Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GSP Vs Diaz - It's On!

vCash

GSP Vs Diaz - It's On!

http://mma.mirror.co.uk/2011/06/01/i...rweight-title/

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/...ory?id=6616943

"You guys wanted it! You got it," White said. "GSP vs. Diaz Oct. 29, UFC 137 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas."

Awesome!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: GSP Vs Diaz - It's On!

UFC 137: Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz, GSP Speaks About Facing Diaz
    By Sal DeRose/Bleacher Report

Now that almost a day has gone by since UFC president Dana White announced that Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz would be facing UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, someone has finally gotten a hold of GSP and asked him about the fight.

GSP is currently in Rome, Italy with some of his amateur-wrestling training partners who are competing in a meet in the European country.

"I'm excited," GSP told The Canadian Press from Rome, "because it's been a long time he's been talking about me, saying like he's the best, he was saying I was avoiding him and stuff. But I never avoid anybody."

The talk of this fight has finally come to fruition and it is still not known if Diaz will vacate his Strikeforce welterweight belt or if he will keep it under his new contract. The new contract Diaz signed allows him to fight both Strikeforce fighters and UFC fighters.

"For me, I don't care about the other title," GSP said. "The title that means the most to me is UFC. It's the most prestigious one. The UFC is [like] the NFL of football, the Stanley Cup of hockey. That's the one that everyone's wants to have.

"I don't care about gaining the Strikeforce title. I'm a UFC guy and I want to stay in the UFC the rest of my career. That's where I belong."

To some, Diaz is a top welterweight and is considered the biggest threat to GSP's throne. Both fighters hold impressive win streaks with Diaz's at 10 straight victories and GSP's at nine straight.

"Right now I'm champion. I don't care about fighting for a title. I care about fighting the name and Nick Diaz, he's the guy to beat right now," said GSP. "He's the guy that a lot of people rank him even No. 1 so that's why I want to fight him."

Like in his last fight against Jake Shields, a teammate of Diaz's, GSP says it will be an interesting, exciting fight, but stopped short of saying "Don't blink" again.

"I don't know him as a person but he's a very exciting guy to watch," said GSP. "I'm happy to fight him. He's going to bring the best out of me, because he's always putting on a good fight, going forward. It's going to be a good fight for me."

vCash

This is actually going to be a very entertaining matchup.

Diaz is superior on the feet IMO, ugly, but he gets the job done, much like a Carl Froch, Giovani Segura type of style.

Then you have the BJJ of Diaz, which should pose a danger, but I still can't imagine him submitting GSP.

Think GSP does some good ground and pound here and grinds out yet another decision through great top control. If GSP tries to push and finish this one, which he should, then Diaz definately has a chance to catch him. But GSP by decision here. Still should be a good ground war.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Welterweight Epitome View Post
    This is actually going to be a very entertaining matchup.

Diaz is superior on the feet IMO, ugly, but he gets the job done, much like a Carl Froch, Giovani Segura type of style.

Then you have the BJJ of Diaz, which should pose a danger, but I still can't imagine him submitting GSP.

Think GSP does some good ground and pound here and grinds out yet another decision through great top control. If GSP tries to push and finish this one, which he should, then Diaz definately has a chance to catch him. But GSP by decision here. Still should be a good ground war.
    Nick has shown to have far more depth with his hands. However i think George can dominate the standup portion. He isn't the better boxer but he can dictate the range, constantly pose the threat of a takedown, and break up Diaz's high volume output with that hard jab. Diaz wont be able to demonstrate his superior striking. I think Diaz fights the only way he knows how. He comes out aggressive and gets put on his back. Once there Gsp uses his heavy hips and superior wrestling and ground control to sit in the guard and grind out a decision. Diaz has a great ground game off his back but i think GSP simply neutralizes it by imposing his strength and working away conservatively in the guard.

vCash

George is more well-rounded and has fought and beaten way better guys. I wouldn't be surprised if he beats Diaz with ease, but I doubt quickly. This may go the distance.

Diaz's stand-up will mean little because GSP will take him down FAST. This will be on the floor all night.

+ Reply to Thread