Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BHop vs. LaMotta

vCash

BHop vs. LaMotta

Would Hopkins' ring savvy negate Jake's constant pressure? I think Jake wins by late TKO, because Hopkins would be able to keep him off.

vCash

Re: BHop vs. LaMotta

Ring pressure is one thing, but it's the landing of good shots that really wear and break guys. I don't see Jake being strong enough or big enough to simply walk thru and deliver those shots on a man who is 4-5 inches taller, very durable and quite strong, who also possesses a fine chin and very good defense. I see Bhop being far too cute and slick, and it will be him who is landing the most shots in this fight for a comfy UD. Also, I do not see Jake bullying the bigger Hopkins.

vCash

I second walshb. Seems like LaMotta is thought to be unbeatable by many on CBZ. Not me.

I can't stand Hopkins, but the notion that LaMotta beats a guy who had so many successful title defenses, unlike LaMotta, and who is bigger than LaMotta and would doubtless come in in better shape, has me scratching my head.

Does Jake rank higher all-time than Hopkins among middleweights? Possibly. For doing what?? Beating the smaller Robinson 1 out of 6 times? And for beating an injured Cerdan? Jake beat a lot of tough guys on the way up, but I just don't know. Hopkins is a very smart and very strong guy. He'd never get in a shootout with LaMotta.

Hey, lookey at THIS from the oft-quoted Wikipedia under LaMotta; apparently he beat Sugar Ray TWICE. How did I never know this before??

"LaMotta, who compiled a record of 83 wins, 19 losses and four draws with 30 wins by way of knockout, was the first man to beat Sugar Ray Robinson,[1] knocking him down in the first round of their first fight and then outpointing him over the course of 10 rounds during the second fight of their legendary six-bout rivalry."

And won their FIRST fight??!! Who knew?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_LaMotta
    Last edited by Michael Frank; 09-30-2010 at 08:06 PM.

vCash

I'm gonna go with Jake here. He's durable as all get up and will succesfully press things to phone booth distance, where B-Hop is adept but LaMotta better. No way does B-Hop have the power to keep Jake out, and with due respect to his boxing prowess, I still see Jake getting thru and outlanding B-Hop in close. Jake by Decision, no knockdowns, both winded but ready to go at the end of 15.

vCash

Jake would beat him. Hes just a better fighter and he wins the infighting war. Bhop is not the bigger stronger guy. Jake was a light heavy in a middleweight drain down. He fought better comp and would answer anything Bernard would bring. Lots of pressure in a way Bhop has never had to deal with.
    Jake arguably won half of those six with Robbie. They were very very even down to the last few rounds of the chicago bout with Jake tiring.

vCash

I fixed that Wiki entry. It didn't say Lamotta won the first fight, but it needed to be cleaned up for sure.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rocky111
    Jake would beat him. Hes just a better fighter and he wins the infighting war. Bhop is not the bigger stronger guy. Jake was a light heavy in a middleweight drain down. He fought better comp and would answer anything Bernard would bring. Lots of pressure in a way Bhop has never had to deal with.
    Jake arguably won half of those six with Robbie. They were very very even down to the last few rounds of the chicago bout with Jake tiring.
    I woud argue that during his reign, Bernard was a SM-LH boiled down to middle. He was big all over, plus a fair few inches in height.

Jake may have weighed above 160 on many occasions, but does mean that he was naturally a bigger fighter than middle? Was it not a case of just coming in at whatever weight he wanted to? I know small fighters (Qawi) are naturally heavy men, but with Jake it didn't look to me that he should ever have been above 160 lbs.

vCash

Interesting fight. This fight would go the distance. SRR vs. LaMotta fights happened when LaMotta had a 10-15 lb advantage(or atleast in few of them). B-Hop excelled at 175 as well as 160. Pound for pound, SRR was a bigger puncher, but B-Hop was far more consistent. LaMotta fought better comp and was stronger, but B-Hop was slick, decent pop, and his defense was damn good. This fight could end a DQ either way..... but I feel better with LaMotta winning a 15 round decision than anything.
    Last edited by sr71ko; 10-02-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Banned
    vCash

SR

The Robby from the timeframe that he engaged Lamotta over a 6 bout series, was actually a very consistant fighter. 121-1-2 (following the win over Jake in bout VI) ain't too shabby and is a reflection of consistancy.

Ray's inconsistant period at Middle, was when he was older, after a 2 year retirement and long after the Series with Jake was over.

This aside, I am taking the Lamotta in a tough battle against Hopkins.

Bernard would be best served to fight the type of bout he fought against Trinidad with Lamotta. He tries the rough and rugged stuff with the Bronx Bull, he get's mauled.

He boxes smart and limits the inside stuff, he CAN pull out a win, although I see Jake securing a win with his agressivenes and outworking Bernard. (taking Lamotta at his best, not from an all too frequent off night).

Bernard tries the type of bout he fought, in say the Echols second bout (which was how a prime Hopkins most frequently fought) and Lamotta wins in a romp.

Hawk

vCash

You are right. I was meaning more consistent as in reign and title defenses. Ray was a 5 time middleweight champ.

vCash

Hopkins for me. I think he was far more classy than Jake and simply could outfox him. Would have been an interesting fight though.

vCash

BHop just has way to much skill of Jake. Jake will have his moments but not enough to win over 15 tough rounds. I see a 9-6 win for Hopkins.

vCash

I've been watching boxing for 40 years and I still don't understand things like Lamotta beating Robinson, Barkley beating Hearns...brawlers beating boxers. This is not to say that I look at Lamotta and see nothing but a brawler. He was crafty, relentless, strong and just disdainful of the guy across from him. No matter who it was. As of today, I can say I'm a little in awe of him, in the same way I am with Mickey Walker, another hard-ass with underrated skills and ability.

I have the same problem with this match-up. The Hopkins I watched for all those years making anonymous title defenses against anonymous opponents was anything but boring as he became later when in the limelight. He was smooth, agressive and efficiently good. To my eyes, Hopkins looked better doing what he did than Lamotta did doing his thing.

But there just aint too many guys I think could gameplan for Jake being in thier chest every second of every round and devising a plan that would 1)work and 2) they would be able to pull off. Hopkins is smart as hell (boxing IQ) and give him film of Jake, I have no doubt he'd come up with something.
    He isn't getting run out of the ring by any middleweight I've ever seen and he's a damned strong guy himself (maybe not by sight because he's longer than the Bull).

Tough, tough fight that goes the distance and Hopkins better movement, athleticism makes it more interesting, but Jake wins. He's just busier and even the superbly conditioned Hopkins wants to rest every now and then. I never saw the best I've seen of Jake seek that same luxury. Besides, SRR moved even better than Hops and Jake gave him holy hell.

vCash

Close fights every time that Jake bothers to train. He'd probably get the judges nod more times than not because he's the popular Italian-American. Be very interesting to see how Hops reacts to someone laughing at his punchs though.

Agree with husker- I can't say for certain any middleweight beats Hopkins.

+ Reply to Thread