+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tarver-Hopkins Prefight Press & Predictions

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Tarver-Hopkins Prefight Press & Predictions

No its not.
    Here's the story...
    2 over the hill defensive minded fighters who can't fight hard for a full fight anymore, posing all night long.
    Once BHop gets a little of Tarver's power he is going to remember a few things
    -he is over 40
    -hasn't KOd anyone of his size in years
    -he isn't SRR

Years ago I would give BHop a very good shot but he has not shown the activity needed to win this fight in years.

I'm interested for the sake of being interested but this has snore fest written all over it.

At least with Cotto/Malignaggi someones 0 must go and they were born in the past 20+ years.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kurant
    Is this fight worth ordering?

I can't decide.
    Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Bad Karma For Tarver

By Ja Lang G. Greene from Boxing Scene

Hunger, desire, intestinal fortitude, mental toughness, preparation, and work ethic are some of the characteristics needed for a fighter to reach elite status. Fighters toil most of their careers in the hopes of becoming the best in the eyes of the fans. In today’s boxing scene full of alphabet soup organizations offering titles, there are plenty of champs but very few champions. The battle between the aging Antonio Tarver & Bernard Hopkins is a chance to see two legitimate champions of this era square off in the ring.

For Tarver, this fight may bring a dose of unwanted karma. In 2003, Roy Jones Jr. was at the top of the sweet science. After running, through a plethora of middleweights, super middleweights, and light heavyweights during one of the most spectacular stretches of dominance during the last two decades, Jones decided to challenge John Ruiz for the WBA heavyweight title. During an intense training camp Jones bulked up twenty five pounds to help nullify the weight disadvantage and entered the ring at 200 pounds for the biggest challenge of his career.

Jones was successful in his quest to win a portion of the prestigious heavyweight crown and put on a clinic of hit and be hit little during twelve rounds of mostly one sided action. At the press conference, Tarver stood up and asked when he was going to receive his shot at the top. Jones responded that before he retired he would drop back down to light heavyweight and “whoop” the magic man.

Roy wanted to cash in his chips and set up a mega fight with Iron Mike Tyson. When the fight with Tyson failed to materialize, Tarver, who had since claimed the WBC / IBF 175 title with the destruction of perennial contender Montell Griffin, finally received his shot to claim elite status with a bout against Jones that was set for November 8, 2003.

Tarver suffered a majority decision(Jerry Roth 114-114 Draw, Glen Hamada 111-117 for Jones, David Harris 112-116 Jones) defeat at the hands of the hall of fame bound Jones. But after his inspired showing and fierce combinations that pinned Jones’ back on the ropes with earmuffs applied during numerous occasions, a loud outcry was sparked for a rematch. Most felt Jones squeezed out a narrow decision by salvaging the championship rounds on pure will to reclaim his light heavyweight throne.

The immediate response from the Jones crew after the fight was that the training camp to make the light heavy limit was a struggle and muscle mass was lost, thus making the fight harder with Tarver than it should have been. Tarver and his followers deemed these responses to be monumental excuses. This led to entertaining pre-fight exchanges, punctuated by the infamous “Any excuses tonight Roy,” comment during the referee instructions in the second fight. Tarver went on to win the second and third fights in their trilogy, officially ending the reign of the long time pound for pound king.

Fast forward to 2006, Tarver is now viewed by some experts as a top five pound for pound caliber talent. He has since invaded the guest commentary spots, late night talk show circuit, can demand multi-million dollar paydays and wears custom made suits. Tarver is now in the same predicament that Jones was in nearly three years ago.

Wanting a new challenge, Tarver decided to throw his hat into the acting genre with an upcoming co-starring role in Rocky VI (much like Jones who appeared in the Matrix II). Beefing up to over 200 lbs to fulfill the requirements of portraying a heavyweight champion, the magic man had to shed over 25 pounds to get within the mandatory 175 lb limit for his bout with Bernard Hopkins on Saturday night.

After the verbal barrage that Tarver gave Roy Jones Jr., for using the weight gain and subsequent loss, it would be hard to fathom for any logical boxing fan to afford Tarver with the ability to utilize the same excuse if he lost on Saturday night. Just as up and coming fighters always end the reigns of yesteryear’s stars, karma in boxing is a given. Based on the scenarios leading up to this fight, it would be an ironic twist of karma if Tarver were to lose and then use the same logic a drained Jones used in 2003.

vCash

>>>Is this fight worth ordering?<<<

Not!

It will probably be one of the more boring fights of the year!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

This fight, the Jones v. What's his name & the Mosely-Vargas PPV's are really beyond the pale. The promoters & TV must take us for complete idiots.

No way we should be buying PPV's of 90's retreads.

I've got an idea: DEVELOP SOME NEW TALENT ...

GORDOOM

vCash

I never really liked this fight from the time it was made. It holds no allure for me and it just doesn't get me excited. Tarver is 37 and Hopkins is 41 so you have to ask just what type of level will this fight be fought on? Both guys have really showed their age in recent bouts and they are still trying to participate in what is very much a young man's sport.

I look for this fight to be fought at a cautious and boring pace. Neither guy is a big risk taker at this point and they both fight like they are trying not to lose - instead of really going out there and trying to win big.

Hopkins has grown overcautious as he has aged and it really takes Bernard five rounds to get warmed up and to begin fighting. I look for Tarver's size and southpaw style to trouble Hopkins greatly. Tarver will likely weigh over 190 the night of the fight and Hopkins is rumored to weigh less than 175 right now so the size advantage is really going to be a factor in this one. Hopkins was pushed around pretty good by Jermain Taylor so a 190-pound guy should be able to do a pretty good job on him. Tarver showed he can handle smaller guys quite well, particularly Roy Jones and to a lesser extent Glen Johnson.

The bottom line is that Hopkins is going to be at a severe size disadvantage despite all of Mackie Shilstone's efforts. Hopkins' only chance is to turn this fight into a brawl and attempt to manhandle Tarver and that just isn't going to happen at Bernard's age. I like Tarver to control the fight with his right jab and use his distance to create punching opportunities. On the inside, Tarver is the stronger, bigger man and I think he'll tie Bernard up and push him backwards. I don't see either guy landing enough sustained punches to score a knockout so as a result, I like Tarver to win by a wide unanimous decision.

Administrator
    vCash

vCash

Thanks dig.

vCash

I sense two guys who will be unwilling or unable to take the risk to really go all out to win. Age is a factor that might defeat this from being the fight it should be. I have to take Tarver in this one with Hopkins playing it safe.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Tarver-Hopkins Fight Predictions from Sweet Science

Saturday night on HBO PPV live from Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, the champ Antonio Tarver defends his light heavyweight crown against Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins in X’s final fight of his career. What these fighters lack in age, both are a little long in the tooth but made careers out of being defensive-minded, they more than make up for with ring smarts, ambition, and will to win. This is how The Sweet Science writers see Tarver vs. Hopkins.

I'll go with Tarver by decision over Hopkins. Two cautious, crafty fighters fighting in the same ring, in my mind, equals a slow, tactical fight. Once Bernard feels Tarver's power, he'll stay away, finishing his career on his feet and in good health.
    Mitch Abramson

Hopkins may be the older man at 41 years old, but, in ring years, he appears to be fresher than the 37-year-old Tarver. He competed evenly with the then-26-year-old Jermain Taylor in two fights, while Tarver showed signs of aging against Glen Johnson last summer and Roy Jones Jr. last October. Further, Tarver's weight situation can't be good. After reportedly gaining some 45 pounds to play a heavyweight in Sylvester Stallone's upcoming "Rocky Balboa" movie, there's no way we'll see the razor-sharp machine who took out Jones in the rematch two years ago. He'll have the bigger punch, but he'll also be sluggish and dull after struggling to get to 175 pounds again. That big punch probably won't land much against a defensively capable fighter like Hopkins. And when it does, Hopkins – much more physically equipped to absorb a light heavyweight punch than the naturally smaller Jones – won't budge. Look for B-Hop, with the help of training guru Mackie Shilstone, to outhustle Tarver on the inside with quick bursts, before moving out of danger, a la Michael Spinks against Larry Holmes in 1985. Consequently, he'll win the recognized light heavyweight championship via 12-round split decision.
    Matt Aguilar

Styles make fights, and the fight between these two tacticians doesn’t promise to provide much excitement. Feinting and pawing with the jab will fill too many minutes of too many rounds. But when the action does come, it will be the naturally bigger Tarver who will be driving that action, punching in flurries and landing the occasional straight left. Still, he will not press the action enough to stop the crafty middleweight. Tarver beats Hopkins by decision.
    David Berlin

Hopkins w12 Tarver – This is the perfect fight for insomniacs, two aged counterpunchers. I lean toward Hopkins because I think tarver, at 37, is older than B-Hop at 41. At the odds, Hopkins is certainly the bet.
    Michael Katz

Here’s all you need to know about this fight: Historically, the most frequently cited example of a fighter overstaying his welcome is Joe Louis vs. Rocky Marciano in 1951. The Brown Bomber was precisely the same age in that one that Tarver is for this one – and Hopkins is four years older than that. It’s hard to imagine what the point of this exercise is supposed to be. The loser is obviously going to be damaged goods, but there isn’t much in it for the winner, either. Once again HBO is trading on names with little regard to the consequence. Prediction: Who cares?
    George Kimball

I think Hopkins has slowed just enough that Tarver will have a slight edge in the only meaningful exchanges that do take place. I feel it will be a very tactical bout with Hopkins using his straight right and hook well, with Tarver having the edge with his jab and counter lefts. Expect lots of holding inside and neither to get tagged too hard over twelve rather uneventful but interesting – but not PPV worthy – rounds. It'll be close to call as beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and a draw or split decision may come out of it, but I'll say Tarver gets a close nod.
    Joey Knish

Bernard is another underdog that will raise the roof in AC. I expect him to be smart in the first half and avoid Tarver's big left, and be surprisingly physical in the championship rounds. Hopkins wins a hard-fought split decision.
    Zachary Levin

Both guys talk such a good game but then do more posing than fighting in the ring. The combination of Tarver reportedly coming down from 218 pounds and Hopkins hiring Mackie Shilstone as his conditioner makes this bout more interesting than it would ordinarily be. The pick here is Tarver because he is naturally bigger, has more to prove, and will probably pose less than Hopkins. Tarver W 12.
    Bob Mladinich

I'm not expecting fireworks in the Tarver-Hopkins bout. In fact, I'm expecting a snore fest. Maybe I'll be fooled but I doubt it. In the last too many fights to count, Bernard Hopkins has fought for an average of ten seconds each round. Even against Antonio Tarver, he'll have to increase his punch output. The question is, can he? Tarver UD12 - so the answer's NO. I'm not a believer in Bernard any longer.
    Scott Mallon

Hopkins has lost back-to-back decisions to Jermain Taylor, and that makes him very dangerous. However, what makes him even more dangerous is the fact that he, and about half the people who watched those two fights, believe that Hopkins won them both. The truth of the matter is both fights could have gone either way... Hopkins is pissed, and is by no means totally over the hill. In my opinion Antonio Tarver is very intent on gaining the respect he believe he deserves, which also makes him dangerous. However, it has been stated that during the filming of "Rocky Balboa" Tarver was tipping the scales at around 220 lbs. Roy Jones Jr. went up to heavyweight from light-heavyweight as well and came in at exactly 193 lbs. of shredded muscle, 27 lbs less than Tarver... and we all saw the impact it had on Jones. Hopkins is hungry to prove that he is still one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the sport. In addition, Hopkins claims that this is his last fight, which should motivate him even more. Tarver on the other hand, is just plain old hungry... you would be too if you just sucked 45 lbs in a few short months. The combination of the heart and skill of Hopkins, and the battle with the scales by Tarver only leads to one thing in my mind... Hopkins by an extremely boring decision.
    Alex Stone

At 41 years of age, Bernard Hopkins is still dangerous. But he is no longer able to put together the sustained, twelve-round attack that is necessary to beat Antonio Tarver. If the “Magic Man” sticks and moves throughout the fight, he will coast to an easy victory. Tarver by unanimous decision.
    Aaron Tallent

Tarver is the natural light heavyweight. His strength and superior work rate will be the deciding factors on Saturday night. And while I'm hoping y'all get your PPV money's worth, it's entirely possible that this will be a strategic chess match, fought at the pace one would expect from a 37-year-old and a 41-year old...
    Michael Woods

Banned
    vCash

You know

It doesn't surprise me that Hopkins makes the comment about becoming the first fighter to go directly from Middleweight to Lightheavyweight and win the crown. ("I'll do something even Sugar Ray Robinson couldn't do. Completely ignoring the fact that Robby started his career as a Lightweight). Many fighters don't know their sports history.

But apparently many sports writers don't know it either. I have read AT LEAST two articles today (Borges GLobe and Chuck Johnston USA Today) backing up or elaborating on Hopkins' words by pointing out to the readers that either it hasn't been done or has been done in the "modern era", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Which begs the question: IS DICK TIGER THAT OBSCURE A FIGHTER? These and many other, guys who SHOULD know better, obviously DON'T know who the hell Tiger is and what he did?

These knuckleheads better never whine about the sport not getting respectable coverage or respect form others. Hell they don't respect the sport enough to do any flippin homework!

Sorry, this just eats at me.

Hawk

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

It pisses me off too Hawk! For God's sake, Tiger IS a fighter from the modern era.

Question: Does anybody really give a damn about this fight?

GorDoom

Banned
    vCash

Gordoom

A little give and take between myself and Ronny Borges today:

To: Ronborges@aol.com; rborges@globe.com
    Sent: Fri, 9 Jun 2006
    Subject: Hopkins article

Ron, Nice article on the upcoming snoozefest, 'er I mean fight, between Hopkins and Tarver.

And the whole "something even Sugar Ray Robinson couldn't do", not being able to go directly from 160 to 175, (while ignoring that Robby started his career out at 135 pounds...), that Hopkins is playing, while a soundbite attention getter, it is somewhat hollow in that it ignores the history of the sport.

The next time Bernard barks that out, could SOMEONE remind him about the great Dick Tiger? Who DID go directly from 160 to 175 and successfully won the crown in both weights?

Someone in the Press has to have been able to recall this!

Hawk

To: Hawk5ins
    Subject: Re: Hopkins article
    Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006

Jeff,

I don't tihnk Hopkins has ever said "no one'' ever did it. he says his idol, sugar Ray, didn't do it and he wants to. Why are you always looking for something negative to say about everything? Jesus, what a way to live your life.
    all the best and enjoy teh snoozefest or buy Cotto-Malignaggi if you're looking for another option.
    Ron

To: Ronborges@aol.com; rborges@globe.com
    Sent: Fri, 9 Jun 2006
    Subject: Hopkins article

Ron:

"I'm going to pull off something that hasn't been done before" Hopkins said of moving directly from 160 to 175 and winning the Lightheavyweight title that his idol, Sugar Ray Robinson, could not when he tried the same thing agianst Joey Maxim in 1952.

Ron Borges, Boston Globe Friday June 9, 2006, 1st column, paragraph 6.

Sorry for being so negative Ron. It must have been your editors again. My bad.

Lord knows you never would have forgotten about Dick Tiger beating Jose Torres for the Light Heavyweight crown in his very first bout after losing his Middleweight crown to Emile Griffith back in the dark ages of 1966.

Have a good nap at the fight Saturday. Me? I'm going to pop in a copy of Tiger Fullmer III. You know brush up a bit on sport that no one feels the need for any amount of accuracy or factual historical detail on.

Enjoy.

Hawk

Sigh. Some people just don't get it.

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

I'm just going to enjoy the replay next weekend, when Winky and Jermain fight. Just think of it as an opening bout next weekend on free TV, makes it go down a lot easier.

If Tarver doesn't back up his tough talk and stop Hopkins– who will not throw punches because he can't anymore– then he should make this his last fight as well.

I'd buy it if that were in the contract.
    Shawn

Roberto Aqui

Tarver will KO Hop, but I wouldn't predict the round like Tarver did. The only fly in the ointment is whether Tarver gained too much weight doing the Rocky movie which may leave him weak.

vCash

This fight will really tell us how very good/great a fighter Bernard Hopkins truly is/was ... by that I mean he really made his name on longivity ... people criticize Jones but who the hell has Hopkins beat at middleweight that was a great middleweight? At least Jones beat Toney and Hopkins.

Obvious factors enter this comment such as Hopkins age. However, since he has been fighting and peforming on a world class level and since a huge part of his aura is the fact that he has maintained ability like a Archie Moore, tonight's performance is something to take into consideration when assessing him as an all timer.

If he performs well, shows not just survival skills but makes a dramatic effort at winning, goes out on a limb a bit, maybe has a few shifts of momentum in his direct, has a few rounds where it seems like he might actually win, it will be a huge statement for him against a younger but not young, big, strong, fast, smart talented light heavy. If he quickly sees that Tarver is simply too much and plays it safe , raises his hands at the bell and fakes disbelif at losing a decision, it will certain help me factor Bernard once and for all.

We know he is/was a very tough, smart fighter that help his crown for a long time against C level middleweights and A- welterweights. We know he stays in shape and has not gone back to prison. He's now made a ton of money. All good for Bernard. We also know he's a great street hustler and b.s. artist, not easy for a guy who is only a slightly better speaker than Larry Holmes...now it's time to see if he was a very good fighter or a great one.
    Last edited by HE Grant; 06-10-2006 at 08:47 AM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Tarver-Hopkins Results & Discussion 6/10/06

I am not going to buy this or the Cotto lash-up. I will try to see if anybody is into covering those fights for us.

Per usual keep all discussion of this card to this thread.Redundant threeads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Re: Tarver-Hopkins Results & Discussion 6/10/06

I hope somebody does so it can be covered for the board ... But for the life of me I can't see why anybody would drop 50 bucks too see two of the most boring fighters on the planet.

They've got a lot of nerve making this a PPV.

GorDoom

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Good news! CBZ board stalwart, Daddy Mo Fo, will cover the fight for us tonight.

GorDoom

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Boxing Scene Staff Predictions: Antonio Tarver vs. Bernard Hopkins

By Rick Reeno

The place where Bernard Hopkins (46-4-1, 32 KOs) made his debut in 1988, Atlantic City, New Jersey, is now the same place he stages the the final bout of his career. Hopkins, spending almost 20 years in the sport of boxing, is stepping up two weight classes to challenge the recognized light heavyweight champion of the world, Antonio Tarver (24-3, 18 KOs).

The competitive juices are flowing, Tarver - the self proclaimed "legend killer" is looking to add the Hopkins to his resume of victories. Hopkins, a career middleweight, is looking to accomplish what his hero, Sugar Ray Robinson, tried and failed to do - by moving up from middleweight and winning the light heavyweight title.

They share two common opponents, Roy Jones Jr. and Glen Johnson. Hopkins lost to Jones by unanimous decision, while Tarver has knocked Jones out in two rounds and cruised to an easy twelve round decision against Jones in his last outing. Tarver lost his first of three bouts to Jones by decision, but some feel he should have been awarded the fight. Tarver holds the upper hand on Hopkins with Jones, but Hopkins holds the upper hand with Glen Johnson. Tarver split two decisions with Glen Johnson, while Hopkins dominated Johnson at middleweight on route to being the only fighter to stop him.

Win, lose or draw, this is the final time we see Hopkins in the ring as a fighter, a going away party that Tarver wants to spoil by being the first man to stop him.

The staff of BoxingScene comes together to voice their opinions, strategies and predictions for the fight.

Mike Casey - The word is that Bernard Hopkins is training for Antonio Tarver with the fervour of a man who has no thoughts of retirement. But can the old man really pull the kind of surprise that Dick Tiger gave us back in ’67 when he dethroned Jose Torres? Opinion is famously divided on Bernard’s place among the great middleweights. I can’t personally rank him among the elite. But he is without doubt a wise old ring mechanic who knows some tricks and still has plenty of ambition.

Antonio Tarver is a talented, decent light-heavyweight who can be alternately sensational and mundane. He has the advantage of being a natural light-heavy, but is only an inch taller than Hopkins and has an identical reach. Antonio should win, but I’ve had a funny feeling about this one from the time it was made.

Bernard won’t play a counter puncher’s waiting game as he did against Jermain Taylor, because he simply can’t afford to. If he has any new tricks, this is now or never. He has to jump on Antonio and hustle him all the way. Can the old champ do that at forty-one? Let’s not forge that Tarver is thirty-seven and has had to shed some serious poundage to get down to 175. I’ll put my head on the block and say that Hopkins will win. I think his work rate will take him to an upset decision and bag him some precious points in the all time stakes.

Ron Borges - I know Tarver is bigger and stronger, but like Hopkins by decision in an exceedingly defensive fight.

Hank Kaplan - Bernard is a great fighter, but he is not the same fighter that even beat Felix Trinidad a few years ago. He fights in spurts to save his energy for the late rounds. I think Tarver is too big. Bernard couldnt hurt Jermain Taylor, what can he do to Tarver?

Tarver by decision

Tim Smith - Going with Tarver over Hopkins in a decision. It's hard to pick against Hopkins, but I think Tarver can do a few more things than Jermian Taylor did to Hopkins.

Tarver by decision

Don Colgan - Tarver, although not particularly young in his own right, is still near his prime. Hopkins is riding a permanent decline. Tarver to dominate after the first three rounds, drop Hopkins several times en route to a 10th round TKO.

Tarver by TKO

Andy Rivera - Yes, I'm probably in the minority here, but hell someone has to pick Hopkins. We all know this is Hopkins' last hurrah. Going after history in trying to capture something his idol, Sugar Ray Robinson could not obtain. Tarver is the bigger fighter, but I'm banking on him having issues from losing the weight from his performance in the new Rocky movie. Dropping 40 pounds isn't good for any fighter, just ask Roy Jones when he fought Tarver in their first encounter.

I think Hopkins will outwork Tarver and leave in the sunset by making his mark in history.

Hopkins by decision

Tom Donelson - If this was the 2001 version of Hopkins fighting, I will give Hopkins a chance. Hopkins is 41 years old, he is the smaller fighter and he is not necessarily the faster fighter. On paper, this is a mismatch. Hopkins' chances exist of slowing the fight down and minimizing the punches, while hoping for a Tarver mistake. I suspect that Tarver will press the action and fulfill his predictions of stopping Hopkins. Tarver has his own legacy to deal with and Hopkins' place in boxing history is secure. So the major incentative is with Tarver. Beating Hopkins will go a long way to establish Tarver as a great fighter in his own right.

Tarver by KO.

Evan Korn - At 41, Hopkins has more in the tank than the 37 year old Tarver. In my estimation, Hopkins went 1-0-1 against Taylor. Judging by how serious Hopkins is taking this fight (hiring Mackie Shilstone to help add the weight), Hopkins appears to accept the fact that his time is running out. Tarver, in his last outing against Roy Jones, looked like a spent force. After gaining all that weight and going Hollywood, Tarver will look downright ancient against Hopkins.

Hopkins by unanimous decision.

Kevin Kincade - I predict at least 12 people somewhere in the world, if not the arena will dose off during the 6th round of this contest. “When Counter-Punchers Meet”….it is the equivalent in boxing to dueling banjoes. Now, cynicism aside, Tarver’s reach, height, power, and Bernard’s early inactivity will be the difference. Bernard Hopkins, for all of his defensive expertise and slick infighting skills, which incorporate the darker side of the art of boxing, seems to have forgotten the aggressive side of the coin.

I can see how his straight right hand will occasionally trouble the southpaw Tarver; but I fail to see how the smaller Hopkins can make any real impact over the long haul. The only hope I see for Hopkins escaping with a victory lies in Antonio’s tendency to tire down the stretch, when Bernard, conveniently enough, picks up the action. However, I don’t see B-Hop winning this one, though he will have his moments in the later rounds. Look for “The Magic Man” to retain his World Light-Heavyweight title by a relatively dull decision…might even be a Split Decision.

Tarver by decision.

Larry Tornambe - I see Tarver vs. Hopkins being a posing contest. I hope someone from Madam Taussad's wax museum is at ringside. I think they will have two figures in the main event who won' t be moving their hands much. Hopkins and Tarver have not been very active during their most recent fights and I look for Tarver's size to give him the advantage in earning a snoozer decision against Bernard.

Tarver by decision

Paul Gallegos - I guess that it is all about the money these days. How Hopkins can land a title fight when his last two jaunts in the squared circle credited him with defeats. It just doesn't make sense. That said, age, an aggressive Tarver, and a really decent boxer will overwhelm the aged Hopkins with a barrage of punches in the second round. Hopkins will taste the canvass in the second, fourth, and finally get KO'd in the 9th. I don't really see this one being close.

Tarver by KO

Mike Indri - In a fight which I see no interest or reason for taking place, the choice has to be Tarver. Hopkins, whose legacy is entrenched as one of the greatest middleweights ever, should have kept the promise he made to his late mother and retired last year.

Tarver's fortitude and resilience has enabled him to prevail against aging champions Montel Griffin, Glen Johnson and Roy Jones; and the timing has worked out well again for the fortunate Tarver, who will add a very past-his-prime Bernard Hopkins to his hit list in a lackluster bout not worthy of the boxing fan's pay-per- view dollars.

Antonio Tarver over Bernard Hopkins via 12 round Unanimous Decision.

Dr. Peter Edwards - Hopkins has something to prove in this bout, after two dissapointing defeats to Jermain Taylor. I see Bernard boxing his way to a close decision win against the Tarver, who waits too long to get off with his punches.

Hopkins by decision.

Mike Dunn - I've got to go with Tarver against Hopkins. Should be a war, but time is not on Hopkins' side, especially at age of 41 and with the two tough losses to Jermain behind him.

Tarver is coming off wins over Jones and Johnson and will enter the ring with lots of confidence.

Tarver by unanimous decision.

Eric Rineer - Bernard Hopkins has already cemented his place in boxing history. He is one of the greatest middleweight fighters of all-time. The 20 consecutive title defenses is amazing. He's a very game and terrifically skilled boxer. But to jump up two weight classes appears to be too challenging. If you're going to do it, you especially don't want your first fight to be against the light heavyweight champion.

Bernard Hopkins yields youth and power to Mason Dixon, eh hem, Antonio Tarver. I've never seen a fighter more focused than Antonio. That was the case just a couple of weeks ago in Vero Beach. He was too focused to even engage in small talk with anyone at his training site. This man is serious business and he's got a serious business trainer in Buddy McGirt. He's too strong, too focused and too good to be dethroned against a blown-up middleweight.

I'm picking the "Magic Man" Tarver by 8th-round TKO.

John Hively - I think Tarver will defeat Hopkins. The former middleweight champion is on the downhill side of his career, and probably has been for three years or more. Tarver, if he comes in shape, has too much on the ball for Hopkins at this stage of his career.

Tarver by decision

Bradley Yeh - Bernard Hopkins’ work rate has let him down in recent fights, and stepping aside from critical assessment that’s probably fair for a middleweight veteran and legend of his ilk. That work rate could cost him if Tarver doesn’t suffer too much from making the agreed weight. Other tangibles that make for a tentative prediction with this fight are that Hopkins is reported to have a good team including sparring partners that are experienced with Tarver for this bout. This contrasts against the fact that Tarver is the stronger, bigger guy that has the power to hurt Hopkins with a single shot, whilst Hopkins doesn’t have sleeping pills in his gloves at this stage of his career and in this weight class.

Hopkins is a junkyard dog that’s old school to the bone and I must admit that I enjoyed his work prior to and including Trinidad. Tarver probably will feel less psychological pressure coming into this his bout though, as he’ll draw from the power advantage knowing that he has knocked out guys he sincerely believes Hopkins can't.

Tarver by decision.

Richard McManus - A win for Tarver will prove almost nothing, but a win for Hopkins will allow him to retire on his terms. I'm leaning toward Hopkins for the reason he gave in a recent interview. When asked about his chances he responded with the quip: "Who's the better fighter?" Unless Bernard shows up and appears exceedingly old I give him an excellent chance to win the decision.

Hopkins by decision

Rusty Rubin - I think Bernard is too tough for Tarver after coming down in weight, from heavyweight. The fight will do too deep for the stamina of Tarver.

Hopkins by unanimous decision

Dave Wilcox - Tarver is the natural Light Heavyweight and can box as well. He will be too much for Hopkins to handle. I see a one-sided decision taking place for Tarver. Hopkins' usual pace won't be enough to land a win against Tarver.

Tarver by decision.

TK Stewart - I never really liked this fight from the time it was made. It holds no allure for me and it just doesn't get me excited. Tarver is 37 and Hopkins is 41 so you have to ask just what type of level will this fight be fought on? Both guys have really showed their age in recent bouts and they are still trying to participate in what is very much a young man's sport.

I look for this fight to be fought at a cautious and boring pace. Neither guy is a big risk taker at this point and they both fight like they are trying not to lose - instead of really going out there and trying to win big. Hopkins has grown overcautious as he has aged and it really takes Bernard five rounds to get warmed up and to begin fighting. I look for Tarver's size and southpaw style to trouble Hopkins greatly.

Tarver will likely weigh over 190 the night of the fight and Hopkins is rumored to weigh less than 175 right now so the size advantage is really going to be a factor in this one. Hopkins was pushed around pretty good by Jermain Taylor so a 190-pound guy should be able to do a pretty good job on him. Tarver showed he can handle smaller guys quite well, particularly Roy Jones and to a lesser extent Glen Johnson. The bottom line is that Hopkins is going to be at a severe size disadvantage despite all of Mackie Shilstone's efforts. Hopkins' only chance is to turn this fight into a brawl and attempt to manhandle Tarver and that just isn't going to happen at Bernard's age. I like Tarver to control the fight with his right jab and use his distance to create punching opportunities. On the inside, Tarver is the stronger, bigger man and I think he'll tie Bernard up and push him backwards. I don't see either guy landing enough sustained punches to score a knockout so as a result, I like Tarver to win by a wide unanimous decision.

JC Casarez - All I keep hearing is that Tarver is too big and strong for Hopkins at this stage of their careers. Well I think that's his downfall in this fight. Tarver has spent too much time above 200lbs, even if it was for a role in the upcoming Rocky film. The way he was forced to come back down in weight will leave him weak when the 2nd half of the fight approaches. Look for Hopkins and his new body which is compliments of his hard work with Mackey Shilstone to help him impose his will and do what he did best as the middleweight king.

Hopkins can still outbox them and when fatigue sets in you can expect Hopkins to execute.

Hopkins by decision

JE Grant - In this fight it won’t be age that is served, it will be size. Tarver is likely the slower puncher of the two but he is willing to get close and occasionally throw with abandon. He has faced the stiff punches of Glen Johnson and the desperation of Roy Jones and has proven unrelenting. He even fought hard against Eric Harding despite a broken jaw. It is unlikely that the cagey Hopkins has anything in his arsenal that will keep Tarver at a distance or cause him to slow his attack. Of course Hopkins won’t go quietly into the night.

He will fight hard in spots but won’t be able to sustain the kind of attack necessary to take the heat out of Tarver. When he can’t punch, however, he will prove hard to hit squarely or often. Look for a retreating Hopkins to give it a strong go but lose out to the heavy hands of Tarver. Antonio Tarver by clear decision.

Dan Creighton - The bigger and stronger Tarver will prove to be too much for Hopkins.

Hopkins by decision.

Carlos Irusta - Tarver will pull out the win because he is simply the bigger man. Hopkins has reached his the top of his game, and it's been downhill since.

Tarver by decision

Joe Harrison - Although Hopkins lost his last two fights to Jermain Taylor, he showed everyone that he still has what it takes to fight the big boys. However, I think it is a dangerous move to move up in weight and take on today's best light heavyweight, Antonio Tarver. Hopkins' age should continue to take it's toll on him, meaning that Tarver will be victorious.

Tarver over Hopkins by Unanimous Decision

George Phillips - It's a close fight, Hopkins is moving up 15 pounds and Tarver had to drop 40 pounds.

I think Hopkins will win a close split decision.

Alphonso Costello - Bernard Hopkins has made alot of noise about accomplishing what Sugar Ray Robinson couldn’t accomplish and that’s capture the light-heavyweight crown. Hopkins isn’t young enough to fight a 12-round bout at a steady pace. His extreme jump in weight may hurt his conditioning. The same can be said about Antonio Tarver's conditioning. He allegedly weighed close to 220 pounds during the filming of Rocky VI. Tarver must use his size advantage to wear down Hopkins. However, the silver screen curse will come crashing down on Tarver's crown. "The Legend Killer's" stamina will betray him and Hopkins will capitalize on the opportunity.

Hopkins defeats Tarver by eleventh round knockout.

Rick Reeno - Unless losing close to 40 pounds has drained Tarver, I think he should win this fight. If he keeps the fight at a distance, he can win easily, but it appears Tarver is set on trading with Hopkins in order to become the first man to stop him. I don't think Tarver will stop him, and I see Hopkins giving as good as he gets.

Tarver by close decision.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Doghouse Boxing Predictions: Tarver vs. Hopkins
    Compiled by "Big Dog" Benny Henderson Jr. (June 10, 2006)

Tonight the fight world throws out the leather with two separate championship bouts that has the potential of being a barn-burning event of boxing matches. At the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ the out spoken southpaw sensation Antonio Tarver 24-3 (18 KO’s) goes toe to toe against the “Executioner” Bernard Hopkins 46-4-1 (32 KO’s) in a twelve round bash for the magic mans IBO & NBA Light Heavyweight Straps.

Just a little over two hours north in New York City at Madison Square Garden two undefeated warriors of the ring will clash when the hard hitting Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto 26-0 (22 KO’s) defends his WBO Light Welterweight strap against the always confident Paul Malignaggi 21-0 (5 KO’s).

Can Hopkins go out with a bang or will Tarver stir up some magic and get the respect he searches for, can Cotto make it seven straight knock out victories or will Malignaggi dazzle his way to another W? Doghouse makes the call.

Antonio Tarver versus Bernard Hopkins

Gabriel Montoya
    Karma is a funny thing. In his last two fights, Hopkins has gotten the bad end of the Karma stick. This time around, I think he gets the benefit of any doubts there may be. With the addition of trainer super genius, Mackie Shilstone, I think Hopkins can gather whatever he has left in the tank and get a very boring decision. He will not stop Tarver. If Tarver can't get the KO within five rounds, it is all Hopkins. This fight might have the potential to make Ruiz vs. Rahman look like Hagler vs. Hearns in retrospect. Flinch, miss, clinch, low blow, elbow, rinse, repeat.

Martin Wade
    I think Bernard will look fresher at 175, and I don’t see Tarver bulldozing him in six rounds like he thinks he will. Tarver has stamina and balance issues late in fights plus he had to loose a ton of weight. Hopkins will resemble a more skillful crafty version of Glenn Johnson and pound out an upset split decision.

Peter Chhim
    I’ve played this fight over and over again in my head the past few days and I just can’t come up with a likely scenario where Hopkins can pull out a storybook ending. He hasn’t been active enough in his last bouts to lead me to think he might out work Tarver, and he hasn’t shown knockout power since 2000 (the body shot knockout of De La Hoya was an aberration against a much smaller opponent). He’s still a defensive wiz, so I don’t think Tarver will collect on his mid round knockout bid, but by being defensive all night he won’t garner too many rounds either. So, although I’m not a fan of the Magic Man, I have to give him his just dues, he might not be a legend killer, but he certainly has the ability and the mentality to fight like one. Tarver UD Hopkins

Rob Scott
    The veteran Hopkins will try to be strategic, but he has lost a step. That loss of a step may allow Tarver to 'step on' the ex-middleweight King. Tarver is too strong at this stage in Hopkins' career. But if Hopkins wins this fight, any and all nay Sayers should give him the utmost credit - I know I will. Unfortunately, I think it is a little too late. Tarver 12 round decision

Danny Serratelli
    A friend of mine was in camp with Hopkins the second Taylor fight and with Tarver for the second Jones fight. Based on 1st hand knowledge/experience he thinks Bernard will pull off the upset. I value his opinion considering the fact that he was in there with both guys recently. I think if either fighter lacks a little drive and motivation or takes the other fighter lighter then he should it will be Tarver sleeping on Hopkins. Tarver is obviously the favorite considering the age, weight, and style and it would be easy to pick Tarver to capture a unanimous decision. However, this should be a chess match with Tarver fighting a fight he must win and Hopkins fighting a fight in which he has nothing to lose. The 2 counterpunches may make for a boring fight at times, but in the end the man who felt he was slighted in his last 2 decisions may be pleasantly surprised at the end of this one. I am calling 2 upsets this weekend. Bernard Hopkins by Unanimous Decision

Benny Henderson Jr.
    I don’t see Tarver going in there laying Hopkins out with in six rounds as he said he would do, if he does run in with the intentions of doing so I think that he will play himself into a losing role. B-Hop didn’t win all those years for being a dumb fighter, he’s crafty, skillful, and has the ring experience to carry out the deed. But, I think a forty one year old Hopkins won’t be able to with stand the size and strength of Tarver for twelve rounds in a brawl, the early rounds, yes, but the distance no. If he stays away from Tarver going the distance in a bore fest than I could see him maybe, just maybe taking the W, but the questions is, can Tarver pull him into a brawl? The wear and tear of going toe to toe will have harsh affects on Hopkins, but will Tarver actually stay busy? So it is hard for me to make a solid pick. I can see Hopkins staying away picking off shots in a sleeper, and then again I can see Tarver putting on the heat long enough to get a late KO. This is a pick’em in my opinion, so I flipped a coin, tails…Tarver take the cake, heads, Hopkins gets the nod…we used to say tails never fails, but it landed on heads, so I will choose Hopkins via Spit Decision victory.

Coyote Duran
    Aside of my wanting to watch what I feel will be a real boxing clinic between Miguel Cotto and Paul Malignaggi along with my general bias of being a friend of Paulie's, my decision to not order the Antonio Tarver-Bernard Hopkins World Light Heavyweight Championship bout was also fueled by my not wanting to shell out 50 prairie dogs to order the same thing I got in the Jermain Taylor-Bernard Hopkins rematch. Disappointment. Hey, I'm as big a fan as any of the former Undisputed Middleweight Champion, but even I have my limits. Hopkins does just enough to win this fight by a split decision to take Tarver's Ring Magazine strap because he knows that sometimes, Antonio Tarver will only do enough to win. Knowing how well (and boringly) Tarver fared against Roy Jones Jr. in their amazingly somnambulist rubber match, Hopkins is banking on this. One can also hope that Tarver isn't suffering from what I call "Lennox Lewis-it is." See "Oceans 11" and then watch Lewis-Hasim Rahman you and I know exactly what I'm talking about, Mason Dixon fans. Hopkins SD 12 Tarver

Chee (icheehuahua): Tarver W12 -Both Tarver and Hopkins have great skills...but Tarver has those bloody long legs. To beat Tarver, you need to beat his legs. You have to get by the perimeter set up by his legs to get on the inside and deliver the goods. That's going to be hard to do. Also, let's not forget how much power Tarver can hit with when he utilizes his legs.

Even if Hopkins get past his legs, Tarver has much more magic to offer, and will make it hard to hit him flush. Getting by his legs and then delivering punches worthy of the 6 o'clock news...This is going to be like picking the lock on Fort Knox in record time and stealing the goods without getting caught...and you need to repeat that through 12 rounds, over and over.

Administrator
    vCash

Both guys weighed in at 174 to my surprise.
    Did anyone see the weigh in or any good pics of it?
    I am very curious of how they both look.

vCash

Hey Gordoom-who is buying which pay per view event?Because I am going to buy 1 of them and I could post rond by round for everyone if you like.

Administrator
    vCash

pendleton23,

If you wouldnt mind could you purchase the Cotto fight?
    I was going to cover it but I just found out that I may not have access to my pc as I usually would.
    If not, no big deal. I'll figure something out, but it would help.

Thanks!

vCash

Sure-Let me double check and i'll post in at about 8:00pm .

vCash

8:00pm eastren time.

vCash

I am going to purchase the Cotto pay per view so I can cover it.I will post round by round.And I will do the undercard bouts as well.

Administrator
    vCash

Thanks much. I work with computers all day, the last thing I wanted to do tonight was get in a brawl with my own.

vCash

What happens if Hopkins can counter Tarvers left hook? Then Tarver becomes a one handed fighter. With that said, Hopkins would not mix it up with Taylor because he feared his power. Hopkins has to dart in do his damage and get out. I don't see him doing that So I'm picking Tarver 12ud.

vCash

Thanks you gentleman,
    can't wait to read everything about the undercards and the main events.

Could you please list who the referees are for each bout.

Thanks so much,

Ron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast