Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amir Khan vs Marcos Madaina

vCash

Re: Amir Khan vs Marcos Madaina

I was impressed by Khan! I never, EVER thought Amir Khan would survive a fight with a puncher who was able to get to him throughout. He's improved a lot skillwise, and even though his defence seems like it will always be unreliable at this level, he proved that now as an older & stronger guy he can take some meaty whacks.

I do think Joe Cortez helped him a lot by keeping Maidana away, just as he kept Hatton away from Mayweather but was happy for Hopkins to get in close to Calzaghe, but that crushing body shot in the 1st also took a lot out of Maidana. And any way, surviving the 10th and indeed the fight took some serious balls.

With his defence Mayweather is several steps too far, but Alexander or Bradley? Nope.

vCash

This defense thing puzzles me; Amir's aggressive and attacking style will leave him open. I think his D is a whole lot better. Hands high whilst moving and pulling away. H will never be a PBF or Pea, their defences are what makes them great. Not many fighters can do what they do.

Administrator
    vCash

All I've been thinking about after this fight is how he would match up against Alexander and Bradley.

I see Alexander being the safer bet of the 2. I think they will learn to respect each other's speed early but I don't think Alexander is busy enough to unravel Khan. Khan will have to keeps his combos shorter and tighter with Alexander. If he leaves himself out there when he finishes up like he did a few times against Maidana, he will get caught. I also still question Alexander's ability to take a punch. In the end this should end up being a tactical boxing match and a very winnable fight for Khan.

I think Bradley would give Khan hell but if Maidana couldn't get Khan to the mat, I doubt Bradley could. Bradley can take a shot, never runs out gas, knows how to cut off the ring and is pretty athletic himself. Khan is not going to be able to win on his bike for this one. Khan has the skills to beat Bradley and showed that he can gut out a tough fight, but Bradley brings a slightly different package - and a frustrating one at that. It will be interesting and ultimately I think this is the fight we will see as I expect Bradley to win over Alexander.

vCash

With his defenisve lapses Amir is definitely open to Bradley's looping right, just as he was Maidana's, but Bradley can't do the same damage. Maybe he can with his repeated headbutting but he still loses.

I also think Bradley will beat Alexander, but having seen Alexander down twice and in trouble against that fragile puncher (I forget his name) & his lack of KO power I now think this is a safe UD for Khan. I hope his team believe in him enough to match him more ambitously from here on in.

Administrator
    vCash

I bet Roach is hoping for Alexander as Bradley, win or lose, will give this kid another gut check for sure.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    If it was fiftenn he would have won it? How's that? Maybe, just maybe, Maidana would have had little left after his efforts in rds 10-12. And maybe
    Khan would have finished stronger...I wouldb't be so definite either way.
    i thought you said you didn't see the fight.

greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    i thought you said you didn't see the fight.

greg
    I didn't see the fight, just some highlights, and rds 11 and 12....
    Last edited by walshb; 12-13-2010 at 12:37 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    I didn't see the fight, just some highlights, and rds 11 and 12....
    walsh,
    was the fight not broad cast over there ? i am surprised that such an important fight with a british boxer would not be.

greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    walsh,
    was the fight not broad cast over there ? i am surprised that such an important fight with a british boxer would not be.

greg
    Yes, it was. As usual. It's just that I had a christmas, night out and fucking missed it. I will try and get to watch it all. I did see Khan's body shots in rd 1. Holy crap, the speed, accuracy and power of those shots....

vCash

Maidana's disappointment with the terrible Joe Cortez:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/team...198#more-70198

vCash

Here's a link I think everyone on CBZ should check out:

http://www.fairbutfirm.com/

I would, however, warn Mr. Lipton that despite his awesome physical conditioning something may explode in his body/head if HE checks it out, so consider it a warning, Ron!

Best,
    Kyoodle

vCash

No problem, God bless Joe, all the luck he has had and all the best to him.

He has been blessed with being given many assignments in NJ as he was very good friends with Larry Hazzard as they roomed together at one time and no matter what happens in Las Vegas it seems to stay in Vegas so that whatever outrageous job is done in the ring, more work is given.

Films do not lie, it has been written about by others for years.

Best of luck Joe,

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right
    Maidana's disappointment with the terrible Joe Cortez:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/team...198#more-70198

It's pretty hard to defend Cortez when you have this case put forth by Maidana's team

“We officially protested Joe Cortez’ appointment to the Nevada State Athletic Commission citing a few points. First of all and with all due respect, Joe is not fit to referee a fast fight last this. Secondly, we mentioned his terrible performance a few weeks back, when he allowed numerous fouls during the Celestino Caballero vs. Jason Litzau fight, harming Caballero’s chances. Even in the dressing room, we specifically advised Cortez to allow Maidana work on the in-fighting. All Cortez did was exactly the opposite, by permanently stepping in the middle for no reason, like he did in the tenth round, when Maidana was clearly on the verge of knocking Amir out. Not to mention the deduction of one point in the fifth round, when both fighters were on a clinch and fouled each other,” Maidana’s advisor Sebastian Contursi said

vCash

I will never for the life of me ever be able to figure out the collective myopia of any commission that permitted the ongoing use of some of these household name refs given their constant and glaring foul ups.

What was the fight which is on you tube I imagine where Cortez left the bleeding fighter on the deck and just walked away to have a talk with the Commission while the guy remained there without a doctor. Anyone have a film of that.

I saw this one which by itself is incredible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfmFG...eature=related

Mercante junior's history is off the charts, Cortez, Tony Perez doing Ali v Wepner, Mercer v Morrison, Cooney v Norton, Tua v Ruiz and on and on being given more work, Neuman with Abraham v MIranda I, Golota v Ruiz fights given to him again and again by Stevens in NY, is beyond comprehension.

Sorry, I respect Joe's boxing background but he was never a good ref and as Randy Gordon specifically proved neither was King Arthur. Having boxing writer friends is all it takes and being friends with the alphabet groups and a commissioner or two. Performance means zero.

vCash

I will never for the life of me ever be able to figure out the collective myopia of any commission that permitted the ongoing use of some of these household name refs given their constant and glaring foul ups.

What was the fight which is on you tube I imagine where Cortez left the bleeding fighter on the deck and just walked away to have a talk with the Commission while the guy remained there without a doctor. Anyone have a film of that.

I saw this one which by itself is incredible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfmFG...eature=related

Mercante junior's history is off the charts, Cortez, Tony Perez doing Ali v Wepner, Mercer v Morrison, Cooney v Norton, Tua v Ruiz and on and on being given more work, Neuman with Abraham v MIranda I, Golota v Ruiz fights given to him again and again by Stevens in NY, is beyond comprehension.

Sorry, I respect Joe's boxing background but he was never a good ref and as Randy Gordon specifically proved neither was King Arthur. Having boxing writer friends is all it takes and being friends with the alphabet groups and a commissioner or two. Performance means zero.

vCash

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoodle
    Here's a link I think everyone on CBZ should check out:

http://www.fairbutfirm.com/

I would, however, warn Mr. Lipton that despite his awesome physical conditioning something may explode in his body/head if HE checks it out, so consider it a warning, Ron!

Best,
    Kyoodle
    at least you can post there and tell him what you think.

greg

vCash

Me or Kyoodle?

vCash

What I think is what most boxing fans think that with all respect Joe gave an unfair advantage to Amir Khan and consistently does not let guys fight on the inside like Hatton or Madaina.

vCash

By Steve KIm on Max Boxing Dec 13, 2010
    "- OK, anyone had enough of referee Joe Cortez and his antics? To paraphrase the legendary Buffalo Bills coach, Marv Levy, he’s an over-officious jerk. And at times, it felt like it was two-on-one in there for Maidana, who was already having problems with Khan’s fast hands and fleet feet.

"It kinda felt that way," Maidana admitted, through Golden Boy matchmaker, Eric Gomez, "I had him hurt and I was stopped from working and at one point, I thought he was even going to punch me."

He stopped being firm or fair awhile ago. I’ve always wondered why Kenny Bayless doesn’t get the lion’s share of the big fights in Vegas. As for Cortez, how he keeps getting the big gigs is maddening.

"I have no idea, my friend," said an incensed Diaz, a few minutes after the fight. "I have no idea but I’m as suspicious as you are."

vCash

I realize he was probably honored prior to the televised portion of Saturday night's HBO card, but I thought it was improper for Cortez to be seated on the "TV" side of the ring during the prelim. I can guarantee you that the majority of those were Golden Boy house seats and not available through regular box office sales. For a referee to accept something like this (IF my thesis is correct) is either astoundingly arrogant or just plain dumb.

Kyoodle

vCash

I am late, I know, but this fight was not great at all. I watched Ward-Burton the night before. That was a great fight.

Cortez with all of his antics.
    Khan running for his life at round 8.
    Maidana just as crude as a caveman.

My first viewing of Khan. He kept running and punching at the same time. Never sitting down and working for real. He dropped the guy with a nice shot. He should have come back and went right back to the ribs.

Maidana, although horribly crude, fought like a man. Coming up off the mat, dealing with Joe, and chasing a runner. I think I gave Maidana three 10-8 rounds in a row. One for the beating he was giving, the others for the running that Khan was doing, and also to in my mind spite Cortez.

Why is Cortez in boxing if he does not like fighters? He did such a great job with Duran - Barkley. What happened to him? I wish he would stop his "Fair but firm " nonsense as well.

Either that or put on gloves.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123