Cheick Kongo vs. Travis Browne
    James Wilks vs. Claude Patrick
    Cyrille Diabate vs. Alexander Gustafsson
    Rob Broughton vs. Vinicius Kappke de Quieroz
    Steve Cantwell vs. Stanislav Nedkov
    Paul Sass vs. Mark Holst
    Spencer Fisher vs. Curt Warburton
    James McSweeney vs. Fabio Maldonado

This card should have a sub-title: UFC 120: At Least It's Free.

Condit-Hardy should be entertaining, but the only fight of real interest to me is Pyle-Hathaway. The undefeated Hathaway looks to have some real potential at welterweight, and with Koshek and then Shields ready to be served up to GSP, some potential would be welcome.

I don't dislike Bisping, as many seem to do, but I'd rather watch cheese age that see the Count go three more unispiring rounds.

And then there's the Cheik Congo sighting...

Oh well. At least it's free, and I suppose it makes a decent warm-up for Lesnar-Velasquez.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: UfC 120

Agreed with the above but Kongo is an interesting case to me.
    Here's a monsterous guy being served up on the UFC fast track with obvious vulnerabilities. Served up as a lamb to Crocop but he had other ideas, then definitely a stern test for Velasquez...then served to Mir but he was in way over his head technically......I just learned to root for this guy through all of this. This guy is as tough as they come, maybe not gifted but brings the fight every time - have to respect that.

Glad to see the card is free (as one of this ilk should be).
    I have it set to record already upon stumbling upon it this week after restaging a failed DVR.

vCash

This card should have a sub-title: UFC 120: At Least It's Free.
    Oh Tony, you bastard.

Keyboard now cleaned of the coffee I spat all over it when I read this part, you arse.

It should be a fight night, bring on 121.

NEVER liked Bisping at any stage. He was booed in Sydney big time, fighting Wanderleigh and being a pom was never going to work out for him.

Administrator
    vCash

Yeah that was a good title DT, missed that the first time around.

vCash

Sorry about the coffee, Josh. It could have been worse--it might have been beer.

Diggity, yeah, regarding Kongo, he's fighting some 10-0 guy who's best win is over James McSweeny--doesn't sound like it's going to be much of a fight. I never disliked Kongo, just find him stiff and kind of boring. Maybe his opponent will prove to be a real up and comer and give him a test.

As for Bisping, the only time I disliked him was on TUF were he was set up to be a villlain. Hendo made him pay for that. So I guess I'm neutral on the guy, but don't care for his fighting style.

vCash

lol, yeh, this should have been a fight night!

Not interested at all in this card except for Hathaway.

On that note, do you guys think he could make some ripples in his division against the top dogs? Must be time for him to step right into the fray after this fight.........

vCash

I think it's possible, but it's too early for me to predict a belt for Hathaway. Pyle is a fight he should win--but the fight after that, in which he should fight a contender, that will, I think, tell the story. He needs a fight against a lower top 10 guy, and then if he passes that test, maybe a title eliminator.

I see they rewarded Evan Dunham by making a fight for him with Kenny Florian. Now that'll be a f**king war.

vCash

Good thing it wasn't a beer!

It's Bispings style that doesn't do anything for me mate, not his country of origin.

vCash

Yeh Dunham V Florian will be a great fight.

Wonder whether Dunham will try and get the job done standing, or on the ground? Probably a little bit of both.......

vCash

I like Dunham. It would be good to see them take it to the ground, I don't think Dunham's quite as crisp with striking as Florian.

Just found out 120 is 40 bucks out here. Buggered if I'll buy this one.

vCash

Florian is crisper, but Dunham hopefully will have learned more how to employ the jab.

I imagine Dunham will look for GnP opportunities from the posted up position in Florian's guard.

No, Josh, that's bad value. Have some drinks and hit somebody--it'll be more fun.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman_Tony

No, Josh, that's bad value. Have some drinks and hit somebody--it'll be more fun.
    ha ha ha ha.

vCash

Ha ha indeed - How awesome is this answer from the cable provider when I asked why the even was being charged at 40 bucks -

Hi Josh,
    Thanks for your email.
    UFC 120 is aired in the US for free as part of the contract between the UFC and Spike TV, that we are not privy to. It is primarily due to the live broadcast time being in the middle of the night, whereas in Australia it will air at a more reasonable time of the morning.
    Kind regards,
    MAIN EVENT
    From: contact@mainevent.com.au [mailto:contact@mainevent.com.au]
    Sent: Thursday, 14 October 2010 3:06 PM
    To: Mainevent Contacts (SYD)
    Subject: Contact via Web: Why is UFC 120 still $40

Name ::
    Josh Nixon

Email ::
    joshua.nixon@immi.gov.au

Subject ::
    Why is UFC 120 still $40

When it's being broadcast for free in the US and the UK?

vCash

Wow. Awesome, indeed. Guy's apparently never heard of Tivo....or DVD recorders.

vCash

One thing I love about living in Korea: All PPV events are free.

I don't have much to say other than it's mediocre at best. There are still some competive match ups though.

Normally I'd be expecting for Akiyama to win, but Toney put me in my place and derailed the hype that I bought into. I'd still like to see him win though, and feel that the UFC fighters he faces are simply too big come fight night.

Doomed, you ever hear of www [dot] atdhe [dot] net?

vCash

I think that Akiyama is no doubt more skilled, but the fact that he doesn't cut weight to make 185 means he's always going to be fighting the bigger man at that weight--big disadvantage. Hope he does win, though.

vCash

Agreed. Every fight he was in at 185 he looked about 20 lbs smaller. He dominated Leben early in his last fight, but was simply too gassed after the first round.

Like you mentioned before though. Welterweight is no slouch division. The guy is a ver well rounded fighter though with KO's and submissions against pretty decent opposition.

vCash

I agree that's Akiyama's very skilled, but unfortunately I think this is Bisping's fight to lose. He'll come in close to 205 than 185 and that kind of size differentis is what wears the smaller fighter out. Hope he pulls off the upset, though. If he doesn't, then I hope they give Bisping the title shot he's screaming for, so Silva can finish him...

vCash

Not a great night for the Brits, with Bisping the only winner on the main card and he didn't look like all that.

Condit was impressive. Showed a sturdy chin and excellent power. He might be someone to keep an eye on, because his ground game is excellent.

Obviously I overrated Hathaway, but he'll learn from this.

vCash

Thanks for the link OTR.

I watched the fights, Condit's left hook was lovely. Hardy will be keeping his right hand higher in future when throwing his own left hooks I'm sure.

Bisping fights like a full contact aerobic exercise video. It's like Tae Bo - With that size disparity, he should have sent Akiyama on wobbly legs, not vice versa.

vCash

Nice one, Josh. Yeah, Bisping is a bouncy little thing and scarcely a destroyer...

I watched Condit all through his WEC career and he mostly submitted guys--that KO was impressive.

Hardy's hair was was brilliant, anyway.

Administrator
    vCash

Decent card (for free).

I only wish the Condit-Hardy fight went longer. That was getting pretty vicious - but the KO was as sweet as they come.

Maybe its me but I can't help but feel that Bisping is always a shot away from being KOd, almost like each win he gets is lucky. I wish he fought like he talked... but then again his chin couldn't back it up.

The Kongo draw was total bullshit in my eyes, even with the point deduction. Brown is a big, reckless mess.

vCash

I agree about Browne, but if Kongo's a contender, he needs to put guys like this away.

Condit-Hardy was a lot more fun than I thought i would--yeah, if it had gone into the third round, it would have gotten FOTY consideration.
    Last edited by Dogman_Tony; 10-17-2010 at 07:25 PM.

vCash

And oh, yeah, Bisping runs his mouth about a title and then calls for a rematch with Vanderleigh...that's the kind of guy he is. I can't believe he's in the UFC and Hendo's not.

vCash

Cause Bisping is a TUF alumni and Hendo is still more widely known for his fights in PRIDE than in the UFC?

vCash

Yeah, probably...but Hendo did knock Bisping stiff in his last UFC fight, after serving as TUF coach. Pretty high profile stuff. They should have paid Dan.

vCash

I'm 100% on the Hendo support team with you Tony.

Just reaching for an answer as I can't work out why they continue with a guy that lands flush punches all night yet can't knock the sweat off his opponent.

vCash

Because Bipsing is a marketing choice. He brings in British fans. Just like Akiyama is not going anywhere despite two straight losses; he brings in fans from both Korea and Japan. That's 200 000 000 potential customers.

Did anyone notice Conduit stance and his kicks? He fought out of a T-stance and used some nifty Kung fu style kicks to Hardy's legs.

vCash

Yep, OTR's dead on--it's marketing. Still and all, I wish they'd paid Hendo.

I did notice Condit's altered stance. He just might get to a title shot.

+ Reply to Thread