Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Van Halen May Tour in 2011

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Van Halen May Tour in 2011

Oct 05, 2010 4:10 PM EDT
    Van Halen will return to the road in 2011 ó or so said Live Nation Ticketmaster chairman Irving Azoff, in a meeting with analysts meant to show that the outlook for next year's concert circuit will brighten. Van Halen, with David Lee Roth, last toured together in June 2008. According to USA Today , Azoff, who is also Van Halen's manager, named Van Halen, Christina Aguilera, Fleetwood Mac and the cast of Glee as some of the artists that are expected to pack stadium and arenas when they embark on tours next year. Van Halen's 2008 tour grossed $93 million for Live Nation.

Front Row at the Hottest Live Shows

This isn't the first time Azoff has promised of a Van Halen tour: In September 2009, at another Q&A session, he mentioned that Van Halen were planning to tour in 2010, but that never came to fruition. Van Halen has long been rumored to be working on a new studio album, their first with Roth since 1984, but Eddie's wife Janie Van Halen told Rolling Stone in June that, "What is going around is exactly that, rumors."

vCash

Re: Van Halen May Tour in 2011

Is it just me or does anyone wonder what the hell causes guys to drag their heels for years on this sort of stuff. Eddie and Dave haven't collaborated since 1983. You would think pent up creative ideas would be just bouncing out of their skulls after all those years a new recording project would flow easily. Does it just vanish as the creative process dries up? What the hell do Eddie and Dave do on a daily basis anyway? Hey man, you're a creative artist. How about creating something?

Banned
    vCash

For Me

The Irony of all of this "Non Productivity", out of Eddie, has been his pointing of the fingers at Sammy Hagar, when he quit/was fired, back in 1996, saying that "Sammy had no work ethic".

I guess the 9 CD's, 5 DVD's, 3 Cabo Wabo Clubs, 2 Beach Bar and Grills, and selling a crud load of Cabo Wabo Tequila that Hagar has put out since his departure from VH, compared to ONE album, that Eddie VH has done (not counting the 3 New songs Eddie, Sam, Alex and Michael did on the 2nd Greatest hits Double CD during THAT reunion tour in 2003-2005) says something a little different.

Hawk

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

It's not that simple 10-8. The acrimony among bands is WAY over the top. I've personally seen it in the Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Country Joe & The Fish, Quicksilver & others.

The viciousness is incredible. It's worse than a divorce. Hell, I've been divorced 3 times & I'm friends with my ex-wives... Personally I've never understood it. I mean if I was middle aged & had been in a big time rock band at some point I'd let bygones be bygones.

Young men & women in big rock bands have this incredible shared experience that's totally unique to each group. You'd think that common bond would overcome petty grievances but it DOESN'T. The anger & the petty bullshit carries on for decades.

I'll give you an example: Ray Manzarek & the Doors got back together a few years back. After their first tour I asked him how it went. He said, "Man when we're on stage it's great just like the old days when the music was everything. Then we get off stage & it's the same old shit again".

"One morning on the tour after a great show in Boston I was having breakfast w/Robbie Krieger & we were having a good time talking about the show. Then all of a sudden he gets this angry look on his face & says, "Remember what you said to me in that hotel room in Detroit in '68? I'm still pissed off about it".

Ray was flabbergasted. What hotel room? I don't even remember 1968!" After that Robbie proceeded to rag on him for the rest of the day...

Anyway I totally understand why Van Halen can't get it together. It's because they still can't get over decades old juvenile bullshit.

GorDoom

vCash

I can only speak for myself, but Gor, I wouldn't mind hearing more of your old band stories..........

Rather then what has been filtered and recycled by the ever- honest mainstream media......

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

I don't mind telling old war stories, 10-8. It's just that it has to flow naturally. You asked a question as to why these guys can't get their shit together & I had an analogy that dove tailed with your query.

So when stuff comes up on this forum & I have a story that relates to it I'll be happy to let it roll... Or if you or anybodyelse has any questions If I have an answer I'll be happy to give it. Music & boxing have been the 2 big passions in my life & as much as I know about boxing, I'm far more conversant with music as it's been not only a passion but luckily enough the way I make my living.

regards,

GorDoom

vCash

Gor,

That was me asking for more war stories,
    To your point: Robbie Krieger seems to be a laid back, affable guy,
    but since we just see the image and not the real life, from what you wrote he sounds human like the rest of us, imperfect, and living a bit in the past.
    (Still love his guitar solo on "When the Music's Over" amongst others)

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Sorry about the name mix up TD. Robbie is an okay guy when he's not being a head case. A real high maintenance musician who has battled his many demons over the years.

Ray Manzarek is much more the guy your describing. Very bright, intellectual, but laid back & a very nice guy with a great sense of humor. Big sports fan also. Really likes boxing but not as hardcore as you or me.

GorDoom

+ Reply to Thread