Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Klit/Briggs Post Fight Discussion

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Klit/Briggs Post Fight Discussion

Vitaly is obviously is a big frickin man. He may not have Tyson-esque 1-punch KO power, but he rained his best stuff on Briggs for 12 rounds like I have never seen him do before. Lesser beatings he gave to Williams, Sanders and even Peter ended at some earlier point. Briggs took all of this & more, so it is no surprise to me that Briggs is in the hospital. Christ, he SHOULD be in a hospital after that.

The ref and ESPECIALLY his corner should be held accountable for this should something happen to Briggs. Nobody in their right mind thought he had a chance after 5 rounds, let alone 8 or 9. Briggs landed 1 or 2 flush shots all night at best & even in the 1 or 2 fights Briggs pulled out from behind in his life with a big shot, he was never taking a beating like that. Not only did he have nothing left to hurt Vitaly with, when has Vitaly shown the kind of vulnerability that would make ANYONE think that this fight could be over in a few punches? Any living single-celled organism or above could see that Briggs was on his heels the last few rounds & had Z-E-R-O left. It is a disgusting shame that Briggs' corner didn't have the common sense to quit for him & Briggs is now in the hospital paying a huge price for their ignorance.

vCash

VK is simply too tall, has too much reach, ring generalship, experience, knows how to use his height and reach, has underrated speed and defense, solid power - not a killer puncher but so much weight and reach and stays so relaxed with his punches that he can wear on you with so many solid connects. Guy has a very high KO percentage and you can see why. He hits you with a lot of arm punches and semi arm punches that have some pop nevertheless and hits you a lot, and you can't hit him, and he knows how to occasionally zing in a hard one or a quick combo. Probably underrated, but the reason isn't so much what he does or doesn't do, but the fact of his opponents doing so little to test him. Too tall of an order for most all heavyweights today. That said, he is such a frustrating specimen that you have to give him credit where credit is due, particularly for such domination over all opponents for so many years and even at this age.

vCash

VK makes a lot of good fighters look like they’re nothing. Ali in his days did the same thing…

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    VK makes a lot of good fighters look like they’re nothing. Ali in his days did the same thing…
    Good fighters? Please explain why Briggs deserved to be ranked in the top 25 let alone have been fighting for a major title? Over 3 years ago he loses 11 of 12 rounds to Ibragimov in an awful performance, retires, then comes back and fights 4 tomato cans, with the best scalp being a 41 year old Rob Calloway . . .please explain why dominating this opponent, who couldn't be competitive with Jameel McCline and couldn't handle the pressure of Frans Botha or Sedrick Fields at his best, should enhance a resume? Vitali has been dominating but dominating utter garbage. Ali beat very good and great fighters, big difference.

vCash

Heard that Briggs was taken to the hospital and is in critical condition.

vCash

The two guys I most want to see the VKs fight are Povetkin and Solis.

True enough, Briggs wasn't a truly worthy contender to the crown. Amongst the crap that was out there, he wasn't the best of the garbage, so yes you can criticize the opponent choice. But then again, you can also understand it. It was a semi-intriguing matchup. Another big and tall guy with power, experience, and former linear champ. But old and has done nothing in particular in recent years, so there was a marketing angle but it was also safe choice for Vitaly. And in Germany, where fans show up no matter what, he can get away with it.

vCash

Shannon Briggs hospitalized after loss

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

Shannon Briggs displayed enormous heart during his lopsided loss to heavyweight titlist Vitali Klitschko on Saturday, and it landed him in the hospital.

Klitschko hit the former two-time titleholder repeatedly with flush right hands almost at will throughout his title-retaining shutout decision in Hamburg, but Briggs would not go down.

Now, he is in Hamburg's Eppendorf University Hospital with a broken left orbital bone in his face, a broken nose and a torn left biceps, Empire Sports and Entertainment promoter Greg Cohen told ESPN.com.

"He was banged up pretty bad," Cohen said, shortly after arriving back in New York on Sunday. "The CT scan came back normal, thank God. Shannon wants to get out of there as soon as possible, but he'll be there for a little bit longer. He's devastated. He really thought he was going to win."

Cohen said the biceps injury was the most severe.

"His biceps is a very serious injury and they have to do surgery, and he'll probably be there for a week," Cohen said. "It might require more than one surgery."

Cohen said rumors that Briggs, 38, had suffered a brain hemorrhage were not true and that he was resting at the hospital and had even joked around with him before he left Germany.

"I wouldn't be here [in New York] if he wasn't OK," Cohen said. "He was in intensive care after the fight for precautionary reasons. The injuries are not life-threatening. He's just banged up, but it's not life-threatening or very serious. Other than the injuries I described, everything else is OK.

"He walked out of the arena on his own. They wanted to put him on as stretcher, but he wouldn't let them. He's going to be fine."

Klitschko, 39, dominated all 12 rounds, but after about the seventh round the fight became a brutal beatdown. Klitschko (41-2, 38 KOs), with the best knockout percentage in heavyweight title history, continued to pound Briggs (51-6-1, 45 KOs), but neither the referee, Ian John Lewis, nor Briggs' trainers, Herman Caicedo and Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, stopped the fight.

Cohen wishes they would have.

"He trained for this. He was 100 percent ready mentally and physically, but I wish they would have stopped it around the eighth round," Cohen said. "I love Shannon. He's like family to me. As a human being, he is much more important to me than as an athlete. So it was tough to watch. But Shannon did not want them stopping this fight. I wish they didn't listen to him, but I understand. I spoke to his corner after one of the rounds and Shannon was telling him, 'I'm OK, I'm going to get him.' Even after the 11th round, he thought he was still going to do it. His will was never broken. If I was in the corner, I would have stopped it. But I'm the promoter, not the cornerman.

"I don't blame the referee at all. The referee did a good job. And I don't blame the corner. I understand, but my preference would have been for it to be stopped."

vCash

But Shannon did not want them stopping this fight. I wish they didn't listen to him, but I understand. I spoke to his corner after one of the rounds and Shannon was telling him, 'I'm OK, I'm going to get him.' Even after the 11th round, he thought he was still going to do it. His will was never broken.
    When he realised he was overclassed he set something up for his George Foreman-against-Michael Moorer-moment.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04
    Good fighters? Please explain why Briggs deserved to be ranked in the top 25 let alone have been fighting for a major title? Over 3 years ago he loses 11 of 12 rounds to Ibragimov in an awful performance, retires, then comes back and fights 4 tomato cans, with the best scalp being a 41 year old Rob Calloway . . .please explain why dominating this opponent, who couldn't be competitive with Jameel McCline and couldn't handle the pressure of Frans Botha or Sedrick Fields at his best, should enhance a resume? Vitali has been dominating but dominating utter garbage. Ali beat very good and great fighters, big difference.
    If the Klitschkoos weren’t there some of these guys, they now did easily beat, would have been champion(s). And they would probably be praised for some competitive fights they give each other. And after a while some of them could come to belong to one of the all time greats.

vCash

I respect the refs background but he should have absolutely stopped this fight as should have the corner. No explanation for not stopping works for this one.
    The man was taking a non stop facial pounding with no chance of winning and that is how boxer's die. Shannon did not have the reflexes or youthful conditioning to be allowed to remain in that ring for such one sided beating.

It comes down to the referee number one, the corner and the doctor.

The films show clearly this one should not have been allowed to go on as long as it did. I would like to know what Randy Gordon thinks about this issue.

vCash

At the end of that fight Briggs reminded me of Billy Collins ... it is scary ... how that fight went on is terrible ...

vCash

Part of why it was such a brutal beating is that VK with his cautiousness never stepped on the gas hard enough to finish him off when he was clearly ready to go. True he has a great KO percentage, but keep in mind Lennox Lewis had a younger and friskier Briggs out of there in 7 rounds. Then again, if this had been a 15 round bout, I think his corner WOULD have stopped it or Briggs would have eventually been KO'd.

vCash

If the Klitschkoos weren’t there some of these guys, they now did easily beat, would have been champion(s). And they would probably be praised for some competitive fights they give each other. And after a while some of them could come to belong to one of the all time greats.
    Hmm no. Some yes would be 'champs' although the current definition of that term is so watered down it matters fairly little (In an era where John Ruiz is a two time 'champion')

I remember all of the non K brother title fights of the last few years . . .Ibragimov-Briggs, Peter-McCline, Chagaev-Skelton, Rahman-Toney . . .those fights sucked and no-one was impressed by the participants.

vCash

i think shannon briggs and his corner were thinking of his last second win after trailing sergue liakovich a few years ago.

no miracles this time. i hope briggs is ok. he is a good guy and one of those fighters that is too tough for his own good. with a guy like that the corner should bail him out.

greg

Banned
    vCash

October 18th, 2010

Shannon Briggs Statement

By Shannon Briggs

Thank you all for your concern. I came to the hospital saturday night strictly as a precautionary measure, and after several tests the Dr.’s concluded that there were no severe head injuries. I am staying in the hospital to further examine an injury to my left bicep that I suffered in the first round. Unfortunately, the injury kept me from fully executing my fight plan. Not to take anything away from a brilliant performance by Vitali Klitchko Saturday night, had I had not injured my arm early on, who knows how the fight would have concluded. We are grateful to the fine doctors and people of Hamburg for the excellent care and support they’ve given me thus far, and as a life long asthmatic sufferer I’m truly grateful to Dr. Charles Hensley and his homeopathic formulation Zivair that helped make it possible to go 12 rounds and compete for the WBC title. As witnessed Saturday night and throughout my career, I never gave in even when my breathing was out of order or any injury kept me from being 100%. Despite prior reports, throughout the contest my trainer Herman Caicedo wanted to stop the fight, but I made it clear that stopping the fight was not an option. Thank you for all of your support and hopefully I showed you the heart of a lion and the perseverance of a champion.
    from fightnews

yeah, he might have come close to maybe winning 1 round.
    can't wait for klitschko/mccline and klitschko/grant.

vCash

I am staying in the hospital to further examine an injury to my left bicep that I suffered in the first round. Unfortunately, the injury kept me from fully executing my fight plan.
    Well for once I believe such story. At some moment it looked like his bicep was hanging in his left arm. That can very well explain his very poor, but very gutsy, performance. So there should be a rematch!

Administrator
    vCash

He may be a nice guy & I wish him the best with his injuries, but he is so annoying. Enough with the asthma shit already. I've lived with acute asthma my entire life, took a shitload of meds and still take them when necessary and have been hospitalized more times than I care to count as a kid. Granted, some physical activities haven't been a walk in the park because of it throughout my life, but in no way shape or form have I EVER used it as an excuse for anything or used it as a way to pat myself on the back.

Administrator
    vCash

Apparently the face-first Adamek was just as horrified at this fight.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/adam...708#more-63708

vCash

If you do not get referees in there whether they were a boxer or not beforehand that can see it is necessary to stop a fight like that early on, you will have more ring deaths.

The fight should have been stopped by the referee, whatever the corner does or does not want to do or the fighter, that many unanswered head shots is a road map to a tragedy. In this fight there is no explanation that is acceptable for allowing such a one sided beating to continue.

vCash

I was impressed with the amount of punches thrown and the condition of this 40 year old man who has comeback into boxing and defeats all thrown his way. Hes a good boxer and has learned to be intellegent in that ring and has to be one of the hardest heavyweights Ive seen to beat. I was surprised by his hand speed considering his size and age. I truly believe hed be hard to handle for many guys Ive read on this site that would eat him up. I dont buy it.
    Shannon Briggs showed all the heart in the world. HIs size and strength are to be admired for his stand. I saw courage and pride and I hope he does not pay in health for it. It should have been stopped and he would have none of it and and thats what we ask of our heroes. He earns my nod.

Administrator
    vCash

Exactly. Shannon was going as far as to tell the ref in the 11th & 12th rounds that he was "ok" and "all right" as he was getting pummeled without answer. And I guess since this ref apparently as never seen a beating before, he believed him.

vCash

The admiration I have for Shannon cannot be put into words, I agree with Rock, but just as a referee, I knew it had to be stopped for the man's future life.

Banned
    vCash

I have respect for every person that steps into a ring. Briggs, Arriola, all the heart and courage in the world. But I want to see a competetive fight. I don't want to see someone beat on for 11 rounds in the hopes they can land a lucky punch in the 12th.

vCash

I have a different view. Unless this possible injury early in the fight affected him, Shannon would have showed more bravery staying home rather than take a beating with almost no real offence. He never showed any fire or confidence outside of a lottery punch.

Im not saying he had much of a chance. But he gave himself no chance

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jlupi
    I have a different view. Unless this possible injury early in the fight affected him, Shannon would have showed more bravery staying home rather than take a beating with almost no real offence. He never showed any fire or confidence outside of a lottery punch.

Im not saying he had much of a chance. But he gave himself no chance

Not sure if I buy into this fight being any different if he hadnt sustained the injury. Ever since Shannon got caught up into looking like a WWE wrestler he has turned into a plodding fighter that barely throws punches. When I saw him in person a couple of weeks before the fight he was so dense muscle wise that he looked like he could barely move around... He has always had stamina issues so I have never understood why we continued to add so much muscle weight.

vCash

From Boxngnewsonline.

Shannon Briggs' pain: who's to blame?
    Matt Christie on who should stop a fight and when

NOT SUSTAINED: Briggs takes hard shots aplenty but not a great deal in succession

“I WISH the referee had asked me my opinion after six or 10 rounds,” said the ringside doctor for the Vitali Klitschko-Shannon Briggs Hamburg showdown officiated by Ian John-Lewis. “He was taking a lot of shots and I may have advised him to stop it.”

When pressed, though, the doctor admitted that he hadn’t seen enough punishment to make him raise his red card that would have ensured the fight was stopped immediately.

It was easy for the doctor to criticise the referee in the aftermath when it became clear Briggs was in a bad way in hospital. It would have been just as easy to get the fight stopped if it was bothering him that much at the time.

As the British referee explained, Briggs was never under sustained and unanswered punching. “It was a heavyweight world championship,” the former welterweight told Fightnews. “These are tough guys and as long as a man fights back, you have to give them a chance.”

One feels sympathy for all involved, though. It was a sorry ending to an impressive Vitali display. Klitschko’s face dropped upon hearing that the man he had been punching in the face for 36-minutes was in hospital.

“I wish him well,” the Ukrainian immediately said. “I have so much respect for Shannon Briggs. Nobody else would have taken those shots without going down.”

Briggs’ corner have also been derided for sending their charge out in the later rounds. Shannon is furious that his team are being chastised.

“Throughout the contest my trainer Herman Caicedo wanted to stop the fight,” Briggs explained in an email sent from his hospital bed. “But I made it clear that stopping it was not an option.”

From ringside, it was obvious that Klitschko was handing out a prolonged beating. Common sense should have prevailed but who was going to make the call? Boxing, as those who love the sport will know, has defied the laws of common sense throughout history.

Briggs was always trying to fight back, a shot in the eleventh gave Klitschko more to think about than any punch he’s taken in his comeback. Shannon was wild and shouting at Vitali. The signs of a helpless man were not obvious.

The torrential damage Shannon was taking was avoidable but it is too easy to point the finger at those who believed, at the time, they were doing the right thing.

Ian John-Lewis watched each punch land carefully. From the sixth round on he was ready and poised to call a halt. Briggs’ corner listened to Shannon demanding to fight.

And the doctor was happy – at the time - to let the fight last the distance. He admits he had the power to stop the fight at any time.

But, like the referee and Briggs’ corner, he chose not to.

Thanks for reading.

Administrator
    vCash

The latest & he's actually considering coming back after that.
    Amazing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5706447

vCash

Briggs received a terrible beating. But no way he would quit. Why wouldn’t he? First, this was an opportunity he probably would never get again. A torn biceps is not an excuse for a rematch. So it’s better to take the opportunity while it’s here. And second, by quitting he would get all the dirt the boxing world has to offer over him. No one would respect him. Only a very few boxing fans would sympathise. For the most of them he would be a coward, a unworthy challenger, and so on. So I believe it’s the system that produces fights like this. The decision Briggs had to make after torning his bicep would be in all cases the wrong one.

vCash

Briggs received a terrible beating. But no way he would quit. Why wouldn’t he? First, this was an opportunity he probably would never get again. A torn biceps is not an excuse for a rematch. So it’s better to take the opportunity while it’s here. And second, by quitting he would get all the dirt the boxing world has to offer over him. No one would respect him. Only a very few boxing fans would sympathise. For the most of them he would be a coward, a unworthy challenger, and so on. So I believe it’s the system that produces fights like this. The decision Briggs had to make after torning his bicep would be in all cases the wrong one.
    Nobody expects a fighter to quit but that is why we have refs and trainers who are supposed to look out for a fighters best interest.

vCash

If the Klitschkoos weren’t there some of these guys, they now did easily beat, would have been champion(s). And they would probably be praised for some competitive fights they give each other. And after a while some of them could come to belong to one of the all time greats.>>>>>>>

I find that hard to believe. would there be some competitive fights - sure. but who would be considered all time greats? Peter? not on his best day, Sultan ibragimov? maybe an ancient holyfield - he is prob still competitive with most of the current crop.
    Last edited by jlupi; 10-22-2010 at 11:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast