Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather-Ortiz, Sept 17th

vCash

Re: Mayweather -Ortiz/ Round By Round

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton View Post
    It is all actually very simple with no room for discussion. No? Let me prove it to you. 1. The intentional foul of butting was wrong and the point deduction or a stern warning is understood explicitly by me as a referee. 2. The apology was genuine by Ortiz. 3. All you have to do to see that Steve Kim of Max boxing was 100% correct in saying Cortez is one of the worst referees is watch the ending in slow motion. 4. You will see Joe with his mouth open wide, staring off into space, having ZERO control of two champion boxers, the Joe looks off to the side a la Joe Walcott in Ali v Liston II or like Joe did in abandoning that boxer on the mat while taking a little walk about leaves fighters unattended to do whatever they want. 5. Legal or otherwise a disgusting cheap shot by Mayweather. 6. Cortez still did not know WTF was going on and was "Shocked, shocked" like Claude Rains in Casablanca to know Gambling was going on in Rick's Cafe,
    Whoa what is this, Ortiz is down, how did that happen? An absolute disgrace of inattentive refereeing. Horrible job.

6. Guess what, Yes I did hear as a fighter and referee about protect yourself at all times, but the referee was NOT THERE. 7. I must say this with reluctance but honesty, I think Frank Baltazar knows what I saw. 7. It made me sick how Ortiz Q.U.I.T. and it made me sick the lack of protest by his corner and in plain street parlance the amount of ass kissing and sucking dick afterward. 8. Anyone strong corner in boxing would have gone berserk with protest, but not the kid who quit on Maidana?

Floyd Mayweather Jr, had no right shit lipping Merchant and I don't blame Larry one bit. Who the fuck is PBF not to answer a legit question about taking a cheap shot like that, hell man it happened so deal with it. Was he right to go after Ortiz, YES, YES AND YES AGAIN, but why not there is no fucking referee in there, just an out of shape political pet who is soooooo long past being sat down, he ruined yet another fight.

Fighters will always butt, strike back, hit me low, I will hit you low, hit on the break, but that is why you need a referee WITHOUT A BIG FAT POT BELLY, 40lbs overweight who cannot move or react. Fair but firm my asshole, he lost control and boxing took it in the balls again with a shit ending.

PS. Hey Victor, while you were busting your balls doing all that sparring and roadwork, where did you get it into your little amateur haid to turn to the referee after you butted a boxer, next time hire a trainer who will show you a Dempsey v Sharkey film. You are a champion? You don't know not to turn your head and keep your hands up at all times. Fucking pathetic ending, pathetic quitting on the floor and pathetic ass kissing afterward, pathetic lack of protest from your corner,
    what a waste of training.

End of story.
    Couldn't agree more. The lack of protest and fucking emotion by Ortiz really got to me. I can't imagine too many fighters responding like that. That being said i can't imagine too many fighters ever being that apologetic and soft subsequent to a foul against a fighter with terrible character like Floyd Mayweather.

vCash

Thanks my kindred spirit boxing brothers, I am trying so damn hard to keep loving boxing, but these pet officials are ruining it. Look at the slow motion ending replay of how Cortez handled it. How many more will they let him RUIN? I bet Mercante Junior is still refereeing too. All boxers do what they both did, you need a BOXING referee to keep control who is in shape, not turning his head and is more interested in the fight than his promotional bullshit saying in mid ring.

Nevada, NJ and NY never learn do they?

vCash

I agree Ron. Truly disgusting lack of fire by Ortiz. Definitely a sucker punch by Floyd, but in my opinion it was not illegal. When I saw Ortiz smiling afterwards, I wanted to strangle him. Love him or hate him, Floyd is at least a fighter. (Annoying, but talented.). I don't even know what Ortiz is, but he definitely does not have the heart or will of a fighter.

