Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P U N M A S T E R' S M U S I C W I R E b y D a v i d G r o s s

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

P U N M A S T E R' S M U S I C W I R E b y D a v i d G r o s s

+--+--+----+--+--+-+--+--+--+--+-+--+| http://www.punmaster.com |--+

P U N M A S T E R' S M U S I C W I R E b y D a v i d G r o s s

"A trusted source of music news since 1873"

Made possible by your support

September 9, 2011

*** All the news that's fit to be tied ***

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+-+--+--+--+--+--+----+--+--+-+--+--+--+--+

* THE HARDEST WORKING NEWSLETTER IN SHOW BUSINESS *

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** JOIN THE PUNMASTER ON FACEBOOK ***

http://www.facebook.com/musicwire

LIKE THIS?--CLICK THE LOGO BELOW

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Punmas...609322?sk=wall

PASS THE WORD........KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES!!!

We accept no substitutions.......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIVE ON THE AIRWAVES - THE ROCKABILLY ROADHOUSE WITH BIG DAVE

FOR BIG FUN, LISTEN TO "THE ROCKABILLY ROADHOUSE WITH BIG DAVE".... FRIDAY NIGHTS from 9pm-11pm (pdt) and SATURDAY MORNINGS from 9am-11am (pdt) for TWO BIG HOURS of amped-up, high-octane roots music....guaranteed to kick start your weekend! STREAM IT LIVE at http://www.krsh.com or listen to The Krush in Sonoma County, CA at KRSH 95.9 FM.
    STREAMING LIVE ON iTUNES (Look for "The Krush" in the 'Eclectic Radio' category)......Tell 40 or 50 of your closest friends!
    Select show archives available here: http://www.krsh.com/Rockabilly-Roadh...rchive/8911085

LIKE IT ON FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ROCKAB...8062853?v=wall
    Rockabilly Roadhouse Web site: http://www.rockabillyroadhouse.com

It's time to get down to the Main Gazane!

CHECK OUT PUNMASTER'S "RADIO ROADHOUSE"

Give it a listen!

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh149981859999599853

* « PUNMASTER keeps going, and going, and going...» *

Attention Punmaster readers......send in your music stories and inside bits for future editions.....

Thanks to Cary Baker...

BILL WYMAN’S POST-ROLLING STONES WORK
    WITH THE RHYTHM KINGS
    COLLECTED ON FIVE-DISC BOX SET DUE OUT OCTOBER 25

‘Collectors’ Edition Box Set,’ out October 25 in the U.S.,
    features Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Mark Knopfler, Nicky Hopkins, Paul Carrack, Peter Frampton, Georgie Fame and Andy Fairweather-Low.

LONDON, U.K. — Back in the 1990s, Bill Wyman did the unthinkable and left the Rolling Stones — the consensus greatest rock ’n’ roll band of all time — and went on to form a group of his own that equaled his previous band in terms of chops, while actually surpassing the Stones in sheer versatility. What’s more, Wyman has managed to keep Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings going strong for a decade and a half and counting, with an ever-shifting lineup of fellow all-star players coming together from all points on the stylistic map and locking together with the precision of a Swiss watch — albeit with a lot more soul. For Wyman, this remarkable accomplishment was the most natural thing in the world. This musicians’ musician just wants to play music, free of all the surrounding nonsense, and so do his talented friends.

This five-disc Collectors’ Edition Box Set, which gathers four studio albums Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings cranked out between their 1998 debut Struttin’ Our Stuffand 2001’s Double Bill, is a revelation, particularly for those who have yet to discover the rich body of work of Wyman’s low-profile/high-revving band. Given the expansive array of material the Rhythm Kings tackle in these recordings, one even might think of this collection as a pocket history of 20th century roots music, with original material written in the spirit of the old songs serving as the connective tissue. The Wyman box will be released in the U.S. on Proper American Records on October 25, 2011.

A founding member of the Stones, and half of what may be rock’s best-ever rhythm section, Wyman remains a refreshingly humble and down-to-earth character. The notion of an egoless rock star may seem oxymoronic, but Wyman turns out to be the ultimate embodiment of just that. “I don’t need an ego,” he says. “I never did. Charlie Watts is the same. Charlie didn’t give a shit about any of that. We’d just do it, get on with it and go home, or back to the hotel. And I’m still like that.”

It’s this quality that has drawn a jaw-dropping procession of virtuosos to play alongside Wyman in the context of Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings whenever their busy schedules have permitted. Scattered here and there through these 66 tracks are the likes of Eric Clapton, Procol Harum’s Gary Brooker, fellow former Stone Mick Taylor, Mark Knopfler, Peter Frampton, Paul Carrack, Chris Rea, acclaimed jazz guitarist Martin Taylor, master percussionist Ray Cooper and, in some of their final recordings, George Harrison and Nicky Hopkins. These greats have slipped seamlessly into the sturdy yet willowy framework provided by core members Wyman, drummer Graham Broad (best known for his work with Roger Waters), singer/guitarist Andy Fairweather-Low (Eric Clapton), legendary singer/organist Georgie Fame, renowned roots guitarist Albert Lee, vocalist Beverley Skeete, horn players Frank Mead and Nick Payn, pianist Geraint Watkins and guitarist Terry Taylor, who doubles as Wyman’s primary collaborator on the originals.

As he looks back on the last 20 years of his life and career, the affable, perennially youthful Wyman peppers his conversation with wry laughter as understated as his playing style, onstage demeanor and personality. “In ’91, the Stones had a big business meeting,” he begins. “They were about to sign the contract with Virgin, and I said, ‘I won’t be doing that, ’cause I’m leaving.’ ‘No you’re not,’ they said. ‘You can’t leave.’ ‘Well, I am.’ Bless them, they didn’t believe me for two years; they left the door open until they were ready to go out on the ’94 tour. And in late ’93, Charlie and Mick came ’round and said, ‘Is it definite? Have you left?’ I said, ‘I left two years ago.’”

“So then I thought, maybe I should do some music on the side, but not heavy; I don’t want to have to worry about charts, image and all that crap. It’s not gonna be a career move — I’m just gonna do it for the fun. I got together with my mate and right-hand man Terry Taylor, and I said, ‘Let’s do something.’ We were gonna just do a blues duo and call ourselves the Dirt Boys, and we started to rough up ideas. And then, when we decided to go into the studio just for a couple of days, we thought it might be nice to have a drummer, and, of course, a piano player would be good. So I just phoned up a few mates.”

His first calls were to Fairweather-Low (who’d been part of Wyman’s ’80s group, Willie & the Poor Boys, the stylistic forerunner of Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings), Graham Broad and pianist Dave Hartley, who went on to work with Sting. “We went into the studio, and I said, ‘We’ll cut anything that meets my fancy,’” he continues. “I dug out a list of early music that I liked and thought might be good to do. It ranged from Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Fats Waller, Ray Charles, into the early rock ’n’ roll, like Louie Jordan and Cab Calloway — all the way back to the ’30s and upwards. So we went in for three days and cut eight tracks.”

The numerous live-performance videos uploaded on YouTube by fans show various configurations of Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings but a palpable spirit permeates every clip. All the musicians appear to be totally blissed out, none more so than Wyman himself, reveling in the experience of simply being one of the guys, making music with friends. “We have a ball,” he says. “There’s nothing nicer than doing a two-hour show and seeing the entire audience standing and applauding through the last few numbers — and they keep doing it for another 10 minutes after we go back to the dressing room. And it’s night after night.”

“I discovered that I could write songs in the old styles, because I would analyze the way they did the arrangements, the way the instrumentation sounded, the way people sang and the slang they used for the lyrics. And in the end, the track, when we’d finish it, would sound like a song from the ’30s, ’40s or ’50s. It’s almost like an archeological dig into music. But there are very few bands that have the depth and versatility of my band in doing a total mixture of music. We play blues, reggae, soul music, gospel-y stuff, jump music, early rock ’n’ roll, we do ’70s stuff — it’s a whole mixture. We can do anything.”

As prodigiously talented as Wyman’s band is, it’s almost as if Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings have been hiding in plain sight all these years. Part of it has to do with Wyman’s aversion to globetrotting — one of the primary reasons he left the Stones after 31 years of it. He’s now happy to play anywhere — as long as the band can get there by bus, train or ferry, meaning no further from home than Eastern Europe. “We don’t seem to go to another level, because I just don’t travel anymore, which disappoints the band a bit,” he acknowledges. “But that is not what we do it for. We have a really nice time playing music that grabs us and we go home with smiles on our faces, just like the audience does. That’s really all it’s about.”

And in purely musical terms, that’s more than enough. Bill Wyman just can’t help keeping it down to the real nitty-gritty as he continues his single-minded career path. “Whether it’s been the right direction or not, I don’t know,” he reflects. “But I’ve enjoyed it.”

http://www.billwyman.com

Jerry Leiber, Prolific Writer of 1950s Hits, Dies at 78

By WILLIAM GRIMES

Jerry Leiber, the lyricist who, with his partner, Mike Stoller, wrote some of the most enduring classics in the history of rock ’n’ roll, including “Hound Dog,” “Yakety Yak,” “Stand By Me” and “On Broadway,” died in August in Los Angeles. He was 78.

From left, Mike Stoller, Elvis Presley and Jerry Leiber at MGM Studios in 1957.
    The cause was cardio-pulmonary failure, said Randy Poe, president of Leiber & Stoller Music Publishing.

The team of Leiber and Stoller was formed in 1950, when Mr. Leiber was still a student at Fairfax High in Los Angeles and Mr. Stoller, a fellow rhythm-and-blues fanatic, was a freshman at Los Angeles City College. With Mr. Leiber contributing catchy, street-savvy lyrics and Mr. Stoller, a pianist, composing infectious, bluesy tunes, they set about writing songs with black singers and groups in mind.

In 1952, they wrote “Hound Dog” for the blues singer Big Mama Thornton. The song became an enormous hit for Elvis Presley in 1956 and made Leiber and Stoller the hottest songwriting team in rock ’n’ roll. They later wrote “Jailhouse Rock,” “Loving You,” “Don’t,” “Treat Me Nice,” “King Creole” and other songs for Presley, despite their loathing for his interpretation of “Hound Dog.”

In the late 1950s, having relocated to New York and taken their place among the constellation of talents associated with the Brill Building, they emerged as perhaps the most potent songwriting team in the genre.

Their hits for the Drifters remain some of the most admired songs in the rock ’n’ roll canon, notably “On Broadway,” written with Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, and “Stand By Me” with Ben E. King. With Phil Spector, Mr. Leiber wrote the Drifters hit “Spanish Harlem.”

They wrote a series of hits for the Coasters, including “Charlie Brown,” “Young Blood” with Doc Pomus, “Searchin’,” “Poison Ivy” and “Yakety Yak.”

“Smokey Joe’s Cafe,” a 1954 hit written for the Robins, became the title of a Broadway musical based on the Leiber and Stoller songbook. In 1987, the partners were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

“Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller have written some of the most spirited and enduring rock ’n’ roll songs," the hall said in a statement when they were inducted. “Leiber and Stoller advanced rock ’n’ roll to new heights of wit and musical sophistication.”

Jerome Leiber was born on April 25, 1933, in Baltimore, where his parents, Jewish immigrants from Poland, ran a general store. When Jerry was 5, his father died and his mother tried, with little success, to run a small store in one of the city’s worst slums. When he was 12, she took him to Los Angeles.

It was while attending Fairfax High in Los Angeles and working in Norty’s Record Shop that he met Leonard Sill, a promoter for Modern Records, and confessed that he wanted to be a songwriter. After Sill urged him to find a pianist who could help him put his ideas onto sheet music he met Mr. Stoller through a friend, and the two began writing together

“Often I would have a start, two or four lines,” Mr. Leiber told Robert Palmer, the author of “Baby, That Was Rock & Roll: The Legendary Leiber and Stoller” (1978). “Mike would sit at the piano and start to jam, just playing, fooling around, and I’d throw out a line. He’d accommodate the line — metrically, rhythmically.”

Within a few years they had written modestly successful songs for several rhythm-and-blues singers: “K.C. Lovin’ ” for Little Willie Littlefield, which under the title “Kansas City” became a No. 1 hit for Wilbert Harrison in 1959.

In 1952, Sill arranged for Mr. Leiber and Mr. Stoller to visit the bandleader Johnny Otis and to listen to several of the rhythm-and-blues acts who worked with him, including Big Mama Thornton, who sang “Ball and Chain” for them. Inspired, the partners went back to Mr. Stoller’s house and wrote “Hound Dog.”

“I yelled, he played,” Mr. Leiber told Josh Alan Friedman, the author of “Tell the Truth Until They Bleed: Coming Clean in the Dirty World of Blues and Rock ’n’ Roll” (2008). “The groove came together and we finished in 12 minutes flat. I work fast. We raced right back to lay the song on Big Mama.”

In 1953 they formed Spark Records, an independent label, with Sill, but without national distribution it failed to score major hits. Atlantic Records, which had bought the Leiber and Stoller song “Ruby Baby” and “Fools Fall in Love” for the Drifters, signed them to an unusual agreement that allowed them to produce for other labels. The golden age of Leiber and Stoller began.

Their seemingly endless list of hit songs from this period included “Love Potion No. 9” for the Clovers (later a hit for the Searchers).

In the mid-1960s, Mr. Leiber and Mr. Stoller concentrated on production. They founded Red Bird Records, where they turned out hit records by girl groups like the Dixie Cups (“Chapel of Love”) and the Shangri-Las (“Leader of the Pack,” “Walking in the Sand”).

They sold the label in 1966 and worked as independent producers and writers. Peggy Lee, who had recorded their song “I’m a Woman” in 1963, recorded “Is that All There Is?” in 1969.

Mr. Leiber is survived by three sons, Jed, Oliver and Jake, and two grandchildren.

With Mr. Stoller and David Ritz, Mr. Leiber wrote a 2009 memoir, “Hound Dog: The Leiber & Stoller Autobiography.”

Nick Ashford, Part of Motown Songwriting Duo, Dies

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK (AP) — Nick Ashford, one-half of the legendary Motown songwriting duo Ashford & Simpson that penned elegant, soulful classics for the likes of Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye and funk hits for Chaka Khan and others, died Monday at age 70, his former publicist said.

Ashford, who along with wife Valerie Simpson wrote some of Motown's biggest hits, died in a New York City hospital, said Liz Rosenberg, who also was Ashford's longtime friend. He had been suffering from throat cancer and had undergone radiation treatment, she said.

Though they had some of their greatest success at Motown with classics like "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "Reach Out And Touch Somebody's Hand" by Ross and "You're All I Need To Get By" by Gaye and Tammi Terrell, Ashford & Simpson also created classics for others, like the anthem "I'm Every Woman" by Khan (and later remade by Whitney Houston).

They also had success writing for themselves: Perhaps the biggest known hit sung by them was the 1980s hit "Solid As A Rock."

Ashford and Simpson's relationship stretched more than four decades. They met in 1964 in a New York City church; Ashford, a South Carolina native, had come to the city to pursue a dance career. Simpson was a music student, and after connecting with her, they decided to start to write songs together.

Their first major success occurred when they came up with "Let's Go Get Stoned" for Ray Charles. That song became a huge hit, and soon, they came to the attention of Motown Records and began penning hits for their artists. The started out writing for Gaye and Terrell; in fact, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was originally their hit, until Ross later rerecorded it and made it her signature song.

The duo, who were married for 38 years, helped sell millions of records for several artists. They also had success as their own entity, but despite "Solid As a Rock," their hits dwarfed those that they penned for others.

In recent years, the pair continued to perform. They also were owners of the New York City restaurant Sugar Bar, where many top names and emerging talents would put on showcases.

Ashford is survived by his wife and two daughters.

Thanks to Dave Basner for these news stories......

NILS LOFGREN’S 9-11 INSPIRED SONG
    E Street Band guitarist Nils Lofgren has penned a song honoring the heroes, victims and families affected by 9-11. It’s called “When You Are Loved” and its lyrics describe a grieving wife and mother with a young son finding the spirit to carry on, honoring her fallen husband and loving their child. You can download the track for free atNilsLofgren.com.
    • TIDBIT: Nils was born in Chicago.

JON BON JOVI PERFORMS FOR FIREFIGHTERS
    It’s been ten years since 9-11 and to mark the occasion, Jon Bon Jovi returned to the Engine Co. 8, Ladder 2 fire house in Manhattan this week to pay tribute to the firefighters. It was filmed for the NBC special, NFL Kickoff 2011: Back to Football, much like his original visit to the fire house, which aired on September 23rd, 2001 before the kick-off of the first football games following 9/11. According to the Associated Press, the rocker spoke to some of the same firemen he chatted with a decade ago and said he felt the same camaraderie that he felt in 2001. Watch the special on Saturday.
    • TIDBIT: Bon Jovi was in the gym at his New Jersey home on September 11th, 2001 watching the news when planes hit the World Trade Center.

MICKEY HART DOESN’T LISTEN TO HIS OWN MUSIC
    Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart turns 68 on Sunday. Over his lifetime, he has made dozens of albums both with the Grateful Dead and on his own. But does he ever put them in his CD player and have a listen? He filled us in.

(Cut #6) “I put it in my collection. Do I listen to it? No. I mean I made it and so I spent thousands of hours with it. I don’t listen to it on a daily basis. Nor do I listen to Grateful Dead because I’m always looking ahead and trying to make new music.”

You can keep up to date with the drummer at MickeyHart.net.
    • TIDBIT: Mickey was born Michael Steven Hartman in Brooklyn, New York.

NEIL DIAMOND ENGAGED AND WILL BE HONORED
    It’s a pretty good week for Neil Diamond. The 70-year-old singer revealed on Twitter that he’s engaged to a woman named Katie, adding that he is “lovestruck.” He also posted a photo of her in a subsequent tweet. It will be his third marriage and his first since splitting with wife number two in 1995. Meanwhile, it was just announced that Neil will be recognized at this year’s Kennedy Center Honors. According to the Associated Press, when he heard the news, Diamond said he was “flying way above sea level.” Follow Neil at Twitter.com/NeilDiamond.
    • TIDBIT: Others being honored this year include Meryl Streep, Yo-Yo Ma, Broadway singer Barbara Cook and saxophonist Sonny Rollins.
    • TIDBIT: Neil’s song “Sweet Caroline” was written about Caroline Kennedy, who hosts the show.
    • DIRECT LINK TO PHOTO OF NEIL’S FIANCEE:
    http://pic.twitter.com/hZioKG4

SEE THE STONES LIVE IN TEXAS IN 1978 ON NEW DVD
    During the 1978 tour promoting their album Some Girls, The Rolling Stones performed in Fort Worth, Texas and now, for the first time ever, that set is coming out. It’s aptly called The Rolling Stones: Some Girls Live in Texas 1978 and will be available on DVD and Blu-Ray. On it, the guys play songs like “Beast of Burden,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and “Brown Sugar.” Pick it up on November 21st.
    • TIDBIT: The band’s line-up for the show was Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ronnie Wood and Bill Wyman.

GEORGE HARRISON EXHIBIT AT THE GRAMMY MUSEUM
    On October 5th and 6th, Martin Scorsese’s documentary on George Harrison, Living in the Material World, will air on HBO, and the following week, a new exhibition with the same name will open at the GRAMMY Museum in downtown L-A. It features several guitars George used both with the Beatles and in his solo career, handwritten lyrics, personal journals and sketches, stage outfits and photos he shot. It opens on October 11th and you can learn more about it at GrammyMuseum.org.
    • TIDBIT: The Harrison Estate is lending dozens of items to the museum for the exhibit.

BOWIE AND REED GOT INTO A FIGHT
    It turns out that David Bowie and Lou Reed got into a fight back in 1979. According to Uncut’s Bowie: The Ultimate Music Guide magazine, after Lou’s show at the Hammersmith Odeon in London, he went out to eat with David. Something happened over the dinner and Reed began hitting Bowie. It took nine people to get him off the “Space Oddity” singer, all the while Reed shouted insults at his friend. While it seemed like they made up, moments later, Reed was back to punching Bowie in the face. Lou was then removed from the premises by his escorts. Learn more about that incident and all things Bowie by picking up the magazine.
    • TIDBIT: Bowie’s real name is David Robert Jones.
    • TIDBIT: Sunday marks the 34th anniversary the day Bowie recorded a guest appearance on Bing Crosby’s Merrie Olde Christmas TV show. There, the pair duetted on “The Little Drummer Boy.”

DAVE GROHL BLASTS GLEE…AGAIN
    Dave Grohl once again addressed his feud with Glee this week. The Foo Fighters frontman spoke of his dispute with the show’s creator, Ryan Murphy, on Chelsea Lately, saying, “I just felt like, you know, as a musician, you should be able to say no, should be able to say I don’t want to do your show, you should be able to say I don’t want to do anything that someone tells me to do. It’s every band’s right, you shouldn’t have to do f**king Glee.”

WHEN CHAD SMITH MET WILL FERRELL
    So everyone knows by now that Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith looks strikingly like comedian Will Ferrell. So have the two ever met? According to Rolling Stone, the pair crossed each other’s paths once at a party. Smith said at the event, Ferrell “looks me up and down and says, ‘You’re very handsome,’ and walks away. Totally deadpan. I was like, ‘You’re funny. You’re funny.” Fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers can check out their new album, I’m With You, now.

THE CONCERT FOR NEW YORK CITY
    On October 20th, 2001, celebrities and musicians alike took the stage at Madison Square Garden at a benefit show called The Concert for New York City, held in response to the attacks of September 11th. Some huge names in music like David Bowie, The Who, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Billy Joel performed for charity while in between acts, celebrities took the stage to honor the first responders from the New York Fire Department and New York Police Department. The five-hour long broadcast raised over 35-million dollars. To mark the tenth anniversary of 9-11, Vh1 is re-airing the concert in its entirety on Sunday starting at 4 PM.

OUT THIS WEEK
    Tuesday, September 6th

Lindsey Buckingham – Seeds We Sow

Roger Glover – If Life Was Easy
    TALK SHOW GUESTS

Friday, September 9th

Jay Leno (NBC 11:35 PM ET) Bill Maher and Alice Cooper

Jimmy Fallon (NBC 12:35 AM ET) LPearl Jam

ALL THE STONES’ SETS ON ED SULLIVAN SHOW COMING OUT
    The Rolling Stones appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show six times between 1964 and 1969 and on November 1st, all of those performances will be out in a deluxe package. According to Billboard.com, the set, titled Six Ed Sullivan Shows starring The Rolling Stones, features some never-before-released footage, including their final appearance on the show on November 23rd, 1969. If you can’t wait for the deluxe package, you can get an abridged version on October 4th with just four shows.
    • TIDBIT: Songs performed include “Time is on My Side,” “Paint it Black,” “Ruby Tuesday,” “Gimme Shelter” and many others.
    • TIDBIT: The DVDs include full shows with other performances from the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Phyllis Diller, Rodney Dangerfield and even “The Muppets.”

WILL TED NUGENT WORK ON RICK PERRY’S CAMPAIGN?
    Most people know Ted Nugent as a Texas conservative, so will the Motor City Madman be part of his friend Texas Governor Rick Perry’s presidential campaign? It doesn’t seem that way. The Nuge told Billboard that he has spoken to Rick about it and if the politician doesn’t give him an “authorized position in the campaign” it is because Ted is “too divisive.” Nugent explained, “I don’t know if I’ll get a stamp of approval because I am so volatile and because the line in the sand in a political campaign can be so ambiguous – and I’m anything but.” Read more at Billboard.com.
    • TIDBIT: Ted has a new song called “I Still Believe” available at his website, TedNugent.com. The song was inspired by the charity work he does with children and injured military personnel.

A “DUST IN THE WIND” 35TH ANNIVERSARY BOOK
    Next year, Kansas’s iconic song “Dust in the Wind” turns 35 years old and to mark the anniversary, the band is releasing a limited-edition gift book. The 32-page tome includes song lyrics, personal stories from fans and a foreword by Kansas founding member and “Dust in the Wind” songwriter Kerry Livgren. Kerry will also sign books pre-ordered by October 20th. Get yours at KansasBand.com.
    • TIDBIT: “Dust in the Wind” was the first song Kansas recorded.
    • TIDBIT: A portion of proceeds from sales of the book will go to the Autism Speaks charity.

PHISH TO PLAY BENEFIT SHOW IN VERMONT
    Vermont was hit hard recently by Hurricane Irene and to help the state’s flood recovery efforts, Phish plan to perform a benefit show. It will mark the group’s first concert in Vermont since 2004 and takes place on the 14th in Essex Junction. Keyboardist Page McConnell said in a statement, “Vermont is very much a part of who we are as a band. We’re really looking forward to playing this show and we hope the money raised will make a difference in the recovery and rebuilding effort.” Tickets go on sale on Saturday at 10 AM Eastern. Learn more at LivePhish.com.
    • TIDBIT: Irene caused the worst flooding in a century in Vermont.

LES PAUL GRAVESITE MEMORIAL TO BE DEDICATED
    On Saturday, Les Paul’s friends and family will gather at his gravesite in Waukesha, Wisconsin to dedicate a memorial to him. The 500-square-foot granite monument features the guitar innovator’s biography, benches for visitors and allows fans a place to reflect on him. The ceremony takes place in the morning and you can watch a live stream of it at LesPaulFoundation.org.
    • TIDBIT: Les is buried next to his mother.

WIN A TRIP TO ROCK AND ROLL FANTASY CAMP
    Vh1 Classic is giving away a trip for two to Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp at the Playboy Mansion and it’s easy for you to win it. All you have to do is head to the network’s Facebook page at Facebook.com/Vh1Classic. The winner will receive two roundtrip airline tickets, a four-night hotel stay, meals with rock stars, a recording session of their original song, a DVD of their performance, a tour of the mansion and much more. Meanwhile, check out the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp series on Vh1 Classic Saturdays at 10 PM Eastern.

FOOS, EDDIE VEDDER AND MORE FOR BRIDGE SCHOOL BENEFIT
    Foo Fighters are set to appear at Neil Young’s Bridge School Benefit next month. The band will participate in the annual event, which takes place on October 23rd at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, California. Other acts set to perform include Dave Matthews, Arcade Fire, Eddie Vedder, Beck, Mumford and Sons and more. Proceeds from the event benefit The Bridge School, which helps physically challenged children overcome their impairments.

U2 TO PREMIERE NEW DOCUMENTARY ON SHOWTIME
    According to The Hollywood Reporter, U2’s new documentary, From the Sky Down, will make its television debut next month. The Davis Guggenheim-directed film, which chronicles the making of their 1991 album Achtung Baby, will air on Showtime on Saturday, October 29th at 8 PM. The movie will debut at the Toronto International Film Festival today (9/8). Bono and The Edge will host a webchat on U2.com tomorrow to talk about the film so be sure to log on.

VAN HALEN ALBUM MIXED
    Last month, Van Halen finished mixing their new album. The news comes from the usually reliable fan site Van Halen News Desk and along with it are reports that the record will be mastered in a couple weeks. That process is expected to take a week. As yet, there is no word on when the group’s first effort with David Lee Roth will come out but you can stay up to date at VHND.com.
    • TIDBIT: There is also no word on the group’s touring plans behind the effort.

MORE DETAILS ON METALLICA AND LOU REED’S LULU
    We’re just two months away from the release of Metallica and Lou Reed’s collaborative album, Lulu, and we’re learning more about the effort. Along with previously announced track names like “Pumping Blood,” “Mistress Dread” and “Junior Dog,” other songs on the 10-track effort include “Brandenburg Gate,” “Frustration,” “Iced Honey,” “Cheat on Me,” “Little Dog” and “The View.” Meanwhile, the album art has also been revealed. It features an armless mannequin with a brown wig. “Lulu” is seemingly written in blood as well. See it and hear it when the album comes out on November 1st.
    • TIDBIT: As previously reported, the record was inspired by expressionist writer Frank Wededkind’s (Pron: Vay-duh-kint) plays Earth Spirit and Pandora’s Box, collectively known as the “Lulu Plays,” which tell the story of a young abused dancer.

CHICKENFOOT TO PLAY FREE LIVE CONCERT WEBCAST
    Chickenfoot release their sophomore album, Chickenfoot III, on September 27th, and to celebrate, they’ll be performing a free live concert webcast that same day. It kicks off at 9 PM Eastern and along with the concert, the guys will take part in a 30 minute Q&A session with fans. Learn more and see it all at Chickenfoot.us.
    • TIDBIT: The concert will take place at TRI Studios in Marin County, California.

GOD BLESS OZZY OSBOURNE ON DVD NOVEMBER 15
    God Bless Ozzy Osbourne, the documentary that spotlights the personal side of the Prince of Darkness’ life, will be out on DVD on November 15th. The film includes interviews with Ozzy’s friends and fellow rockers, but among the more moving moments are hearing from his oldest kids, the ones he had with his first wife, before Sharon, early in his career, when he wasn’t the best father. Ozzy reflected on those days with us.

(Cut #2) “When you’re drinking and using drugs like I was, you think, ‘What’s wrong with everybody?’ you never think it’s you and you don’t realize you’re offending. I’m not just the guy who can make s**tloads of dough and buy new toys every five minutes or take them on private planes or whatever. Then they don’t a father that they can say, ‘Dad, help me fix this car, the wheel fell off.’ Then you’re like, ‘Oh for f**k’s sake.’”

Ozzy spoke about what it is like seeing the movie and hearing what his kids said.

(Cut #3) “You’re on another level, you know. I just thought it was what rock stars did. It was eye opening for me to see how I f**ked my children around. I can’t… Sorry isn’t enough, I just have to be a different person with them.”

You can see God Bless Ozzy Osbourne when it comes out on DVD on November 15th.
    • TIDBIT: Ozzy’s son, Jack, produced the movie.

SAN FRANCISCO TO CELEBRATE HENDRIX
    On Tuesday, the four-CD box set Jimi Hendrix Experience Winterland comes out. The package documents the band’s historic performances at San Francisco’s legendary Winterland Ballroom in October of 1968, and to mark its release, the City by the Bay plans to proclaim September 13th, 2011 “Jimi Hendrix Winterland Day.” As part of the celebration, there will be a party in San Fran featuring Jimi’s sister, Janie, and acclaimed bassist and Hendrix fan Bootsy Collins. Rare video clips of Jimi will also be played at the event. Get the latest on the guitarist at JimiHendrix.com.
    • TIDBIT: San Francisco’s Winterland Ballroom was built in 1928 as an ice skating rink that could be turned into an entertainment venue. It closed on January 1st after an eight-hour long concert featuring The Grateful Dead and The Blues Brothers. The structure was torn down in 1985 and apartments now stand in its footprint.

CHRISSIE HYNDE ON VEGETARIANISM
    Today (9/7), Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders turns 60 years old. Chrissie is not only a rocker, she’s also a vegetarian and an animal rights activist. She spoke to us about vegetarianism.
    (Cut #5) “There is a little country called India and five-thousand years ago, everyone was vegetarian. I’m not talking about if you live in the mountain and nothing grows and you have to kill to survive, blah, blah, blah, we know all that. But this, when people say we’re evolving, I would beg to differ. We’re devolving, we’re going away from our source, we’re degenerating in our culture. But if anyone wants to save their soul, come on board!”
    Chrissie owns a vegan restaurant in Akron, Ohio called The VegiTerranean, which serves fusion Italian-Mediterranean food. Stay up to date with Chrissie atThePretenders.com.
    • TIDBIT: Chrissie was born in Akron to a part-time secretary and a Yellow Pages manager.

KISS SPECIAL ON CNN NEXT MONTH
    The world of Kiss is an intriguing one and next month, CNN will delve into it in a new special. It’s called Kiss Inc. and in it, reporter Poppy Harlow goes backstage at a concert, on board the band’s plane, and to the homes of Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. Check it out on CNN Presents, October 23rd at 8 PM Eastern.
    • TIDBIT: According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, Gene Simmons is worth 300-million dollars while Paul’s net worth is 125-mil.

ALICE COOPER TO PLAY AT WHISKY A GO-GO
    For the first time since 1969, Alice Cooper will play at the famed L-A venue, Whisky a Go-Go. The shock rocker will take the stage at the Sunset Strip club on September 15th for a special performance. Meanwhile, his latest album, Welcome 2 My Nightmare, the sequel to 1975’s Welcome to My Nightmare, hits shelves on Tuesday.
    • TIDBIT: When Alice played the Whisky in 1969, Led Zeppelin was on the bill as well.

ANTHRAX SINGER DOES FOREIGNER, JOURNEY SOUND CHECK
    Last week, Journey and Foreigner played at the New York State Fair in Syracuse and as the band’s crews did their soundchecks, they got some help on the vocals from Anthrax singer Joey Belladonna. The rocker, who regularly performs hits by the groups with his Syracuse-based power trio Chief Big Way, sung Journey’s “Separate Ways” and Foreigner’s “Double Vision” at the soundcheck. Find video of it on YouTube.
    • TIDBIT: When Joey first auditioned for Anthrax, he sang the Journey song “Lights.”

PAUL SIMON IS A ONE-TRICK PONY
    Paul Simon has created many a hit song during his career, but he’s lamenting over something that sets him apart from other musicians – that he doesn’t do anything else. The legendary singer told American Songwriter, “Paul McCartney’s writing a ballet. Neil Young is very involved in film. Bob [Dylan] paints… I’m not particularly creative in any other area. You know, I can’t paint or make gates or make ballets or films or any of that. This is all I do.” Read more at AmericanSongwriter.com.
    • TIDBIT: Paul brought up his lack of a hobby when asked about the changing music industry.

AC/DC DRUMMER OPENING RESTAURANT
    AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd is not just a rock star, he’s an entrepreneur too and is planning to open a new restaurant in Tauranga, New Zealand. The harborside eatery is aptly called Phil’s Place and according to the Bay of Plenty Times, Rudd promises it will “be a place that will blow your mind.” Read more at BayOfPlentyTimes.co.nz.
    • TIDBIT: Phil has lived in Tauranga for more than 25 years.

McCARTNEY INTERVIEWS DORIS DAY
    Doris Day just released My Heart, her first album in nearly 20 years, and the 87-year-old retired performer chose a special person to talk to about it in a new interview. Paul McCartney came to Doris’ California home to discuss the effort for a piece in Britain’s Daily Telegraph. The pair chat about the covers on the album – songs by Joe Cocker and The Beach Boys – but also get personal and speak about their children. Doris describes her late son, Terry Melcher, who passed away in 2004 and is featured on the album. Read more at Telegraph.co.uk.
    • TIDBIT: Paul said to Day, “You seem so perky and I feel that spirit in the album. I think it’s very beautifully sung.”

ELVIS DOCUMENTARY ON THE WAY
    In 2007, Elvis Presley’s bodyguard, Sonny West, released a book about The King called Elvis: Still Taking Care of Business, and now, it’s going to become a documentary. The flick, called Fame & Fortune, will be the first feature film based on Elvis’ life. It’ll hit theaters next year to coincide with the 35th anniversary of Presley’s death on August 16th.
    • TIDBIT: Elvis Presley Enterprises has no involvement in the film yet and no songs have been cleared for use. However, the screenwriter feels once they see the script, they will “see that we are celebrating Elvis as an artist” and allow them to use the tunes.
    • TIDBIT: The screenwriter told Billboard, “At the heart, this is the story of an intimate friendship.”

THE EDGE AND BONO TALK NEW DOCUMENTARY ONLINE THIS FRIDAY
    The Edge and Bono will be joining director Davis Guggenheim later this week to discuss their documentary From the Sky Down, which premieres at the Toronto International Film Festival in a few days. The documentary is about the making of the band’s seminal 1991 album Achtung Baby. Fans can post questions to the band and director on Twitter using the hashtag #TheSkyDown. The live webchat will be seen on U2.com from 1.30 PM Eastern on Friday.

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM’S NEW SOLO ALBUM OUT NOW
    Lindsey Buckingham new solo album, Seeds We Sow, is out today. The record is the Fleetwood Mac legend’s sixth solo effort but it’s his first self-release and he’s not just putting it out himself – he also wrote, performed, produced and mixed all the songs on the disc. Lindsey plans to support the effort with a big North American tour that kicks off on Friday in Nevada. Get more information at LindseyBuckingham.com.
    • TIDBIT: The first single from the album is called “In Our Own Time.” Other songs on the effort include “One Take,” “When She Comes Down,” “She Smiles Sweetly” and “Illumination.”
    • TIDBIT: In a statement, Buckingham said of the album, “This might be the best work I’ve ever done.”

FLEA ON WHY RHCP STAY PROLIFIC
    Red Hot Chili Peppers wrote tons of new songs for their brand new album, I’m With You, and although only 14 songs made the record, bass player Flea says it’s good to stay prolific (See Related Cut #4). I’m With You is the new album from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and it’s out now.

VH1 TO REAIR THE CONCERT FOR NEW YORK CITY
    Less than six weeks after the devastating attacks of September 11th, the people of New York came together for an historic benefit show appropriately titled The Concert for New York City. It featured performances and appearances by Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, The Who, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, Adam Sandler, Elton John, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Jay-Z, Jerry Seinfeld, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jim Carrey, Denis Leary, Howard Stern, Mayor Rudy Giuliani and more, and on the 10 year anniversary of September 11th, Vh1 will be airing the show in its entirety, uninterrupted. Be sure to tune in when The Concert for New York City: Ten Years Later, airs from 4 to 10 PM Eastern on Vh1.

ALICE COOPER SAYS GAGA IS THE FEMALE HIM
    Alice Cooper has some high praise for Lady Gaga. According to the Associated Press, the rock legend said that “Lady Gaga is the female Alice Cooper,” and that she “totally gets it.” He went on to say that just like in real life he is Vincent Furnier, and in real life, Gaga is Stefani Germanotta, and that “when you meet her offstage, she’s nothing like” her Gaga “character.”
    • TIDBIT: Gaga hasn’t been shy about her admiration of Cooper, and even posted a picture that they took together on her Twitter account.

RAY DAVIES’ UPDATE ON THE KINKS MUSICAL
    A couple years ago, Kinks singer Ray Davies told us that he was working on a musical that uses the band’s music to tell a story. When we caught up with the legend recently, we asked for an update on if that musical is still happening.

(Cut #1) “Yup, it is. I’m using some of the old songs and met with lots of writers. You know, the book to musicals is really difficult. There’s a whole different approach to doing musicals and songs within musicals. All my songs are three minute musicals in themselves, most songs are. So it’s finding a link where they can all work together and turn it into a storytelling aspect and I think I found a way through it.”

In the meantime, you can check out Ray’s latest album, See My Friends. On it, he performs Kinks classics alongside the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Jackson Browne and others. Learn more at RayDavies.info.
    • TIDBIT: Last September, Ray was given the Outstanding Achievement Award at the GQ Men of the Year Awards.

GUITAR PRODIGY ORIANTHI JOINS ALICE COOPER BAND
    Orianthi, the 26-year-old guitarist best known for working with Michael Jackson, will replacing departing axeman Damon Johnson and join Alice Cooper on tour for the next leg of his No More Mr. Nice Guy world trek. Before the first show of the tour on the 22nd in Auckland, New Zealand, Orianthi will perform with Alice and the band when they appear on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on September 9th.
    • TIDBIT: Orianthi previously accompanied Alice when he performed on the 2010 season finale of American Idol. In the past, she’s traded solos with Carlos Santana, opened for Steve Vai and backed Carrie Underwood.

HAGAR TO CELEBRATE HIS HOMETOWN
    In June of 2013, Fontana, California will celebrate their hundredth birthday with a parade. That normally wouldn’t be big news except that the city has recruited one of their biggest homegrown heroes to be the grand marshal – Sammy Hagar. The Chickenfoot singer will be in town to lead the celebrations. Learn more atFontanaHeraldNews.com.
    • TIDBIT: Fontana, California was first founded in 1913 as a tiny agricultural town and is now a city with nearly 200-thousand inhabitants.

McCARTNEY’S 9/11 DOC OUT NEXT WEEK
    One day before the tenth anniversary of 9/11, a documentary about Paul McCartney’s experiences in New York City following the national tragedy will air on Showtime. The black and white movie is called The Love We Make and focuses on the Beatle’s work in planning and rehearsing for the Concert for New York City benefit that took place six weeks after the attacks. Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Leonardo DiCaprio and Bill Clinton all appear in the doc. You don’t have to wait until the 10th to see it though, it will also play in select theaters on the Thursday. Learn more at PaulMcCartney.com.
    • TIDBIT: Proceeds from the screenings on the 8th go towards MyGoodDeed – the organization that leads the 9/11 National Day of Service and Remembrance.

IOMMI: SABBATH REUNION REPORTS ARE “ABSOLUTE NONSENSE”
    Black Sabbath fans should be pretty upset with the Birmingham Mail, which reported that the original line-up of the band would officially be reuniting. Apparently, it’s not true. Guitarist Tony Iommi released a statement, calling the report “absolute nonsense.” He explained that he spoke to the paper in June and was “merely speculating shooting the breeze” and now it’s coming out as something “official,” when it is not. Tony apologized to his former bandmates and promised he won’t ever again speak with the journalist who reported this. Read more at Iommi.com.
    • TIDBIT: That last time Sabbath toured together was in the summer of 2005.
    • TIDBIT: The Birmingham Mail is now reporting that Tony’s manager refuses to deny that the band’s original members are getting back together. Iommi’s rep said that the guys might be talking but that “there’s nothing in the way that’s been implied in the statements” in the paper.

CLASSIC SEGER LIVE ALBUMS GETTING REISSUED
    Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band are hitting the road this fall for the second leg of their 2011 North American tour and to get fans further excited about seeing the group, Capitol/EMI are reissuing some live sets. Bob’s multi-platinum Live Bullet and Nine Tonight concert albums will come out again on September 13th, digitally remastered and with exclusive bonus tracks. To get all of Seger’s dates, head to BobSeger.com.
    • TIDBIT: Live Bullet originally came out in 1976 and was recorded in Detroit. It’s sold over five-million copies.
    • TIDBIT: Nine Tonight was also recorded in Detroit as well as in Boston in 1980. It’s also moved over five-million copies.

PAUL RODGERS AND FRIENDS ON CD AND DVD
    In 1994, Paul Rodgers performed a pretty amazing show at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland and now, it’s coming to CD and DVD. During the set, Paul plays some of his greatest hits with Free and Bad Company plus some covers, all with an incredible line-up including Journey guitarist Neal Schon and Black Country Communion drummer Jason Bonham. If that weren’t enough, Paul’s famous friends like Queen’s Brian May and Toto’s Steve Lukather and others stop by to perform with him. Pick up the 17 track set, called Paul Rodgers & Friends, when it hits shelves on September 13th.
    • TIDBIT: The Montreux Jazz Festival is the second largest annual music festival in the world after Canada’s Montreal International Jazz Festival. The first one was held in 1967.

JOHNNY CASH LIVE PERFORMANCES ON NEW SET
    Next February 26th would have been Johnny Cash’s 80th birthday and to mark the occasion, Legacy Recordings has been releasing a ton of the Man in Black’s material. The latest set is called Johnny Cash: Bootleg Vol. 3 – Live Around the World and features 50 of the singer’s live performances from 1956 to 1979 – 39 of which have never been released. Among them are concert stops at the White House, in Vietnam and elsewhere. Get them all by picking up the double-disc album when it hits shelves on October 11th.
    • TIDBIT: The release coincides with the October 18th publication Johnny’s son’s memoirs. John Carter Cash’s book is called House of Cash: The Life, Legacy and Archives of The Man in Black.

BONO TO MAKE BILLIONS OFF FACEBOOK INVESTMENT
    Bono is about to get even richer. According to The Guardian, back in 2009, the U2 singer’s investment company bought stock in Facebook, which is now valued at one-billion dollars. U2 were recently named by Forbes as the highest paid musicians in the world.
    • TIDBIT: Bono lives in a mansion in the Killiney area of Dublin. His house looks out over the ocean.

HEAR SONG FROM UPCOMING PEARL JAM DOCUMENTARY SOUNDTRACK
    Fans of Pearl Jam will certainly want to check out Pearl Jam Twenty, their upcoming Cameron Crowe-directed documentary that chronicles the band’s whole career. In the film, the group covers Mother Love Bone, their first band before Eddie Vedder joined, and fans can hear their version of “Crown of Thorns” now at PearlJam.com. However, you’ll have to wait until October to see Pearl Jam Twenty, when it airs on PBS.

Why Gibson Guitar Was Raided By The Justice Department

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2...ice-department

This book could not have been written 30 years ago, or even 20 years ago......aside from all the Tommy James & The Shondells hits and his rise to fame, there's an amazing side story here of Roulette Records and Morris Levy, a true mafia tale like never told before. Thanks to Tommy for telling like it was! This story is in the works for a motion picture.

BUY IT NOW!
    http://www.amazon.com/Me-Mob-Music-H...9/punmastercom

Tommy James - Me, The Mob, & The Music
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7enAd3jK9k

Crimson & Clover
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_92UTRYwWkI

Crystal Blue Persuasion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PViBO7IpAfM

Thanks to Cary Baker...

BUCK OWENS’ PRE-CAPITOL RECORDS RECORDINGS
    COLLECTED ON BUCK OWENS — BOUND FOR BAKERSFIELD 1953-1956,
    DUE ON ROCKBEAT RECORDS ON SEPTEMBER 27

Owens’ tracks for Pep, Chesterfield and La Brea Records, recorded in Hollywood and Bakersfield, illustrate the roots of Owens’ sound with collaborators like Fuzzy Owen and Corky Jones

LOS ANGELES, Calif. — Buck Owens is synonymous with the Bakersfield sound of country music that also gave rise to the Maddox brothers and Rose, Tommy Collins, Ferlin Husky and in later years Merle Haggard.

Owens’ earliest recordings for independent labels in Southern California — ahead of his lucrative career on Capitol Records in the ’60s and ’70s — have been collected on Buck Owens — Bound for Bakersfield 1953-1956: The Complete Pre-Capitol Collection, scheduled for release on September 27 on RockBeat Records through e0ne Entertainment. The suggested retail price is $14.98.

The 24-song reissue opens with selections from his first known session in 1953 in Hollywood, which produced two singles (“Down on the Corner of Love” b/w “It Don’t Show on Me” and “The House Down the Block” b/w “Right After the Dance”) on Claude Caviness’ Pico Rivera-based Pep Records. It closes with a 1956 Bakersfield session that produced singles on Chesterfield Records and an album on La Brea Records. Included are previously unreleased alternate takes including an overdubbed version of “Hot Dog.”

Liner notes for Bound for Bakersfield were written by Rich Kienzle, a music historian with special expertise in West Coast country. RockBeat VP or A&R James Austin and Jim Shaw of Buck Owens’ Buckaroos compiled the collection.

According to Kienzle’s notes, “Buck Owens was 21 when he rolled into Bakersfield from Phoenix in May, 1951, a part-time musician and laborer who had his eye on a musical career. It would take some time. There were lessons to be learned and dues to be paid. But in the final analysis, the Buck of legend, of the raw honky-tonk vocals, catchy commercial tunes, twangy Fender Telecasters and churning, aggressive ‘freight train’ rhythms was forged in Bakersfield's honky tonks and recording studios there and in L.A. from 1951 to 1957.”

Owens is best known for his later Capitol Records hits like “Tiger by the Tail,” “Foolin’ Around” and “Act Naturally.” But his ’50s pre-Capitol recordings find him working in a honky tonk milieu (except for the rockabilly tracks such as the 1957 single “Hot Dog”). One can hear early flashes of the distinctive sound he'd perfect at Capitol, the sound that made him famous.

With his indie singles earning him both regional recognition and buzz from A&R departments at both Capitol and Columbia Records, Owens passed on New York’s Columbia (whose producer told Owens to “hold on” until he could come to the West Coast) in favor of Hollywood-based Capitol Records, which made him an offer on the spot. Owens was known to Capitol from his work on sessions by one of the originators of the Bakersfield sound, Tommy Collins. Buck’s own first Capitol session in 1957 aimed for a pop-rock audience, trying, as he later said, “to make the biggest hillbilly in Bakersfield into somethin’ he wasn’t.” In 1959, he was recorded as his true, honky-tonking self, with great success.

Kienzle notes, “Buck Owens was always known for his spot-on instincts. Clearly, his expectation that he’d have no recording career beyond Pep and the odd demo or two was a rare miscalculation. These raw, primal performances, blended with hundreds of hours onstage at the Blackboard (club in Bakersfield), were essentially part of a long rehearsal for the fame that came soon enough.”

Track List:
    1. Blue Love (with Studio Chatter) (1953)
    2. Down on the Corner of Love (Alternate Take) (1953)
    3. Down on the Corner of Love (1953)
    4. It Don’t Show On Me (Alternate Take) (1953)
    5. It Don’t Show on Me (1953)
    6. The House Down the Block (Alternate take) (1953)
    7. The House Down the Block (1953)
    8. Right After the Dance (Alternate Take) (1953)
    9. Right After the Dance (1953)
    10. Hot Dog (1955)
    11. Hot Dog (Overdubbed Single) (1955)
    12. Rhythm & Booze
    13. There Goes My Love (Alternate Take) (1956)
    14. There Goes My Love (1956)
    15. Sweethearts in Heaven (Alternate Take) (1956)
    16. Sweethearts in Heaven (1956)
    17. Honeysuckle (1956)
    18. Country Girl (Leavin’ Dirty Tracks) (1956)
    19. You’re Fer Me (1956)
    20. Blue Love (1956)
    21. Please Don’t Take Her From Me (1956)
    22. Three Dimension Love (1956)
    23. Why Don’t My Mommy Wanna Stay with Daddy & Me? (1956)
    24. I’m Gonna Blow (1956)

Yoko Ono Extends Free Online Screening Of Bed Peace

Yoko Ono has extended the free screening of ‘Bed Peace’, the documentary of the 1969 John & Yoko bed-in for peace.

In a statement at the imaginepeace.com site, Yoko says, “In 1969, John and I were so naïve to think that doing the Bed-In would help change the world.
    Well, it might have. But at the time, we didn’t know.

“It was good that we filmed it, though.
    The film is powerful now.
    What we said then could have been said now.

“In fact, there are things that we said then in the film, which may give some encouragement and inspiration to the activists of today. Good luck to us all.

“Let’s remember WAR IS OVER if we want it.
    It’s up to us, and nobody else.
    John would have wanted to say that.

Love, Yoko”

‘Bed Peace’ was directed by Yoko & John and filmed by Nic Knowland. It is a document of the Montreal events and features John & Yoko in conversation with, amongst others, The World Press, satirist Al Capp, activist Dick Gregory, comedian Tommy Smothers, protesters at Berkeley’s People’s Park, Rabbi Abraham L. Feinberg, quiltmaker Christine Kemp, psychologists Timothy Leary & Rosemary Leary, CFOX DJs Charles P. Rodney Chandler & Roger Scott, producer André Perry, journalist Ritchie York, DJ & Promoter Murray The K, filmmaker Jonas Mekas, publicist Derek Taylor & personal assistant Anthony Fawcett.

The movie features John Lennon performing an acoustic version of The Beatles ‘Abbey Road’ song ‘Because’.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRjjiOV003Q

CA Supreme Court won't hear Phil Spector appeal

The California Supreme Court on Thursday refused to consider legendary rock music producer Phil Spector's appeal of his murder conviction.

Spector's attorneys have argued that during the trial, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler prejudiced the case by allowing prosecutors to use pictures of him in closing arguments as if he was a witness.

They also have said Fidler improperly allowed jurors to watch a videotape of him explaining testimony by a witness about forensic evidence at a hearing outside the jury's presence. By allowing jurors to watch the tape and see the photos, Fidler turned himself into a witness and violated his neutrality, attorneys said.

An appeals court refused to consider the issue in May. That court has said there was enough evidence to convict Spector of the shooting death of actress Lana Clarkson at his Alhambra mansion in 2003.

Spector, famous for his work with The Beatles, The Righteous Brothers and others, is serving 19 years to life in prison on a second-degree murder conviction.

Thanks to Rip Rense

GARFUNKEL GAVE LENNON REUNION ADVICE

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...reunion-advice

"Buddy Holly" tribute album lacks spark

By Chris Willman

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Buddy Holly never lived to see his 23rd birthday, but that isn't stopping anyone from celebrating his 75th this week, with the rather belated installation of a star on Hollywood Boulevard and the release of yet another all-star tribute. Maybe now he'll finally be recognized by the youth of America for something other than stealing Elvis Costello's look, right?
    "Listen to Me: Buddy Holly" is the second Holly tribute to come out in two and a half months, so you'll be forgiven if you need someone to sort out the confusion -- especially since each one features a Beatle. The first was "Rave On Buddy Holly," released in late June and leaning toward indie-rock types like the Black Keys, Florence + the Machine, and Modest Mouse, though Paul McCartney put in a screaming appearance.

This week's unrelated follow-up sticks almost entirely to mainstream elder statesmen, with Ringo Starr as the requisite Fab on duty. Peter Asher served as executive producer, which is significant, since he set the first real posthumous Holly renaissance in motion in the mid-'70s by recording Linda Ronstadt's reputation-reviving versions of "That'll Be the Day" and "It's So Easy."
    Ironically, perhaps, the two albums suffer from opposite problems. The alterative artists on "Rave On" were apparently encouraged to retool Holly's songs so considerably that the melodic life sometimes got snuffed out of them. As for the new "Listen to Me," Asher's sensibility isn't exactly what anyone would call edgy, and there's stodginess to a lot of the contributions that could have benefited from a bit of the other album's adventurous approach.

Two highlights come early: Jackson Browne was born to sing the ballad "True Love Ways," and British rockabilly queen Imelda May finds the fire in "I'm Looking for Someone to Love." Most everything else counts as either boomer-safe or in the bizarre curio category.

A couple of newish groups make their way into the mix. The Fray do an outright U2 impersonation on "Take Your Time," so if you ever wanted to hear Bono sing Buddy, here's your chance (sort of). The weirdest choice is Cobra Starship, whose mixed-gender lead singers do a sort of contempo-Human-League take on "Peggy Sue" that almost clicks, in the corniest possible way.
    But Brian Wilson's "Listen to Me" and Ringo's "Think It Over" are just the kind of passable, going-through-the-motions efforts you might expect from their latest recordings. Ronstadt reunites with Asher to remake their remake of "That'll Be the Day," sans the spark of their 1976 recording.

Shorn of her usual studio tricks, and letting her voice go nearly punk-rock-ragged, Stevie Nicks sounds unrecognizable on "Not Fade Away" -- almost like a distaff Billy Corgan! -- which might have been rewarding if the slick backup track were half as rough as she is. Sticking closer to vocal type, Train's Pat Monahan gives "Maybe Baby" an overly sweetened modern spin that isn't just maybe but definitely dullsville.

The album ends with a couple of wan contributions from actors, including an "It's So Easy" that has Zooey Deschanel playing it overly straight. That's followed by Eric Idle doing "Raining in My Heart" in a variety of comic voices -- complete with goofy sound effects -- that not even the most hardcore Python fan could find funny.
    Even with all-star friends like these, Holly still needs better buddies.

Thanks to Cary Baker....

CONCORD MUSIC GROUP
    REISSUES CLASSIC REPRISE RECORDINGS
    BY THE CHAIRMAN AND THE COUNT

Frank Sinatra & Count Basie: The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings set for release on September 6, 2011

LOS ANGELES, Calif. — By the early 1960s, Frank Sinatra and Count Basie had already cemented their respective reputations as two of the most versatile and enduring entertainers of the 20th century. When these two titans united in the studio for recordings on Reprise — Sinatra’s own label, which he’d launched at the start of the decade — the results were historic. The first album was simply titled Sinatra-Basie: An Historical Musical First, a 1963 release that climbed to the top five on Billboard’s pop album charts over the course of a 42-week run. A year later, It Might As Well Be Swingrose to #13 during a 31-week stretch on the same charts.

On September 6, 2011, Concord Records will reissue both of these recordings in a single collection, Frank Sinatra & Count Basie: The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings. Under license from Frank Sinatra Enterprises (FSE), the 20-song compilation is enhanced via digital restoration and remastering, and includes brand new liner notes from music journalist and historian Bill Dahl that provide historical context for these pivotal recordings. Also included are original anecdotes from Quincy Jones, who produced It Might As Well Be Swing.

“It’s virtually impossible to imagine a more swinging combination than Frank Sinatra — the premier pop vocalist of an adoring generation — and the mighty orchestra of Count Basie,” says Dahl in his liner notes. “Such a scintillating summit meeting actually unfolded not once but twice in the studio. This collection brings together both of these historic album-length collaborations, first out on the label Sinatra founded, Reprise. It’s a thoroughly satisfying soiree.”

Dahl provides background information about the history of Basie’s orchestra in the decades leading up to the two recordings. He also discusses Sinatra’s transition from Capitol to Reprise and the artistic freedom that came with it, as well as Neal Hefti’s arrangements for both albums, Quincy Jones’ production of the latter, and brief annotations of every song in the collection.

“Another memorable collection between the Chairman and the Count would soon be recorded for posterity by Reprise, [with Jones] arranging and conducting 1966’s Sinatra at the Sands,” says Dahl. “But even performing for those hip high rollers in Vegas couldn’t top what Sinatra and Basie accomplished during these two studio collaborations. This was musical history in the making, as fabulously fresh and frisky now as it was back then. Let the swinging commence.”

TRACK LIST
    Pennies from Heaven
    Please Be Kind
    (Love Is) The Tender Trap
    Looking at the World Thru Rose Colored Glasses
    My Kind of Girl
    I Only Have Eyes for You
    Nice Work If You Can Get It
    Learnin’ the Blues
    I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter
    I Won’t Dance
    Fly Me to the Moon (In Other Words)
    I Wish You Love
    I Believe in You
    More [Theme from Mondo Cane]
    I Can’t Stop Loving You
    Hello, Dolly! (from Hello, Dolly!)
    I Wanna Be Around
    The Best Is Yet To Come
    The Good Life
    Wives and Lovers

Thanks to Cary Baker....

AUSTIN, TEXAS’ NAKIA, SEEN BY MILLIONS ON NBC’S TOP-RATED THE VOICE, MAKES PLANS TO TOUR AND RECORD

Using new exposure and connections to best benefit, Nakia returns to what he does best: writing and singing great soul-steeped music.

AUSTIN, Texas — To millions of American television viewers, Nakia — a semi-finalist on NBC’s hit reality program The Voice — was a new artist. Not so in Texas, where, known for his larger-than-life, soulful performances and ability to connect with an audience, he had won regional accolades and airplay with his EP Playing the Cards and album Water to Wine. He had a regular gig at South Austin’s Saxon Pub with his band the Blues Grifters. Life was good. But a wonderful and unexpected turn of events was about to transpire.

A casting agent for NBC found some performances by Nakia (pronounced nah-kee-uh) on YouTube. They eventually made their way to producer Mark Burnett, who, after watching Nakia’s searing performance of the blues classic “Double Trouble,” insisted that the performer audition for his new show, The Voice, starring Cee Lo Green, Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton.

Nakia’s bluesy rendition of “Forget You” earned him a spot on Cee Lo Green’s team and quickly made him a fan favorite. His show-stopping performances over a period of weeks earned him a spot as one of eight top finalists. Following the show’s finale, Nakia joined the seven other semi-finalists on a coast-to-coast concert tour of theaters.

“Being on The Voice has opened a lot of doors for me and I’ve been working hard to explore all of those options so I make the best decisions about which doors to walk though,” Nakia says. “More importantly, it’s given me access to a lot of new fans who are discovering who I am as an artist. I am excited to connect with them face-to-face on the road.”

After the show was over, Nakia remained in Los Angeles, met and worked with many of the great songwriters he met through The Voice circles, and has begun work on a new album. He will spend much of August and September reconnecting with his fan base in Texas.

“I plan to find ways to keep the fans connected throughout the entire process by incorporating live video streams, videos, blogs and demos via my social networks and official web site.”

Nakia has won notice in circles outside The Voice and Austin. Neo-soul star Sharon Jones said of him, “Nakia is the real deal, y’all. He’s got some serious soul. And that’s what Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings are all about.” Added Michelle Shocked, “I absolutely love Nakia. I love his singing, his songwriting and, most importantly, his soul.” And the Austin Chronicle, at work on a major feature on the artist, declared, “The Appalachian-born belter is one of Austin’s most talented singers.”

It’s been a long road from the Appalachian foothills of Alabama where Nakia Reynoso, the son of a Latino father and a mother of Irish stock, began singing at age five and never stopped. You don’t grow up in the shadow of 3614 Jackson Hwy., the original home of the Muscle Shoals sound, without picking up a dose of the Southern-seasoned soul that coursed through the veins of so many Southern soul performers before him.

Having come to the attention of millions of music fans via The Voice, Nakia will continue performing his authentic music on a larger playing field.

“CALIFORNIA DREAMS” TOUR HITS SAN JOSE AND KATY PERRY MAKES “FRIDAY NIGHT’ COME ALIVE IN HP PAVILION SHOW

According to all my family and most friends, it was very strange that I would be interested in attending a Katy Perry concert let alone buying my tickets 6 months in advance.
    But alas, this now 63 year old Dad (birthday 8/13) enjoys most of her “poppy” tunes, so what the heck!!!!

So last night at HP Pavilion in San Jose, two of my co-workers (I must admit they are of the opposite sex and much younger) and myself sat 4th row off the stage to witness what had been reported as a very amazing show, highlighted by a very extensive production effort-the set, the video screen elements, the male and female dance troupe, as well as the “cotton candy” aroma wafting throughout the seating area of the 13,000 sold out venue.

The evening opened with a 40 minute or so warm up act from a female Danish performer known as “Oh Land” who in my opinion only had a couple interesting tunes, yet seemed to keep the audience entertained.

Then came DJ Skeet Skeet to cover what appeared to be a long set up change as stage hands scurried about getting final stage set up ready for Katy.

Time now for “Katy Goes to Candy Land” with her extensive video backdrops, with a narrator supplying the storyline involving a butcher in his butcher shop, cupcakes, candy canes, strange brownies and a kitty and well done animation to introduce many of the tunes. It looked like “Alice in Wonderland” in spots. The show included 5 acts and an encore with many costume changes during the evening. The encore came complete with whipped cream guns being shot out into the crowd and soaking many of the enthusiastic guests.

One of the least interesting acts was the portion of Act 4 where she played “Katy-aoke” and performed a set of cover tunes.

The set list went something like this:

ACT 1:
    TEENAGE DREAM
    HUMMING BIRD HEARTBEAT
    WAKING UP IN VEGAS

ACT 2:
    UR SO GAY
    PEACOCK
    I KISSED A GIRL

ACT 3:
    CIRCLE THE DRAIN
    E.T.
    WHO AM I LIVING FOR
    PEARL

ACT 4:
    NOT LIKE THE MOVIES
    COVER MEDLEY:

ONLY GIRL IN THE WORLD
    BIG PIMPIN
    WHIP MY HAIR

THINKING OF YOU
    I WANT CANDY

ACT 5:
    HOT N COLD
    LAST FRIDAY NIGHT
    DANCE WITH SOMEBODY
    FIREWORK-COMPLETE WITH PYRO

ENCORE:
    CALIFORNIA GURLS
    Bottom line, fun evening as Katy delivered exactly what her audience expected to see and then some. She proved she can dance and sing at the same time (no lip syncing) and had the audience exiting with a smile on their faces.

Stu Ganz
    Sunnyvale, California

A note from Rockabilly artist Billy Hancock......
    TOO MANY EMPTY CHAIRS

It doesn't seem like almost two decades since my dear friend and irreplaceable talent Danny Gatton has been dead, but it has.

October 4, 1994 to be exact, just a mere month past his 49th birthday.

Depression coupled with a domestic dispute over the purchase of a guitar is what many report as the breaking point that led to his demise.

At 9:00pm that night at his residence on Lloyd Point Road in the Swan Point area of Newburg, Maryland, Danny was discovered on his garage floor dead from a single gunshot wound to the head.

He was found by his wife Janet who reported the incident to 911.

It is with deep regret that I have to report history has repeated itself. On August 18, 2011, death came to my dear friend Tom Hildebrand and it came in the exact same way.

Tom had been despondent over health issues and domestic discord and his body was discovered by his wife Kathleen (Kat) Hildebrand at their home on 13577 Shannon Hills Road in Louisa, Virginia. He too was dead by a single gunshot wound to the head.

The irony is that Tom had accompanied me to Danny Gatton's memorial service and had remarked, "Why would someone kill themselves ........?"

Tom was a good friend to Danny Gatton and also the late Roy Buchanan who died in much the same way (though not by a gunshot).

Tom was a musician, song writer and a top notch Luthier. He will be missed by those who knew and loved him.

In past years, I have given large parties and invited many musicians & their wives. I'm sorry to write that if I had planned such an event today, there would be far too many empty chairs around the table.

Life is short as it is without self interference. If people would only stop and think things through. Maybe they would not take a permanent solution to a temporary situation.

None of us are getting any younger. There is no reason to make it any shorter. It only hurts the ones who loves you the most.

"The Dancing Stops But The Music Goes On"

Phil Alvin & Marquis Howell - SALTY SONGS & GILDED GAB - Hollywood
    Time: ‎7:30PM Tuesday, September 13th

Thanks to Pete Slauson

Tribute to Woody Guthrie by Country Joe McDonald
    Sept 17th @ "Freight & Salvage" Berkeley

http://www.countryjoe.com/guthrie.htm
    Tells about show and Tribute.

>>> INSERT JOKE HERE <<<

*** PUNMASTER'S TRIVIA CORNER ***

The trivia question from the last MusicWire was:

Hailing from the east coast, this guitarist cut his chops in the early days with teenage friend and bassist who went on to form a pioneering 60s rock group. From rockabilly to country and jazz this guitarist has been cited as one of the best guitarists ever from the press and fans alike but never becoming a household name.

Name this artist to win.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANSWER: THE LATE TELECASTER LEGEND DANNY GATTON

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Gatton

Nice try on Jorma.....although in the scene, the answer is clearly Danny Gatton......who did play with Jack Casady too.

the champions are... (in order of appearance)

Dave Mahler
    Tim Bernett
    Bob Oberg
    Smokehouse Porky Bone
    Jeff Gay

Trivia Question:

Sounds like Jorma to me.

Tom Campbell

Dave, is it the late great and much lamented Danny Gatton?

Dave Mahler

I would think the answer is Jorma Kaukonen?
    Bob Putignano www.SoundsofBlue.com

I know, but he grew up on the east coast with Jack, and went onto form a pioneering 60's rock band, 2 out of 3? Ha.

That would have to be The Humbler - the late Danny Gatton.
    I was lucky enough to see Danny and the Fat Boys a number of times in the DC area way back when. He was scary good. Lowell George called him the best guitar player ever.

-Tim Bernett

"Jorma Kaukonen" is the trivia answer. Guess you had to do an easy one that even I could get after last month's question! Well, if that is in fact the right answer.....

Dammit! I should have known that was too easy....the two guitarists that come immediately to mind are Danny Gatton and Lenny Breau but I can't place a bassist with either of them that went on to create an influential 60's rock band....

Thanx very much for the newsletter by the way.

Cheers,

Bob Oberg
    Aptos, CA

Dave

Sounds like the answer to this trivia question is:

Jorma Kaukonen!

Mike Dolgushkin

Dammit! I should have known that was too easy....the two guitarists that come immediately to mind are Danny Gatton and Lenny Breau but I can't place a bassist with either of them that went on to create an influential 60's rock band....

Does Randy Bachman qualify as the bass player? If so, then Lenny Breau!

Okay, Danny Gatton is the guitarist and Jack Casady is the bass player!

Thanx very much for the newsletter by the way.

Cheers,

Bob Oberg
    Aptos, CA

Hailing from the east coast, this guitarist cut his chops in the early days with teenage friend and bassist who went on to form a pioneering 60s rock group. From rockabilly to country and jazz this guitarist has been cited as one of the best guitarists ever from the press and fans alike but never becoming a household name.

AND THE ANSWER IS....

JORMA KAUKONEN.

Stan Denski

===Gotta be Danny Gatton who mentored Joe Bonamassa...but might be Lenny Breau who mentored Randy Bachman. But I can't be counted as a winner unless I commit to just one answer. Hmm...

I say Danny Gatton on the strength of his recognition as one of the greats.

Yours truly,

Smokehouse Porky Bone

Could it be Danny Gatton?

Jeff Gay

P.S.
    Dave,

If you or your readers love Danny, have them check out Steve Trovato, Johnny
    Hiland and Scotty Anderson. The spirit and the virtuosity lives on - and is
    still little known.

Hi Dave. I would say Jorma, but that seems too easy.
    Paul Cynamon

Hi Dave,

That would be Mr Jorma Kaukonen.

Marc Blaker

*** TODAY'S EASY BAKE TRIVIA QUESTION ***

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the connection with these artists:

Wilson Pickett
    The Marvelettes
    Tommy Tutone
    Glenn Miller
    Brenda Lee
    INCLUDE YOUR NAME WITH YOUR ANSWER OR YOU MAY SLIP THROUGH THE CRACKS!

Only one answer in particular will be accepted...

If you want to be listed...INCLUDE YOUR NAME!

Give it your best shot...you may not get a yes/no response until the next Wire is published.

Thanks!!

The answer will appear in the next MusicWire...

THIS DAY IN MUSIC HISTORY - SEPTEMBER 9

In 1956…Elvis Presley made his first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. Sullivan had Presley filmed from the waist up so that his gyrating pelvis wouldn’t corrupt the nation’s youth. “The King” performed “Love Me Tender,” “Hound Dog,” “Don’t Be Cruel” and “Ready Teddy.”

In 1968…In the studio, The Beatles laid down 17 takes of “Helter Skelter,” with one session of Paul McCartney playing bass on his back.

In 1971…John Lennon released his second solo album, Imagine. It became his first number-one album.

In 1973…Todd Rundgren recorded a thousand of his fans singing in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park for the song “Sons of 1984.” The session ended in disarray after police arrested one crowd member for allegedly dealing cannabis. In the ensuing fight, 11 arrests were made. The performances can be heard on 1974’s Todd. The San Francisco choir can be heard in the left channel, while in the right are the voices of five-thousand fans Rundgren previously recorded in New York.

In 1978…In Dublin, a young U2 supported The Stranglers at the Top Hat Ballroom. The Stranglers and their entourage took up two dressing rooms, which left Bono and company to dress behind the speakers.

In 1978…The Rolling Stones released “Beast of Burden,” which went to number eight in the singles chart.

In 1981…At Amnesty International’s fundraiser, The Secret Policeman’s Other Ball, in London, both Sting and Phil Collins made their first live solo appearances.

In 1992…Van Halen took away the Video of the Year award at the 9th annual MTV Video Music Awards for their “Right Now” clip.

In 1996…Jane Petty filed for divorce from her husband, Tom. The couple separated after 22 years of marriage because of “irreconcilable differences.”

In 1998…In the TV courtroom of Judge Judy, former Sex Pistol John Lydon tried to settle his case with a drummer who accused Lydon of head-butting him.

In 2002…The Russian space agency officially informed NASA that they would not be launching ‘NSYNC singer Lance Bass into space. The aspiring space tourist was unable to pony up the 20-million dollar ticket fee before the required deadline.

In 2003…Coldplay’s Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland erected four giant letters that spelled “hope” on a beach outside of a World Trade Organization meeting in Cancun, Mexico. The band was campaigning on behalf of Make Trade Fair.

In 2003…The family of a 12-year-old New York schoolgirl sued by the recording industry for sharing music on the Internet settled the suit for two-thousand bucks.

In 2003…Velvet Revolver – the super-group made of ex-members of Guns N’ Roses and Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland – signed a recording deal with RCA.

--------------------------------------------

ON SEPTEMBER 10TH…

In 1963…John Lennon and Paul McCartney watched The Rolling Stones rehearse after meeting their manager Andrew Loog Oldham on the street. The pair offered the band their song “I Wanna Be Your Man.”

In 1964…Rod Stewart recorded his first single “Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl” with The Hoochie Koochie Men.

In 1966…The Beatles’ Revolver went to number one in the American album chart, and stayed there for six weeks.

In 1969…In London, John Lennon and Yoko Ono screened their films Rape and Self-Portrait.

In 1973…The Rolling Stones’ “Star Star” song was banned from British radio because of its liberal use of the word “Starf***er.”

In 1975…Kiss released their first live record, Alive. The double-LP set also became their first top 10 album.

In 1976…Bob Dylan released his live album Hard Rain.

In 1979…Patti Smith declared her retirement from live performances before 85-thousand people in Florence, Italy. She said she was giving up the road to spend more time with her husband, The MC5’s Fred “Sonic” Smith.

In 1988…Eric Clapton kicked off an American tour with Dire Straits guitarist Mark Knopfler.

In 1990…The Quincy Jones-produced Fresh Prince of Bel-Air debuted. It starred Will Smith.

In 1995…Cyndi Lauper was the recipient of an Emmy for her guest appearance on Mad About You.

In 1996…Wal-Mart banned the sale of Sheryl Crow’s second album. They announced they would not offer the self-titled CD because the song “Love Is a Good Thing” sang of kids shooting themselves with “a gun they bought at the Wal-Mart discount stores.”

In 2002…Chris Cornell returned to the studio to work with the remaining members of Rage Against the Machine. The Soundgarden singer had left the project, soon to be called Audioslave, in a huff the previous March.

In 2003…At R.E.M.’s Hollywood Bowl show, the band dedicated “Find the River” to the late Warren Zevon, who played with Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Bill Berry in the ‘90s supergroup Hindu Love Gods.

In 2003…MTV reported that The Pixies reformed and would tour in 2004. The group had split in 1993.

In 2003…Scientists announced that they had recorded the deepest musical note ever generated in space at the edge of a black hole. It was a B flat 57 octaves below the middle keys of a piano and one million billion times deeper than can be heard by humans.

--------------------------------------------

ON SEPTEMBER 11TH…

In 1963…In Los Angeles, fans bought the unauthorized Bob Dylan release The Great White Wonder. It is generally credited as the first bootleg album.

In 1964…The winner of a Mick Jagger impersonation contest held in Greenwich, England, revealed that he was really Chris Jagger, The Rolling Stones frontman’s younger brother.

In 1964…The Beatles played The Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida. The band requested that the audience be desegregated.

In 1965…The Rolling Stones’ “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction” went to number one on the English singles chart. This was two months after it became a chart-topper in America.

In 1967…Fresh from the release of Sgt. Pepper, The Beatles headed out in a psychedelic bus with their entourage to begin filming The Magical Mystery Tour.

In 1968…The Beatles recorded 34 takes of “Glass Onion.”

In 1974…The roots rock of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Joni Mitchell and The Band filled England’s Wembley Stadium.

In 1977…It was announced that David Bowie would duet with Bing Crosby for a Christmas special. The two later performed a version of “Little Drummer Boy.”

In 1979…The Who played their first gig without the late Keith Moon. Kenny Jones of The Faces sat in on drums when the band played Passaic, New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre.

In 1979…On the first date of his American tour, Tom Petty unveiled a banner that posed the question “Why MCA?” Petty was complaining because his label Gone Gator had been sold to the industry giant.

In 1984…Nearly 17-thousand Bruce Springsteen fans crammed Philadelphia’s Spectrum to see "The Boss" play the first of a six-night stand. The show set a new attendance record for the venue.

In 1987…Reggae star Peter Tosh was murdered in Kingston, Jamaica. The former Wailer’s home was invaded by robbers, who shot the “Legalize It” singer. Police apprehended only one of the three murderers.

In 1987…At the MTV Video Music Awards, Peter Gabriel’s “Sledgehammer” won Video of the Year.

In 1995…Green Day turned down an invitation to play on Sesame Street because they “couldn’t handle a mosh pit full of five-year-olds.”

In 1996…David Bowie became the first artist to release a new single on the Internet 24 hours before it was due to hit radio. The song was “Telling Lies.”

In 1996…Michael Hutchence of INXS pleaded guilty to assaulting a photographer who waited to ambush him outside a hotel. He was staying with Bob Geldof’s ex-wife Paula Yates. Hutchence was fined 600 dollars.

In 2000…The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland unveiled The Jimi Hendrix Surround Sound Theater and Exhibit.

In 2003…In the midst of big autumn tours, Bruce Springsteen, Cher, Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac refrained from playing on the second anniversary of the September 11th, 2001 attacks.

In 2004…Fred Ebb, the lyricist for the classic musicals Cabaret and Chicago, died at his New York home.

VIDEO CLIPS OF THE WEEK
    ------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Mike Hart

Bob Dylan & Tom Waits Theme Time Radio Hour (audio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwqpKq7NKCM

Thanks to Pete Cartwright

cookie monster as tom waits

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_929539.html

Melanie 'Lay Down' 1970 - doing her thing for enthusiastic Dutch audience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOExGVgQzRg

If you dig the MusicWire, tell 40 or 50 of your closest friends!

Punmaster's MusicWire

A Trusted Source In Music News Since 1873

http://www.punmaster.com

Punmaster's MusicWire is "STILL" a 'FREE' NEWSLETTER!

If you're planning on purchasing CDs, DVDs or books, etc....PLEASE USE THIS LINK!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...e/punmastercom

Thanks for supporting the MusicWire!!!

You Can Quote Me On That...

I've been through more cold turkeys than there are freezers."
    - Keith Richards

"Mick needs to know what he's going to do tomorrow. Me, I'm just happy to wake up and see who's hanging around. Mick's rock, I'm roll." -Keith Richards

"I don't know anything about music, In my line you don't have to." - Elvis Presley

"I opened the door for a lot of people, and they just ran through and left me holding the knob." - Bo Diddley

"The only Maybelline I knew was the name of a cow." - Chuck Berry

"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B." - Fats Domino

"It's not the size of the ship; it's the size of the waves." - Little Richard

"Hippies? Why, I'm the original." - Jerry Lee Lewis

"The older I get, the harder to get around....gravity's got me down." - Barry Goldberg

“I'm one of those regular weird people.” - Janis Joplin

"There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." - Frank Zappa

"I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart." - Waylon Jennings

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"Rock is so much fun. That's what it's all about -- filling up the chest cavities and empty kneecaps and elbows." - Jimi Hendrix

"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know." - James Brown

"David Gross (Punmaster's MusicWire) is the Arianna Huffington of music news!" - Barry "The Fish" Melton

"The older you get, the better you were!" - Leslie West

"It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia

"Albert King wasn't my brother in blood, but he sure was my brother in Blues" - B.B. King

"More bass." - Jerry Wexler

"I'm as country as a dozen eggs." - Elvin Bishop

"I liked the first sixties better...." - Al Kooper

"I still have all my vinyl. You can’t roll a joint on an iPod.” - Shelby Lynne

"I think I just killed somebody." - Phil Spector

"The problem with history is, the folks who were there ain't talking. And the ones who weren't there, you can't shut 'em up." - Tom Waits

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

"I want my more money & I want my more fame" - Chubby Checker

"When you don't know where you're going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey

"I smash guitars because I like them." - Pete Townshend

"It's a good thing I had a bag of marijuana instead of a bag of spinach. I'd be dead by now." - Willie Nelson

"Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk in order to provide articles for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"You can learn something, both good or bad, watching any guitar player. You learn what to do or what not to do. Over the years I've learned things from Carlos, Mike Bloomfield, Clapton, George, Garcia, Knopfler and let's not forget Robbie Robertson." - Bob Dylan, 2002

"There 'is' a difference between rock and rock and roll; beware of inferior imitations (avoid contact with any musician who doesn't know how to play Chuck Berry music)." - Cub Koda

"This heah is Rufus Thomas....I'm young and loose and full of juice. I got the goose, so what's the use." - Rufus Thomas

"Mike Love, not war." - Scott Mathews

"I have outlived my dick" - Willie Nelson (2008)

"Anybody with a trade can work as long as they want. A welder, a carpenter, an electrician. They don't necessarily need to retire...Every man should learn a trade. It's different than a job. My music wasn't made to take me from one place to another so I can retire early." -Bob Dylan

To see a slew of quotes check out http://www.punmaster.com

You may freely distribute Punmaster's MusicWire material, as long as it bears the following attribution:

Source: 2011 Punmaster's MusicWire http://www.punmaster.com

Please pass on free subscriptions to the MusicWire to friends, associates, and colleagues by sending an email including a first & last name to musicwire@punmaster.com with the word "subscribe" in the subject. SIGN UP DIRECTLY HERE: http://www.punmaster.com

Recent issues are now archived on the Web site. Stay informed and stay in tune!

Cheers,

El Punmaestro (the Punmysterian)

vCash

Re: P U N M A S T E R' S M U S I C W I R E b y D a v i d G r o s s

This is terrific stuff!

EMF

+ Reply to Thread