Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michael Nunn vs Joe Calzaghe

vCash

Michael Nunn vs Joe Calzaghe

Could the best Nunn beat the Calzaghe at 168. I really don't know. I know you guy know your boxing. I have a hard time rating both. Who wins this battle of Super MW champions.

vCash

Re: Michael Nunn vs Joe Calzaghe

I'll take what I'm sure to be the minority opinion and call Calzaghe by decision in this one, with a knockdown thrown in. Just a better all-around fighter, and better suited at 168 to boot.

vCash

Nunn ud12. Calzaghe's face first crowding style that made things so close & tough vs Hopkins would have him walking into counters all night vs a fresh, nimble Nunn, and he doesn't posses the big whack to turn things around.

Calzaghe fought Kessler and an old Hopkins, Nunn fought Frank Tate, Juan Roldan, Sumbu Kalambay, Marlong Starling, Iran Barkley, James Toney, Merqui Sosa and Liles. Nunn is superior.

vCash

Fan of Nunn at midde, and when on form he was a lovely boxer, with size, speed, skill and good power. Cal is a winner, made to win. Don't like his style all that much, but his engine, footwork, speed and tactics are special. Good enough chin I feel to take Nunn's shots. I reckon Cal wears Nunn down and eeks out a close win here. Taking the final 3-4 rds to snatch a victory.

BTW, anyone see Cal having issues with Starling? Kalambay? He beats these guys too, so why bring them up? It's Cal vs. Nunn. Barkley gets a Lacy kinda' beating at 168 lbs vs. Calzaghe...

I never really understand when someone brings up level of opposition, particularly when it is clear that BOTH men would beat the opposition mentioned.
    Last edited by walshb; 06-09-2011 at 08:16 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb View Post
    Fan of Nunn at midde, and when on form he was a lovely boxer, with size, speed, skill and good power. Cal is a winner, made to win. Don't like his style all that much, but his engine, footwork, speed and tactics are special. Good enough chin I feel to take Nunn's shots. I reckon Cal wears Nunn down and eeks out a close win here. Taking the final 3-4 rds to snatch a victory.

BTW, anyone see Cal having issues with Starling? Kalambay? He beats these guys too, so why bring them up? It's Cal vs. Nunn. Barkley gets a Lacy kinda' beating at 168 lbs vs. Calzaghe...

I never really understand when someone brings up level of opposition, particularly when it is clear that BOTH men would beat the opposition mentioned.
    And his best comp was at 160, where he enjoyed big advantages due to his size and reach. He didn't and wouldn't have those advantages at 168 (where he lost to the top fighters he faced, Liles and Little) Calzaghe was a big super middle and he'd have a big, skilled, fast guy in his face for 12 rounds.

Nunn also has a record that looks slightly better on paper than reality . .Roldan and Curry were past it by the time he got them, the Starling fight was awful and probably should've been a draw if anything. The Kalambay victory was a shocker and a great W, but no-one can convince me that was a little flukish.

vCash

Who did Calzaghe beat that makes him a lock to overcome a tough, skilled, fast southpaw with power? Who?

Mikkel Kessler? Come on.

The competition is important to mention because it shows Nunn boxed a string of world class guys in their prime. Calzaghe beat Kessler. What would Calzaghe's record look like had he fought a string of world class guys in their prime? 46-0? His record isn't even a genuine 46-0 when you factor in the loss to Robin Reid (never rematched) and the debatable loss to Hopkins.

PS anyone who puts Iran Barkley in the same category as JEFF LACY deserves to be banned from a boxing message board.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right View Post
    Who did Calzaghe beat that makes him a lock to overcome a tough, skilled, fast southpaw with power? Who?

PS anyone who puts Iran Barkley in the same category as JEFF LACY deserves to be banned from a boxing message board.
    I said Barkley gets a similar beat down. Style wise Joe is all wrong for Barkley. Barkley has one hope, a KO shot. He doesn't get it, he gets thouroughly out boxed.

Barkley beats Lacy comfortably. He is far better, but still, he has little hope in against Joe at 168 lbs.

Starling? You mentioned him, a past it blown up welter facing Nunn? Bans? Yes, for that one indeed!

Cal meets Starling; it would be ugly.

vCash

Mikkel Kessler? Come on.

The competition is important to mention because it shows Nunn boxed a string of world class guys in their prime. Calzaghe beat Kessler. What would Calzaghe's record look like had he fought a string of world class guys in their prime? 46-0? His record isn't even a genuine 46-0 when you factor in the loss to Robin Reid (never rematched) and the debatable loss to Hopkins.

It's easy to forget now b/c the Calzaghe beating ruined him, but Lacy before that fight was more skilled than Barkely ever was and I wouldn't put them in different classes at all. Iran was more durable and better power but really, if anyone thinks Calzaghe doesn't embarass Barkely at his best, those rose-tinted glasses are getting foggy and one might need a new prescription.

Nunn was not a power hitter by any means, hence why the Kalambay victory was seen as so bizarre. Calzaghe is not going to worry about his power, and Calzaghe will be getting inside those long arms at the times that Nunn let his technique get sloppy (which was in every fight I've seen him in).

Both the Reid and Hopkins fighs were very close, to talk about them like they were clear robberies is ridiculous (and the wide majority of people had him beating Bernard). The issue to debate isn't whether Joe would've had such a glimmering record in tougher eras (duh . . of course he wouldn't have) but that aside, I do think he has enough to beat Nunn at 168.

vCash

OHR, I remember suggesting that Cal could be a good competitive fight with Hagler
    at 168 lbs and you reacted as if it was a farce, saying Cal would have no hope.
    A little anti Calzaghe are we?

vCash

I remember suggesting that Cal could be a good competitive fight with Hagler
    at 168 lbs and you reacted as if it was a farce, >>>>>

that is a farce, IMO of course.

his biggest win was kessler and a close fight w a old hopkins

vCash

Walsh, believe it or not I have spent a day with Cazlaghe, chatted about his career and I even have a picture of me and him in a face off holding our fists up! I actually liked the guy, and I think he was very good, and a winner, but people from our side of the world grossly overrate him. Those 10 years of WBOllocks fights in Wales were pathetic, Lacy couldn't fight and he only has the Kessler fight to cling to as evidence he could beat a fresh dangerous fighter.

Casual boxing fans don't comprehend how artificial his record is and this genuinely sickens me. There's nothing he ever did to suggest he could overcome true greats, especially men like Hagler. Imagine if Shane Mosley had taken Joe's path, he'd be 60-0 by now.

But I promise I don't use a personal dislike of fighters to judge how well they'd do in fantasy fights, especially with Joe who I really liked!

vCash

Walsh, believe it or not I have spent a day with Cazlaghe, chatted about his career and I even have a picture of me and him in a face off holding our fists up! I actually liked the guy, and I think he was very good, and a winner, but people from our side of the world grossly overrate him. Those 10 years of WBOllocks fights in Wales were pathetic, Lacy couldn't fight and he only has the Kessler fight to cling to as evidence he could beat a fresh dangerous fighter.

Casual boxing fans don't comprehend how artificial his record is and this genuinely sickens me. There's nothing he ever did to suggest he could overcome true greats, especially men like Hagler. Imagine if Shane Mosley had taken Joe's path, he'd be 60-0 by now.

But I promise I don't use a personal dislike of fighters to judge how well they'd do in fantasy fights, especially with Joe who I really liked!

Yes, but Nunn is not, IMO, a 'true great', just a very good fighter in his era who posted together a great streak of Ws at 160 before getting chopped down by Toney. Than did well at 168 but lost to the best he faced there . . I mean Merqui Sosa was a tough SOB but he wasn't exactly Mr. Slick in the ring now was he . .

vCash

Okay, I've been waiting to see what you guys think. Now let me have my 2 cents. Joe Calzaghe is one of the very few fighters to change tactics in the middle of a fight. If something is not working he'll adapt to the guy he's fighting. PBF can also do that. Nunn was a good fighter but, Joe will find a way to win. Here's the part that gets me. Hopkins was a over the hill fighter. Really? was he over the hill when he kicked everybody ass after and before the Calzaghe fight? Joe UD12.

vCash

Who's he been beating up since? Come forward power guys with zero skills. Hopkins with his genius & fitness will be able to mess around the likes of Pavlik and Pascal til he's 60. Beating the corpse of Roy Jones was no great result, although it was worrying to see Calzaghe face down on the floor against him. Maybe it was just the fright of seeing a dead body coming at him.

Hopkins was a nice win, but a very old man. Kessler was a nice win. Outside of that Calzaghe beat a string of never beens and the odd has been once every few years. You can't dismiss a man the quality of Nunn against such a soft matched opponent.

vCash

Who's he been beating up since? Come forward power guys with zero skills. Hopkins with his genius & fitness will be able to mess around the likes of Pavlik and Pascal til he's 60. Beating the corpse of Roy Jones was no great result, although it was worrying to see Calzaghe face down on the floor against him. Maybe it was just the fright of seeing a dead body coming at him.

Hopkins was a nice win, but a very old man. Kessler was a nice win. Outside of that Calzaghe beat a string of never beens and the odd has been once every few years. You can't dismiss a man the quality of Nunn against such a soft matched opponent.

vCash

calzaghe would be all over nunn from start to finish but it would be close i pick calzaghe on pts

vCash

I think Nunn is a historically underrated fighter. He's my pick of all the moderns to have the easiest time in beating Monzon, a man I'm on record as saying was overrated. ESPECIALLY considering Monzon's opponent list. Nunn had the build, the speed, the brains, and the perfect style for beating Carlos. Even his southpaw stance would help him.

However, I think Calzaghe's work rate and ability to change tactics would indeed see him to a victory over Nunn, likely by decision. Again, the right style.

vCash

Spot on, MF. Looking back over the posts here I am amazed at the criticism Joe received. I rate Nunn highly at middle. Excellent boxer with skills and size. He would have been a match for any middle. I can't see how either Nunn or Joe win this easy. How anyone can say this puzzles me. Joe for me in a real close fight.

vCash

I also believe Nunn matches up well vs. Monzon. If you want to beat Nunn you better be very aggressive, have heavy hands and go get him. Monzon was a wee bit too patient, cautious and slow to beat Nunn. Monzon would also not enjoy physical advantages. A rampaging or aggressively minded Hagler would be hell for him. But, a patient guy who thinks he''ll slowly grind down or outpoint Nunn will be sorely mistaken.

Simple: You try to box with Nunn and you liklely lose. Hagler tries this and he too loses.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb View Post
    I also believe Nunn matches up well vs. Monzon. If you want to beat Nunn you better be very aggressive, have heavy hands and go get him. Monzon was a wee bit too patient, cautious and slow to beat Nunn. Monzon would also not enjoy physical advantages. A rampaging or aggressively minded Hagler would be hell for him. But, a patient guy who thinks he''ll slowly grind down or outpoint Nunn will be sorely mistaken.

Simple: You try to box with Nunn and you liklely lose. Hagler tries this and he too loses.
    Walshb, I agree completely with both of your most recent posts. And esp. with your last sentence-- the Hagler who came out ultra-aggressively vs. Hearns KOs Nunn; but the Hagler who came to fight Leonard loses big by decision to Nunn.

I'd add that Hearns would beat Nunn by brutal KO--Tommy is the better overall fighter, just as tall but faster and far more lethal a puncher, very aggressive (not something Nunn will like to deal with or be able to deal with), and Nunn's chin and resiliency not up to this task (unlike Barkley or Hagler). Tommy is also one who could box with Nunn and win.

vCash

Hearns-Nunn would be great. I agree, Hearns probably wins, and has the skill to win on points as well. But, Nunn could wallop a bit too; what if he lands clean? Hearns to me is always dicey above WW and JMW. As much as I like Hearns I feel guys like McCallum and Toney and Eubank and McClellan would pose serious issues for him. Strong guys with chins/skills and with enough power to turn the fight.
    Last edited by walshb; 11-29-2012 at 12:40 PM.

vCash

calzaghe is a human windmill i see him all over nunn from the first round to the last round and calzaghe winning on pts

+ Reply to Thread