Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Klit/Briggs Post Fight Discussion

vCash

Klit/Briggs Post Fight Discussion

How can I watch it live and at what time ?

vCash

Re: How can I watch it live on internet ? Klit/Briggs ?

Isn't it on ESPN in the states or something?

Check your inbox anyway mate, I've sent you a link to a live stream.

Administrator
    vCash

Espn3.com 5pm
    The catch is that your local cable provider must support it - which mine (cablevision) does not.

vCash

Shut out win for Vitaly.

Shannon and his corner must have the lowest boxing IQ I have ever seen. Shannon who is as mobile as a building fought the entire fight with his left hand around his waist. Vitaly landed every right hand he threw. Shannons corner never once made mention of keeping his hands up. Shannon never mounted any real offense. Credit to Shannon for actually making it the entire 12 rounds as he took an insane amount of punishment.

Vitaly looked strong but was basically was beating up on a punching bag. Vitaly came into the ring in shape and basically dominated an out of shape muscle bound fighter with no strategy.

On a side note, Shannons corner and the ref should be banned from boxing. Fight should have been stopped in the 9th round. Shannon had no snap in his punches and was taking punches that would have brought down buildings. Shannon took way too many punches in the last four rounds while offering nothing in return. Vitaly in the post fight interview said that his hands were hurting from landing so many punches on Briggs. He said that he couldnt believe that Shannon was still standing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HE Grant
    How can I watch it live and at what time ?
    Here are the last four rounds (the others are not there yet...

Vitali Klitschko vs. Shannon Briggs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtcBl4AB2rc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLP5uHHEUg

vCash

"Shannon had no snap in his punches and was taking punches that would have brought down buildings."

Apparently not.

That's a freaking disgrace, that a guy who's ten years past being past his prime could go 12 with the mighty Doctor Ironfist.

vCash

i don't know man ..... vitali actually missed him with one right hand in the tenth.

greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite
    On a side note, Shannons corner and the ref should be banned from boxing. Fight should have been stopped in the 9th round.
    I agree.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman_Tony
    "Shannon had no snap in his punches and was taking punches that would have brought down buildings."

Apparently not.

That's a freaking disgrace, that a guy who's ten years past being past his prime could go 12 with the mighty Doctor Ironfist.
    Briggs had a prime??? Even in his so called prime he had no heart or skill.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman_Tony

Apparently not.

Who is also ten years past his prime ... Klitschko is the older man ... Briggs took an insane amount of punishment ... I'm amazed he was able to take it but I have no idea why it was not stopped ... he could have been seriously hurt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1
    Briggs had a prime???
    Of course he did. It was when he received a gift decison against a 50 year old George Foreman.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HE Grant
    Who is also ten years past his prime ... Klitschko is the older man ... Briggs took an insane amount of punishment ... I'm amazed he was able to take it but I have no idea why it was not stopped ... he could have been seriously hurt.
    He Grant, I was thinking the same thing. Klit turns 40 soon. Shannon showed a world class chin. Shannon was staggered, bloodied, and swollen. Klit was short of pulling out a louisville slugger to finish the job. Credit to Shannon.

vCash

Briggs was a heavy bag. When the "heavyweight champion" fights a heavy bag, the bag should fall down. Period.

vCash

Possible moral defeat for Vitali...

He tried to take out Briggs with that same chopping right hand that Lewis felled "The Canon?" with a century ago, and landed it at will, and could not even drop Briggs.

The taste of the Lewis defeat just got more bitter.

vCash

Re: Klit/Briggs Post Fight Discussion

The fight was so boring, so listless I can easily see why no one wants to watch this crap anymore. It is hard to believe this is a championship fight. To hold your hand down at your side and take shots all night is something I just cannot fathom.

vCash

just watched the whole fight on youtube, wow, people will say "Vitali is a winner, he shows up in great shape and beats everyone they put in front of him, blah blah"

if Vitali can stand in front of someone with his hands at his waist all night and that fighter can never find a way to land even ONE serious shot, then that is a refelction of the horrible competition that Vitali is facing and not the skill of the man himself,

Briggs never tried to do anything all night, he was a corpse in front of Vitali and Vitali could never put him down, sure, Vitali landed some crushing shots but it just seems like since his comeback his shots aren't thrown with anywhere near the hurtfull intentions as they were pre retirement,

I have a question for some of the more knowledgable, is it harder to throw a very hard shot when the shots start at your waist instead of from a conventional stance?

vCash

wanted to add that Briggs completely deserved to get beaten down after all of the noise, drama, trash talk, disrespect and rudness he showed to Klitschko in the lead up to their fight

Banned
    vCash

so....

what happens now?

In about six months Briggs gets a shot at Wlad based on the "strength" of going the route with Vitaly?

Sounds about right.

Hawk

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by prototypeofamodernmadman
    if Vitali can stand in front of someone with his hands at his waist all night and that fighter can never find a way to land even ONE serious shot, then that is a refelction of the horrible competition that Vitali is facing and not the skill of the man himself,
    When Ali fought with his hands down it was because of his great skills. When VK does it itís because of his horrible competition canít do anything about it.

Maybe the fun is not over yet. At the press conference afterward Briggs stated his willingness to fight Wladimir KlitschkoÖ

vCash

CompuBox PunchStat Report

Vitali Klitschko W 12 Shannon Briggs
    10/16/2010 Germany

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/vi...riggs-compubox

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite
    Shannons corner never once made mention of keeping his hands up.
    I heard Briggs corner shouting for him to keep his hands up a number of times.

vCash

I watched this fight with a mate who'd never seen a boxing fight in his life. Considering he knows nothing about boxing, his observations on Klitschko were hilarious:

Round 5 'this guy (Klitschko) is boring. Every single round is exactly the same'

Round 8 'why won't he just finish the guy off? If someone's in that state you'd jump all over them!'

Round 11 'it's like watching a robot'

After the fight 'and he's the champion of the world? that's the best boxer in the world??'

For me, watching Klitschko with an outsiders point of view really underlined why we need these brothers gone.

Administrator
    vCash

What a ferocious beating.
    Without a doubt that fight went at least 3-4 rounds too long.

I've haven't seen Vitaly so aggressive and intent on getting a KO in a while. He obviously had to have been in tremendous shape to keep up such a sustained beating for all 12 rounds & still be mobile right up to the end.

Briggs & his corner may feel they have some sort of stupid moral victory for not quitting or getting KOd but the only think Briggs is taking home from that fight is brain damage. This got hard to watch in the final few rounds.

Vitaly did nothing but try to end the fight but Briggs kept taking his best stuff and refused to go down. Some people may see this as a bad reflection on Vitaly but I don't. He threw everything he had at Briggs within his own style without getting totally reckless. When a guy doesn't go down, all you can do is keep punishing him - can't foolishly pursue a KO just for the sake of getting one.

Impressively brutal and intelligent fight on Vitaly's part as far as I'm concerned.

vCash

Shannon who I know and like and met back in the early 90's when he boxed on the under card of an upstate NY bout I refereed, is now in critical condition in a German hospital. The referee should have stopped that fight as Shannon had no chance of winning and was taking too many punches without a response.

My prayers go out to him.

vCash

From Skysports.com

Briggs pays for bravery

American to undergo surgery following brutal defeat
    Last updated: 17th October 2010

Shannon Briggs reportedly suffered concussion and fractured cheekbones during his lop-sided defeat to Vitali Klitschko.

The American showed remarkable resilience against the dominant Ukrainian, becoming only the third man to take the WBC champion the distance.

However, the 38-year-old paid for his bravery and was immediately hospitalised following the bout, and was expected to undergo surgery to his face on Sunday.

vCash

Brigg's corner and the ref should never work another fight. I was yelling for a stoppage in the 9th round. As the rounds went on I remembered the thread here about the documentary "After the last round". I hope Briggs cornermen never have another decent nights sleep.

My prayers go out to Briggs.
    Last edited by Kid Dynamite; 10-17-2010 at 11:47 AM.

vCash

Please read the comment below by the ref. How this man thought Briggs had a chance or was "fighting back" is beyond me.

From fightnews....

Referee Ian John-Lewis, who has received criticism for not stopping the fight, said he was within “one or two shots” of stopping it. “It was a heavyweight world championship,” he said. “These are tough guys and as long as a man fights back, you have to give him a chance.”

vCash

Believe me, this should have been stopped as much as the Jones v Scotland fight should have been stopped with a sustained on going beating round after round, not a fast heated exchange with one guy getting up from a knockdown given a chance but a hopeless ongoing one sided beating.

The ref acted like he knew nothing about pain, boxing, or anything else.

vCash

The British referee Ian John-Lewis is an ex-pro

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...6854&cat=boxer

vCash

No if anyone asks you after watching a Rocky movie if any of the fights are actually like that, you can point them to this one. The connect percentage was equal to what Clubber Lang had to Balboa in their first fight . . .Vitali couldn't miss, those last 4-5 rounds was one of the worst one-sided beatings I've ever seen. The ref is clearly at fault but how any corner could have sent their guy out in those last rounds is just pretty sick. You would almost think some of them had money on it going 12.

I also don't know what the hell Briggs was thinking. After getting hit that much, why not just put punches together and give yourself a shot rather than just sitting there taking a potentially life-altering beating? If his asthma has really gotten that bad (and carrying around 260+ lbs sure isn't helping) that he can't throw a 3 punch combination there is no way he should be licensed to fight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast