

4 Interview with Marion Boykin on ‘Sports Box’, Blake Radio. www.blakeradio.com

5 Interview with Cheryl Robinson on ‘Book Talk Show,’ Harambee Radio Network. www.harambeeradio.com

Ade Makinde
    email: adeyinkamakinde@aol.com
    Mob: 07986-111-776

StingerKarl

Tiger

I just watched the Griffith-Tiger rematch and The Tiger was just a ghost of the magnificent fighting machine he once was.
    I am sure he was already sick and very tired in there; he just couldn't get off and Emile won every round.
    I hope Houston is on your tour stop when you come to the United States, Ade.
    Karl

Adeyinka

Re: Griffith Tiger & US Tour

Good Day Karl,

It is true to say that Tiger showed very little in the second Griffith fight and although he would not be diagnosed with liver cancer for one year, it is highly likely that the beginnings of the ailment were manifesting in his system.

It was a sad fight for a great ex-champion because although his flesh was willing, his body was not up to it. Did you notice a bit of banter between both men? It was sad for Tiger because Griffith was saying many mean spirited things to Tiger who had been his friend for over a decade. In fact Tiger, with worries about his extended family and their survival after the crushing defeat of Biafra and his fear that the Nigerian authorities would persecute him if he set foot back in Nigeria, had lost his temper with a Griffith acolyte (Bernard Forbes) at the fight weigh-in.

It must be said also that Griffith was also on something of a downward spiral because he would never win another world championship. He had lost to Jose Napoles in 1969 (going down to welterweight after his 'rubber match' loss to Nino Benvenuti at middleweight) and would lose to Carlos Monzon and a pre-champion Alan Minter.

I really hope that I can tour some American cities (towns and desolate outbacks too -if there are any potential Dick Tiger fans!) For now, I'll be doing radio spots but would dearly love to fit in any sort of engagements associated with ex-boxer associations or Hall of Fame stuff.

Houston would definitely be a place I'd love to visit.

All the best.

Adeyinka

Re:Boxing Memorabilia Fayre at Novotel Hammersmith

I had a wonderful, fruitful time at the Lonsdale sponsored Boxing Memorabilia Fayre at the Chablis Suite of the Novotel Hotel in Hammersmith, West London.

I attended its inaugural do in 1998 when they invited Ring 8 of New York. On that occasion, I met and spoke to Jose Torres and Emile Griffith along with Carlos Ortiz and Juan La Porte. Earnie Shavers was there too.

This is the sort of event where you find hardcore, historically aware boxing people. Many are ex-boxers (amateur and professional) and were fans of Dick Tiger. They came from far flung destinations of the British Isles like Exeter in Devon, Cardiff, Wales; Leighton Buzzard; Lincoln and West Yorkshire.

My stall was next to that of Jim & John Oliver of Finchley Boxing Club (father and uncle, respectively of Spencer Oliver, the former European featherweight champion) who were kind enough to give me a lift home in the club van. www.finchleyboxing.co.uk/home.html

The backdrop to things was that I arrived without a stock of books! My American publisher (in Pennsylvania) posted a box of them on the 19th of September and I paid the top rate 3-5 day delivery schedule but have been unable to track its whereabouts.

All I have is a single copy which I displayed for the perusal of customers (I also spread out a sample of the articles which I have written over the years). I simply took down the contact details of over two dozen persons -some of who made payments and many of which were multiple orders and will get in touch with them once I can ascertain the whereabouts of the books!

That apart, it was a great day for boxing banter and spreading the word. Former champions Charlie Magri and Billy Walker were present as well as Bernard Hart of Londsdale Sport and John McDonald of BBC Radio (and Sky TV announcer). A lady in the other stall adjoining mine was kind enough to give me a clear print photograph of the featherweight Hogan 'Kid' Bassey, Nigeria's first world boxing champion.

I understand that Boxing News, at the instigation of Chas Taylor, provided some pre-publicity for the event and mention was made of the Dick Tiger book. I'd love to get a copy of that.

The campaign continues........

StingerKarl

Forbes

Man; Ade mentioned Bernard Forbes.
    I haven't heard that name in around 20 years.
    He trained Mark Medal who was IBF Jr Middleweight Champion along with Emile from what I remember.
    That is a memory jarrer, that one.
    Incidentally; Medal fought almost exactly like Griffith did, very good and classy boxer/puncher, though not as good or as durable as Emile was.
    I think both Medal and Forbes dropped off the radar screen in the late 80's.
    Thanks for that info, Ade: I never knew Tiger had a falling out with Emile and Forbes, let alone anyone as he was such a gentleman.
    Karl

Adeyinka

Re: Forbes

A guy named Victor Zimet gave me the anecdote about Tiger losing his rag with Forbes on the morning of the weigh-in of their last fight. I found out from an English boxing fan (at the Fayre I was promoting my book) who had corresponded with him for sometime that Mr. Zimet passed away.

Mr. Zimet told me stories about Al 'Bummy' Davis and the Golden Gloves champions he trained over the years.

Adeyinka

Re: Dick Tiger Seminar 11th October 2005

I had a great time extolling the life and times of Dick Tiger at the seminar last Tuesday. Talk was interspersed with video clips from a US government made documentary on Tiger, the Biafran war and the fights he had with Roger Rouse, Bob Foster (first round only) and Nino Benvenuti. There was also a book signing at the end.

My next engagement will be an interview on Harambee Radio on Tuesday at 11 pm (United States EST) / 4 a.m. wednesday(BST).

I'm going to have to have an early night.

Ronald Lipton

Good luck on them all Ade, I wish I could hear every engagement.

I met someone from Lagos Nigeria who happened to be standing outside an Albany Correction Officer Training Center where my son was taking a test.

The woman about 34 years old, saw the Dick Tiger book on my lap while I was waiting outside and reading it.

I talked about Tiger to her and she confirmed several things in the book as to how the Nigerian-Biafra war was remembered, and Tiger's position. Also how Lagos has not changed much according to her. She also thought Hogan Kid Bassey was the greatest fighter to come out of Nigeria, until I told her more about Tiger, how Kid Bassey was his friend and attended his fights, and the mutual respect they had for each other.

It was a one in a million happening for the one person to be standing 3 feet away while I am reading the book, to be from Lagos Nigeria. Very surprising.

Best,

Ron

Adeyinka
    Thanks for that Ron.

There are many Nigerians all over the world now so much that I don't find that a surprise! There is such a brain drain -but that's another story.

As to the reason why this lady initially felt Bassey the greatest African fighter, I wonder if she herself comes from Bassey's part of the country or is she of a certain age group among who Bassey was known to while Tiger was dead and virtually forgotten?

As I told GorDoom when I joined the CBZ and repeated on the Bob Haynie show, I knew of Hogan Bassey because as a child, he was still prominent as Nigeria's amateur boxing coach. So when it was the Olympics, Commonwealth games, All African Games or West African games, Hogan "Don't forget your left" Bassey, was in the limelight.

Tiger had been dead for some years (and this may have obviously played a part in terms of knowing less of him compared to Bassey) but I came to understand that the reason for Tiger's lack of profile resided in something slightly sinister -he supported the Biafran side during the Nigerian Civil War and that was a kind of taboo. He could not be revived as the great hero that he was before the war.

Tiger won three undisputed championsgips and Bassey one. Bassey, though the trailblaiser, inspiration and mentor to Tiger, spent less time in the limelight of championship boxing compared to Tiger's tenure of about a decade.

I love them both but Tiger's story not only carries much more resonance than Bassey's, his was the more successful career.

As to the matter of Lagos not changing, in what context was she referring to Ron? Is it the hustle and bustle, vibrant aspect? I would agree to that. AS a dangerous, over crowded city? I would agree. As a city unsafe for Igbos (Tiger's ethnic group)? I wouldn't go that far. The book mentions the fact that after the assassination of the Igbo military ruler in 1966 and pogroms directed at them even Tiger, the then national hero could not risk going through Lagos airport to New York.
    In Lagos now, as indeed soon after the war when their was an unprecedented reconciliation, Igbos are very prominent in commerce, arts and academia.

Thanks again Ron for that recollection. I will send you CD's of radio interviews and I hope to post pictures of the events once I can get them scanned.

Adeyinka

Re: Dick Tiger Interview

My interview with Umar Abdullah Johnson on Harambee Radio (www.harambee.com) has been postponed to next Tuesday October 25th 11pm (US EST) / 4am (UK time).

There was a technical hitch in getting to me in London.

Ronald Lipton

Re: Dick Tiger Interview

thank you Ade,

I can't wait to get them and hear the interview.

As to the context this lady meant her comment I would venture that she felt it had not progressed up to her image of what she envisioned sophistication and recreation with a Western spin should be. Just a guess from her other conversation.

StingerKarl

I watched the entire version with the Don Dunphy call of Griffith-Tiger 2 from MSG, and I did give Dick 3 rounds after I saw the entire fight this time around, and had it 7 to 3 for Emile rather than a shutout as I did before. Tiger was angry and bitter after the fight and implied to Don Dunphy that Gil Clancy had something to do with Griffith getting the verdict of the officials and said he thought he indeed had won. On the other hand; Emile told Dunphy that Tiger wouldn't fight and he had to do all of the punching. And I did see the ref in the last round warn them to quit talking to one another after I zoomed the tape in and Griffith mouthed "Chump" to Tiger. Emile was doing an Ali imitation as well that Don said he never saw Griffith act like that before. Defintely bad blood there as Ade eluded to earlier.
    Karl

Adeyinka

Re: Tiger v Griffith Fight 2 (1970)

I wish I could see the whole fight and the post fight commentary. All I've seen are the briefest of highlights together with contemporary match reports in the New York Times, Boxing News (London) as well as the pre- and post-fight information supplied by the Late Victor Zimet and Ron Lipton all of which formed the coverage in my book.

There was a definite hostile animus in the air which was sad because both Tiger and Griffith had been friends from when Griffith was still a Golden Gloves champion making the transistion to the professional ranks.

All the reports made it out to be a shutout. It is interesting that Karl feels Tiger won some rounds. But was this due only to Tiger moving forward and Griffith possibly doing little or nothing in those rounds. Did Tiger connect with solid shots to Griffiths body or jolt him with any punches?

Ron says Griffith was apologetic when he raised the matter during one of Griffiths visits to his home in recent years. I would like to see Tiger's post fight commentary accusing Clancy. Tiger sometimes did not mince his words.

Things, I suppose, were said in the heat of battle and the heat of rivalry. Both men were on a downward spiral. This would prove to be Tiger's last while Griffith lost to the likes of Monzon and Minter during the 70s and would never gainanother belt.

StingerKarl

Tiger moved in and scored some good and sharp flurries several times that I feel shaded him some rounds as Griffith didn't do a whole lot in some rounds. I can make a tape of it for you if you have a VHS over there, or maybe you can have it converted. Another interesting post fight comment made by Gil was: "Emile is the best fighter in the world, Don. He just went to Europe and beat the number 1 middleweight, undefeated Tom Boggs. Tonight he decisively beat the world's top light heavyweight contender and gave up ten pounds to him. I don't know what we have to do to get another shot at Benvenuti!"
    Karl

Adeyinka

I would definitely like a tape and I hope we can work something out soon. The video systems in the UK made in recent years are all NTSC and PAL compatible.

I have promised to send/exchange tapes with others but have not got round to doing it because of work and book promotion commitments. I need to itemise a number of fights.

I've heard of this Tom Boggs guy but was he any good? Griffith had lost to Jose Napoles at welterweight the previous year.

starlingstomp

Bogs was a good technician, but lacked power..He was certainly a legit top ten middleweight in his prime.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast