Thread: Michael"Dynamite"Dokes

vCash

Michael"Dynamite"Dokes

Does anyone know how he is doing?
    Is he in good enough health for a writer
    to do his memoirs?

vCash

Re: Michael"Dynamite"Dokes

I hope he is, I think he has a lot to comment on, especially leaving home at 14. and his short turn at the top.

vCash

Dokes has cancer and is a sick man. There are a few threads on him and his illness here if you do a search.

vCash

From what I've read recently, his cancer has spread, and he's probably at death's door.Wish him well, amazingly, the heavyweights with the most talent of that era, one's dead(Page), and the other not far behind(Dokes).

vCash

Two others are dead - John Tate, way back in 1998 and Trevor Berbick in 2006.
    Last edited by Overhand_Right; 08-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.

vCash

A lot of 80's names have already died Leroy Jones, Scott LeDoux, Trevor Berbick, Anders Eklund, James Broad, Leroy Boone, Jeff Sims.............

vCash

Michael Dokes speaking prior to a 2009 Don King show - still at this point a scary guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5srfU4XMdyM

vCash

Dokes sounds bad in that clip a mixture of a very long Boxing career and drugs.

Dokes goes back a long way fought the likes of Spinks, Page, Tate, Stevenson etc as an amateur and mixed it with the best in a long pro' career. If he hadnt have snorted all his money up his nose he could have retired a far healthier man around the late 1980's.

Looking at that clip then comparing it to some of his 1975-76 amateur fights I have of his.... very sad.

vCash

He should've taken something and beat Don King in the head with it, he learned the hard way like the rest of them.

vCash

Maybe I am getting cynical in my old age but the older I get the more I feel regardless how many of these fighters were managed they still would have blown their millions on drink, drugs, women, fast cars etc and end up near pennilessby by the time their 40.

vCash

Sadly I tend to agree. As much as I love Spoon, Tubbs, Page, Dokes, Tyson, Tucker, L.Spinks, they are all essentially mad, in different ways, and were destined to throw away their half of the money. At least Tubbs had the foresight to invest his first big payday in property and thus has always owned a large family home. Not sure the others took the future that seriously. Hope Tubbs' legal costs relating to his addictions haven't changed those circumstances.

Dokes late 80s/early 90s manager Marty Cohen maneuvered Dokes shrewdly and got him some big fights and nice paydays - all for free, and said in the Holyfield buildup Dokes was in his will, such was his love for Michael. Logically, Dokes really should be a wealthy man, but again who knows how badly his addictions, illnesses and court case have drained his account.

No surprise really that the more apparently sane heavies, Holmes, M.Spinks, Bonecrusher and Douglas, all were smart with their money and seem to have enjoyed a comfortable middle class early retirement. Pinky too.

vCash

Dokes's death has been announced today at the age of 54. RIP.

vCash

Heavyweight fighter Michael Dokes: Obituary
    By Joe Maxse

Dokes died Saturday night.

Michael Dokes always packed a punch. Nicknamed "Dynamite," the heavyweight fighter came out of Akron in the 1970s and made an immediate name for himself in the boxing ring.

He also set off on a life of excess when it came to drugs, alcohol and women.

Dokes, who turned 54 on Friday died in Akron on Saturday night after battling liver cancer for several years.

"It's hard to know what to say," said longtime friend Stanley Jackson of Cleveland. "I met him when he first turned pro. He was like a young son to me. I just know I loved him."

With his fast and powerful fists, Dokes was on the national boxing stage at age 15 when he made it to the finals of the national Golden Gloves tournament. He won the national AAU heavyweight championship in 1975 and the Golden Gloves title the following year.

"I remember some classic Golden Glove bouts between Michael and Cleveland's Freddie Bambino," said Clytee Dunn, veteran amateur official with USA Boxing's Lake Erie Association. "They were something."

Dokes turned professional and stopped Al Byrd in his first bout on Oct. 15, 1976 in Hollywood, Fla.

He was 25-0-1, with 14 knockouts, when he won the World Boxing Association heavyweight title with a first-round technical knockout of Mike Weaver at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nev., on Dec. 10, 1982. In a rematch five months later, the bout was judged a majority draw and Dokes retained the title.

However, Dokes disappointed his hometown fans when he lost the title to Gerrie Coetzee on a 10th-round stoppage at The Coliseum in Richfield on Sept. 23, 1983.

Dokes admitted his drug use cost him the title. In an article in Sports Illustrated years later, Dokes said he trained for the fight "on cocaine and Jack Daniels."

"That fight should never have happened," Dokes told the Akron Beacon Journal in August 2010. "It's a fight I didn't live up to. I should never have brought it home."

Promoter Don King put on that fight in Richfield.

"Michael was a great fighter," said King. "He fought the good fight. It's unfortunate."

While Dokes remained a contender, he was unable to regain the championship. He lost pivotal bouts to Evander Holyfield in March 1989 and to Donovan Ruddock in April 1990.

In that latter bout, he was knocked unconscious for several minutes in the fourth round at Madison Square Garden. It was felt by some that Dokes' career should have been put to rest at that point.

He was given one more opportunity to reach the top. But that ended just as badly, with the fighter already showing the signs of decline both in and out of the ring.

Before his 1993 Madison Square Garden title bout against champion Riddick Bowe, Dokes enjoyed the New York limelight as he dined with followers and reporters. Weighing 244 pounds, Dokes did not back off from a plate of pasta as it would not hamper his training for the big fight.

"The past is history, the future isn't here yet, and the present is linguine and clam sauce," he told The Plain Dealer.

Dokes was stopped in the first round by Bowe. He earned $750,000.

He fought five more times after that, losing his final two bouts. He was stopped in the second round by Paul Phillips in his final bout on Oct. 11, 1997 in Erlanger, Ky., to finish with a career record of 53-6, with 34 knockouts.

In 1998, Dokes was arrested in Nevada on charges that he assaulted his girlfriend and sentenced to 10 years in prison. He had pleaded guilty to attempted murder, second-degree kidnapping and intent to commit sexual assault.

He was paroled in 2008.

He lived in Las Vegas before returning to Akron to live with relatives in 2010.

vCash

RIP Michael Dokes. I always liked him.

I'd never excuse that last criminal event with his girlfriend, but I loved to watch him fight and found him to be a great guy in person. 54 is way too young to go.

He was a class act generally and boxing-wise was unlike the Tubbs-Page-Witherspoon-Broad 1980s overweight and inconsistent heavyweights with whom he is usually lumped in. He was quite consistently excellent, until he lost to Coetzee; then he just went straight downhill.

vCash

Newspaper report from 1975 of the Stevenson V Dokes fight.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...tevenson&hl=en

P.S. Dokes beat Trevor Berbick just before this fight.

vCash

Newspaper report on Dokes losing his place on the USA Olympic team after losing to John Tate.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...s+spinks&hl=en

vCash

Michael Frank! When did you meet Dokes and what was he like?

vCash

Hi Overhand,

I met him a couple of times at the Forum in Los Angeles around 1989-91, when they had fights there. The first time was in the bar at the Forum (the "Forum Club"), and he had a drink with a friend of mine and me . . . and Dokes wanted us to pay for his drink (we did)! He was dressed in a suit and had a total beauty of a young woman with him, she looked very much like Mayweather's Miss Jackson but slightly prettier and dressed less like a whore.

As he was when on TV in the late '70s and early '80s, Dokes was extremely well-spoken and had lots to say about boxing that was fresh and interesting. Unlike Tony Tubbs, whom I met there on another occasion (and who was also very nice), Dokes was realistic and didn't make up anything to sound great. He truly told it like it was. We asked him about his life and career, not "How would you have done against so-and-so?".)

I'd say that I met a lot of top fighters to speak with there, including Ali (who took some pics with me, as did Carlos Palomino, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., Archie Moore, also Dr. Jerry Buss). I also met Ken Norton, Terry Norris, Ike Williams, Ruben Olivares (who always came with a woman with big tits and always baring mucho cleavage), Armando Muniz, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad (who was especially nice, also showed humility when I asked him about if he ever would have fought Larry Holmes, or Michael Spinks in a rematch), Ray Mancini, Azumah Nelson, Paul Gonzalez, Hector Lopez, Henry Tillman, Henry Hearns, Monroe Brooks (numerous times for him) . . . and I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few boxers I'd met from those nights at the fights in Los Angeles. Basically, fighters who lived in L.A.

Also, lots of movie and TV celebrities, and other athletes, would show for the fights, and I'd spend a couple of minutes or sometimes a lot more time with them, including Magic Johnson, other Laker players of the time, football great and actor Jim Brown, legendary comedian Milton Berle, singer Mary Wilson (of the Supremes--an incredibly nice woman and looking amazingly beautiful, thin, and still young in 1991), Dr. Jerry Buss (owner of the Lakers and of the Forum, who was also a USC science professor, and who always had young babes with him a la Hugh Hefner), actor Elliott Gould, Howie Long and Marcus Allen (of the Raiders in football), plenty more.

The night that Thomas Hearns fought at the Forum, even past his prime as he was in 1991 (vs. Kemper Morton), he packed the house with ALL the celebrities, unlike any other boxing night there. The majority of those celebs, boxers, and other athletes I named above all came on the SAME night, to see Tommy Hearns fight.

+ Reply to Thread