Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question for Dongee

vCash

A question for Dongee

Hap,
    Several years ago you were of great help when I was researching my uncle Hank Bath's career.
    I have been wondering if their might be any other information about him you might be able to pass on to me?

Thanks Hap

Randy

vCash

Re: A question for Dongee

Quote Originally Posted by Wing master
    Hap,
    Several years ago you were of great help when I was researching my uncle Hank Bath's career.
    I have been wondering if their might be any other information about him you might be able to pass on to me?

Thanks Hap

Randy
    Sorry, Randy, bu there is little I can add to what I suspect ;you already know about Hank Bath. He came along at a time when heavyweight prospects were welcomed with open arms bv our metropolitan LA press. It did no hurt a bit that he eventually came under the guidance of Doc Kearns.
    His bout with Butch Rogers got a lot of publicity because Rogers was managed by the best boxing publicist in the state at the time, Bill Miller, whose credentials as a boxing luminary were outstanding (Filipino fighters).

Hank was around our southland only a short time and his place was eventually taken over by the man who turned out to be his final ring foe, Rodie O'Dooley. The latter's manager was also a highly skilled ring figure, Jerry Pelton, who in time produced Wally Hally and Toby Vigil. Jerry was one of the earliest acquaintances I had even as a teenager hanging around the Olympic dressing room doors. I was just a kid but he was always happy to answer my dumb questions about the fight game.
    There must be tons of press available on microfilm about Hank Bath's brief stay
    among us because of his connection with Kearns (Dempsey).

Good to hear from you, friend Randy.

hap navarro

vCash

Thanks Hap.
    I have read many news paper articles about Hank.
    Its the little things like O'Dooley taking his place in southern California and the managers of these guys that will get me "kick started" in my research again.
    Thanks again Hap. You have been a great help.

Randy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wing master
    Thanks Hap.
    I have read many news paper articles about Hank.
    Its the little things like O'Dooley taking his place in southern California and the managers of these guys that will get me "kick started" in my research again.
    Thanks again Hap. You have been a great help.

Randy
    You are welcome, Randy. There is a story in Rodie, too, because he was an amateur of note in our state under another name, as I recall, and there was a long period of uncertainty as to what would be the ultimate choice in his fighting name.
    I also seem to recall a controversy that involved a heavyweight fighter being pulled off the card at the Olympic for allegedly being intoxicated at ringtime. Do you know if it involved a scheduled opponent of Hank's? That happened about the same time that Bath was active in LA.

hap

vCash

You are right Hap. Hank was supposed to fight Terris Hill on October 15, 1935. Hill showed up and was intoxicated. They substituted Ralph Norwood who was Hanks sparring partner. After Hank knocked him out in the first round it was questioned if the whole thing was a set up.
    Kearns took Hank to Arizona for a couple of weeks and he had 2 fights there. Then they returned to the Olympic Auditorium on November 12th and Hank fought Terris Hill. The deturmination was that they had to donate a certain percentage of their purse to a charity. I think it was something like 10 or 20 percent.
    I have never heard the story from any family member, but from what I have read about Doc Kearns I really wouldn't be surprised if something was up.

Thanks mi amigo

Randy

+ Reply to Thread