Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martinez-Paul Williams II set for Nov 20th

vCash

Re: Martinez-Paul Williams II set for Nov 20th

Quote Originally Posted by JaKob
    Pac vs Cotto was anticipated to be a fairly competitive bout. People talk about how shot Cotto was, but he was on form when that bell rang. Working behind a sledgehammer jab, good footwork, fast hands, sharp and accurate. He has always been a vunerable fighter and he got caught. I doubt at any point in his career the result looks a hell of alot different. Cotto wasn't that great at welterweight to start with.

The same applies to hatton. Was he shot... or just never THAT good to start with.

All these fighters are flawed and far from the best welterweight division has seen. When analyzing his competition you have to give consideration to how far above his natural weight he is fighting.

I think martinez would be a step too far. Too big and too skilled.
    I agree 100%. He could more than match Pacman with speed,power,and skill.

vCash

In regard to paul williams. Being exciting, dynamic, and active is fine within reason. He needs to learn how to fight tall. That doesn't mean tentative and boring. Simply maximising those huge advantages in height and reach. It's not necessarily game over yet but he certainly needs to make some changes.
    Last edited by JaKob; 11-21-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

A couple of thoughts about the fight --

Martinez landed some vicious body shots in the first, one about a minute forty into the first was followed by a left that rattled Williams.

Martinez landed that left several times thereafter, usually while countering. On the kayo sequence, when Williams started his punch, instead of just countering with the left, Martinez stepped to his right -- and whipped the punch through the spot he had been standing a moment before. This different angle was the reason Williams never saw the punch coming.

The punch was no shorter than others Martinez had thrown, but by moving his body the way he did gave disguised the punch.

NEXT -- the referee did a terrible job. At one point, martinez had his armed pinned by Williams -- the referee kept telling Martinez to pull his arm out! And then he tried to push martinez's arm out from under Williams's arm! WTF!!

Does nobody see what a horrible job these referees are doing in fights big and small?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    A couple of thoughts about the fight --

Martinez landed some vicious body shots in the first, one about a minute forty into the first was followed by a left that rattled Williams.

Martinez landed that left several times thereafter, usually while countering. On the kayo sequence, when Williams started his punch, instead of just countering with the left, Martinez stepped to his right -- and whipped the punch through the spot he had been standing a moment before. This different angle was the reason Williams never saw the punch coming.

The punch was no shorter than others Martinez had thrown, but by moving his body the way he did gave disguised the punch.

NEXT -- the referee did a terrible job. At one point, martinez had his armed pinned by Williams -- the referee kept telling Martinez to pull his arm out! And then he tried to push martinez's arm out from under Williams's arm! WTF!!

Does nobody see what a horrible job these referees are doing in fights big and small?

R: The ref in this fight is a nice guy who I always liked and we attended my old trainer's funeral together. He started way after I was a referee and he was always a respectful person. That being said, I watched the match and I thought this night his timing and interference was just waaaaay off.

The new Comm, Aaron Davis is just continuing the appointments of the same guys from before and no matter how bad it gets, nothing is noticed, nothing is done and despite having seniority from long ago he never said anything to me except the roster is full. When this court case in NY is over, I will have to address this transparent continuance of this blackballing, with the inception of it steeped in territoriality and ambivalent agendas.

Despite who speaks for who at what functions it is as I say steeped in the worst blackballing based on personal friendships and pro quid pro favors.
    It can only be resolved in court with film after film being shown of the worst handling of fights and the absolute absence of any knowledge or desire to make it better. The only thing that exists is appointments that are based on the worst motivations there are.

After Cotto v Foreman, Abraham V Miranda I, and all the rest can anything justify these appointments. Wasn't Pacquiao v Margarito wonderful with the ref getting that assignment from daddy after telling a boxer he was ahead on the scorecards, and now allowing AM to continue.

The whole thing as to refs and judges is a social club where people attend conventions, pay fees, and do favors, whether it is insurance deals. Some people feel that the behind the scenes motivations in making appointments are devoid of any intelligence at all. The physical condition of some of the refs is appalling, the intelligence level is worse, the boxing knowledge or boxing background is beyond belief but the appointments go on and on based on what cannot even be mentioned here.

vCash

My biggest issue with the referee was him continuing to administer the ten count.

How many guys get up from a face first shot that hard?

Ronny - I can't imagine anything but you pulling his mouthguard out and putting him in the recovery position - Not putting the fingers in his face!
    Last edited by doomeddisciple; 11-22-2010 at 01:31 AM.

vCash

I did that with Tua v Hunnicut and so many others, AND ANYONE who mentions Jones v Brannon had better watch the final round up close with stop and pause, and they will finally after all these years see with their stupid lack of boxing knowledge that Jones' punches were MISSING his chin on the ropes when he asked me to stop it, MISSING by inches, I have the tape and watch it all the time.

You do not want to stop a fight like in Jones v Sosa too early, or too late, but it has to be decisive, and at the stoppage the punches have to be LANDING. HBO I love, I like the guys there, but I wish they would see what is ACTUALLY happening like in DLH v Leija, Cotto v Foreman, and in the breaking of the boxers in the Williams KO, why they give Mercante Jr and Cole a pass on everything I will never know.

vCash

I guess for me it goes to what you seem to focus on the most. Being a referee is first and foremost about the fighters health - Not getting on TV!

vCash

It is a lesson Yuri Foreman and the family of B. Scotland, along with Hurtado and so many others can speak of as to their referee and his profiling for the camera. As to the film of Pac Man V Margarito and when it should have been stopped come to your own conclusions. When someone dies, or has to go through major surgery because a referee loves to be on TV longer and in both instances their respective Daddy's got them the assignment, it does make you puke up knee cartilage after you have exhausted the dry heaves.

vCash

"The Haymon Boxing Organization and HBO did all they could to make it as difficult as possible for Sergio Martinez before his rematch with Paul Williams this past weekend (from basically forcing a catchweight of 157 pounds to more symbolic gestures like having Martinez introduced first, even though he was the champion) but when it was all said and done, “Maravilla” took care of business the old-fashioned way. And don’t cry for me Argentina (or Martinez) because with one booming left hand, he has officially served notice of his arrival as a marquee player." (Steve Kim)

Typical house fighter BS....

Administrator
    vCash

Yeah I was blown away how Williams was announced second just for starters.

And I don't want to hear about Williams not being a middleweight or jr middle anymore when he hasn't fought at his supposed welterweight home in over 2 years.
    Plus the guy will be 30 next year.

vCash

and.... its hard to understand why.

it is not like sergio martinez is not marketable. boxing fans have come to respect his athleticism and courage and as for non-fans .... well, there is my wives reaction .... "that kid is gorgeous"!

so whats the problem with HBO ? too much invested in their face first heads up house fighter ? TOO BAD.

greg

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crold1
    Dig:

I think his style, evolved to where it is now, is going to make good fights with lots of guys. He hasn't made a bad night on HBO yet. Bunema, Cintron, Pavlik, both Williams fights...dude is entertaining.
    I think his style has evolved some, but I still didn't find the Cintron and Pavlik fights all that exciting to watch honestly.

He's certainly a marketable guy and I wish him the best.
    It's good to see guys like him get his day in the sun.

Regardless of what happened to Williams, I still think he gives PBF hell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123