Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hopkins-Dawson 10/15

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Hopkins-Dawson 10/15

John Scully Training Chad Dawson, With Assist From Winky Wright
    from Sweet Science

Beloved former world champion and one-time Bernard Hopkins opponent, Ronald "Winky" Wright is in camp in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania, serving as a training advisor to former light heavyweight champion "Bad" Chad Dawson, as Dawson prepares to face the current WBC and Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight World Champion Hopkins on Saturday, October 15, at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California.

Dawson vs. Hopkins, an evening of elite professional boxing entitled "Believe it or Not", will be presented by Golden Boy Promotions and Gary Shaw Productions and sponsored by Cerveza Tecate, AT&T and Ripley's Believe It or Not. It will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View® beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/ 6:00 p.m. PT.

Dawson had been training with the legendary Emanuel Steward for his last fight, a victory over Adrian Diaconu, but geography forced an ending to their partnership and a reunion with former trainer John Scully.

"It wasn't an ugly separation by any means," explains Dawson's promoter, Gary Shaw. "I have a world of respect for Emanuel and I know he's top-notch, but we couldn't get them to travel to one another, so there was no other choice but to move on. Chad's training camp is in Pennsylvania. He didn't want to train in Detroit again for this fight. But with all of his commitments and responsibilities, it wasn't feasible for Emanuel to stay in the Poconos that long. So they've parted ways amicably and John Scully is back in, with Winky Wright providing his expert eye."

So is Wright planning on retiring and becoming boxing's newest high-profile trainer?

"No way," he laughs. "I'm still a fighter. I don't feel like being a trainer. I don't know how to tell somebody to train. I can tell you what you're doing wrong and stuff like that, but as far as telling them when to get up and run; I'm not really into that. I'm here to just fine-tune little things that John and I feel he needs to work on. John is the coach and we are working together very well."

Wright, who will not be in Dawson's corner on fight night, says he likes his friend's chances in this fight. "Bernard is sneaky and crafty, but I think that Chad has a style that can beat him. He's tall and quick, with a good defense and hand speed. He can move, but he's not scared to get in there and fight. Bernard wants to try and take you out of your fight. Chad doesn't need to do that. He needs to do what we're showing him and make Hopkins fight our fight. We can win this."

Dawson says the one/two training punch of Scully as head coach and Wright as an advisor is exactly what he needs at this time. "Everything is going great. I couldn't ask for anything better. I'm in a great position right now. Not only to fight with Bernard, but to work with John Scully who is very underrated as a trainer and Winky who I think beat Hopkins when they fought and is still a great fighter to this day. I'm very excited. I have great sparring partners and it's going great."

According to Dawson, the reunion with Scully will bring about a renaissance in his career. "Scully knows how to go to get me in shape. With him in my corner, you will see a return of the Chad Dawson from 2007/2008 in this fight. I am the best light heavyweight in the world and I'm going to prove it."

Scully says even though it came as a surprise, he's overjoyed to be back to guiding Dawson.

"I was very happy, of course, to be asked to come back to training Chad. I've always said that training him was one of the most positive experiences of my career and I always felt we had a very good working relationship."

He adds that Wright's presence in camp is very welcome and the two are working together in harmony.

"Winky is here to lend support to a friend in the boxing game in Chad. As a former champion and a great southpaw, Winky's knowledge obviously speaks for itself, plus he's been in the ring with Bernard and knows all the little tricks Bernard will try. He has a special insight into the boxing game, and into this fight in particular, that can't be overlooked. He's a very good guy, very respectful, doesn't step on anyone's toes. He speaks up if he sees something that needs to be spoken about. Everyone here in camp with us plays a vital role. It's a team effort and everyone here is working towards that one common goal."

According to Scully, Dawson is showing his hunger to get his title back. "He's looking perfect in camp so far. He's a champion at heart and knows what needs to be done to get ready for a fight like this and he's doing it.

In addition to this championship main event showdown, the televised pay-per-view undercard will also feature Antonio DeMarco vs. Jorge Linares in a 12-round fight for the vacant WBC Lightweight World Title and Kendall Holt vs. Danny Garcia in 12-round bout for the vacant NABO Junior Welterweight Title which will also be an eliminator for the number one rating by the WBC and the number two rating by the IBF.
    Tickets for Hopkins vs. Dawson, priced at $300, $150, $75 and $25, are on sale now and are available for purchase online at www.staplescenter.com, www.ticketmaster.com or via Ticketmaster charge-by-phone lines at (800)745-3000.
    The Hopkins vs. Dawson pay-per-view telecast, which begins at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT, will be produced and distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View® and will be available to more than 92 million pay-per-view homes. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. HBO Pay-Per-View®, a division of Home Box Office, Inc., is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry. For Hopkins vs. Dawson fight week updates, log on to www.hbo.com.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Hopkins headed toward another milestone

Hopkins headed toward another milestone
    By Brian Campbell/ESPN

If you thought Bernard Hopkins' amazing and record-breaking 2011 couldn't be any more improbable, well, you might have another thing coming.

At 46, Hopkins defied both age and history with his unanimous decision victory over Jean Pascal in May to claim the lineal light heavyweight crown, becoming the oldest fighter ever to win a world title. His next scheduled bout, a title defense against former champion Chad Dawson (30-1, 17 KOs) on Oct. 15 in Los Angeles, offers a potentially different opportunity to make history.

[+] Enlarge
    Jeff Fusco/Hoganphotos/Golden Boy Promotions
    At age 46, Bernard Hopkins can make the unbelieveable a reality against Chad Dawson on Oct. 15.
    If Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 KOs) can outwit and outhustle a second top-rated fighter in his prime within the same calendar year, it would almost assuredly earn him enough votes to become most media outlets' 2011 fighter of the year.

Let's be clear: A victory over the highly talented yet often unspectacular Dawson is far from a given for Hopkins. Additionally, there are other candidates who have yet to close the books on their 2011 résumés, including exciting bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire.

Barring any last-minute ballot stuffing, a victory for Hopkins -- who opened as the betting underdog -- should be more than enough to secure him the award.

But what's the significance?

Ring Magazine has named its choice for fighter of the year annually since 1928, and during that span five men have earned the distinction at the age of 35: Joe Brown (1961), Evander Holyfield (1997), James Toney (2003), Glen Johnson (2004) and Sergio Martinez (2010).

Who was the oldest to win the award? The honor falls to a pair of then-36-year-old fighters you might have heard of: Muhammad Ali -- who rebounded to reclaim the heavyweight title from Leon Spinks in 1978 -- and, yes, Bernard Hopkins in 2001.

It has been 10 years since Hopkins defied the odds to dramatically stop unbeaten Felix Trinidad in a middleweight title unification bout that most believed was a swan song for "The Executioner." Clearly it wasn't, as Hopkins went on to record more historically impressive victories after turning 40 than he arguably had notched in his entire career up to that point.

Hopkins now has the opportunity to capture the top two spots -- accomplished an astounding 10 years apart -- as the oldest fighter to win the equivalent of the sport's most valuable player award.

Talk about peaking late.

With his receding hairline and scraggly gray beard, Hopkins has conned many younger opponents and eager gambling enthusiasts into counting him out. But with a performance against Dawson that's anywhere near what the ageless wonder turned in against Pascal, he won't need to con anyone who gets paid to vote on the year-end awards.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Hopkins headed toward another milestone

This will be the second time in a row that I will pick BHop in a fight that didn't take place over 10 years ago.
    That its own record in itself.

vCash

I picked against BHOP for a little period many years ago (around and including the Taylor fights). But as of late, I have always been with BHOP (as much as I dislike him). However, for this fight, I am going with Dawson. As long as he can somewhat pick up his workrate, he has the rest of the tools to beat BHOP.

Administrator
    vCash

That's the key though.
    When was the last time Dawson showed us a work-rate worth anything?
    I think his style lately is prime pickings for even an old BHop all day.

vCash

Dawson is the better fighter on paper. The question is will he fold under the pressure. I don't think so. As Epitome said he has the tools. This may be BHOP last fight.

vCash

can outwit and outhustle a second top-rated fighter in his prime within the same calendar year,

WOW, boast that to Harry Greb, Henry Armstrong, SRR and a 1000 more REAL greats!

it's no secret I'm not impressed by Hopkins, fighters like him and the Bull Hype that sells them as greats is the real problem, more so than the fighters!

anyhow, I have, and will again give him credit, for his top run at his age, and his skillful dismantling of Kelley Pavilik, another great, yeah!

I'll say it again about all of them, they can't compare, and for one simple reason alone... MULTIPLY these Top Rated victories by 4,5,6 X's more, then you've got great fighters, X's yearafter year of the same.

MANY of them would have fallen away, much. much sooner, i.e RJJ v Tarver sort of thing!

sorry Bernard, give us a fight, get the _uck beat out of you and go home!

Lovingly, Jim.

vCash

I have been a Hopkins fan for years. I agree that his style hasnt been fun to watch in a while but I have a great respect for a boxer who is 46 years old and is still not just competative but winning championship fights.

I thought his career was over after his back to back loses to Taylor back in '05 when he was just a young buck at 40, lol. Its amazing to me that he bounced back to move up a division and beat Tarver.

Is he boring to watch now a days? yes. But what do we expect from a 46 year old? He can't just stand and bang away or use lightning fast combos to win. The fact that he can stay in amazing shape and adjust his style for what he has lost in reflexes and speed to beat top fighters at 46 is amazing. He is a perfect example of how the human body can slow down aging if living the right lifestyle.

Even though he can sometimes be a jerk I always wish him the best in the ring.

vCash

You know something..

We pay 60 bills and watch these ... lay down, duck the best fighters, head-butt in between punches, waste of time fighters. Or these nobody, fought nobody, want all the money in the world to fight nobody, pranksters..plastered hands...I mean what is the deal with boxing? Where at the hitters, the love to rumble in the jungle guys, the just-because guys?

Bernard Hopkins is one of the head-bangers I need to stand up and keeps standing up.

All-time Pro, Champion, and No-Nonsense Stand-up guy, banging heads with the Young Lions or this sport we love.

Love him or hate him, you gotta love him.
    Last edited by JLP 6; 09-30-2011 at 04:39 PM.

vCash

I think the saying goes, love him or hate him, you gotta respect him!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Over 20 Years Later Hopkins Still Finds Reasons To Excel

Administrator
    vCash

Hopkins-Dawson 10/15

I thought there was a thread on this somewhere but I can't find it.

If you gave me this matchup a few years go, I'd pick Dawson all day.
    Today, I can't find too many reasons to believe he could win as Dawson hasn't looked his best in years & BHop somehow looks better each year.
    As long as BHop doesn't hit the wall (and I don't expect he will), I think he out-thinks and even out-works Dawson to a decision.

I was looking forward to this fight but not enough to pay for it.
    Not so much that I had hopes it would be a decent scrap but I've always been curious of this matchup nonetheless.
    There is some potential for a good fight if BHop stays aggressive as he has been lately & Dawson steps up the pace from his earlier days but I think it will play out to a hunt & peck chess match.
    I don't see BHop being as aggressive as late in the face of Dawson's jab (providing he remembers to use it) and I think Dawson will not be so eager to engage when he can't get a beat on BHop.

vCash

Re: Hopkins-Dawson 10/15

head-butt in between punches, >>>>>

banging heads with the Young Lions >>>>>>

ha ha. hops love him or not is not against fighting dirty and never was.

vCash

I agree with Diggity here. A few years ago, I would have bet the farm on Dawson. But, I can't explain it. I don't want to accuse him of having a drug problem (there has been no evidence or accusations to that effect). But, something has happened to him over the last year or so, and he has really declined as a fighter. Swapping trainers at the last minute (no offense to John Scully) can't help his focus either. I hope i am wrong, and he puts it all together again to out-work old Man River. One thing, I won't know, is who won until I read it here, because ain't no way I am going to buy it on pay-per-view. And I doubt many others will buy it either. My guess is it only gets a few hundred thousand buys, tops. This fight should be on regular HBO!

vCash

The inability of the young guys to get rid of the Hopkins, Glen Johnsons, Vitali Ks for good speaks volumes about the modern era of 'fighters'.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Jackson View Post
    But, I can't explain it. I don't want to accuse him of having a drug problem (there has been no evidence or accusations to that effect).
    So what about zero evidence? That doesn't stop peopleon the internet accusing Pac, Holyfield et al.

vCash

Why is this fight on PPV? This fight won't draw flies.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

vCash

I love the way the two Jermain Taylor fights are being totally revised given where each man's career path led. Taylor won both those fights fair & square, particularly the rematch where Hopkins was criticised for not laying it on the line.

Now all of a sudden those are hugely controversial results that the 'experts' (who?) say Hopkins won.

I enjoy Hopkins style either way, think he'll beat the young, passionless Dawson pretty easily.

vCash

If Dawson can step up and exhibit 50% of the natural skill he has, both he and Father Time will finally retire Bernard.

Administrator
    vCash

I think BHop is going to bring it all night against Dawson because he just lives for the chance to win against these young guys he shouldn't be beating.
    You just didn't see the kind of intensity that BHop brought to Pascal and Pavlik when he was fighting Calzaghe and even Jones.
    I believe he is amped for this fight and I can't say the same about Dawson.

Dawson really needs to lay it all on the line and take charge in this fight to win and I'm thinking that just won't happen for whatever the reason this time.
    He has a lot on his hands to deal with just and has not shown the passion he needs to take down someone as driven and skilled as BHop.
    He has the tools and the talent but desperately needs to take the ferrari out of the garage and open it up for a change.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Dawson Has The Style, But Dare You Pick Against Hopkins?
    Written by Frank Lotierzo/Sweet Science

He's baack!

That's right, Bernard Hopkins, who must be considered the top light heavyweight in the world at this time, will meet Chad Dawson, who used to be considered the top of the light heavyweight food chain not so long ago, this Saturday night.

Hopkins, 46, isn't even the fighter he was when he was 40, but he's still the consummate ring technician and mauler. He's built quite a legacy and he's now at the point where nothing he does will take away from it....and with each victory he adds notches to it.

Remember when he promised his late mother that he wouldn't fight past 40? If she were around today she might be chewing him out for breaking his promise and continuing to fight, but you know deep down inside she'd be smiling as she was doing it after all that he's accomplished.

Amazingly after 20 plus years as a professional fighter, Bernard Hopkins has never taken a beating or left the ring where he looked like a beaten fighter. Not once. And once again as the fight with Dawson 30-1 (17) approaches, we have to forge an opinion as to how Hopkins 52-5-2 (32) will fare against his 29 year old challenger.

Does one really have to at this stage go into everything Hopkins brings to the ring as a fighter? How about if we just state that he can do everything, he's super tough mentally and physically, and he's not above going outside the Marques of Queensberry rules if he has to in order to get into his opponent's mind and gain a psychological or strategical advantage and I think Dawson may be vulnerable to this as much as any fighter Bernard has crossed paths with recently once the bout starts. And that's the last thing Dawson can allow Hopkins to do to him or every physical advantage he holds over him will go for naught. 

As to those advantages, height, reach, hand speed and youth, which would make Dawson the favorite any other time if Hopkins weren't the opponent. However, Hopkins is the opponent and he's as good as any fighter you'll ever see at stripping his opponents of their bullets and forcing them to fight uphill. And as we've seen in past bouts that has taken a toll on them and the more desperate they get, the stronger and more confident he emerges as the fight progresses. But, Dawson will have one thing going for him that past light heavyweight foes Antonio Tarver and Jean Pascal didn't have going for them...that being Dawson won't be trying to kill Bernard or take his head off from bell-to-bell for 12 rounds. This was something both Tarver and Pascal set out to do and by the mid point of the fight they were as close to hurting Hopkins as they would've been had they been punching at a bed sheet hanging over a clothes line.

The one mistake Dawson won't make against Hopkins is he won't be fooled into believing he can stop Hopkins or knock him out. I'm sure his trainer, former super-middleweight contender John Scully, is plenty shrewd enough to not let Chad get sucked into thinking he can impose himself physically over Hopkins. Dawson is a natural boxer, he's no puncher and to compound that, Hopkins has a cast-iron chin and will. So any thought by Dawson that he'll be the first to stop Hopkins or go through him is a waste of time. Luckily for Chad, that's not who he is and I doubt even the crafty Hopkins can take him out of his game to the point where he fights out of character.

If the mystique of Hopkins wasn't so legendary, Dawson is a fighter that a plausible case could be made on his behalf that he can win.

As most know by now the older Hopkins is most susceptible to fighters with quick hands who can get off and then step away or to the side, thus nullifying a Hopkins counter. If Dawson just pecks away at Hopkins with his long quick jab, Bernard will either try and time his own jab in between Chad's anticipated incoming shots, or he'll try to push the fight and look to get Dawson to fight him off instead of boxing him. And that's why if Dawson can implement his jab and make it the dominant punch of the fight without being drawn into a street fight, he can give Bernard all kinds of trouble. Which is much easier said than done. 

When all is said and done, Dawson must out hustle Bernard without trying to put any hurt on him. He must touch him and score with his quick hands thrown in multiples - and then give him another look.

Nobody, with the exception of Jermaine Taylor has forced Hopkins to fight from behind in the last decade or more. Even Joe Calzaghe carried the fight to Hopkins and after he got off and scored, waited for a receipt from Bernard, which enabled Hopkins to stay in the fight and that's why it was so close. It's not that Hopkins can't push the fight and be effective as the aggressor, it's just that it's not him at his best. Remember, just three fights ago how un-Hopkins-like he looked chasing Roy Jones all over the ring?

When this fight was first talked about two or so years ago, I favored Dawson and even believed that Hopkins would stay away from Chad because he understood how Dawson's style could trouble him. But things have changed since then and Dawson was soundly beaten by Jean Pascal and despite beating Adrian Diaconu in his last fight, I'm not convinced he's all the way back to where he was from a confidence vantage point before he fought Pascal. And Hopkins is the last fighter in boxing you want in front of you if you're second guessing yourself in the least. 

It's tempting to sit back and deduce that Hopkins is going to fight like a fighter closer to 50 than one in his early thirties one of these nights, and Dawson does have a style that could trouble him, therefore I'll look smart and go with Dawson. But I just can't. I'd rather pick Hopkins and be wrong than the opposite.

In addition to that, it's hard to envision Hopkins losing to a fighter who fights so complacently and may not embody all the confidence in the world once the fight becomes ugly and rough. 

Hopkins wins an ugly lackluster decision. The bigger shock to me will be if Hopkins-Dawson turns out to be half the fight that Hopkins-Pascal II was.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoodle View Post
    If Dawson can step up and exhibit 50% of the natural skill he has, both he and Father Time will finally retire Bernard.
    That's the way I see it. Dawson is the best LHW in the world if he can just pull his head out of his ass.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    Why is this fight on PPV? This fight won't draw flies.
    I agree, in this economy it will draw dismal numbers. I respect both men but Pay Per View? It should be on HBO live.
    No one will buy it on PPV, if they do it will really surprise me. Boxing fans need good fights all the time to bring the sport back.

It would be like paying to see a chess match. I'll tell you what I would pay for though.

An ESPN special showing of Tiger v DePaula, Charlie Green v DePaula, Joe Frazier V Doug Jones, Both Rubin Carter v Luis Rodriquez bouts, Archer V Tiger.
    I'd pay $50.

vCash

Add to that Juan Rocky Rivero fight with Rubin Carter and I'd make it $59.95.

vCash

Respectfully, I'd like to see BHop put to bed, layed down nicely, sweet dreams with a little pat on the head and a kiss on the cheek!

night night, Bernie. zzzzzz's

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Hopkins-Dawson Pre-Fight Report Card by Cliff Rold

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Re: Hopkins-Dawson Pre-Fight Report Card by Cliff Rold

George Foreman: Bernard Hopkins could 'box till he's 60'

Bernard Hopkins recently displaced George Foreman as the oldest fighter to hold a pro boxing title. Hopkins, 46, will defend his title against Chad Dawson in Los Angeles on Saturday.
    By Bill Dwyre/La Times

One old guy was talking to another old guy the other day, and there were no hearing aids needed. It was amazing.

More amazing was the topic of their conversation, boxer Bernard Hopkins.

"I've only spoken to Hopkins two or three times," George Foreman said, "but I like him. He's not afraid."

Foreman being asked to speak about Hopkins was only natural because, on May 21, Hopkins beat Jean Pascal in Montreal to become a world light heavyweight champion. He was 46 years, 4 months and 6 days old, the oldest ever to hold a pro boxing title. When Foreman won his last heavyweight title, beating Michael Moorer in Las Vegas in 1994, he had become the oldest, at 45 years and 10 months.

"I was rooting for him," Foreman said. "I'm happy the bar has been raised. I always said I'll fight till I get enough money, not till I get enough whupping."

Foreman said he is rooting for Hopkins to keep fighting.

"You might as well," Foreman said. "There's not gonna be any Social Security left."

Hopkins is neither resting on his laurels, nor in a big easy chair in some rest home. He will defend his title Saturday night at Staples Center against Chad Dawson. You can pack up the kids and come on down, tune in on HBO pay-per-view, or ignore the entire thing based on the reasonable premise that a 46-year-old man with 59 pro fights (52-5-2) ought to know better.

Hopkins is nothing if not confident. Some might say he is full of himself.

"I love being 46 and sexy, with the body of a 25-year-old," he said during some of the promotional claptrap that took place for this fight the last several weeks. "My engine is always running."

He also said, "They call me The Executioner for a reason."

Yes they do. For selling tickets and pay-per-views.

Still, as noisy as Hopkins is, and always has been on his own behalf, his achievement is no small deal. Nor is there anyone better suited to speak to that achievement than Foreman, now a doddering 62, who could still knock your block off.

He had won the heavyweight title in his prime, and beat the likes of Joe Frazier (twice), Ken Norton and Ron Lyle, while losing one of the most famous boxing matches in history to Muhammad Ali, the "Rumble in the Jungle" in Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of the Congo). When he quit in 1977, he was 28. When he decided to come back, in 1987, his wife was horrified.

"She said, 'They're gonna kill you,'" Foreman said. "She was used to the guy who helped get the kids off to school and who didn't want anybody messin' with his rose bushes in the backyard."

Foreman said the difference between him and Hopkins is that Hopkins has never stopped.

"He's just gone on with the training, the sparring. He's stayed in condition," Foreman said. "The thing that drives a boxer is that basic fear. It wakes you up in the middle of the night, just thinking that there is somebody out there who can beat you. Boxers never sleep well. You stay desperate. You see that Cadillac in the window and you want it.

"Then you quit, and in two or three years, you find that normal sleep. When I went back to boxing, my wife was afraid to sleep with me. I was edgy and up in the middle of the night and growling."

Foreman said that you can't get the edge back right away and that, before he made his comeback, he studied all those who had tried one before him.

"I read all the books," he said. "Joe Louis, Frazier, Ali. The only reservation I had was guys who tried to come back where they had stopped. They wanted to fight all the big fights right away. But time doesn't stop. The timing of the jab isn't quite there. The reach is different, the defense. And all the old trainers who used to help you are gone."

Foreman started back slowly. He didn't take a title shot until 24 fights, and four years, into his comeback. He lost that one by decision to Evander Holyfield in 1991 and didn't get another world title chance until 1994, when he beat Moorer. That made it 21 years between winning titles. When he beat Moorer, he defended his title successfully three times before Shannon Briggs finally put a stop to the nonsense in 1997.

Hopkins is defending his title just five months after winning it, and Foreman likes that.

"I think he can box till he's 60," Foreman said.

Foreman lives in Houston now, is an ordained minister with his own church, and pays the bills quite easily with the couple hundred million dollars he made as spokesman for the George Foreman Grill.

Hopkins remains the pride of Philadelphia, has an equity stake in Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, and pays the bills quite easily by enticing younger men into the ring with him and then punching their lights out.

Foreman and Hopkins are quite a pair. Think of them as the fine wine of a sport that has always been mostly a shot and a beer.

DETAILS

Bernard Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 knockouts), Philadelphia, vs. Chad Dawson (30-1, 17 KOs), New Haven, Conn.

Title: Hopkins' World Boxing Council light-heavyweight belt.

Ages: Hopkins, 46; Dawson, 29.

Weights: Hopkins, 173.4 pounds; Dawson, 174.2 pounds.

Site: Staples Center.

Time: 6 p.m.

Television: Pay-per-view, $49.95.

Tickets: $25, $75, $150, $300.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Re: Hopkins-Dawson Pre-Fight Report Card by Cliff Rold

Never Wise To Bet Against Hopkins..But Maybe This Time It Makes Sense
    by Ron Borges/Sweet Sience

It is always unwise to bet against Bernard Hopkins but if you must this might be the time.

The 46-year-old reincarnation of “The Old Mongoose,’’ Archie Moore, tonight puts himself on stage, although hardly at risk against former light heavyweight champion Chad “Not Really All That Bad’’ Dawson at the Staples Center in an HBO pay-per-view show there is no real reason to buy, but three.

If you are a fan of Hopkins, geriatrics or history it might be worth the investment to see if the oldest boxing champion in history can outpoint someone like Dawson, a 29-year-old southpaw in the prime of his career who is difficult to hit and seems to have only minimal interest in engaging in all-out combat.

To say Dawson (30-1, 17 KO) is boring to watch is like saying Rick Perry is an idiot – pretty much impossible to deny. Although he once held portions of the light heavyweight title you couldn’t give tickets away to his fights even in his hometown and to watch him on television is to do so only if the other choice is solitary confinement in San Quentin. You accept the lighter sentence.

Having said that, Dawson is two things that could be difficult for Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 KO) at this stage of his career. He can move and is willing to hit and run all night long. In fact, he seems to prefer it.

Some say the fact that he’s a southpaw is an added problem but not for a fighter as well-schooled as Hopkins. He knows how to beat southpaws from a technical standpoint and is in fact 12-1 against them, so the question becomes, can he deal with Dawson’s movement?

Now there’s no question he tore apart Winky Wright, who for some reason is now a technical advisor to Dawson (which is like asking Mike Tyson to be a technical advisor to an opponent of Lennox Lewis’), but Wright was more of a defensive genius than a mover and he was past his prime when he met Hopkins.

The fact of the matter is Hopkins is no longer what he was, nor, at his age, should he be. He is 6-3-1 in his last 10 fights and hasn’t had a knockout since he stopped Oscar De La Hoya in 2004. He was exceedingly impressive in wins over Kelly Pavlik and Jean Pascal (which happened twice even though the judges mistakenly called the first fight a draw) and became the latest in a growing line of men who gave aged Roy Jones, Jr. a beating but he was non-competitive against Joe Calzaghe once Calzaghe decided to bide his time and wear him down. And he has really not faced anyone with Dawson’s legs and long jab in years.

Might Hopkins still find ways to undress Dawson? Yes, yet that doesn’t mean this fight comes without risk. The question will be can Hopkins successfully fight in spurts – as he now does – and still lure Dawson into enough exchanges to beat him down mentally and then physically? That, really, is the only issue because when it comes to technical boxing skill Bernard Hopkins has forgotten more about prize-fighting than Chad Dawson will ever know.

“I understand that for now I'm the Mongoose (Moore),’’ Hopkins said. “As long as I have the desire to continue to win and not embarrass myself and embarrass the sport, I think at the end when it's time to go, it's time to go. I can't think about winning and think about retiring at the same time. That's very counterproductive. So I figure that instead of worrying about what if's, worry about where I'm at now.

“And I think…as a matter of fact I know…I'm in a good place right now. I'd rather be defending a title than trying to win a title. So I'm enjoying the moment while I'm here and I'm going to continue to stack the pages as the pages become interesting, they become meaningful. And I think everybody should just enjoy me while I'm here, because nothing lasts forever and I think we all know that.

“Watch the performance. Watch the ageless warrior systematically break (down) a young, strong, tall light heavyweight that everybody had high hopes for two years ago and now they're reserving that because they're not sure because Bernard Hopkins is fighting him. They don't understand and they don't want to risk Bernard Hopkins making them look like a bad, what they call a predictor. So, I understand that. That's part of respect when they act like that.’’

True that. Hopkins has earned the respect of anyone who has been paying attention to him for what seems like the last 50 years. Although he at times could be a difficult personality, is that not the case with most geniuses? And Hopkins inside a boxing ring is certainly that. In the end he walked his own path and it has led him to become one of boxing’s biggest figures and a Hall of Fame fighter with a depth of knowledge that is unrivaled among today’s practitioners of the dark art of fisticuffs.
    Hopkins wins these days because he refuses to give in physically to the temptations of life and because he is mentally stronger than 10 miles of garlic fields. He has obviously learned all the intricacies of a difficult trade and he learned them in the best incubator there is – the hard-knock gyms around Philadelphia.

He deserves the highest compliment there is, which is to say he is a “professional.’’ That is what Dawson will be dealing with Saturday night. He will be dealing with a highly-educated professional. He may be 46 but it would be unwise for Dawson to give that one ounce of consideration because age is unlikely to determine who wins.

The winner will be the best tradesman and the man who trades most effectively, most efficiently and most often.

“So, Chad Dawson said I'm dirty,’’ Hopkins said with the menacing voice of a paid assassin. “All fights are dirty to me. Some are dirtier than others. So whatever he thinks I can do, he has the capabilities, if he wants to do it back. But the referee's in the ring, the third man they call him, that will oversee anything that he does or I do. I'm coming to win a fight and I don't have to be dirty to win a fight. But I'm in a fight.’’

“When you're in the fight, things happen he might say is an accident. Things happen I might say is an accident. It's up to the referee. The public will believe and see what they see and I leave it like that. I don't complain.’’

In other words, Chad, how about you?

“I just want to go ahead and win this fight, and I'll win this fight big,’’ Hopkins boasted. “I want to embarrass another so-called young gun of the boxing world, and prove that Bernard Hopkins is not better, but just different.

"It takes me a round or two until I know exactly what I have to do in a fight. You can't over study (for) a test, so your natural instincts have to be your guide. The great athletes always adjust. I don't care what sport it is, only an elite athlete can do that.

"The difference in this fight is that I am fighting Chad Dawson who has plenty of credentials. He believes he is the guy to beat me. I have to win to prove him wrong. The problem is whether or not he means what he believes. He has to come out in character and not be the Dawson that he has been for many of his fights.

“His name doesn't match the last three or four outcomes. When you have the name 'Bad' and you're not Michael Jackson, you have to be able to own that. They call me 'The Executioner' for a reason.

“I am knocking on the door of being the oldest 'Fighter of the Year' ever. I always have a motivation, something to push me to win and that motivation is to become the oldest 'Fighter of the Year.'

“I’m not surprised I’m the underdog. Am I the underdog because of my age or because of my resume? It must be my age because I know can't be the resume. I’m 12-1 against southpaws, arguably 13-0 with the Calzaghe fight (a split decision loss). I’m a right handed fighter which is death to a southpaw.’’

More significantly, he’s a well-schooled professional, which these days is death to nearly all the young boxers he faces. If it is to be different for Chad Dawson he’s going to have to prove he’s more than just another graduate student in the class of a pugilistic professor emeritus, and I wouldn’t bet on that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jim glen View Post
    Respectfully, I'd like to see BHop put to bed, layed down nicely, sweet dreams with a little pat on the head and a kiss on the cheek!

night night, Bernie. zzzzzz's
    We can only hope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast