Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lebedev vs. Jones - Jones KOd in Russia, in chilling fashion

vCash

Re: Roy Jones KOd in Russia, in chilling fashion

I would add if I may that after one shot knockout losses to Green, Johnson, Tarver and this, and the way he just lays there, he should be prevented from ever entering a ring again as a boxer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton View Post
    I have films of Roy MISSING the punches by inches when he asked me to stop the Brannon fight, he was missing him on the ropes at that very moment, slow the films down and watch, I have, this is a far cry from a Tua v Ruiz or this horrible referee job.
    Ron, you can even see Lebedev appeal to Smoger to step in before landing that last concussive shot then look at his corner and shrug as if to say "What was I supposed to do?" Very slow reaction by Smoger and an unecessary clean shot to an already defensless Jones.

vCash

True, I saw it you are right.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8 View Post
    Ron, you can even see Lebedev appeal to Smoger to step in before landing that last concussive shot then look at his corner and shrug as if to say "What was I supposed to do?" Very slow reaction by Smoger and an unecessary clean shot to an already defensless Jones.
    I liked how Lebedev's first reaction to the victory was not jubilation but frustration at the ref, and then he wanted to check in on Roy right away. Seems like a good heart in there.

vCash

Over the last several years, Roy has been been destroyed by every decent fighter he fought. Yet, he still was competitive somewhat with Bernard Hopkins a year or so ago. It is important to factor that in the perspective when evaluating Bernard's win tonight. Bernard has the heart and mindset of a champion. But, did he win tonight, or did Pascal (who clearly does not have the heart of a champion) just lose. If you think it was simply a matter of Bernard being great, than explain why he couldn't do what second tier fighters like Lebedev and Danny Green did to Roy.

vCash

WOW is all I can say. That KO was brutal. Roy Jones physcially is starting to look different. Thick and soft.

Roy Jones stated after the fight that he doesnt give up that easily and will be back.

Sad.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Jackson View Post
    Over the last several years, Roy has been been destroyed by every decent fighter he fought. Yet, he still was competitive somewhat with Bernard Hopkins a year or so ago. It is important to factor that in the perspective when evaluating Bernard's win tonight. Bernard has the heart and mindset of a champion. But, did he win tonight, or did Pascal (who clearly does not have the heart of a champion) just lose. If you think it was simply a matter of Bernard being great, than explain why he couldn't do what second tier fighters like Lebedev and Danny Green did to Roy.
    Are you serious? Roy wasn't competitive at all with Hopkins, he didn't win a single round, whereas he actually took rounds off of Lebedev and had him wobbled the round before the KO. Talk about bias . . .

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
    WOW is all I can say. That KO was brutal. Roy Jones physcially is starting to look different. Thick and soft.

Roy Jones stated after the fight that he doesnt give up that easily and will be back.

Sad.
    Wow, Roy said he is coming back... Every sanctioning body should get together and ensure Roy and others in this type of condition where it is visable that they do not have any reason being in a ring, then back it with mandated tests,,, they should should Block roy from fulfilling that statement. he made after his most recent loss

vCash

Why have Roy's team not refused to cooperate with him? After Tarver III in 2005 how could anyone who loves or cares about him allow him to continue? I can't believe the same old faces were around him in Russia for this dangerous fight with a big strong heavyhanded fighter in his 20s. All these guys are accountable for whatever condition Roy ends up in in 10 years time, disgraceful the whole lot of them.

Can he not make money in ANY other way??

vCash

Don't know where this notion is coming from that Roy was so competitive in this fight with Lebedev. I saw the whole fight, and I only scored 2 rounds for Roy. Yes he landed some individual snappy punches every now and then, but for the most part he was clearly being outworked by Denis.
    Roy had a good 1st round, but was pretty listless and inconsistent throughout much of the fight. Also, Roy landed a solid, beautiful one-two combination late in the 9th Round that stopped Lebedev in his tracks, but I didn't see any sign that he was "wobbled" or in any serious trouble.

vCash

Roy Jones is flat broke! He makes some money from HBO announcing but all the big money he made as a fighter is gone. He may have lost $8 million in the record business. He owes more than $3 million in back taxes. He is fighting to pay his bills, pure and simple, and that's a shame because he'll die in the ring before he pays off Uncle Sam.

vCash

How can you know this Wolgast? What info do you have access to that we don't?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wolgast View Post
    Roy Jones is flat broke! He makes some money from HBO announcing but all the big money he made as a fighter is gone. He may have lost $8 million in the record business. He owes more than $3 million in back taxes. He is fighting to pay his bills, pure and simple, and that's a shame because he'll die in the ring before he pays off Uncle Sam.
    I think the initial report of Roy's tax trouble came from the the Detroit News' Tax Watchdog.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/t...ategory=Boxers

Posted by Robert Snell (The Detroit News) on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Uncle Sam pummels boxing great Roy Jones Jr.

Former heavyweight champ Roy Jones Jr., considered by many the best pound-for-pound boxer in history, is getting pounded by the IRS. The 42-year-old HBO boxing analyst, who is making an ill-advised comeback fight this spring, owes more than $3.5 million in delinquent federal taxes, records show.

Jones, 42, joins a long line of boxing greats in tax trouble, including memorabilia-hocking Kronk Gym legend Thomas Hearns and Grand Rapids native Floyd Mayweather Jr.

He will get back into the ring May 22 in tax-friendly Russia.

What's owed:

* The IRS filed a $629,085 lien against Jones on March 21 with the Santa Rosa County Clerk in Florida. According to the lien, which you can see below, he owes income taxes from 2009

* The IRS filed a $2,946,650 lien against him Feb. 11, 2008, in Santa Rosa County. He owes income taxes from 2003 and 2004, according to this lien.

His side:

An HBO spokesman referred questions to the boxer's agent, Lon Rosen, who works for Magic Johnson Enterprises. Rosen did not respond to an e-mail or phone call seeking comment.

vCash

God almighty, how do you end up in such a mess? How is it even possible?

What do the IRS do when a man simply is not in position to earn the money that he owes them? Roy simply cannot make 3 mil in a boxing ring any longer, so what does he do?

vCash

Just last week I was watching the WBC Silver (!!!) cruiserweight bout on TV live from Uruguay with some friends and I told them that Smoger was carrying himself in the ring like an insomniac. Yesterday again he looked as if he was suffering from jetlag. Truth is he's just plain old and should retire as well

vCash

A old boxers best friend. The IRS. I hope he can settle for far less.

vCash

I don't really have much sympathy . . .Roy needs to pay his taxes like everyone else.

At least with Louis you have an argument part of his debts should have been forgiven for the war benefits he did . . .here you just have King of Egos living beyond his means and failing to pay the piper.

Administrator
    vCash

This is pretty sad but I didn't see this ending any other way.
    On one side of the planet his longtime nemesis BHop was making history while RJJ was further destroying his own in front of a tenth of the audience.
    Back in the day, BHop could barely sell out his hometown right after beating Trinidad while RJJ would sell out fighting random public servants.
    Amazing how things change.

I didn't think RJJ was competitive in the BHop rematch at all.
    It was apparent RJJ no longer had the tools to win any big fight and still BHop showed way too much respect.
    It was an ugly fight that did nothing for either person's career & should have never happened.
    After the complete zero RJJ put up against JC, BHop should have run him right over.
    When BHop thinks he is up against someone who can match or better him in speed or skill, he muddles up the fight up like he did with RJJ, JC, etc.
    When he knows he's got a leg up, you get performances like what we saw with Tarver, Pavlik, etc.

Smoger has been around long enough to know that he should have been watching this old RJJ much more carefully in a fight like this.
    There was potential permanent damage written all over this fight before it started.
    I feel bad for Lebedev, who obviously has a conscience, for being just about forced to take that last shot on a defenseless RJJ.

I didn't think there was any way RJJ would be in the position he is for having to fight for $ after the very lucrative career he had.
    I figured this embarrassing leg of his career was all ego but the financial problems make much more sense.
    Sad, sad, sad...

vCash

I find it amazing that the former p4p fighter in the world who had long term contracts with HBO and a few big pay per view shows and endorsments with brands like Michael Jordan Jumpman could be broke. Even though he was an egomaniac I never saw him in the same light as a Mayweather who seems to spend cash like its going out of style.

Sad.

Administrator
    vCash

I'm not sure its a case of being broke as it is fighting to pay taxes & maintain his lifestyle without giving anything up that he already has.
    I would imagine that someone with the kind of money he has (or had) should have his hands in plenty of real estate or at least something he could sell to make things easier for him in a case where you hear things like this.
    Being rich and keeping yourself as comfy as you always were later in life are 2 different things.
    If RJJ kept spending the way he used back when he would pick up a few mil on a fights a few times a year, I imagine he would eventually run into a problem where financially the math won't quite work out anymore.
    He did well in his career but never quite got to that big $ DLH/PBF PPV level.
    I took him for being smarter than this but who knows.
    Other than his attempt at a rap career, he kept things pretty private.

vCash

Even if Jones wasn't getting Mayweather/Pac level paydays in his prime, so what? It was still way more money than a normal man will make in his lifetime. It was a looong prime, 1993-2003 in title fights on HBO, then a few big fights after that with Tarver, Johnson and Calzaghe, surely evening out at at least half a mil to a mil after taxes and deductions per title fight? Am I way off? Probably more with HBO contracts?

How could a guy living on a farm in Pensacola, Florida blow his fortune? For all the rap style braggadocio, he came across as a relatively sensible guy, He must if been accumulating money, especially since for so many years of his prime he was adamant he must retire by 35.

Does anyone know anything about Jones out the ring? Does he have a wife? I know twin boys sprung up in the 90s, but they can't have drained his bank account.

vCash

Re: Lebedev vs. Jones - Jones KOd in Russia, in chilling fashion

Poor Roy

I guess that's why you just gotta' love James Toney. Imposible to KO the man...

Administrator
    vCash

I think Jones used to live a pretty clean life, but who knows now. If his recent string of KO losses are embarrassing to his fans, imagine how they must make him feel.

When he was on MTV Cribs a while back, he did have a wife.

vCash

Roy Jones on Cribs. Please tell me this place was already paid off. If it was, why did he need to continue fighting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjkKiZfJwaQ

Administrator
    vCash

Cuz it's probably just "her" house now...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12