The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adamek-Grant

vCash

Re: Adamek-Grant

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1
    I was quoting CBS sportsline.com.
    This is hard to believe. The reporter from CBS sportsline.com should have his reporter's license revoked if he thought Adamek won by one point. You gotta be kidding me. That reporter is dangerous.

Administrator
    vCash

I don't see how that was debatable whatsoever.
    Just for starters, Adamek won the first 6 rounds EASILY.
    He did then get rocked pretty badly at the very end of the 6th but was easily dodging each of Grant's follow-up shots until the round ended. He was fine.
    The next few rounds afterwards, it was apparent Adamek had new found respect and seemed to tire (as he has late in all of his fights at heavy). But nonetheless, Adamek picked it up a notch the last 3 rounds and closed out the fight. Many of these "big" shots Grant was said to land after the 6th were shown to be either grazing shots or 100% blocked on replays.

It was a somewhat exciting fight but definitely no life & death battle. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a "walk in the park" for Adamek, but he was in control all night and the fight only became a little interesting when he gassed. Grant was slow, sloppy and hesitant to fire like he has been throughout his entire career. He even made someone like Adamek look like Willie Pep at some points. But to his credit, Grant was never seriously hurt or wobbled. His defense and his ability to use his size were also better than I expected to see. Adamek's arms are so damn short, its amazing to me that he landed anything upstairs at all. I was hoping he would target the body a little more but when Adamek got in close to Grant, there was always a sea of arms in the way of his combinations. I guess Grant did was well as could be expected from him, but he was most certainly out-boxed, out-hustled and won 2 maybe 3 rounds at best.

Adamek is a hell of a brave guy and is exactly what the boxing needs right now, but he will be starched by a Klit in short order if a fight with either brother is made. I think this fight with Grant may have opened his eyes to this reality a little more. Grant was tossing Adamek around like a rag doll at times. I'm sure he will get his goal of a payday versus a Klit at some big arena in Europe, but it will be a short night for all.

vCash

I'm afraid, ditto Haye.

The return of Michael Spinks, the 2010 edition.

vCash

I have to give credit where it is due: Grant exceeded my (and quite a few others' here on CBZ) expectations with his performance against Adamek.

While he didn't throw nearly enough punches to stay close on the scorecards, his jab was solid and he had Tomasz wobbled on several occasions. He stood up well to the in and out, pot-shotting offense Adamek offered, and showed plenty of heart. If only his ambition and ring intelligence matched that heart we might be discussing a different result altogether.

Adamek, unfortunately, displayed again how frighteningly-easy he is to hit, which will not serve him well against either Klit brother. I do think he's got a chance against Wlad, but only if he breaks character and goes for broke early on. If he tries the style used most recently against Arreola and Grant, Wlad's jab is going to bust him up easily.

While not PPV-worthy in any sense, this was an enjoyable scrap, especially in a division that has been bereft of any meaningful action for so long. It wasn't a cakewalk for Adamek, but neither was it a one-point win (I had him up 9-3).

Kyoodle

vCash

Promotional note (from Max Boxing):

Kathy Duva and Main Events better be careful. If they keep drawing the way they did on Saturday night with Tomasz Adamek (over 10,000 lively partisans) sheíll never secure a date on HBO.

But seriously, in watching the pay-per-view, you could just feel the passion and energy inside the Prudential Center long before the popular Pole stepped in the ring against Michael Grant. But just think about what has taken place in boxing over the previous three weeks. You had consecutive shows in major metropolitan markets (St. Louis, Montreal and Newark) that were well-attended and provided a great night of entertainment (which is a key element in all this but unfortunately forgotten by most decision-makers in this industry) and were all staged by real promoters and they didnít involve the usual suspects- and you know who Iím referring to.

Coincidence?

I think not.

vCash

Just watched the whole thing on youtube, full respect to Michael Grant. Nearly 40 years old, took everything Adamek could throw without so much as a wobble, and instead he hurt Adamek several times & was roughing up the top contender in the final round!

Never ever thought I would see Grant do that; Call me perverse but I wouldn't mind seeing Grant in with a fellow veteran like Rahman or Tua, I think he could get rid of most of them.

Administrator
    vCash

Ha! Maybe he could be competitive in the old man circuit. These other has-beens keep trying to earn money, so why shouldn't he? Grant was never a great boxer but he did all he could do with what he had as a guy who picked up boxing as a second career. He showed up in-shape and came to fight the other night, which is better than what you can say about a lot of these slobs. You have to give the guy some credit in there somewhere.

vCash

Speaking of credit, Adamek has stirred up some interest in the moribund heavyweight division. For that alone, hurray for Tomas! May he string it out to mid-2011...and beyond? Doubtful.

vCash

Don't get me wrong, I like Adamek. But make no mistake, he is NOT a decent heavyweight fighter. Nobody likes the Klitschkos less than me, bot Tomasz would not be competitive against either of them. He has some skills and plenty of guts, but I saw nothing impressive whatsoever in his fight with Grant (or really with Arreola for that matter). Grant has not had a significant win in over 10 years, and looked incredibly clumsy to me on Saturday. His skills and technique are amateurish. In spite of that, had he thrown more than a weary arm punch by the 12th round I believe he would have gotten Adamek out of there. Let's not forget that Adamek clearly lost to light heavyweight Chad Dawson who looked infinitely beatable against Pascal last week. I want a real fighter to join the heavyweight ranks as much as anybody, but we are fooling ourselves to think Tomasz can do it. Would he even beat the Chagaev's or Igbrahamov's of the world? I am not convinced he would, and they were dominated by Klitschko. I would like to see Tomasz against David Haye (since he is a blown up cruiser with a dicey chin and questionable toughness), but I doubt Haye has the balls to fight anyone who might hang in there for a few rounds and fight.

vCash

I have no problem with or enjoying Adamek's fight, but I just feel his "success" at HW is more a reflection of the padling pool depth of the division moreso than his ascendancy to the weight class.

I never felt anything but confusion as to why a guy who was dropped by a Paul Briggs jab in their second fight and was getting tagged all night in a close victory was considering HW a viable option.

The Arreola fight showed he could box, but Wladimir will spear him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12