Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonnen allowed to apply for a licence

vCash

Sonnen allowed to apply for a licence

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...ly-for-license

With all the smack talk about Brazillians he's been talking of late, I look forward to him tapping in a triangle at a UFC in the near future.

vCash

Re: Sonnen allowed to apply for a licence

He's certainly going to make things interesting. Such a long layoff. I wonder if he will still be a factor.

vCash

Well, it depends if the UFC wants to keep him. If they just want him to fill a slot temporarily they'll match him tough and try and get him out of there. But Dana has spoken out rather passionately in his defense so they may give him someone eminently beatable.

vCash

I don't like Sonnen, least of all his politics, but he was caught juicing and now he's just persona non grata? He sure brought some life to the promotion of his fight with Silva, and looked to have backed it up fully with a victory in his pocket until the last 1:30 or so of the 5th round.

I hope ALL the rest of them are clean. But it seems hard to believe they all would be.

And I'm a big fan of MMA, the UFC in particular, and the fighters. But I just don't know.

vCash

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/7/7/226...lianenko-sucks

Interview w sonnen. He sure can talk and spin BS w truth. it really is an art-form.

vCash

My Lord! Chael certainly knows how to market himelf. I wonder if he actually takes himself seriously, or if it's a gimmick.

He makes a great heel and brings controversy with every thing he says. Some people like Coture and White only have praise for him, but others obviously hate the guy. I wonder what the real Chael is like. Probabaly a douchebag.

I woder what kind of shit he is going to try to sling at a classy guy like Brian Stann. It was interesting to hear what he had to say about GSP; only kind words.

vCash

Amazing interview.

vCash

His writers must not be getting paid, because the material's getting stale.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman_Tony View Post
    His writers must not be getting paid, because the material's getting stale.
    Randy Macho Man Savage went 20+ years on "OH Yeaaaahhhhh!"

If Chael keeps winning, he's only going to keep things interesting. He's the perfect heel.

vCash

You liked Macho Man Savage? You found him interesting? Okay. I did not. I guess I'm sick of Chad. He's not just playing a heel, he is one.

vCash

Well, I liked him when I was 12. Kinda outgrew the whole wrestling thing when I hit highschool.

vCash

Then you using Savage as an example of the longevity of a heel's appeal was a false analogy?

I just watched Erislandy Lara get robbed blind against Paul Williams--it reminds me why I started watching MMA and how pissed off I am that now these judges are degrading the sport. Too pissed to talk.

vCash

My analogy is that simple gimmicks can, and will work over and over. I could easily have used Hulk Hogan. He said the same crap day in and day out and people bought into it. Sonnen talks shit about Brazillians and people buy into it. He's never short of words and brings life to the sport.

I gotta be honest. I get a kick out of some of the things he says. Like when he talked bout how Silva wrapped his legs around him in their fight. He's an outrageous guy. And he comes across as a real dick. Obviously, you are sick and tired of him, but I'd wager that there is a significant proportion of MMA fans who will never tire of Chael.

vCash

OTR you got that right. On major MMA forums, it seems Chael is the most talked about fighter there! That interview was pretty funny, now I just want to see the next time Wandy confronts him!

vCash

There are a lot of people who like Cheez Whiz, but that doesn't mean it's good for you. Anything that keeps MMA distinct from the sewer that is boxing, I'm for--boxing is chockfull of these snarky, quasi-witty, racist displays, and I'm up to here with them. I've never been a fan of political correctness, but this shit is just poor. Of course this asshole is playing to the groundlings--they're his natural audience. Hehe Brazillans think a bus is a big donkey he he. I admit to a personal bias, but...Jesus. One of the things that attracted me to MMA was the fact that opponents treated one another with respect, class even. Sonnen degrades the sport with his lame wit. If you accept even as a joke the notion that Sylva wrapping his legs around Sonnen's neck impugns his manhood, then what's that say about Sonnen's sexual orientation. It's not even effective humor--it's stupid teenage bs. You can be witty without stooping to racism and calling a guy a faggot. It's no different than the stuff Mayweather spews and gets hated on for. One can only speculate why Sonnen gets a pass. Could it be because...Nah.

I'm done with this. Sonnen will be around until the next time he blows a big fight, which will be his next big fight. Then he'll be gone.

vCash

Sonnen hasn't escaped a triangle from South America since he caught a plane out of the Bahama's laundering his ill gotten real estate money.

With Sonnen, I just love that the talk is backed up by him usually loosing the big fight - The empty vesell makes the most noise and if he wants to hang himself, then I'm all for laughing at him.

vCash

Very clever Dooms!!!

vCash

Come on Dogman. You gotta admit Jujitsu is a little gay!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]http://images.ebaumsworld.com/2007/09/4drhl4jzv3.jpg[/ATTACH]

Doomed, you hit the nail right on the head! His weakness is submissions.

I'll give Sonnen credit in that he's willing to fight anyone. What make me interested in him is despite the shit he says, why do guys like White and Coture (and a lot of others) have so many good things to say about him? He's a real puzzle to me. And obviously others

I don't know how he's going to try and hype this next fight and I am certainly rooting for Stan. I also think Sonnen is too much of a redneck patriot type to go try and get dirty with Stann. But you never know.
    Last edited by Off The River; 07-11-2011 at 05:30 AM.

vCash

Sonnen is a Republican politician, there's a lot of patriotism in his words and I just can't see him going his full heel turn on this campaign, but hey, it's Chael Sonnen.

vCash

Let's not confuse patriotism with jingoism. Maybe Chael is guilty of the latter.

vCash

With all due respect to the CBZ brotherhood, as an Aussie, it's pretty hard for me to distinguish between the two at times from you crazy yanks.

vCash

Too bad you couldn't distinguish Yanks from Canucks.
    Effin Kiwi!

vCash

Ha ha - I more meant Sonnen and the rest of the CBZers ya Moose humpin' turkey!

I LOVE Canadians - Rush, Voi Vod, Trailer Park Boys, super hot ladies, GSP! 10-8 (brother Bill and yourself!) What's not to love!?!

Besides, Kiwi's generally moved their voluntarily, I'm pretty sure I'm descended from faulty convict stock, that's my excuse anyhoo

vCash

Yeah I don't think I'm descended from royal blood myself.

Canadians are just as rabidly nationalistic as Americans. We just express it differently. Hockey games for example are often a black eye for the country. Then of course the relationship between the French and Emglish speaking populations in the country is almost laughable.

But we do have the Trailer Park Boys. The whole crew are from my neck of the woods. The East Coast. A fairly accurate description.

Doomed, I know you and Bill are into your heavy technical stuff, but have you ever listened to the Tragically Hip?

vCash

Can't say that I have, they sort of came on and grew through the time I was a younger bloke into heavier metal, hardcore and punkbands.

I've played a gig with Propagandhi from your fine country about a month back and the lads were all top blokes.

I've also played a gig with Voivod (they borrowed my amp at a festival show out here in Aus when Piggy was still alive) and a show with Kittie who are terrible.

Not terrible bands from Canada off the top of my head like Sheavy, Cryptopsy, Devin Townsend and his related projects, Rush, Cursed, Gorguts, Nomeansno, and mostly Voivod are my favourite Canadian bands.

I wasn't in the band then. but I was at the show when The Tea Party played a new years show in my hometown headlined by one of my current bands and I remember they got a case of beer and 500 bucks. They've done a bit better than the band I'm in now who are still getting cases and beer and 500 a show, ha ha.

Trailer Park Boys series is one of my favourite tv shows ever.
    Last edited by doomeddisciple; 07-12-2011 at 03:58 AM.

vCash

Only familiar with RUsh of the bands you mentioned. I like rock, folk, celtic bit of blue grass now and then. Check out the Hip not heay enough for 10-8 I imagine, but a good band in their own right.

You wouldn't believ how many guys I grew up with are charicatures of the boys from TPBoys!

vCash

This is the best Canadian song ever!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNEg65rlnu4

vCash

Sonnen degrades the sport with his lame wit>>>

I found his post fight interview after the silva loss to be excellent
    http://www.octagonbuzz.com/chael-sonnen-interview-2/

vCash

Yeah. It was that interview and the esteem he is held by others in the MMA community that makes me question if it's all an act. He comes across as white trash, but he is also pretty articulate when he wants to be.

vCash

So I just watched Chael's Latest inetrview on UFC Connected. He had nothing but praise for Stann. He predicted A Yushin Okami win and continued to talk trash about Silva.

The interviewer mentioned how Damien Maia offered to teach him how to defend a triangle choke and Chael was visibly amused, had a good laugh and said he might take him up on the offer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast