Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rahman-Toney Results & Discussion Thread 3/18/06

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Rahman-Toney Results & Discussion Thread 3/18/06

Rahman-Toney Results & Discussion Thread 3/18/06

I just don't give enough of a shit about this fight to commit myself to covering it for the board ... BUT, luckily, my good pal & CBZ stalwart Diggity, has volunteered to cover this lash-up for the board.

I may chime in but Dig will conduct the fight review.

So ... Per usual please keep all discussion of this fight to this thread - redundant threads will be deleted ...

thanks,

GorDoom

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Rahman-toney Results & Discussion Thread 3/18/06

Isn't Bucket the biggest closet JT fan you have ever seen??? It's just sooo obvious.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: Rahman-Toney Results & Discussion Thread 3/18/06

Dig:

You know that good bottle of Tuscan wine I'm sending you Monday? Well instead of drinking it maybe you should stick it where the sun don't shine. Just a suggestion or maybe you can share it with you idol, James "I'm so fat I have creases deeper than the Grand Canyon in my forhead" Toney.

(G)

GorDoom

Administrator
    vCash

haha! You are just a fountain of coinable words & phrases this week. (When are you not really?)

Once I get all loosened up, I'll carefully weigh my opportunities of where I can stick it & report back to you. Then I'll send it back & you can give it the sniff test.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

LOL!!! You can take it as well as dish it out ... I like that Dig.

A lot.

GorDoom

vCash

James is grossly fat at 237, I agree he looks horrible.
    Maybe we will all be surprised and this may turn out to be a good one for us fight fans.
    Rahman looks ripped and this is his last chance to get back into the big money and out of bankruptcy after foolishly turning down the largest HBO contract ever offered a fighter.

Administrator
    vCash

R1 - JT looking a little sluggish, Rahman looks strong. Both busy, feeling eachother out. Close round.

Administrator
    vCash

R2 Rahman leads with the jab, JT baits him into the ropes and does his best work thus far. Tough physical fight, Rahman is being smart in close. JTs round.

Administrator
    vCash

R3 - JT landing at will, not effecting Rahman too much but they will take their toll eventually. Rahman still coming forward and strong & JT is so damn fat.,..something has to give.

Administrator
    vCash

JT takes R4 off but still takes it IMO. I can't imagine him finishing a tough fight like this in this condition. Rahman is not the most talented fighter in the world but he is applying true heavyweight pressure.

Administrator
    vCash

R5 - Looks like JT is hitting the wall. Rahman remaining steady while JT is missing looping right hands. Rahmans round.

Administrator
    vCash

R6 - JT shows some life and begins to tag Rahman. He suckers him into the corner and does his best work. Just waiting for him to pass out though.

Administrator
    vCash

R7 - Rahman starts the round very strong, almost like he was willing to step on the gas & go somewhere. Around the last minute or so JT comes alive and takes over with some crisp counterpunching. Rahmans round.

Administrator
    vCash

R8 - JT still losing steam but still has his live moments. The round ends with a great 30 second exchange in the corner, both guys teeing off. Rahman starting to land more and more power shots but JT takes it well. Tough round I may lean towards Rahman. JT's punches are so clean they are hard to ignore.

Administrator
    vCash

R9 - Rahman is starting to slow down also but he takes a round spent mostly on the ropes oddly enough. Both guys starting to look busted up.

Administrator
    vCash

R10 - JT does next to nothing, Rahman still comes forward since its apparent JT cannot hurt him. It's starting to really look like JT's weight finally beat him. Even 10-15 lighter I think he takes this fight with ease.

Administrator
    vCash

R11 - The fight has slowed to a crawl. JT may have eked out the round but I'm impartial at this point. JT obviously blew this and Rahman doesn have what it takes to step on the gas and take a horribly fatigued fighter out. I feel sorry for the fans who are looking for that heavyweight savior, its not in AC.

vCash

So its not quite on the level of an Ali v Frazier fight

Administrator
    vCash

R12 - A bit more life than the past few rounds but still disappointing. Much to my dismay, probably a Rahman round & a Rahman UD.

vCash

Its 4.23 am over here in UK Dig so waiting to go to bed now

vCash

Dig
    Thank you very much my friend it was kind of you to do the fight for us. Just waiting now for the result so will say again goodnight and thanks again

Administrator
    vCash

JT gets a get out of jail free card
    117-111 Rahman & 2 114-114 cards for a majority draw.

I didn't really keep tabs on the score, I thought it was close but I would have leaned towards Rahman. I'm going to need some time before watching that one again.

Well, I'm off to Vermont for some snowboarding and I know that won't disappoint.

Administrator
    vCash

I had Rahman winning 7-5 and I was giving Toney every benefit of the doubt. Dubious decision imo.

vCash

What a dud...shapes of the 80's ... looled like Witherspoon / Tubbs in there ...

Simply put, Toney is very tough, hard to hit and has a great chin...however at his age and especially his weight he cannot sustain a pace needed to win clean...Rachman was too slow to land anything serious...he also seemed tired although he kept trying...

Boring and nothing special...

vCash

Wow, I'll gladly eat crow

Toney lost this fight, plain and simple.

His conditioning finally caught up to him ,the man just couldn't find his 2nd wind after the 4th round.

Credit must go to Rahman though who won through continual pressure and perseverence . . he wouldn't let Toney off the hook, and he really worked his body which paid great dividends.

Toney really dissapointed me. I have said his weight would catch up to him but I didn't think it'd be vs Rahman.

The 3 top HWs of the division are currently Rahman, Toney, and the Klitschko/Byrd winner.

The draw result blows b/c the HW division is further muddled.

I really think the top HW in the world will be found in a Brewster-Klitschko rematch. If you had told me that 2 years ago I'd have thought you were crazy.

But hell Brewster may not even get past Lyakovich.

If that happens the division is officially dead.

vCash

Brewster will win. I belive in him.

The Division ant dead yet.

vCash

Well, if Brewster cannot keep it going then the division is pretty much dead. If he would only fight three, or four times a year. Tonight's fight just proved how pathetic the division is. A 33 year old under-achiever and a 37 year old, fat middleweight and they are what most people consider to be the class of the division, or two of the four! Sad...utterly sad!

Roberto Aqui

Re: Wow, I'll gladly eat crow

Well, it's obvious that the big money boys in boxing want Fatboy around for a Golota type title cycle with all the champs.

I fail to see the genius of Toney. Rahman caught him with rights all night and Toney was swinging wild looking like the club fighter. Where is this magnificient defense I hear about? He didn't show it against Ruiz, and not against Rock.

Let's give some credit. Toney finished the fight, and the Rock was patient, paced himself, and kept the hands flowing, and beat Toney outside and inside. It's a mystery why he didn't try more right hands seeing how successful he was, but maybe he had his instructions, but Toney was open to them.

Rahman would have been beat down by Vitali, Peter, Wlad, and probably Brock, and outboxed by Byrd.

Toney looked like crap. I really have tried my best to suspend my doubts, my derision of him, but Rahman knocked him backwards all night and Toney's best shots were popcorn to Rahman. You have to wonder about his future health if he spars all those rounds and takes this kind of punishment.

Under the cover's of your mother's bed...
    vCash

What a dissapointing fight. Toney lacked the power against a true big man to put him to bed, and was woefully off balance, too heavy to move effectivly and really didnt condition himself enough to win this fight. On the flip side, Rachman fought the best fight he coulf and really didnt show me much. If Toney had more power he would have KOed the Rock, but he just doesnt have it, and he never will. If this is the best Rachman has, which I think it is I think he gets beaten pretty easily by Wlad, Brewster, even Brock.
    Its a shame because Rachman came to Win, fought a good plan and fight, but it seemed like Toney won the rounds, but thr Rock won the overall fight. Really, I think that neither of these guys are close to champ material, I kinda hope Wlad and Lamon win their next fights convincingly; Id really like to see ANY of these guys win ANYTHING convincingly. Once again, a not so gentle reminder how pathetic the division is.

Roberto Aqui

Quote Originally Posted by BDeskins
    Well, if Brewster cannot keep it going then the division is pretty much dead. If he would only fight three, or four times a year. Tonight's fight just proved how pathetic the division is. A 33 year old under-achiever and a 37 year old, fat middleweight and they are what most people consider to be the class of the division, or two of the four! Sad...utterly sad!
    Speak for yourself. I and many others sure don't consider them the class of the division. Toney is a cruel joke, and you best pray he doesn't pay the Ali piper for "defensive genius."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast