Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: America's Nuclear Nightmare: 31 Reactor's Like Japan's/Regulators Ignoring Risk

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

America's Nuclear Nightmare: 31 Reactor's Like Japan's/Regulators Ignoring Risk

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: America's Nuclear Nightmare: 31 Reactor's Like Japan's/Regulators Ignoring Risk

Does this scare the hell out of you guys like it does me? When I see what happened in Japan & realize we have the same exact plants - built to only last 40 years - & the same lacksidasical controls & foresight it gives me shivers.

I mean it's unimaginable to me that they could build a nuclear plant 30 miles from New York City & place it right one convergence of TWO fault lines!!!

What the fuck are these people thinking? I feel we're doomed to be devastatingly damaged by inadequate government controls & corporate greed...

Only in America, eh Don?

GorDoom

vCash

Re: America's Nuclear Nightmare: 31 Reactor's Like Japan's/Regulators Ignoring Risk

We all, myself included, try to ignore this and not think about it. You read an article like this though and it's fucking chilling because you realize its not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

EMF

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GorDoom View Post
    Does this scare the hell out of you guys like it does me? When I see what happened in Japan & realize we have the same exact plants - built to only last 40 years - & the same lacksidasical controls & foresight it gives me shivers.

I mean it's unimaginable to me that they could build a nuclear plant 30 miles from New York City & place it right one convergence of TWO fault lines!!!

What the fuck are these people thinking? I feel we're doomed to be devastatingly damaged by inadequate government controls & corporate greed...

Only in America, eh Don?

GorDoom
    There are lots of things that I am like...... I for one grew up in the church and believe in God jesus and yes the tribulation, rapture etc. Now here in 2011 people make believers look like far out radical crazies.. This leads to my point, growing up a lot of things that was predicted I was like no way, sound intelligent leaders of the world knowing what the bible says, would not allow decisions to be made that would set the world on a course towards these horrendous outcomes. However, all one has to do is look at all the crazy decisions like this you mention Gordoom, and them other things leaders of countrys are doing currently. Combine that with the ability via technology for a average every day joe to be creative and do something that could pretty much take down a city, if not a country (Bin Laden)for period of time...

This nightmare is something you and I agree is unthinkable that our leaders and planners woud do such a crazy thing, but it seems like that is all that our elected officals do is make decisions the totally befuddle the average US citizen.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Pockets of lethal radiation remind of Fukushima plant danger

TOKYO (Reuters) - Pockets of lethal levels of radiation have been detected at Japan's crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in a fresh reminder of the risks faced by workers battling to contain the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl.
    Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco) reported on Monday that radiation exceeding 10 sieverts (10,000 millisieverts) per hour was found at the bottom of a ventilation stack standing between two reactors.
    On Tuesday Tepco said it found another spot on the ventilation stack itself where radiation exceeded 10 sieverts per hour, a level that could lead to incapacitation or death after just several seconds of exposure.
    The company used equipment to measure radiation from a distance and was unable to ascertain the exact level because the device's maximum reading is 10 sieverts.
    While Tepco said the readings would not hinder its goal of stabilizing the Fukushima reactors by January, experts warned that worker safety could be at risk if the operator prioritized hitting the deadline over radiation risks.
    "Radiation leakage at the plant may have been contained or slowed but it has not been sealed off completely. The utility is likely to continue finding these spots of high radiation," said Kenji Sumita, a professor at Osaka University who specializes in nuclear engineering.
    "Considering this, recovery work at the plant should not be rushed to meet schedules and goals as that could put workers in harm's way. We are past the immediate crisis phase and some delays should be permissible."
    Workers at Daiichi are only allowed to be exposed to 250 millisieverts of radiation per year.
    Tepco, which provides power to Tokyo and neighboring areas, said it had not detected a sharp rise in overall radiation levels at the compound.
    "The high dose was discovered in an area that doesn't hamper recovery efforts at the plant," Tepco spokesman Junichi Matsumoto told reporters on Tuesday.
    Although it is still investigating the matter, Tepco said the spots of high radiation could stem from debris left behind by emergency venting conducted days after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that crippled the plant.

vCash

Historically Nuc power is the safest. The fear w Nuc is a problem basically can basically make an area uninhabitable for some time.

deaths/TWh
    Coal world average 161 (26% of world energy, 50% of electricity)
    Coal China 278
    Coal USA 15
    Oil 36 (36% of world energy)
    Natural Gas 4 (21% of world energy)
    Biofuel/Biomass 12
    Peat 12
    Solar (rooftop) 0.44 (less than 0.1% of world energy)
    Wind 0.15 (less than 1% of world energy)
    Hydro 0.10 (europe death rate, 2.2% of world energy)
    Hydro - world including Banqiao) 1.4 (about 2500 TWh/yr and 171,000 Banqiao dead)
    Nuclear 0.04 (5.9% of world energy)

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/dea...gy-source.html

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Earthquake may have exceeded nuclear plant's design
    By Wendy Koch, USA TODAY

A nuclear power plant has reported that last week's 5.8-magnitude earthquake may have created stronger shaking that it was designed to withstand, prompting the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to send additional inspectors to the Virginia facility this week.

That estimate is now in question. The difference may be lost in the translation from magnitude to ground motion. Although earthquakes are routinely measured in magnitude, or energy released, the NRC requires the nation's 104 nuclear reactors to withstand a predicted level of ground motion, or acceleration — something calculated as a g-force. The NRC has cautioned that it's not easy to convert the two.

Norvelle said last week that the North Anna plant, which has been shut down since the quake, was designed to withstand ground motion of 0.12g where the foundation is rock and 0.18 where it's soil. What was the quake's ground motion under the facility?

"That data are so preliminary that we're not going to discuss them," he said in an interview Monday, adding the plant may be able to do so by week's end. He said the plant has more than a dozen sensors, and it's not received data yet from all of them.

He hastened to add that no "significant" damage has been found yet at the plant, which shut down automatically last Tuesday after it lost off-site power for seven hours. During that time, backup diesel generators kicked in to keep the radioactive core cool.

On Friday, Dominion notified NRC that "the seismic activity potentially exceeded the Design Basis," and on Monday, the NRC announced that it is sending an "augmented inspection team."

"There doesn't appear to be any damage to safety systems," said regional NRC spokesman Roger Hannah. But if the quake's ground motion did exceed the plant's design basis, he said the facility will have to examine what can be done to rectify the situation.

vCash

>>>>

I didnt mention that I pass on the other side of the hudson from this plant daily and am a short walk from direct view when at work.

+ Reply to Thread