Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holyfield vs Walcott

vCash

Holyfield vs Walcott

At first thought, I picked Holyfield. Then I thought about it: in my opinion Walcott hit harder (he floored Marciano), could match him or surpass him in technical skills, was faster, and was one of the few people who could match Evander in the area of conditioning. I would pick Walcott by decision. My dad said he was robbed in the first Louis fight (he was there). I have no opinion on that, since I never saw it.

vCash

Re: Holyfield vs Walcott

And Walcott was a fairly tough guy despite getting clean Ko'd
    by big hits. I think Holyfield might need a KO. Walcott's skill, and slickness
    will cause Evander issues. Lot of this air being hit. But, Holyfiled could bang,
    and bang in buches. Very tough call...

I will go with Walcott by the skin of his teeth.

vCash

Both of these guys could be hot/cold at the heavyweight level. However, Jersey Joe's movement and firing left or right hooks on the move could catch an tiring Holyfield in the late rounds. Holyfield did not punch like Louis or Marciano and both had to come from behind to kayo Walcott. In a 10 round fight Holyfield might have a chance to upset Walcott(like Rex Layne was able to get a 10 round decision over Walcott), but not in a 15 round fight. Walcott with the edge in guile, power, and boxing IQ would win by decision or late tko.
    Last edited by sr71ko; 07-08-2011 at 02:00 PM.

vCash

Holyfield from the first Bowe fight in with Walcott from the first Maricano fight. Maricano and Louis both bring brute power, and a specialness of fighting character, that Holyfiled does not have. Holyfield is faster and has better skills than Maricano, but not Louis. With that much said, I see Walcott having a better chance of slipping and rolling punches. He will be hit though.

I think that Walcott hit harder than Holyfield also Walcott seemed to be in great condition, not like Holyfield but good enough to go all 15 hard.

Holyfield has never been in with a guy like Walcott to my knowledge. Marciano was getting outfoxed until Suzie stepped in. I think that Holyfield goes out earlier than Walcott did if he tries to bang it with Maricano.

Finally, (and this is hard) I am going to go with versatile boxer-puncher, over the versatile banger-boxer. Give me Walcott on points.
    Last edited by JLP 6; 07-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.

vCash

Walcott on points for all of the reasons above. One thing about the Real Deal is that he thrived in an era of boxer-punchers who just wern't very slick in the skills department (Bowe, Cooper, Mercer, Stewart, Tyson). His problems with Moorer, an old Holmes and Bean tell me that Evander, despite his great heart and will to win, has major issues with a lot of the super tough, crafty boxer-punchers of deeper eras. And Walcott was one of the great ones.

vCash

I don't know if citing Moorer, old Holmes and Bean is a good yard stick. He boxed Moorer with a serious shoulder injury and crushed him with 5 KDs in the rematch. Holmes came to spoil not win, and Bean was the inevitable down after the highs of Tyson I & II and Moorer II.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right View Post
    I don't know if citing Moorer, old Holmes and Bean is a good yard stick. He boxed Moorer with a serious shoulder injury and crushed him with 5 KDs in the rematch. Holmes came to spoil not win, and Bean was the inevitable down after the highs of Tyson I & II and Moorer II.
    Moorer gave Evander serious issues in both fights . . he was outboxing Holyfield in the rematch before his china chin caved in from some Holyfield bombs.

Holmes came to spoil? How did he spoil, because he was countering off the ropes? I (and Harold Lederman) gave Larry 5 rounds, the old guy fought his ass off.

I didn't even bring up the Toney, Byrd and Donald fights b/c Evander was well past his best by then, but it is striking those guys pretty much shut Evander completly out while he didn't look nearly as bad vs the likes of Rahman, Valuev, Ibragimov, Saverese while in his 40s. And what real slick elite boxer did Evander ever beat? Carlos DeLeon? Buster Douglas coming in for the paycheck? An ancient Quick Tillis? I like Holyfield a lot but he's never showed he could handle cratiness well and the crafty guys he has been in with all gave him major problems.

vCash

That's right. That just way too hittable style of Evander is magnified against the boxers. Because they don't exchange. They lead and move. Real good matchup though and a decision bout as well. Pretty much the same w/ Holyfield and Charles. I just don't see Evander getting the stoppages against them and he'll lose too many rounds to get the nod.

vCash

Great match up. Evander fought some of the biggest punchers in of his day. Tyson,Bowe,Lewis,Mercer,and Foreman. He walked through them all. So I know he can take anything Walcott as to offer. The Holyfield who fought Tyson was maybe not his prime,but by this time he developed a HW punch. if Walcott tries to trade with evander that would be his ass. Walcott is going to get hit and hit a lot. Evander is also going to get hit but can take it much better. Evander 12th TKO.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    Great match up. Evander fought some of the biggest punchers in of his day. Tyson,Bowe,Lewis,Mercer,and Foreman. He walked through them all. So I know he can take anything Walcott as to offer. The Holyfield who fought Tyson was maybe not his prime,but by this time he developed a HW punch. if Walcott tries to trade with evander that would be his ass. Walcott is going to get hit and hit a lot. .
    And this is based on . . . .

Walcott had probably the best defense of anyone Evander ever fought, and Tyson (esp. the 1996 version), Mercer, Foreman, Bowe etc. were not known for their defense.

vCash

On board with hagler04, and I want to add that I think that Walcott hit harder than Holyfield, possibly harder than everyone else on that list except Forman. This is a guy that dropped Rocky Marciano very early in thier title bout and earned his respect in that fight.

vCash

I'd lean towards Holyfield....I think Walcott would give him hell but I feel Evander would be able to slow him down and either win a close decision or possibly stop him late. I wouldnt bet $$ on it though.....the Walcott that twice fought Louis and Walcott of the Marciano fight was a difficult guy to beat.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLP 6 View Post
    On board with hagler04, and I want to add that I think that Walcott hit harder than Holyfield, possibly harder than everyone else on that list except Forman. This is a guy that dropped Rocky Marciano very early in thier title bout and earned his respect in that fight.
    I doubt very much that he hit harder than Lewis or Tyson. Both were really heavy hitters, and add in that both were throwing shots with two stones extra, and more, in their shots

vCash

Walcott fought a different style fight than Tyson did but, when I watch Walcott unload, those shots looks just as hard as anything Tyson or Lewis threw (check his fight with Charles). He was clever when threw them, which means to me that it hurt even more because the recipent was caught of guard.

Tyson always threw hard, but Walcott when pressed to throw hard, threw Hard. Lewis hit hard, I think mostly because he was big. A way faded Tyson took a ton of leather before Lewis put him down.

I am not saying that they don't rock because the do, but I would put Walcott in the discussion of power with them based on how I have seen him throw.

Either way, Holyfield ain't gonna like getting hit by Walcott, and he ain't gonna be all that thrilled to trade with him after he tastes some of the heat that Walcott can send in.

Rocky was very carefull after that first round.
    Last edited by JLP 6; 07-14-2011 at 12:16 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04 View Post
    And this is based on . . . .

Walcott had probably the best defense of anyone Evander ever fought, and Tyson (esp. the 1996 version), Mercer, Foreman, Bowe etc. were not known for their defense.
    Tyson at peak may not have been known for his defense becasue he was known primarily for being a beast, but to the keen
    eye, Tyson's defense was very good. He simply employed it differently than the traditional way/ways.

vCash

I guess what I was saying is that Holyfield always seems to find his target. Nobody could run from Holyfield all night. Look how many time Rocky hit Walcott with only a 67" reach. Evanders hand speed and heart would be a hard fight for anyone. I've always felt that Walcott was underrated. He was a very strong and smart fighter. This is the wrong fight for Walcott. Evander is not a one and done fighter. If you got hit by Evander on the inside. You can bet 3 or 4 more shots were on the way. A big plus is the fact that Evander could recover from bring hurt faster than any fighter I ever saw. As I said before. Evander can take a punch better than Walcott. Over 15 hard fought rounds that may come into play.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    I guess what I was saying is that Holyfield always seems to find his target. Nobody could run from Holyfield all night. Look how many time Rocky hit Walcott with only a 67" reach. Evanders hand speed and heart would be a hard fight for anyone. I've always felt that Walcott was underrated. He was a very strong and smart fighter. This is the wrong fight for Walcott. Evander is not a one and done fighter. If you got hit by Evander on the inside. You can bet 3 or 4 more shots were on the way. A big plus is the fact that Evander could recover from bring hurt faster than any fighter I ever saw. As I said before. Evander can take a punch better than Walcott. Over 15 hard fought rounds that may come into play.
    Marciano was a completly different fighter than Evander, a non-stop pressure fighter who also hit a lot harder than Evander did.

As for Evander not being a "one and done" fighter . . I mean, that's the guys Evander beat! Walcott thrived in an era of durable, fast, active light heavies and heavyweights. Ezzard Charles, Joe Louis, Joey Maxim, Harold Johnson, Jimmy Bivins, Lee Q Murray, Curtis Sheppard, Elmer Ray . . all of these guys conquered by Walcott. I don't think Evander will be presenting anything Walcott hasn't seen before or been able to deal with.

vCash

Holyfield could bang. I don't see how anyone can claim that Marciano hit a LOT harder?
    It's not an exact science. Fair enough, to say the Rock hit harder, or much harder, than say,
    Hagler, would be spot on. But, Holyfield was a heavyweight (bigger than Rocky too) with quite heavy hands.
    And, if he did hit harder, then I would think it wouldn't be by much. And, Evander has more
    than enough pop to dent Joe.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb View Post
    Holyfield could bang. I don't see how anyone can claim that Marciano hit a LOT harder?
    It's not an exact science. Fair enough, to say the Rock hit harder, or much harder, than say,
    Hagler, would be spot on. But, Holyfield was a heavyweight (bigger than Rocky too) with quite heavy hands.
    And, if he did hit harder, then I would think it wouldn't be by much. And, Evander has more
    than enough pop to dent Joe.

I think Maricano hit a lot hard than Evander. I have never seen him put heads down like Rocky did.

And since you point out the he was smaller than Holyfield should make it even more clear that he hit harder. That punch he put on Walcott ended matter immediately, no need to count. Also Rocky lead of his career with 15 straight KO's, which was some kind of big deal when Tyson started of his career with 16.

If I am a heavywieght, I would rather get hit by Holyfield than Rocky.

+ Reply to Thread