Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max Baer in "The Harder They Fall"

Kid Achilles

Max Baer in "The Harder They Fall"

I have not yet seen the film. I just now realized that when Baer acted in The Harder They Fall he around 47 years old. How does he look in the film? Was he in fighting shape? I've read the novel and if I recall correctly Bud Brannen (the character Baer plays) was a younger star, not an old veteran. How convincingly does he play and look a young boxer?

HEGrant
    He looks like you would expect...no where near his fighting shape...from certain angles he looks O.K. but from others he looks like an older, semi-athletic gut holding his gut in...arms a bit thin, ect...

Ronald Lipton

He looked just horribly unhealthy and died shortly thereafter at age 50.

There was not a muscle with tone left in his whole body, although the shoulder girth was just tremendous as always. His voice sounded so bizzare it was one plateau above throat cancer and a voice box with hand held amplifier.

I always used to think that was his natural voice until I saw the Prizefighter and the Lady and heard his high sounding voice like Dempsey's.

He did a credible job in the Harder they Fall, although in his two major films the irony of him first blasting out Carnera in a fake fight with Primo, then doing it for real in life, then recreating it in such a savage portrayal was quite bizzare.

I also wondered why Maxie did this film reliving the killing of Ernie Schaaf and Frankie Campbell, through the demise of the character Gus. To be portrayed willingly as a butcher like that playing a character patterned after himself is really a strange thing to agree to even for money, if one is truly saddened by those events.

Then the irony of all is to be portrayed as such in Cinderella man. It is almost a karmic punishment not for what he felt bad for in life but for what he allowed to be shown on film and willingly participated in.

A strange legacy for the people who do not remember him the way he was, a lovable clown with a powerful clubbing and wide roundhouse right hand.

rocky111

Re: reply

Totally agree with Ronnie. Why play such a bizarre role that coincided with his real life's personna? LIke John Barrymore playing the out of control brilliant drunk. Bizarre.

StingerKarl

Maxie Baer

Ron is correct.
    When I first saw him with his suit on in the movie, he looked heavier and thicker, but good with his tailored wardrobe on when he confronted Humphrey Bogart about the validity of Toro.
    He looked to be nearly 8-9 inches traller and a hundred pounds heavier than Bogart who looked like a midget next to him.
    Gigantic shoulder width that was even more magnified with a jacket on.
    But he did indeed look terrible in his ring attire, I agree.
    Trunks were worn high in an attempt to hide his then somewhat ample midsection, and he was just going through the motions with the big young guy that played Toro, who he could still have murdered in a real fight even at his advanced age and conditioning level.
    I am sure he took the role as he loved being in the spotlight again and was probably very well paid for it as Ron indicated.
    I thought Jersey Joe still looked pretty good even if he had put on some weight by then.
    Karl

PeteLeo

Bogart

Humphrey Bogart was actually only 5'4". There is a candid photo of Bogie and one of his leading ladies in the Guinness volume of entertainment facts that shows him wearing the built-up shoes he needed during filming. They look like those glass-soled brogans that the KISS guys used to wear back in the day. PeteLeo.

brutu

acting

I dont think Max Baer looked to good in that film.In the fight sequence with Toro,His blood vessels were popping out of his neck,made me wonder about his blood presurre.
    That movie was made 20 years after he was heavyweight champion of the world.
    BTW Did you see when Toro was knocked out?Didnt that remind you of Mike Tyson being knocked out by Buster Douglas with the mouth piece?
    That was weird.

HEGrant

Bogart...

It's doubtful he was 5' 4" Pee Wee but then again you've never been known for getting your facts straight and are know to spin things...the famous photo your refering to was from behind scenes from the Casablanca shoot. Since his leading lady was 5'8" without heels, amybe 5' 11" withthem and he ended up a few inches taller than her, it's more likely he was at least 5'6" or so.

Chuck1052

Re: Bogart...

Guys- In his profile on the IMDb website,
    Humphrey Bogart's height was listed as
    five feet, eight-and-a-half inches.

- Chuck Johnston

PeteLeo

I'll cast my lot with the Guinness folk.
    I have one of their record books from the early Eighties that compares the publically claimed heights of actual giants (people 6'7" and over) with their actual stature (derived from medical measurements -- sometimes post-mortem -- and photographic evidence). Nearly all of the people who've exhibited themselves as giants added several inches to their true height, occasionally as much as a foot and a half. Johnny Aasen (you might remember him as the monster with a toothache in Harold Lloyd's WHY WORRY?) let it be known that he was a looming eight feet, when medical measurements during his many hospital stays reported that he was a full foot shorter. Edward "Ted" Evans (the Brit who can be seen squaring off with Dempsey in the "Giants and Girls" site) claimed an overwhelming 9' 3", but his doctors punctured the bubble by admitting that he was "only" 7' 7.5" (everything is relative, of course). Only Robert Wadlow's stupefying 8' 11.1" was never overstated during his lifetime.
    Most "insider" reports say that Bogart and Alan Ladd saw just about eye to eye, that is 5' 4" or 5' 5". It was a tribute to their acting ability that they were able to project menace that appeared to originate in much more imposing physiques. Well, a guy with a gun is just as tall as he wants to be, anyhow. PeteLeo.

PeteLeo

FILM FACTS ("A treasure trove of the curious, the humorous, the unexpected, the mind-boggling, & the unimportant-but-intriguing. A goldmine for all movie fans.") by Patrick Robertson, Billboard Books, 2001. "Earlier editions of this work published as The Guinness Book of Movie Facts and Feats by Guinness Publishing LTD."

Page 115, beneath the photo showing Bogie's several inch lifts taped to his shoes is the caption, "Humphrey Bogart may have been a movie giant, but he needed these platforms to bring his scrawny 5 ft 4 in body level with Ingrid Bergman's limpid eyes in Casablanca (US 42). (Associated Press)"

If you want to continue your desperate rectal emissions in an effort to convince someone somewhere that you're hip, might I suggest the Guinness people? I could be wrong (spinning all of those facts and all), but I believe that august group commands a wee bit more international respect in the areas of knowledge than a sweaty little gnome who once videotaped Larry Holmes.

Just can't leave it alone, can you? Used to have a miniature spaniel that was like that (we called him "Cock[er]," too). Then one day a gator ate him. PeteLeo.

HEGrant

Pee Wee would actually take a rag like that and use it as his reference...that sums him up...almost as much as his "Foreman, Shavers and Tyson cannot punch immortal line...

Anyway, he's good for laughs.

PeteLeo

A "rag" like The Guinness Book of World Records? The one volume that is used to settle more discussions involving measurements and matters of degree than any other in modern times (yes, even more than the Encyclopedia Britannica)? A "rag" that is one of the two best-selling publications in the history of books? A "rag" that was begun expressly for the purpose of accuracy in reporting?

Jeeze, man, do you not read anything? Or is it that you can't read?

I'm glad I can provide you with a touch of humor in your sad little cellar existence, because you're not even fun anymore. You're just a pathetic little pissant making up "quotes" and frantically trying to reassure yourself that you're relevant. Shoplift another tape for your camera and track down Henry Tillman. I'm sure he'll be more than glad to sit still for a "hard-hitting documentary shoot" . . . during visiting hours. Sad.
    PeteLeo.

HEGrant

Pee Wee I never knew you cared so much....so personal, so sad...

By the way, why don't you put up anything that you created and we'll match it up against my film and let our fellow Board members compare the quality... an open challange. I'm sure you'll pass since you are obviously the type that talks all the time but has zero to show for yourself but hot air.

If not, prove me wrong. If you cannot, at least stop embarrassing yourself.

PeteLeo

Oh, I get it now: you think that because I have been engaged in the act of actually living my life instead of strapping a videocamera to my shoulder and pointing it at other people who are doing things with their lives, that makes you some sort of budding auteur who will be recognized for his cinematic genius any year now while I'm wasting my time delivering foodstuffs coast to coast. Is that it?

How's that distribution deal going, Grans? Five or six major studios in a bidding war for the rights? I just can't understand why Ken Burns doesn't return your calls.

You know, HeeGee, I'm tempted to put you on my "ignore" list, since, as I pointed out earlier, your flagrant disregard for objective truth and constant weasely twisting of reality has dropped you from the fun to the rather depressing category. But I see how you continue to pop in on conversations that I'm having with other, more interesting folks (no offense) in a desperate effort to be a part of things, sort of like a gnat buzzing around a bear, so let's go with that. If it makes your little world a bit brighter, you have my permission to live through other people. Isn't that what you video geeks are searching for?

Knock yourself out, kiddo. This old world could use more cockeyed optimism. PeteLeo.

HEGrant

As I thought. moe personal attacks but zero personal accomplishments. Words are chaep . Pee Wee. It's obvious your nothing but hot air.

PeteLeo

Feeding the nation through hard work equals "zero accomplishments" -- it's really nice to know that you have your priorities straight, old bean. I suppose you're (notice the use of a contraction there?) so much more important and cool than, say, a doctor or a school teacher.
    After all, you own a videocamera! Enjoy
    your "accomplishments," Little Eisenstein, and don't forget to recharge those batteries. PeteLeo.

cyberboxingzone

Ok, ket's get back on topic.

I fucking hate ad hominum attacks.

mike21

bare

max baer jr. was interviiewed many times after the cinderral man- during some of the interviews he said that his father never ever thought he injured schaaf. this may shed some light on the harder the fall role- schaaf died four fights later than the baer fight after contracting the flu- there was no penicillian used at that time, which lead to some meningitis and then boxed with it. thank

Chuck1052

Re: bare

In regards to the unflattering portrayal of
    Max Baer in the movie, CINDERELLA MAN,
    I was wondering if Baer and Jim Braddock
    had an actual feud.

- Chuck Johnston

brutu

Guinness Book of World Records

I have to say that they dont even bother to double check facts before they print them.
    I even had to contact them to tell them that they were incorrect on what they printed(concerning mammals.)
    I heard it was Alan Ladd that was 5 feet 4 inches tall.
    they had to dig a ditch for some of his leading ladies to walk in for some movie shots.
    Max Baer was at least 6 feet 2 inches tall,he may have grown taller since he was champion or even wore some shoes with lifts in them to make him more intimading.

Gallicrow

Re: Bogart

There's no way Bogart is as short as 5'4". Here's a picture which very clearly shows him to be at least as tall as the 5'8" Lauren Bacall:

HEGrant

Stop, he's standing on a Guiness book. Can't you see. In addition, didn't you know Bacall was 4' 11" . :rollin

PeteLeo

Don't see the book, but I can see some mighty substantial heels, Sweetums. PeteLeo.

HEGrant

I've got to give you that, he does look like he's wearing heels.

TKO Tom

Maxie

I didn't think Baer looked that bad in the fight scenes.

You've got to remember that it had been 15 years since Baer had been in the ring and he was approaching 50.

He was no Holmes or Foreman, but he I don't think he embarassed himself either.

:hat

+ Reply to Thread