That being said, I will now go eat a double serving of crow for actually picking that faggot to win.

vCash

You rock too buddy, just so upset and like Kevin Kline said in a Fish Called Wanda, 'DISAPPOINTED!!!!!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton View Post
    Thanks my kindred spirit boxing brothers, I am trying so damn hard to keep loving boxing, but these pet officials are ruining it. Look at the slow motion ending replay of how Cortez handled it. How many more will they let him RUIN? I bet Mercante Junior is still refereeing too. All boxers do what they both did, you need a BOXING referee to keep control who is in shape, not turning his head and is more interested in the fight than his promotional bullshit saying in mid ring.

Nevada, NJ and NY never learn do they?
    Cortez was absolutely useless, and i know he showed a complete lack of control of the situation in this debacle. Out of curiosity did he break any specific guidelines that absolutely must be adhered to? Or was it general incompetence and lack of control.

Cheers.

vCash

Josesito Lopez - Jessie Vargas. I was not impressed with either fighter, but thought Lopez deserved the victory, or no worse than a draw. But they gave it to Vargas, who showed me no power, lots of touches, lots of movement and clinching.

Morales showed his veteran experience to do what he had to in order to box more effectively and land the sharper, more effective punches. Cano was game and live in there though. They traded off playing aggressor and counterpuncher, but Morales was a tad better at both. Stopped after 10th due to severe cut on Cano and puffy blackened eyes.

Alvarez looked like a Mexican Floyd Mayweather in there with rolling ducking defense, relaxed style, some footwork, and quick sharp punches. Stoppage was just a hair fast, but end result was not going to change. Fight was somewhat competitive because Alvarez only threw in spurts and Gomez was more consistent with the output, but he really could not land solidly and you could almost feel that Alvarez was playing around and toying with him, awaiting his moment to sharpshoot him with something significant. He had the much faster hands. He finally blasted Gomez in the 6th round with a right and right uppercut and Gomez was stunned, and Alvarez got him to the ropes and bombed away with several punches until the ref stopped it. Perhaps ever so slight fast stoppage, but overall no criticism.

Mayweather-Ortiz. 1st round to Mayweather, but it was a close and cautious round by both. May's fast right hand won it for him. 2nd round I had even but my wife gave it to Ortiz. Tactical bout. 3rd round was a clear Mayweather round. Just so darn fast with his hands, lightning reflexes, and beautiful defense. So darn hard to hit him clean. May knows how to land cleanly with those quick sharpshooting single shots that are so damn fast I am amazed that Ortiz eludes any of them. 4th round May was again doing his thing, though Ortiz had his pockets of aggressiveness. Yet, for all his firepower, if you watch close, Ortiz really could not land cleanly and was missing the majority of his shots. I think the kid deep in his heart sensed that Floyd was comfortable and not phased by anything he did, particularly when Floyd smiled at him. The frustration quickly mounted, and the kid who has once before been disqualified, while inside intentionally and flagrantly headbutted May in the mouth. Ref Cortez called time and took a point off. I was in a bar watching it for free, so I could not tell exactly what was being said. But it appeared to me that Cortez blew it. Instead of getting between the fighters and calling time in, or asking Floyd if he was ready to continue, Cortez stepped back and looked away from the fighters, and looked over at a corner and was talking. Completely oblivious to the two men in the ring, Floyd and Ortiz approach one another with Cortez in the background, failing to place himself between them. Ortiz reaches out and hugs May and apologizes. While Cortez is looking at the corner and talking, not paying any attention to the fighters, Ortiz backs away slightly with his hands down. May then nails him with a big hook. Ortiz instead of defending himself looks over at the ref, who isn't even paying attention, and then May landed a big right and knocked him out. Cortez had never called time in. Cortez then proceeds to count Ortiz out.

Bottom line is this was all messed up, but in the end I think the right guy won. May was better. Ortiz's flagrant head butt was horrid. He then got what was coming to him, and the cardinal rule in boxing is protect yourself at all times. But as a technical legal matter, without time-in being called, Mayweather fouled Oritz. But you can't entirely blame May for doing it after what Ortiz did to him, because given that Cortez did not say stop or step between them, and allowed them to approach one another, it is understandable that May thought it was game on. Cortez utterly lost control of the bout and sight of the boxers. At least May won with his fists and not with his head, as Ortiz tried to do.
    Last edited by apollack; 09-18-2011 at 01:19 AM.

vCash

JUAN: Wow. That was utterly classless on Mayweather's part.

My wife, Belle, and I went to a local movie theatre to catch this fight. I knew going in that Mayweather was the prohibitive favorite. However, I was hoping that Ortiz would upend the odds and shut down Mayweather's tired and classless act. And, for a few rounds, it appeared that he might do JUST that.

Sure, he was losing, albeit narrowly, but he was gaining momentum and getting to Mayweather, even perhaps buzzing him a bit. And then, when Mayweather tried to smother his onslaught on the ropes, Ortiz jumped in and headbutted Mayweather.

Dutifully and rightfully so, referee Joe Cortez intervened and deducted one point from Ortiz.

Then, it got bizarre.

Ortiz appologized, hugged, even kissed, and appologized some more to Mayweather. Leaning into him, he hugged him again. Mayweather held his arms out to his side, as if to say, "These things happen. No biggie."

Referee Joe Cortez was staring off into the audience. Suddenly, Mayweather blindsided Ortiz with a left hook to the jaw. Ortiz glanced appealingly at the ref, and ate a straight right. Another sucker punch. He went down hard and was counted out.

Everyone in the theatre was angry with Mayweather. Shouts of, "I want my money back" and "That's bull [expletive]!" rang out as people rose and exited in anger. Like that, Mayweather helped administer another black eye to boxing. For a self-proclaimed all-time great, that was really low and decrepit. Cowardly even.

I stooped to a low and said, "I want someone to really hurt him. I would love for him to step up and fight Sergio Martinez. I think he'd hand Mayweather his head."

Walking out to the car, Belle was clearly upset with Mayweather's cowardly behavior and let me know that she'd like to comment on the fight. Here are her thoughts.

BELLE: It's official. I'm upset. I want to go on Facebook and badmouth that moron.

When I first saw Mayweather in his outfit, I thought he was doing a Halloween thing. I thought he was dressing as Tigger [from Winnie the Poo fame], but when he took off his robe, I figured it out: He was Fred Flintstone. He showed a complete lack of professionalism, and he's a disgrace to the boxing world. If I was a professional boxer, I would refuse to fight this guy. I wouldn't want my name associated with him. I don't know. If I was a boxer, I would want to fight someone I respect; I would want to have respect for myself and only fight professional boxers. In fact, I would urge all boxers to treat him like the clown that he is.

Rules of engagement in the ring? Maybe next time, the ref -- who showed a lack of professionalism also -- may allow this clown in his Fred Flintstone outfit to engage with another fighter with his caveman club. The whole thing was a mockery: I don't know how you call time out in a fight, not start it up again, and Ortiz gets knocked off his feet and gets ruled knocked out without the ref restarting the round.

You know, he walked in with his kids rather proudly, right? But, how could he possibly leave with his kids and still be proud? It's like, wow, don't you want your kids to be proud of you? I would be embarassed. Talk about a legacy, huh?

JUAN: I couldn't agree with my wife more.
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 09-18-2011 at 01:29 AM.

vCash

Re: Mayweather-Ortiz, Sept 17th

Quote Originally Posted by apollack View Post
    Ortiz camp should protest the use of Cortez. He is a Vegas ref and Floyd is from Vegas, not to mention that Cortez is one of the worst "top" refs out there. How he gets these elite assignments is beyond me. On 24-7, when the Ortiz people were criticizing Floyd's use of elbows against Hatton and saying the ref let him get away with it, guess who the ref was? ... Joe Cortez. You don't think Cortez knows that it was the Ortiz camp who criticized him? This is just another set up for a bad smell associated with boxing. Cortez will either have it out for Ortiz or will try to bend over backwards the other way to show he isn't biased, which isn't fair to Mayweather. If he had any honor, he would reject the assignment.
    Just remember what I said three days ago. This isn't rocket science. All you have to do is watch how Cortez performs to know he is not a very good ref. So what does that say about the commission that keeps appointing him to big fights?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PD99 View Post
    Yes, I agree that Ortiz's "front" is perhaps more a desired projection than genuine disposition. Perhaps even a necessary self affirmation also.

Certainly, a "tree stump" is more believable simply being what it is rather than constantly professing itself to be so.
    Well said.

And just as any sane fan thought, the skill difference in this fight was a giant gulf, despite the extremelly odd ending. If this continued, it would have become Mayweather V Gatti 2.

vCash

It is all actually very simple with no room for discussion. No? Let me prove it to you. 1. The intentional foul of butting was wrong and the point deduction or a stern warning is understood explicitly by me as a referee.

2. The apology was genuine by Ortiz.

3. All you have to do to see that Steve Kim of Max boxing was 100% correct in saying Cortez is one of the worst referees is watch the ending in slow motion.

4. You will see Joe with his mouth open wide, staring off into space, having ZERO control of two champion boxers, the Joe looks off to the side a la Joe Walcott in Ali v Liston II or like Joe did in abandoning that boxer on the mat while taking a little walk about leaves fighters unattended to do whatever they want.

5. Legal or otherwise a disgusting cheap shot by Mayweather. 6. Cortez still did not know WTF was going on and was "Shocked, shocked" like Claude Rains in Casablanca to know Gambling was going on in Rick's Cafe,
    Whoa what is this, Ortiz is down, how did that happen? An absolute disgrace of inattentive refereeing. Horrible job.

6. Guess what, Yes I did hear as a fighter and referee about protect yourself at all times, but the referee was NOT THERE. 7. I must say this with reluctance but honesty, I think Frank Baltazar knows what I saw.

7. It made me sick how Ortiz Q.U.I.T. and it made me sick the lack of protest by his corner and in plain street parlance the amount of ass kissing and sucking dick afterward. 8. Anyone strong corner in boxing would have gone berserk with protest, but not the kid who quit on Maidana?

8. Floyd Mayweather Jr, had no right shit lipping Merchant and I don't blame Larry one bit. Who the fuck is PBF not to answer a legit question about taking a cheap shot like that, hell man it happened so deal with it.

9. Was he right to go after Ortiz, YES, YES AND YES AGAIN, but why not there is no fucking referee in there, just an out of shape political pet who is soooooo long past being sat down, he ruined yet another fight.

10. Fighters will always butt, strike back, hit me low, I will hit you low, hit on the break, but that is why you need a referee WITHOUT A BIG FAT POT BELLY, 40lbs overweight who cannot move or react. Fair but firm my asshole, he lost control and boxing took it in the balls again with a shit ending.

11. PS. Hey Victor, while you were busting your balls doing all that sparring and roadwork, where did you get it into your little amateur haid to turn to the referee after you butted a boxer, next time hire a trainer who will show you a Dempsey v Sharkey film.

12. You are a champion? You don't know not to turn your head and keep your hands up at all times. Fucking pathetic ending, pathetic quitting on the floor and pathetic ass kissing afterward, pathetic lack of protest from your corner,
    what a waste of training.

End of story.
    Ron Lipton
    $60 PPV my ass.

vCash

I thought Jessie Vargas lost, but neither man is going to be a star. Was glad to see them out of the ring.

Morales used his favourite overhand right, where he dips that right shoulder beforehand. As apoll said, close fight, and Cano was live throughout, but Morales really busted him up at the end. His face was a mess.

Alvarez looked like he wanted to be a Mexican Mayweather, but he doesn't know how to roll his left shoulder properly, so ate a lot of clean right hands. His counter-punching is top notch though and he definately was a class above his opponent. Stoppage too early for mine. I hope Canelo steps up and we get a fight with Lara or the winner of Cotto V Margarito.

Mayweather put on a clinic against an opponent nowhere near his level. He didn't look to have any rust and his skill and timing were still there, not depleted by father time given it is not speed that gets the job done for Mayweather despite what the typical journalist likes to scribe. This was on the way to becoming Gatti V Mayweather 2, but for the bizzare ending. Ortiz had a horrid gameplan and was obviously frustrated that he couldn't land on Mayweather cleanly. I was impressed with Mayweather, he did exactly what he said he would, he came forward and planted down on his punches more than normal. Perhaps his legs are getting older and more tired, but he can fight in the pocket as good as anyone I've ever seen. I thought Mayweathers shot at the end was ok, but showed his complete lack of sportsmanship. In the end though, one of, it not the greatest counter-puncher I've ever witnessed showed he is in another league to most of these hyped kids like Ortiz. What gets me more is how anybody picked Ortiz. Great display of skill, but the ending killed my buzz.

vCash

Yeh, Ortiz smiling at the end there, pretending he was happy, reminded me of a 'gracious' Oscar in defeat. He would have gone to his change room and probably swore his a## off, probably cried and his heart would have swollen with anger and disappointment. WTF smile and be polite to a camera for then?

As for Mayweather "V" Merchant, I can see Floyds point. It is not just the Q this time, Merchant is great as far as asking the hard questions, but he is one of the most bias commentators I have ever heard. He has his 'pets' and also has fighters he just does not like, both Oscar and Floyd are two of these and always cop sh*t from Merchant in their interviews and on air. Floyd had every right to blow up at him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Welterweight Epitome View Post
    I thought Jessie Vargas lost, but neither man is going to be a star. Was glad to see them out of the ring.

Morales used his favourite overhand right, where he dips that right shoulder beforehand. As apoll said, close fight, and Cano was live throughout, but Morales really busted him up at the end. His face was a mess.

Alvarez looked like he wanted to be a Mexican Mayweather, but he doesn't know how to roll his left shoulder properly, so ate a lot of clean right hands. His counter-punching is top notch though and he definately was a class above his opponent. Stoppage too early for mine. I hope Canelo steps up and we get a fight with Lara or the winner of Cotto V Margarito.

Mayweather put on a clinic against an opponent nowhere near his level. He didn't look to have any rust and his skill and timing were still there, not depleted by father time given it is not speed that gets the job done for Mayweather despite what the typical journalist likes to scribe. This was on the way to becoming Gatti V Mayweather 2, but for the bizzare ending. Ortiz had a horrid gameplan and was obviously frustrated that he couldn't land on Mayweather cleanly. I was impressed with Mayweather, he did exactly what he said he would, he came forward and planted down on his punches more than normal. Perhaps his legs are getting older and more tired, but he can fight in the pocket as good as anyone I've ever seen. I thought Mayweathers shot at the end was ok, but showed his complete lack of sportsmanship. In the end though, one of, it not the greatest counter-puncher I've ever witnessed showed he is in another league to most of these hyped kids like Ortiz. What gets me more is how anybody picked Ortiz. Great display of skill, but the ending killed my buzz.
    I agree. There have been a number of people that thought Ortiz was doing well. I personally did not. He did absolutely everything i feared he would. He was hesistant to move forward, tentatively stood infront of Floyd and tried to land shots, and ocassionally when he did move forward he tended to headhunt. The writing was on the wall from the get go IMO. He may have got countered all night coming forward with intensity, but he would find far more success doing that than surrendering the center of the ring as he did.

vCash

Exactly JaKob. I'm not sure if it was in the 4th or the 3rd round, but that point where he covered up in the middle of the ring, no footwork, no head movement, no counter-punching and just ate all Mayweather could deliver, was eerily reminiscent of what Gatti did after he too realised he was outgunned by a master counter-puncher. Guys just freeze up and lose their mind, it demoralizes them and Ortiz with his weak mind, folded there and then. He was probably smiling afterwards becuase he knew the cheap shot saved him from a few more rounds of brutality only to incurr the same ending.

vCash

I picked Mayeather to win but I admit that I thought Ortiz would give him a long night. I figured 5 five fights in 5 years at 34 against a young hungry fighter might add up to a great night of boxing. WRONG!

Mayweather I think has lost a step but he totally outclassed Ortiz. Ortiz was hesitant and was even being walked down by Mayweather. It is obvious that Ortiz isnt a fighter at heart. The writing was on the wall and Ortiz was going to get his head handed to him. Mayweather was landing that right hand at will and was starting to catch Ortiz with the left hook coming in. Ortiz had his moments but never truely caught Mayweather cleanly.

As for the end of the fight, another black eye for boxing. Ortiz head butts Mayweather and Cortez takes a point off which is fair. What I didnt see was Cortez calling time in and Mayeather clocks an apologetic Ortiz. In my mind this should be a DQ. Cortez has no clue what is going on as he is still communicating with a judge and when he sees Ortiz on the canvas he simply counts him out. Ortiz is a bum and shouldnt be aloud to work a fight ever again.

Ortiz didnt seem fazed by the way the fight ended which shocked me. I expected Danny Garcia to rush Cortez and give him an ear full yet I saw nothing. Ortiz accepted the defeat and was a total bitch in the post fight interview.

Mayweather is a total piece of shit. I think he is a magician in the ring but he is a total thug. The cheap shot was bad enough but the way he spoke to Merchant when asked a legitamate question was disgraceful. I give thumbs up to Merchant for the way he handled it. Mayweather has been disrespectful to Merchant in the past but he went way over the line this time.

Boxing is dead guys. I am simply waiting for someone to turn off the lights. People actually paid pay-per-view dollars to watch a thug beat up on quiter in a boxing match which featured an incompetant ref which lead to a childish reaction by the winner of the match during an interview.

Boxing seems to reach new lows even when we think we are at rock bottom.
    Last edited by Kid Dynamite; 09-18-2011 at 09:51 AM.

vCash

vCash

yes the ko was tecnically legal, but totally unsportsmanlike. I have a question. Why in the hell do people show mayweather so much dammm respect. Outside of hatton and judah everyone has. This fight if ortiz trainers were legit was up the air for anyone to win. He should never stay in the center of the ring. Mayweather looked totally shot to me. He could not fight him off. Yes he landed jabs and telegraphed right crosses. Whe Ortiz made up his mind toe apply pressure Mayweather simply coudl do nothing. Why would not his corner yell that is all yoiu need to.

This maywether gets destroyed by the last pacman i saw. Yes he landed powerpuff lionel richiie right hands.. But Ortiz was never a great boxer. The key was how would mayweather do in the exchanges et. And I thought he looked very vulnerable.

Had ortiz stopped showing Maywether respect, coming out first, hugging him after a head but, then agian before he got dropped we may have had a diffent ending. I totally thought ortiz was doing ok.

vCash

agree 100Nd .....

vCash

Can that fight be demanded a Re-Fight by the board, and soon rather than being wrapped up in legal BS?

vCash

I haven't seen the whole fight as yet but from what I have seen it did appear that Ortiz was doing okay until the KO.

Even if Ortiz didn't land totally clean, Victor did appear to shake up and unsettle Mayweather a bit and yes, Mayweather does now appear that much more gettable. Ortiz isn't the boxer that Mayweather is and the type of pressure fighting that did see Ortiz find success was called for far more than Victor was willing to apply.

As to the KO. Man, I hate to say it and I may be wrong but it does appear that Cortez did wave them back into fight and I think I can hear Cortez say "Let's go". After that, Cortez does appear to be having some issue communicating same to the time keeper and simply isn't watching the ensuing action. With the action already waved back on, it was Ortiz' choice to embrace Mayweather yet again and watching carefully, you can see Mayweather's hands are already in readied position to box on as Ortiz embraces him - as soon Ortiz let's go, Floyd immediately lets the left go and then the right.

Every slo mo replay thereafter picks up the action as at Ortiz's embrace, omitting the vision of Cortez having apparently waved the action back on just prior to. Technically, "game back on" but Victor just had to have another hug completely of his own volition. Unsportsmanlike or not, it appears that Mayweather took full legal advantage. Tree stump my arse.

vCash

Oh God. So Morales becomes the first Mexican in history to win a world title in four weight classes despite the fact he beat up a late sub? And the WBC OKd this? And now Morales can deliver that belt directly to Amir Khan? Ah, I love it when a plan comes together.

Canelo the star is given a nice early stoppage to gloss up his recent record.

Ortiz takes two shots and rolls around on the floor, looking a lot like a quit job. I don't ever want to see this fucking clown ever again on TV. Mayweather, fight Pac Man, not Larry Merchant.

vCash

Not a bad PPV at all. All were good fights.

As for Mayweather vs Ortiz, Mayweather was fine, he did everything correct. The referee says to box, Ortiz goes for the third apology (where is the fighting spirit with all this apologising?), they touch gloves, Ortiz puts his hands down in front of his opponent (???) and then Mayweather knocks him out.

Ortiz is a guy who looks great in training and in giving these 24/7 interviews but in the ring, the guts is simply not there.

Larry Merchant was picking on Floyd again so Mayweather told him off.

Bring Pacman on!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
    Not a bad PPV at all. All were good fights.

As for Mayweather vs Ortiz, Mayweather was fine, he did everything correct. The referee says to box, Ortiz goes for the third apology (where is the fighting spirit with all this apologising?), they touch gloves, Ortiz puts his hands down in front of his opponent (???) and then Mayweather knocks him out.

Ortiz is a guy who looks great in training and in giving these 24/7 interviews but in the ring, the guts is simply not there.

Larry Merchant was picking on Floyd again so Mayweather told him off.

Bring Pacman on!
    Personally i really think Larry absolutely had to address the issue. It was real controversy and he asked questions accordingly. Mayweather showed a lack of class and professionalism and so did Larry with his silly retort. Floyd is no victim IMO. It was just plain gross.
    Last edited by JaKob; 09-18-2011 at 06:40 AM.

vCash

The whole fight!

vCash

The winner today was Larry.

vCash

I'm sorry, I'd try to remove it, it wasn't the whole fight.

Banned
    vCash

First of all, Floyd cracks me up, I don't know why, he just does. Who cares what he wears into the ring, no offense Juan. Its entertainment, its a show.
    Floyd did nothing wrong. You're in there to win the fight. I'm sure he heard cortez say box or he wouldn't have thrown a punch. Floyd knows exactly what he's doing in the ring. Its Ortiz who should be ashamed with the blatent head butt. Also, his smiling up from the canvas, not protesting the ending. They have photos of him later on in the club, smiling ear to ear , posing with fans. Ortiz's corner, no objections, no outrage.
    Floyd heard 'box", saw an opening, hurt ortiz, then finished him off.
    Ortiz's camp was saying how dirty floyd was. Yet its ortiz with a leaping headbutt?!! clearly floyd was pissed, a cut from a headbutt could jeapardize the match or his career. When he saw a chance to end the fight, he took it. Can't fault him for that.
    I also think the chances he takes on pacman are better now. He has no other choice, opponent wise, career wise, money wise, and image wise.

Banned
    vCash

Thank You Theo for posting the video.
    The announcing was horrible. "stepped on his foot"? what was kellerman talking about? Plus he was screaming like a wrestling announcer. Lampley says he heard cortez say continue.

vCash

BANG! BANG! BANG!

There.....one more nail in boxing's coffin.

Cortez needs to be assigned to amateur cards.

Mayweather needs his head examined, because his sociopathic tendencies are starting to take over his personality.

Ortiz needs never, EVER to glove up again.

Merchant, spunky oldster that he is, needs to hand the mic over to ass-kisser par excellence, Max Kellerman, before somebody takes a swing at him.

Glad I missed the $65 debacle, though the under sounded interesting enough.

Regards,

Kyoodle

PS: NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY COMMISSIONS: GIVE RON LIPTON BACK HIS REF'S LICENSE!!!!!!!!

vCash

I guess I don't see what everyone else saw; what a surprise. Watching Theo's post of the entire 4th round and then the post-fight, I don't see Ortiz as any "bitch" or coward, or lacking fighting heart one bit. I saw a guy who was all over Mayweather for most of the 4th round (landing few effective blows, however), then circling away-- call it running (for only a brief few seconds)-- then back to chasing and punching Floyd.

As the least fan of Floyd here, I don't see any flagrant foul by Floyd at all. All he did, after Ortiz's intentional headbutt, was stand there for Ortiz's apologetic gestures (oddly a hug and kiss) once, then, several seconds later, a second time when Ortiz touched his left glove to Floyd's left glove (who acknowledged him again), THEN Oriz did it a 3rd time at ring center after the ref told them to fight ("Go") . . . and Floyd did touch gloves again, but in my view he just wanted to finally fight after a lengthy delay.

Referee Cortez definitely said something like "Go" (but why in the pros is there no standard instruction such as "Box" as in the amateurs?) and waved them together to fight (at which point Ref Cortez was inexplicably looking away, seemingly toward the timekeeper perhaps?) and Ortiz walked in listlessly, touched gloves AGAIN and otherwise lowered his gloves and looked to hug, AGAIN, and Floyd-- having heard "Go" well before-- still touched gloves but then proceeded to fight. Instead of the typical stepping back after glove-touching. I don't think he "cold-cocked" him at all; instead, Ortiz's insistence on the hugging and glove-touching a 3rd time, when he darned well should have been proceeding to fight, is why he got nailed. Ortiz seemed in a self-imposed daze from the moment he butted Floyd right up to the point he and Floyd were told "Go." Possibly because he was embarrassed at his intentional, obvious headbutt on worldwide TV, hence the grand, very overdone, and repeated, gestures of apology.

Ortiz had a weird need to hug after fouling--why??-- since glove-touching, ONCE, is the usual practice. This dropping one's hands, acting like there's now a "time-out", and walking in hugging & kissing was something I've never seen in the ring, and the act of going to hug, itself, lowers one's hands and exposes him to punches. That's why Ortiz was unprotected WELL AFTER he should have FINALLY had his gloves up. His fault-- not Floyd's, not Joe Cortez's.

Having said that, just witnessing the 4th round I see nothing to cause anyone to call Ortiz a bitch, a coward, has no heart, etc. A weird boxer for the hugging/kissing? Yes! But he was fighting harder than several other Mayweather opponents.

It also seemed obvious that Larry Merchant's final comment to Floyd was no threat nor meant in a bad way; Merchant seemed to have a big smile on his face when he said he'd kick Floyd's butt . . . a smile that remained as he turned to interview Ortiz. That he used those words, even as a joke, seemed out of place, but maybe was his only way of handling being brutally, in-your-face insulted by Floyd several times, eyeball to eyeball, and not ever expecting such a thing. Thus not knowing how best to respond.

Joe Cortez? A bad ref usually, looked in a daze at the crucial moment of "time-in" as did Ortiz, made missteps for sure. But, HE is supposed to be to blame for the KO? No way. Ortiz should have had his hands up to protect himself before then. Instead of acting, for the third time, as if he, alone, could declare complete "time-outs" wherein he could continually drop his hands and embrace his opponent.

By the way, what if Ortiz, already with a flagrant headbutt to his discredit, had walked into Mayweather as if to hug and then cold-cocked Mayweather? I ask this because, after X number of these hugs, Floyd has got to be expected to put his own hands up to protect himself.

Never thought I'd ever speak on PBF's behalf.
    Last edited by Michael Frank; 09-18-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Closed Thread