Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayweather-Ortiz, Sept 17th

vCash

Mayweather-Ortiz, Sept 17th

MAYWEATHER TO FIGHT ORTIZ ON SEPT. 17
    by Michael Rosenthal
    Jun 7th, 2011
    ringtv.com

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will return to the ring against welterweight titleholder Victor Ortiz on Sept. 17, it has been formally announced. Mayweather broke the news on his Twitter account this morning.

The MGM Grand in Las Vegas appears to be the most likely site, according to Arellano. Cowboys Stadium reportedly is another possibility. The terms of the agreement have not been made public.

"I am ready to return to the ring and give my fans a fantastic night of boxing by fighting the best out there and for me, that is Victor Ortiz," Mayweather said in a news release. "He is the current champion and an extremely talented fighter who showed amazing skills and heart in his last performance against Andre Berto. At this stage of my career, these are the challenges I look for, a young, strong, rising star looking to make his mark in boxing by beating me. Like the rest of my opponents, he is going to try to prove that he can beat me.

“I commend him for accepting the fight, but on Sept. 17, Ortiz is just going to be another casualty, the 42nd one who tried and failed. Trust me, I will be ready."

It’s not clear whether Mayweather’s legal problems could impact the fight. Mayweather faces felony domestic violence charges after an incident with the mother of his children, for which his next court date is Oct. 20. He also has been charged in an altercation with a security guard.

Mayweather hasn’t fought since he easily outpointed Shane Mosley in May of last year, meaning he will have been out of the ring for 16 months when he fights Ortiz. And this would be only his third fight since 2007.

Ortiz "did about four back flips" when he heard about Mayweather's Tweet, a friend of the fighter reportedly told the Los Angeles Times.

"I respect Mayweather because he has been a champion for many years and I know he will be ready, but so will I," Ortiz said in the same news release. "I'm a strong fighter and I have worked really hard to silence my critics. I'm a world champion for a reason and I am not going to let go of my title any time soon. This is going to be a great fight, but I will remain a world champion for many years to come."

Mayweather, the former pound-for-pound king, already is being criticized on message boards for agreeing to fight Ortiz instead of rival Manny Pacquiao, with whom he twice failed to come to terms on a megafight.

And, indeed, Ortiz will be a heavy underdog in the fight.

At the same time, Ortiz, who created a sensation by outlasting Andre Berto in a classic brawl to win the WBC belt in April, is a strong and quick-handed young (24 years old) fighter who is no pushover.

One could argue that Ortiz is a more-serious threat to Mayweather than Pacquiao’s last few opponents have been to him.

“I think this proves that Mayweather isn’t afraid of anybody,” said Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, Mayweather’s partner. “Victor can punch. And he’ll come all night long. If he hurts Mayweather, he won’t take his foot off the pedal like Shane Mosley did. He’ll go for the kill.

“And Victor is big. He weighed, what, 161 [in the ring] against Berto? Victor is a big, young powerful fighter.”

One report suggested that Mayweather's plan is to use the Ortiz fight as a stepping stone to a Pacquiao fight next year.

Pacquiao is scheduled to face Juan Manuel Marquez in a third fight on Nov. 12 at the MGM Grand.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Mayweather Ortiz annonced

All this translates to is "I am waiting around for Pac to be sufficiently softened up before I ever think of fighting him."
    He will take Ortiz apart & everyone knows it.
    I hope Ortiz lands a lucky punch & KOs him flat.
    What a fucking joke.

vCash

Re: Mayweather-Ortiz Announced 9/17/11

Maybe, maybe not. Ortiz is a young hungry lion who is southpaw but his most powerful hand is his right, yet he has good power in his left. He isn't a blown up little guy either. He is in great shape and very strong. Mayweather is not a puncher, so there will be nothing to deter Ortiz. This isn't a former featherweight in Marquez nor a shot fighter in Mosley, which is all Floyd has fought in the past three years. We are talking a young, frisky, lively southpaw power puncher who can keep a good pace, who will not be deterred by Mayweather's power, taking on a guy who is past age 30 who has only been fighting less than once per year for the past few years. Not an easy fight for Mayweather. Sure Floyd might win with his superior defense, speed, and experience, but it won't be a walk in the park.

vCash

If Victor can take Floyd's right hand, get up and swarm him, good things may be possible, he is very strong, hungry and I think won't be intimidated, Floyd will have to be on point early, any ring rust could prove costly.

Live doggy....

vCash

floyd is at the age where boxers that rely on speed/reflexes tend to drop off

vCash

Anytime that Mayweather fights an opponent that is given a slight chance to beat him, it always turns into a one sided dismantling

vCash

I don't to hear about Ortiz and back flips. I want to see Floyd fight Pacquiao a/o retire. I have had enough of him and Pacquaio. Take Mosley with them.

Tell me, how in the heck to the two best fighters p4p, fight in the same division for years, on thier way to the Hall, and never, ever, get in the ring together?

If this was the best years of boxing, they would have fought 100 times by now. The type of money on the table, glory, etc.
    Last edited by JLP 6; 06-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

Ortiz is a nice kid with something to prove but even a rusty PBF is waaay out of his league.
    He had a good fight against Berto but he was no world beater by any stretch.
    It's a smart move for PBF but people in the know should know better than to except this crap.
    Sure Ortiz is a young, strong, southpaw but what I don't see how any of that will matter much in this matchup.
    He just doesn't have footwork, speed, experience, style or skill for that matter to give PBF much of a problem.
    The only wild cards in this is PBF's rust & Ortiz having nothing to prove and everything to gain from this.
    That's just not enough to win a fight like this by any other way than a lucky shot.
    All I see happening is that he'll wind up being stifled by PBF's speed and frustrated with his defense like everyone else is.

I'd love to be wrong but I think we've already seen how far Ortiz's talents can go.
    He is in way over his head here but boxing is about striking when the iron is hot & he'll still be on the map after a loss, so I'm sure this will wind up happening.
    Ortiz's value is probably as high as it'll ever get, so it makes sense from that standpoint.
    If PBF stays out of jail until then, he'll get his shot.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity View Post
    Ortiz is a nice kid with something to prove but even a rusty PBF is waaay out of his league.
    He had a good fight against Berto but he was no world beater by any stretch.
    It's a smart move for PBF but people in the know should know better than to except this crap.
    Sure Ortiz is a young, strong, southpaw but what I don't see how any of that will matter much in this matchup.
    He just doesn't have footwork, speed, experience, style or skill for that matter to give PBF much of a problem.
    The only wild cards in this is PBF's rust & Ortiz having nothing to prove and everything to gain from this.
    That's just not enough to win a fight like this by any other way than a lucky shot.
    All I see happening is that he'll wind up being stifled by PBF's speed and frustrated with his defense like everyone else is.

I'd love to be wrong but I think we've already seen how far Ortiz's talents can go.
    He is in way over his head here but boxing is about striking when the iron is hot & he'll still be on the map after a loss, so I'm sure this will wind up happening.
    Ortiz's value is probably as high as it'll ever get, so it makes sense from that standpoint.
    If PBF stays out of jail until then, he'll get his shot.
    I don't know...I sort of love this fight. When was the last time Floyd fought someone bigger than him, who can crack and who MIGHT be faster than him in the ring? Ortiz might not have his ring IQ but he's a decade younger and he's full of P&V off a major league gut check. Floyd deserves credit. He took the absolute best Welterweight available besides Manny. Manny is spending this year fighting guys near 40.

This fight is going to sneak up on people.
    Last edited by Crold1; 06-07-2011 at 07:55 PM.

vCash

Ortiz is definitely not faster than Mayweather, he's not even as fast, in fact he's much slower and his punches much stiffer, this fight will resemble Julio Gonzales vs Roy Jones,

Mayweather was ringside for the Ortiz- Berto fight, he must have seen something or a lot of things that he could capitalize on, we all know that Mayweather never takes a fight that he isn't 100000000% sure he can win

vCash

I think you're underestimating how quick Ortiz is. We'll see. You're out of your gourd if you think the speed difference is Gonzalez-Jones-ish. I think Floyd hate is blocking out what is a brassy choice for some.

Administrator
    vCash

They should pay you to promote this, Cliff.
    I think this big young lion would get schooled by the JMM that walks around today, forget about what PBF would do to him.
    PBF isn't going to lose to someone who just about squeaked by Lamont Peterson less than a year ago.

I was never sold on Berto in the least to begin with but IMO Ortiz won that fight more because Berto took him lightly and was not 100%.
    I'm glad Ortiz won the fight because I would rather see him fight over Berto any day, but I think what we saw that night was Ortiz at 110% and Berto at 75%.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity View Post
    They should pay you to promote this, Cliff.
    I think this big young lion would get schooled by the JMM that walks around today, forget about what PBF would do to him.
    PBF isn't going to lose to someone who just about squeaked by Lamont Peterson less than a year ago.

I was never sold on Berto in the least to begin with but IMO Ortiz won that fight more because Berto took him lightly and was not 100%.
    I'm glad Ortiz won the fight because I would rather see him fight over Berto any day, but I think what we saw that night was Ortiz at 110% and Berto at 75%.
    Marquez ain't beating anybody worthy at Welter IMO (granted, there's only about 2 or 3 real fighters there right now). Floyd might not (probably won't) lose, but he might not lose to anyone 47 or below still. He's Floyd. That said, I discard Peterson. Against Berto, Ortiz went in with his back to the wall and responded. I agree that he may have been 110% but I think you overestimate Berto's ability by a lot (and his chin has always been suspect) if you think that was 75%. That said, Berto is fast and Ortiz beat him to the punch from jump. This is a dangerous fight for Floyd and, outside Manny, the ONLY fight at Welterweight right now. He took it.

This is a real fight.

vCash

So given he now has the urge back, why was there not even the discussion of a fight with Manny? I am glad he's taking on a younger fighter, Ortiz' has only had one welter fight post his 140 lbs career, but a younger hungry guy none the less.

I am happy he's fighting and I'm glad he's taking on a fighter that is more of a risk then pretty much any fighter he's fought since he was at 135, but wow, my inner cynic wonders how cool would it be if JMM beat Pac and Ortiz KO's Mayweather.

Then the whole piss and wind of the last two years would have a punch line.

vCash

Yeah, just reviewed some vids for a piece I'm writing. I got carried away on the speed thing. Mayweather holds that edge. Ortiz has quick enough hands though to make it a fight.

vCash

I'm amazed people forget Ortiz having major issues with Lamont Peterson of all people (Ortiz deserved the W but Peterson gave him problems) and now after beating a flatfooted Berto, who almost tore his head off by the way, he suddenly has a chance vs PBF. This is a mismatch. Ortiz has a puncher's chance and that's it, Floyd is in another league skill-wise and Ortiz has a weak jaw.

vCash

You can hate Floyd all you want. But I have no idea what Ortiz ya'll have been watching. But the one I've seen, has been a decent fighter, who barely got past Peterson, and fought a Berto that was simply never willing to engage, but when he did, landed that overhand right over, and over. He lets his hands go, we aren't even talking about Ortiz ever again.

Ortiz is quick? Seriously? It's like watching the young version of the old Vargas - I don't see it. He is huge, and has heavy hands. He's physical. But none of these things make any difference against Mayweather who has flawless and VERY fast footwork.

Mayweather is going to wreck him. I think it sucks this is the Mayweather fight we have to see, but it is what it is. I can't see Ortiz lasting more then 7 or 8 rounds.
    Last edited by Kurant; 06-08-2011 at 02:06 AM.

vCash

Have we all forgotten Victor's fight against Lamont Peterson? And given Maidana's subsequent performance vs Khan and Morales, that LKO6 looks pretty bad, and a win over Berto? Big deal!

This is an easy pick by Mayweather, what a disgrace, just spit it out & say you're scared shitless of Pacman.

vCash

I think this could be a real tougn test. Ortiz is young, hungry, big, fresh, good hitter, neat boxer, and clever. Add this to the fact that Floyd is past it, and stale. I see this as a very interesting fight, and not a guarantee for Floyd.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Mayweather Picks Ortiz: Showing Us More Than Manny? by Cliff Rold

Mayweather Picks Ortiz: Showing Us More Than Manny?
    By Cliff Rold/Boxing Scene

Lineal World Welterweight Champion Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 KO) still can’t count.

How else to take a statement released in the wake of his announced September return against WBC Welterweight titlist Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KO)? The statement read that Mayweather commended Ortiz “for accepting the fight, but on September 17, Ortiz is just going to be another casualty, the 42nd one who tried and failed. Trust me, I will be ready."

Mayweather and his team have made similar statements in the past. Indeed, Mayweather has 41 wins and, should he win in September, Ortiz will be the 42nd victory. However, in those initial 41, he picked two wins over Jose Luis Castillo. Considering how much trouble Castillo gave him, it makes sense he’d count him twice but he is still only one man.

And, yeah…

…that’s about it.

That’s all there is to criticize in regards to one Floyd Mayweather today.

After a year off and change from the ring, and rumors about all sorts of laughable potential foes from Matthew Hatton to Paul Spadafora swirling throughout, Mayweather’s return comes against the sort of fighter most assumed the 34-year old Floyd wouldn’t face.

Younger.

Bigger.

Southpaw.

Heavier handed, with explosiveness.

Mayweather will be favored. Mayweather will probably win. That’s not a negative. He’s Floyd. That’s what he does. It’s what he’s expected to do against almost anyone.

What matters here is the choice.

Mayweather has reached a stage in his career few ever do. He can pick his spots, just like Ray Leonard and Oscar De La Hoya before him, just like contemporary and rival Manny Pacquiao can in parallel. With that stage comes a certain responsibility. Increased activity is requested. Real fights are required.

Ray Leonard proved the inactivity can be overcome. De La Hoya, as he aged, sort of did the same. Mayweather didn’t advance to mega-stardom until a much later stage of his career than those men so he never quite had the mid-20s run they did. That he takes inordinate breaks between fights since besting Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton in 2007 (including a phony retirement) is unfortunate.

However, in his last two fights, he’s met the burden of the real fights.

Mayweather competes at Welterweight. The best fight at Welterweight for Mayweather is Manny Pacquiao. That it happens to be the biggest fight in the solar system is worth noting.

That fight has, of course, not yet materialized. Some of the blame goes to Mayweather. Some goes to Pacquiao, no matter how much that has been lost in the ether (or should we all forget that the negotiations in the first part of 2010 reportedly fell apart over a reasonable 14-day Olympic style drug testing cutoff that, allegedly, Mayweather agreed to and Team Pacquiao walked away from).

In the absence of Pacquiao and vice versa, the most that can be asked of either man is to fight the perceived next best available man at 147 lbs. For years, Mayweather failed tests like this. His run from 2003-05, including a ridiculous mismatch against Henry Bruseles, got him labeled as more manager than manimal. Fighting Zab Judah and Carlos Baldomir in the wrong order in 2006 didn’t help.

Times change. For his second fight in a row, Floyd Mayweather is facing who he should be in the absence of the fight we can’t have right now. It can be argued that Pacquiao has yet to meet that obligation since making Welterweight his permanent home.

Following his victory over Ricky Hatton for the lineal Jr. Welterweight crown in 2009, Pacquiao looked for a crown in the Welterweight class. Hot off of his defeat of Antonio Margarito in January of the year, “Sugar” Shane Mosley was seen by almost all as the top dog at 147 lbs.

Miguel Cotto, who had narrowly defeated Mosley in 2007, was not too far behind Mosley then in perception, but was showing some wear from a vicious stoppage loss to Margarito in 2008 and a debatable, bloody decision win over Joshua Clottey. Mosley pleaded his case, seemingly ready to acquiesce to multiple quoted catchweight demands suggested by Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach. There was never a serious impression Mosley had a chance.

Partly due to promotional differences with Mosley, and a shared promoter with the alternative, Cotto got the call.

Around the same time Pacquiao-Cotto was coming to fruition, so too was Mayweaather’s ring return against reigning Lightweight Champion Juan Manuel Marquez. Mayweather won in a rout, blowing off an agreed upon catchweight and reigniting the ire he instills in many a fight fan. A couple months later, Pacquiao drubbed Cotto and the path seemed cleared.

The negotiations of late 2010 and early 2011 muddied the hell out of the path. Lawsuits were filed. Allegations of cheating were made and, from Mayweather, remain. Pacquiao signed to fight Clottey, a decent pick. Mosley, who was scheduled to fight Andre Berto in early 2011, became available when the ethnic Haitian Berto withdrew in the wake of the tragic Haitian earthquake.

And Mayweather chose Mosley straight away. Outside of a few anxious moments in round two, Mayweather beat Mosley and snared the right to reclaim the lineal throne he had preciously vacated.

Another long layoff ensued, this time with Mayweather largely painted as the culprit in the failure of a Pacquiao fight to take place. In the vacuum, did Pacquiao sign to fight young, undefeated tigers like Andre Berto or Jr. Welterweight Timothy Bradley?

Nope.

He emulated his rival, going Money Pacquiao for fights with a hopeless Antonio Margarito and then a Mosley who, after the bad beating from Mayweather, looked worse drawing against Sergio Mora later in 2010. Margarito at least made for an entertaining night, and the event wasn’t technically a Welterweight fight at all. Manny weighed in there. Margarito had to meet a catchweight for what was officially a Jr. Middleweight bout (complete with hollow alphabet belt neither had any business fighting for in a division neither had any credentials in).

The Mosley fight was a mediocrity, Mosley unable to pull the trigger and Manny too merciful, agreeing to all Mosley’s handshake’s and glove touches where Mayweather had responded to the same with jarring, impolite shots to the mush a year before.

Now Pacquiao has signed for a third fight with a by then 38-year old Marquez who will have been laid off a year. Marquez has never won a fight at Welterweight, even if he was a great rival to Pacquiao in a previous draw and narrow loss in 2004 and 2008 at 126 and 130 lbs. respectively.

Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, couches these opponent choices in language about what is promotable. Never mind that a great draw can make anyone promotable. De La Hoya once moved units with a ghostly Yori Boy Campas.

Pacquiao cashed in with the anonymous Clottey, selling mad seats at Cowboys Stadium to boot.

Mayweather’s banking he can make Ortiz promotable.

Ortiz’s last trip to the ring helps. Labeled a quitter after a war with Marcos Maidana in 2009, Ortiz slowly rebuilt and then gambled against the undefeated Berto in April of this year. His professional back to the wall, Ortiz and Berto traded knockdowns in a classic. Ortiz dug deep for the win, pushing past old demons and completing his rehabilitation. With the win, he emerged as a new, immediate factor at 147 lbs.

The Welterweight ratings, from ESPN to Ring to right here at this site all read the same way. Based on his win over Berto, Ortiz is the next best man to be found at Welterweight. Just as was case when Mosley became available in 2010, it is Mayweather who has stepped up to face the man in that position.

It cannot be lost.

Manny Pacquiao will have spent his 2011 campaign in the ring with a pair of men pushing forty that, combined, probably lost 23 of 24 rounds.

Mayweather just chose to stare across the ring at a 24-year old stud flush with the confidence of the biggest win of his life.

And, in the fall, only one of the world’s two best Welterweights will be fighting another Welterweight.

Guess who?

Cliff Rold is a member of the Ring Magazine Ratings Advisory Panel, the Yahoo Pound for Pound voting panel, and the Boxing Writers Association of America.

vCash

Re: Mayweather Picks Ortiz: Showing Us More Than Manny? by Cliff Rold

G'day Cliff,

Re: This bit

Manny Pacquiao will have spent his 2011 campaign in the ring with a pair of men pushing forty that, combined, probably lost 23 of 24 rounds.
    Mosley I get this about, JMM lost how many rounds against whom? Do you mean as a welterweight JMM has lost that many rounds in his fight Vs Mayweather?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by doomeddisciple View Post
    G'day Cliff,

Re: This bit

Mosley I get this about, JMM lost how many rounds against whom? Do you mean as a welterweight JMM has lost that many rounds in his fight Vs Mayweather?
    23 of 24 rounds to Floyd. Meant to type that and didn't. To be fixed.

vCash

"It can be argued that Pacquiao has yet to meet that obligation since making Welterweight his permanent home."

Is this a joke? No it can't be. Both Cotto and Clottey are far more accomplished and dangerous fighters than Ortiz, and would knock him out if they fought him. The guy got crushed and quit vs Maidana and now since he was able to get what Luis Collazo should already have (a W over Berto), he's a better opponent than any of Pac's at 147? Completly bogus; even the shot Mosley would have a chance at clocking Ortiz's china chin. People always over-rate the victors of exciting slugfests and Ortiz is the latest in a long line . .

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04 View Post
    "It can be argued that Pacquiao has yet to meet that obligation since making Welterweight his permanent home."

Is this a joke? No it can't be. Both Cotto and Clottey are far more accomplished and dangerous fighters than Ortiz, and would knock him out if they fought him. The guy got crushed and quit vs Maidana and now since he was able to get what Luis Collazo should already have (a W over Berto), he's a better opponent than any of Pac's at 147? Completly bogus; even the shot Mosley would have a chance at clocking Ortiz's china chin. People always over-rate the victors of exciting slugfests and Ortiz is the latest in a long line . .
    Not the point and I didn't say ortiz was better than Cotto or Clottey (though he comes in hotter than either in the moment). The point was that, when he fought them they were not perceptually the best Welterweight besides Mayweather to fight (i.e. after Maragarito, Mosley was considered the Welterweight leader). Right now, in this moment, Ortiz is the next best available welterweight. Mosley was perceived next best when Mayweather fought him in the absence of a Pacquiao fight.

Administrator
    vCash

PBF past it & stale? Because he got tagged with 1 lucky shot from Mosley?
    Do you think a PBF at even 50% would struggle with Peterson & give up against Maidana?
    Cmon.
    I hate the guy but lets be honest, when was the last time he didn't make a fight look easy?
    I don't care about the age or size difference, I think JMM would make Ortiz quit today.
    PBF just about snored his way right through JMM.

vCash

Re: Mayweather-Ortiz Announced - 9/17/11

FLoyd will take ORtiz belt, probably by stoppage, and have negotiating power over Paq,

WKS

vCash

Re: Mayweather-Ortiz Announced - 9/17/11

One small add of interest for Ortiz's end of the teeter-totter (before he takes flight in the preliminary weigh-ins)

he's a lefty.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crold1 View Post
    Not the point and I didn't say ortiz was better than Cotto or Clottey (though he comes in hotter than either in the moment). The point was that, when he fought them they were not perceptually the best Welterweight besides Mayweather to fight (i.e. after Maragarito, Mosley was considered the Welterweight leader). Right now, in this moment, Ortiz is the next best available welterweight. Mosley was perceived next best when Mayweather fought him in the absence of a Pacquiao fight.
    He's only the next best to fight b/c the once deep welter herd has thinned out considerably and all of the rest of the top guys either moved to 154 or above (Williams, Cotto, Maragarito) and/or are considered 'sloppy seconds' b/c Manny beat them up (Clottey, Cotto, Margarito)!!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

10 Good Reasons To Watch Floyd-Ortiz

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...tch-this-fight

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04 View Post
    He's only the next best to fight b/c the once deep welter herd has thinned out considerably and all of the rest of the top guys either moved to 154 or above (Williams, Cotto, Maragarito) and/or are considered 'sloppy seconds' b/c Manny beat them up (Clottey, Cotto, Margarito)!!
    Doesn't explain why Pac's people avoided Mosley off Marg though (who was sloppy seconds before Pac got him) only to have May take him. Pac has fought some good guys.
    May has selected better available Welters.

And that's without noting the four sloppy seconds fits one can attribute to Pac: De La, Hatton, post-Mora Mosley, and now JMM. that argument can run both ways (even if I find the whole Sloppy point specious on both sides, it can).
    Last edited by Crold1; 06-09-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast