Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hopkins-Dawson 10/15

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Dawson stops Hopkins in 2

Early Results from Los Angeles
    By Francisco Salazar and Rocco Morales at ringside
    from Fight News

Welterweight Nick Casal stopped previously-unbeaten Michael Anderson in the third round of a scheduled eight round bout. Casal (22-4-1, 16 KO’s) landed the more effective punches of the two in the first two rounds. In the third, Casal dropped Anderson (11-1-1, 9 KO’s) with a right uppercut to the head. Anderson got up, but was dropped again by a barrage of punches to the head. Casal went in for the kill after Anderson got up, although he missed with a lot of punches. Referee Marcos Rosales stepped in at 2:51 to stop the fight, even though it looked as though Anderson was not visibly hurt.
    In a crossroads junior middleweight bout, Freddy Hernandez won a tough, workmanlike 10 round unanimous decision over Luis Collazo. Hernandez (30-2, 20 KO’s) was busier in the first two rounds, but Collazo was able to get going in the next two rounds, scoring with combinations to the head and body. Some rounds were very close, but Hernandez took control of the fight again in the later rounds. He dropped Collazo (31-5, 16 KO’s) with a left hook to the stomach in the eighth round and looked the fresher fighter of the two as the bout came to a close. All three judges, including Fightnews.com, scored the bout 96-93 in favor of Hernandez.
    In an all-out war between unbeaten middleweights, DonYil Livingston won a hard-fought six round unanimous decision over Kurtis Colvin. Livingston (6-0, 3 KO’s) stunned Colvin with a right-left combination at the end of the first round. As the bout progressed, Colvin (6-1, 5 KO’s) came on aggressively, but Livingston responded with counter right hands to the head. All three judges scored the bout in favor of Livingston, with scores of 58-56, 58-56, and 59-55
    October 15th, 2011

vCash

Re: Hopkins-Dawson 10/15

We're going to find out if Dawson has the heart of a Champion.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: Early Results From Los Angeles

Unbeaten super lightweight Danny Garcia (22-0, 14 KOs) won a twelve round split decision over former WBO 140lb champion Kendall Holt (27-6, 15 KOs) in an IBF title eliminator. Scores were 117-111, 117-111 Garcia, 115-113 Holt.

Opening the “Believe It or Not” pay per view telecast, Paulie Malignaggi won a 10 round unanimous decision over Orlando Lora. Malignaggi was wobbled by a right hand to the head in the first round by Lora, but was mostly able to outbox the Mexican fighter the rest of the fight. Lora would land an occasional right hand as he pressed the action, but Malignaggi would two-three punches for every one that Lora landed. All three judges scored the bout in favor of Malignaggi by scores of 100-90, 99-91, and 98-92. Fightnews.com scored the bout 97-93 in favor of Malignaggi.

vCash

I understand the fight is over. That's all I know. Somebody give me a report on what happen.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Dawson stops Hopkins in 2

By Francisco Salazar and Rocco Morales at ringside

WBC light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins (52-6-2, 32 KOs) lost his title against Chad Dawson (31-1, 18 KOs) on Saturday night at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California. The bout ended when in round two when the 29-year-old Dawson hurled the 46-year-old boxing legend Hopkins to the deck and Hopkins injured a shoulder. Referee Pat Russell ruled there was no foul, therefore TKO win for Dawson.

vCash

Has boxing turned into the WWE?

vCash

Re: Dawson stops Hopkins in 2

Hurled him to the deck and it was ruled no foul? This I have got to see. Did anyone see this fight and was this a definite foul?

vCash

Ron -- here are some links -- the quality is not great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3IrKbdk0ko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEooks5UjoI

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton View Post
    Hurled him to the deck and it was ruled no foul? This I have got to see. Did anyone see this fight and was this a definite foul?
    Hopkins was going the subtle foul route. He was across the back of Dawson, looked like he was starting to press the elbow into his neck. Dawson shook/shouldered him off hard (and at seemed to reach at the right leg) and Hopkins appeared to get a shoulder stinger. I'd bet money it gets overturned to a NC but at real speed it wasn't AS flagrant like Echols-Hopkins or Hamed-Soto. Dawson was making the statement he should have, winning the fight and letting Hopkins know he wasn't gonna be Zivic'd all night.

Ass ending. Interesting psychology.

vCash

Hopkins was crying like a bitch during the Calzaghe fight as well.

vCash

Here are some salient points to remember. I will cover all of them and then tell you how I feel about it.

1.If a boxer falls to the floor claiming a low blow that the referee did not see, and fails to arise, he loses on a TKO.
    2. If a boxer is the recipient of an INTENTIONAL foul, and the referee calls Intentional foul major or minor and the boxer cannot continue, he wins on a DQ.
    3. Roughhousing, Wrestling, Unsportsmanlike conduct, hurling a boxer to the canvas is a foul.
    4. Hopkins leaned onto Dawson's back, a case can be made that Dawson could have weaved out of it, stepped back and maneuvered his way out of it or have the referee get Hopkins off of him.
    5. The film shows Dawson heaving Hopkins off of him intentionally rather than using another tactic.

6. Hopkins lands on his behind and there does not appear to be any impact to his shoulder.

7. The strongest case here can be made for a no contest, as the foul of roughhousing, wrestling, was not as flagrant as it could have been although others might argue it was absolutely intentional.

8. Ruling it a TKO because Hopkins made the referee think he was "Acting" or feigning an injury still does not fly as he was not felled by a legal blow.

A no contest would be acceptable or a DQ against Dawson for intentionally hurling him to the canvas.

I would opt for a no contest.

Ron

vCash

I would add that pro boxing and pro boxers have got to be able to take a push or a shove now and then like we did as police officers without crying, quitting and going for an academy award each time. This is why MMA appeals to the masses, they want to see a good pro fight without all the crying and quitting.

vCash

I would also add that the way Hopkins leaned on Chad Dawson, I believe Dawson simply wanted to get him off of him rather than deliberately commit a major foul.
    In pro boxing, you cannot hurl the opponent to the canvas, you have to punch him there. All in all bad for boxing, bad for Hopkins' legacy and bad for the paying customers. A TKO is not sitting well tonight with boxing fans, more of a NC.

vCash

I would have had a much better view up close in that ring, but seeing it over and over again, I think Hopkins leaning on him in that manner just forced Dawson to get him off of him. I could not in good conscience rule it a major intentional foul, thus a NC would be appropriate based on Hopkins refusing to continue. He was not felled by a legal punch nor was it a flagrant intentional foul based on the way Hopkins leaned over Dawson's back.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton View Post
    I would add that pro boxing and pro boxers have got to be able to take a push or a shove now and then like we did as police officers without crying, quitting and going for an academy award each time. This is why MMA appeals to the masses, they want to see a good pro fight without all the crying and quitting.
    Amen to that. Let me add I hate that MMA crap, But I see your point.

Banned
    vCash

Thanks bar for the links. You really have to see it to understand what happened.

vCash

Boxing it just gets worse & worse

NOW before anybody starts, and I did this for AA vs. Dirrell, REAL TIME was less than 2 seconds in that bout...

for Dawson vs. BHop, from the above link footage, it looked less than 1 second.

correct me if I'm wrong Ron, NO FOUL! Dawson reacted to a man hanging over his shoulder, stood up and heaved him off, all in approx 1 second, the grabbing of his leg would have been a natural reaction in this circumstance.

ALL in a split second, just reaction.

Was BHop hurt, or did he want out for some reason, or did he see another opportunity for an easy win by DQ?

vCash

good link here, see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHOFraXlPms

vCash

great fight hey guys??

boxing sucks. Never thought I would say that.

After Mayweather - Ortiz , in the very next major PPV, we get horrible and ridiculous officiating.

A TKO? Sure Hopkins was leaning on Dawson's back, but Dawson was clearly very frustrated with Hopkins style, In between rounds you can hear Scully telling him, "Don't get frustrated and drop your hands like that, I know you want him to fight".

Dawson was fighting much better with Scully in his corner, keeping the pressure on Hopkins and throwing combo's, I still feel Hopkins was winning and appeared to hurt Dawson every time he landing one of his lead rights.

This decision has got to be overruled, Hopkins has his connections, you can see after the fight he tells Schaefer what the ruling is going to be and Schaefer immediately runs off to try and get it reversed.

vCash

A few points

Hopkins landed on his butt and elbow. It didn't look like the kind of fall that would injure a pro athletes shoulder, a 90 year old womans yes, but not a pro fighter. I could be wrong, but that's how I feel after watching the ending 5-6 times.

It was as much a shove as a lift/throw if you look at Hopkins feet they barely left the ground.

Seemed to me that Dawson entered the ring refusing to take any crap from Hopkins, and Hopkins didn't like it.

If you want to see a real shoulder injury watch the Danny Williams V Mark Potter fight.

Afer being 'shoved' like that would the likes of Tiger, Briscoe, Hagler etc have reacted the same way as Bernard "Old School Philly One Man Street Gang Warrior" Hopkins did?

vCash

I saw the fight. Hopkins threw a right hand and they were in an odd position with Hopkins over Dawson but in my IMHO Dawson put his left hand around the back of Hopkins right leg from underneath and then used his shoulder to slam him to the canvas. How is that not a foul? Everyone I watched the fight with thought it was a foul by Dawson. It should be ruled a No contest or a disqualification against Dawson.

vCash

I can appreciate what you say Monte, But in 1 split second - No intent!

more importantly, as the replay cleary shows (and gives us the time)... Dawson ducks and weaves, from that point a fighter will continue and weave again in the opposite direction, or if in no danger move to get up again.

Dawson did but Hopkins had fallen over him with the puch momentum, Dawson gets up, the grabbing of Hopkins leg is an instinctive move in a situation of natural movement, duck, weave, go to get up - man on back - grab and 'heave' him off.

1 second, 1, just reactory movement. No Malice, instantanious far too quick.

vCash

vCash

Bernard Hopkins is such an annoying crybaby when he doesn't frustrate his opponent. This is not the first time. See the Robert Allen fight, and many more. Plus, he probably realized the fight was going to make no Money, so he wants to get a rematch after they change this to a no contest. I am sick of this shit. Fuck you, Bernard Hopkins.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Boxing Scene Report by Jake Donovan:

http://www.boxingscene.com/believe-i...winner---44993

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

WOODS: Hopkins Shoulder Hurt After Dawson Throws Him Down, Fight Ends in 2nd
    by Michael Woods/Sweet Science

Score another one for the theater of the unexpected, and this whacky ending so soon after the Mayweather-Ortiz looniness.

Chad Dawson scored a TKO win in round two at the Staples Center on Saturday night, after he dumped Bernard Hopkins to the mat with a tackle, and the ageless wonder complained his left shoulder was hurt, so ref Pat Russell stopped the bout at 2:48.

Ref Russell said it was not a deliberate act, not a foul. It looked like a deliberate foul on the part of Dawson. It was basically a tackle, as Hopkins jumped in, Dawson ducked, lifted him up, and dumped him. But since Russell didn't see it that way, the choice impacted Hopkins mightily.

Hopkins had ice on his shoulder in the ring as fans awaited the call, having no idea that Russell was going to declare Dawson the winner, because Hopkins, he said, could not continue. Dawson chattered that Hopkins quit, and yelled at him after the stoppage, while awaiting Michael Buffer's announcement. Hopkins, age 46, expressed bewilderment at the ref's decision to award a TKO win to the Connecticut fighter Dawson.

George Dodd of the California Commission said that because the ref didn't call a foul, his TKO call was righteous, when speaking to Max Kellerman after the strange ending.

Dawson said to Kellerman that Hopkins disappointed fans. "Yeah he was faking," he said to Kellerman, when Max broached the subject. "Bernard can't touch me, I was getting closer and closer and he knew that."

Dawson watched a replay, and said he couldn't see how Hopkins' shoulder was hurt. "I'm the new champion, I don't care what the critics say." (For the record, Hopkins has been at times shall we say overly demonstrative at times when fouled, as he was not long ago when Roy Jones rabbit punched him.)

Dawson said he wants Jean Pascal next. "Rematch (with Hopkins) for what?" he said.

Hopkins then spoke to Kellerman, as the fans booed him. He watched the replay. "He picked me up by my two legs and he threw me down.."

He said he told the ref he could continue, and the ref stopped it. Hopkins said he would have continued if he'd been told that the fight would end. Max said in the past he has faked injuries and Hopkins took offense. "They want me out of boxing, this is a way to do it," he said.

What's next? He said Golden Boy will do what they have to. He said the fight should have been a No Contest. "This ain't the UFC, this ain't MMA...he tackled me to the ground," Hopkins said.

Harold Lederman said that a TKO has be caused by a blow. He called this event an accidental foul, and stated the decision should have been a No Decision. "There was no blow to cause a knockout," Lederman said.

Jim Lampley asked Lederman why the Commission hustled Russell out of the ring, and didn't let him be interviewed. Lederman said because ref and commissions are worried about being hassled on camera.

They should have taken a break, and gone to an instant replay. The fans in the arena deserved it, the fans who bough the PPV deserved it.

Looks to me like Russell and the commission messed up, royally, and basically, the fans got the short end of it. Either Russell should have said that Dawson's conduct caused the fight to end and disqualified him, or I think more appropriately, he should have declared a No Contest, because an accidental foul halted the even before four round were completed.

vCash

I thought it was clearly a foul. Hopkins landed on his elbow in a way where it is possible to injure a shoulder. Did he fake it? I dont know.

I actually bought this steaming pile of crap. Shame on me. Boxing blows.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

vCash

Dawson TKOs Hopkins in Two Rounds with a Bizarre Ending: Believe It or Not!

By Gabriel Montoya

Before a surprisingly full crowd, Chad Dawson and Bernard Hopkins finally squared off for a piece of the light heavyweight crown. For much of the two rounds, it wasn’t a bad fight. They started slowly with Dawson working his jab and Hopkins moving back and around the edges of the ring. Dawson stuck to punching while Hopkins used his typical bull rush head first in move coupled with a right hand and topped off with a clinch. But then in the second round’s closing moments, Hopkins moved in to clinch Dawson. As he did, he appeared to either move up on Dawson’s back or be lifted by Dawson who trying to push him off. Hopkins fell backward into the ropes and then hit the canvas, grasping his shoulder. After some confusion, the fight was waved off. Because the throw down was not ruled a foul by referee Pat Russell, Dawson was ruled the winner by TKO at 2:43 of the second round.

The ending of the fight was odd and confusion filled. Hopkins lay on the ground for a long time holding his arm. After a few minutes the fight was waved off by Russell.

“I was backing up, he picked me up with my two legs off the ground,” said Hopkins afterwards. “Look at my feet and then he threw me down on my shoulder. I have a knot on my shoulder. I said I could continue. With one arm I am ready. [The ref and doctor] never told me ‘If I didn’t . . . he never explained to me [if I could not continue] it would be over.”

As Hopkins passed me on his way out of the ring I looked at his shoulder and saw no knot.

“He wanted to rough me up with dirty tactics,” said Hopkins. “He wanted to get me out of there. That’s the only way he knew he could. He knew he wasn’t in there with a 46 year old because I was quicker and faster. That was a blatant foul. It should have been called a no-contest. I didn’t want the fight to go this way.”

Hopkins was under the impression that the fight would be a no contest if it was stopped. From his writer’s very good seat, the person initiating clinches and leading with his head was Hopkins. Every time he tried to manhandle Dawson, Chad would fight him off and work out of clinches and one attempted headlock.

“I’m sorry for the disappointment for the fans,” said Dawson afterwards. “He ran from me for three years. I knew he didn’t want the fight. He keeps talking about being from Philly and being a gangster. He’s no gangster. Gangsters don’t quick. He’s weak. He’s weak physically and a mentally weak minded person. He has no power.”

Dawson’s take was that Hopkins knew he win with a man who did not fear and had the tools to beat him. Thus, Hopkins, in Dawson’s opinion was looking for a way out.

“Yes he was faking. This is the fight I wanted for three years and he didn’t. I was going to get on him and he knew it,” said Dawson. “He jumped on me and pushed me down and I pushed him off with my shoulder. BHop disappointed a lot of fans. I was looking forward to the fight. I trained eight weeks for this.”

As for his future plans, Dawson expressed interest in moving from the Hopkins fight and getting revenge for his lone loss to Jean Pascal.

“Next I want Pascal,” said Dawson. “Rematch? For what?”

When asked about the decision, referee Russell, by all accounts a very good and experienced referee said “It was not a foul. It’s a TKO. He could not continue because of injury. No foul.”

Russell was instructed by the Executive Director of the California State Athletic Commission, George Dodd, to make no further statements. Dodd said “The ref did not call a foul. He couldn’t continue so it was a technical knockout. For now.”

Dodd said that he would confer with Russell and make a statement at a later date.

Golden Boy stated afterwards that they will be filing a protest following the Linares and Hopkins stoppages.

“Chad Dawson is not the champion,” said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer. “We will talk to Jose Sulaiman. We will not stand for this.”

Bernard Hopkins Medical Update: From a released statement: Bernard Hopkins has been released from the California Hospital Medical Center in Los Angeles after being x-rayed and examined by Dr. Sam Thurber, MD who diagnosed Hopkins with a separation of the acromioclavicular (A-C) joint which connects the collar bone and shoulder blade.

The Undercard

In absolute barnburner, lightweight Antonio DeMarco shocked the crowd and took the WBC belt by stopping Jorge Linares in eleven rounds. Early on it was all Linares, who used superior technique, lateral movement and an educated jab to keep DeMarco at bay. But the Mexican warrior showed what he is all about as he pressured his way inside and turned the bout into a brawl. Midway through the fight, Linares suffered a cut to his nose which may have been broken and the fight began to shift.

More and more DeMarco got inside and landed an uppercut up the middle along with right hooks from his southpaw stance. Linares was game but fading under the pressure.

In the eleventh which was among several excellent rounds, DeMarco completely his stretch run and opened up on Linares, landing flush left hands that froze Linares, who stood still then moved back to the ropes. DeMarco was like a man possessed, opening up with everything and going for the stoppage. While Raul Caiz, Sr was a bit quick with it, Linares seemed like he was done as DeMarco landed a couple shots through his guard. Linares did not answer back nor did he complain when the bout, a fight of the year candidate was waved off at 2:32 of the eleventh round.

This was an impressive comeback as Linares was ahead on all cards going into that last round by scores of 99-91, 98-92, and 98-92. In the eleventh, DeMarco outlanded Linares 30-24. It was the only round he outlanded him in.

Junior welterweight Danny Garcia impressed but didn’t exactly excite in beating down Kendall Holt over 12 rounds. Holt flashed his power through the fight but was never able to land on the defensively sound Garcia in succession. Garcia used a hard jab, a looping and heavy right hand that hurt Holt a few times to tame him. While the scores were split, it was a clear win for Garcia who was never hurt. 117-111 Garcia twice and 115-113 for Holt.

Welterweight Paulie Malignaggi took a wide decision over Orlando Lora to take his mark to 30-04, 6 KOs. Using his excellent boxing skill and toughness, Malignaggi survived a first round scare to take control of the slower and less technically sound but game Lora. It was an an impressive display of boxing skill, defense and a very effective jab from Malignaggi. He won running away 100-90, 98-92, and 99-91.

Junior featherweight Manuel Avila improved to 5-0, 2 KOs by dropping David Reyes in the third round with a left hook. While Reyes survived the scores were split in Avila’s favor to the tune of 38-37 Reyes, 39-35 for Avila, and 39-36 Avila.

Sentimental entrant into the cruiserweights Dewey Bozella, a 52 year old making his pro debut looked every bit his age and experience in an odd fight that looked and smelled fishy. His opponent, 0-4 Larry Hopkins, seemed to lay off Bozella despite having a speed and experience edge and the ability to land when he wanted to. At least once he waved in Bozella as if to encourage him. Despite the HBO scores that gave Bozella the back three rounds of this four rounder, I could not find a way to give him a round much less three. In the fourth, Hopkins began to inexplicably spit out his mouthpiece. After the third time, he was docked a pojtn yet he did it three more times, the last as the round ended. He spit it out and then caught it in midair before Bozella landed a hard punch to end the bout. Bozella was awarded the unanimous decision win by scores of 38-36, 38-37, and 39-36.

Welterweight Nick Casal scored a nice KO win in the third over previously undefeated Michael Anderson to improve to 22-4-1 with 17 KOs. Casal dropped Anderson with a right uppercut in the third and followed that up with a left hook for a second knockdown. Ander rose and was trapped on the ropes helpless forcing the ref to stop it at 2:51 of the third.

Junior middleweight Freddy Hernandez surprised veteran Luis Collazo by taking control midway through their fight and overwhelming him with sharp punches and a good body work. Hernandez dropped Collazo in the ninth and almost had him out before finishing his pounded out decision win by scores of 96-93 across the board.

Middleweights Donyil Livingston and Kurtiss Colvin put their undefeated records on the line in an exciting opening bout. Livingston, 6-0-1 with 3 KOs took it to Colvin early using his jab and right hand, shaking Colvin in the first to end the round. As the fight progressed, Colvin worked his way into the fight but every time he surged, Livingston got him under control with a power shot or a solid jab combination. The fight reached a boiling point down the stretch as both men began to exchange much more freely. However the power edge went to Livingston who won the bout by scores of 58-56 58-56 59-55. Colvin drops to 6-1 with 5 KOs.

vCash

I don't know the rules but he did fall on his shoulder .. however clearly remembering the b.s. act Hopkins pulled against Cal he easily could have been acting .... who knows ... who cares ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast