The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather - Cotto May 5th

vCash

Mayweather - Cotto May 5th

vCash

Re: Mayweather - Cotto May 5th

What is the fucking point of this fight? Cotto doesn't have the peed, power, or craftiness to win this fight. Waste of time payday for both. BOXING SUCKS!

vCash

So Floyd can fight some Pac leftovers.

The cyclical nature of this schamozle just keeps on grinding.

vCash

Didn't PBF offer Pac this fight date?

vCash

At least this eliminates a Cotto/Pacquiao rematch. That was in the wind.

vCash

Mayweather can't pull the "Pac is fighting my leftovers" card anymore I guess.

vCash

What the hell is going on? Very low comments for a potential fight of the century here.

vCash

LOL fight of the century?

It's a fight i want to see regardless.

Will be interesting to see how much Cotto has left. The biggest mark against him as a fighter is his vunerability. He can punch, is sharp, a solid set of boxing skills, decent speed and a great left jab. However his defense has never been great nor his chin and this has been his downfall at 147 and above. He is a different fighter when he can establish control and isn't constantly fighting to neutralize the momentum of a fighter that can expolit his vunerability as it pertains to durability. Floyd can sit on punches and throw with decent pop when he needs to but he is not a puncher at these weights. Cotto should be well within his limits in taking a punch here and thus can make an attempt to assert control behind that great left jab much the way De La Hoya did.

Floyd should undoubtedly be favoured but i think Cotto has a better chance at making this a fight then most give him credit for.

vCash

Bleurgh. What's the point? We could've had Bail-Money/Pacman but Floyd wrongly believes Pac is not entitled to a 50/50 split, or, knows that Pac IS but is using this as his get out clause.

Don't care about this fight. Just about lost interest in boxing now.

vCash

PS, who writes this shit?

"...in what will be a gargantuan showdown between two future Hall of Famers"

vCash

I too was thinking along the same lines as Jakob.

I don't think that this fight will be necessarily as easy as first thought either - and not just based on what Cotto will bring to the table. History has shown that there have been a number of fighters who chose to cruise along against apparently safe bets only to find themselves crashing into an upset when their own skill set has suffered crucial erosion in the meantime. Mayweather is getting on in age and he fights sporadically - and the tools upon which he relies would be so much less effective if they were not exactly on point.

While there are many who think Mayweather could easily overcome Pac, particularly at this stage with the apparent slip in Manny's game, I'm not so sure that Floyd himself is as confident as his backers.

After Pac's scare against Marquez, one might think Floyd would actually do almost anything to get Manny in the ring right now - lest someone else gets in there first and knocks Pac off his perch.

Whatever chance you think Floyd might have against Pac, if Floyd himself isn't sufficiently confident I think his chances have to be downgraded accordingly.

vCash

This is a big money fight. Cotto is third behind Mayweather and Pacquiao in PPV $$.

vCash

Jakob and PD, I wish you were right. And I certainly don't think Floyd is unbeatable by any means. My problem with this fight is that Cotto really brings nothing to the table at 147. He is a decent, Junior welterweight who never even tried to unify that division. At welterweight, he supposedly "won" a title from nobody, Michael Jennings, struggled against hapless Yuri Foreman before the later's knee went out, struggled against worn out Mayorga, beat a half blind Margarito, and got Crushed by Pacman. He will lose this fight. Not because Floyd is so good, but, rather because Cotto just really isn't very good at this weight. Cotto absolutely does not belong in the IBHOF based on his career to date.

vCash

At least this eliminates a Cotto/Pacquiao rematch. That was in the wind.
    I was thinking something along the lines of the air smells of someone passing wind. To me, this is a stay-busy fight for Mayweather guaranteed to pay a tidy sum.

Certainly, Cotto could pull the upset if he catches Mayweather just right. The chance, unseen blow landing on the chin when the neck isn't set for impact could pull the trick. One doesn't have to look far for examples of this. Random examples include Ali's flash knockout of Liston in their second fight, Lamon Brewster's knockout of Lennox Lewis in sparring, and many more. However, that aside, I don't think it bides well for Cotto.

Sure, I'll watch the free HBO replay of this fight the following week, but that's about it.

Sheesh.

vCash

from Steve Kim (Max Boxing)

MAY 5TH

It was officially announced on Tuesday morning that Floyd Mayweather, who was granted his license in Nevada after a short dog-and-pony show in front of the NSAC, will face Miguel Cotto on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

To some, this bout is about four or five years too late. Others will welcome this match-up much more than fights against Saul Alvarez or Robert Guerrero, which were also discussed. Either way, with two of the big three pay-per-view franchises and attractions involved, this will do big numbers regardless- just like Manny Pacquiao’s date against Tim Bradley will on June 9th. Yeah, yeah, I know all about the talk of supposed boycotts and the backlash against Mayweather and Pacquiao for not facing each other. The bottom line is this- both are now self-sustaining businesses with vast fan bases that will support them nonetheless.

These upcoming events will do well despite the uproar from a very small minority.

And for all this hysterical talk that this fight has lost steam, well, perhaps from a pure boxing standpoint, that is true. After all, both men are well into their 30s. But remember, when Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson finally met in 2002 (at least five years past its sell-buy date as a prizefight), that pay-per-view did record numbers of well over two million buys, not topped until Mayweather faced Oscar De La Hoya in 2007.

boxing's past is studded with stinkers that broke attendance records. Look no further than Dempsey/Carpentier, the first Million-Dollar Gate ($1,789,238)

My understanding is that Mayweather made Cotto an offer he couldn’t refuse (as they were really running out of options) and Cotto informed Top Rank Tuesday night of his decision to take the fight.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Jackson View Post
    struggled against hapless Yuri Foreman before the later's knee went out
    Struggled against Foreman? I thought Cotto was in control of that fight from the get go. Also, it will be at 154 not 147 I believe. Props there to Mayweather for not creating a 'catch weight' to get the 154 title.

I'm with JaKob and PD here, I think Cotto gives Mayweather far more problems than people anticipate. Apparently Pac will fight Bradley, who I also think will be a live dog. Apparently, we will see Marquez V Peterson, obviously the winner of this will set-up a fight with the winner of Pac V Bradley. Khan will most likely fight Ortiz now the Berto fight is off and Khan wants to move to 147 sooner than later.
    Last edited by The Welterweight Epitome; 02-02-2012 at 08:31 PM.

vCash

I'll take Marquez over Peterson, Pac over Bradley and Ortiz over Khan, Ortiz has enough speed and definitely enough pop to expose that chin of Khans again, Khan isn't the hardest guy to catch.

vCash

Peterson V Marquez could be close I think, really depends if Marquez can handle the pressure of a much larger guy. We all know both Diaz and Katsidis gave him troubles with their pressure style at 135 so I can see Peterson doing well in this fight. Would still have to take Marquez though.

Pac should win but Bradley isn't a guy who just comes forward. He is very cagey, knows when to tie up and is acutely aware of the killzone. Using this along with his natural size, may well show up the strength disparity that guys like Cotto/Margarito could not.

I agree on Ortiz, he has big power and the technique to land it. I think we may see the end of Khan as a potential superstar with this fight and he will go into the mix with the rest of the talented 140s-147s.

vCash

Even if Khan beats Ortiz in dominating fashion, everyone will say that Ortiz was weak minded and damaged goods going in.

vCash

Nothing surprising here. Mayweather is fighting a guy who he should have fought years ago. Sounds a lot like his fight against Mosley.

Boxing sucks.

vCash

Pacquaio vs Bradley.

This SHOULD be a win for Pacquaio. Pacquaio can simply lay down far too much firepower on the backfoot whilst remaining elusive. However there is a strong possibility that father time is catching up with pacquaio and his capacity to maintain perpetual movement will be nowhere to be seen. If this is the case Pacquaio could find himself in some serious trouble. Bradley has some decent speed and skills but hasn't impressed me to date. His tendancy to wing punches and general crudeness needs to be addressed.
    Last edited by JaKob; 02-03-2012 at 01:28 AM.

vCash

I don't find Bradley to be the most entertaining, technically sound, quickest or any real weapon. But I think he has a stack of subtle talents that make him such a tough match-up for anybody.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Welterweight Epitome View Post
    I don't find Bradley to be the most entertaining, technically sound, quickest or any real weapon. But I think he has a stack of subtle talents that make him such a tough match-up for anybody.
    Yeah he does. He's strong, i suspect rather durable and mentally strong. He's harder to hit then he looks and deceptively quick inside. Just still rather raw at this point. I think he'd be an absolute nightmare for Khan.

vCash

yawning......

forever

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Juan C Ayllon View Post
    Random examples include Lamon Brewster's knockout of Lennox Lewis in sparring, and many more.
    Whaaaa?

vCash

I must note people are referring to Cotto not looking good of late mostly referring to the performances against Foreman and Mayorga. He certainly wasn't all too aggressive but he did show significant improvement in the fundementals subsequent to working with Emmanuel Steward. His posture and footwork improved significantly. This was to be seen again against margarito. Although he has put many hard miles on the clock since the first margarito fight he showed more efficient and effective footwork. I think he will lose against Floyd i just don't think he is as unworthy a challenger as many expect. The big question i have is does Cotto still have the fire and intensity to put on an unrelenting offensive attack. He can't wait on Floyd, he can't engage in a center ring chess match, he needs to get off first and secure some momentum. Coming forward behind his heavy left jab, ripping to the body, and imposing his will.

vCash

A real group of sour pusses here for sure ... Mayweather is fighting a damn good Cotto who gave Paq a very tough bout at 154 no less ... at 35 this is a hell of a gutsy fight for Floyd ...I have no idea what would make so many complainers here happy ut I am excited about the fight ...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HE Grant View Post
    A real group of sour pusses here for sure ... Mayweather is fighting a damn good Cotto who gave Paq a very tough bout at 154 no less ... at 35 this is a hell of a gutsy fight for Floyd ...I have no idea what would make so many complainers here happy ut I am excited about the fight ...
    Me too. Cotto is largely the consensus choice for tops at 54. Cotto probably loses; so does almost everyone else at 47 and 54 (though that may not be true as guys like Kirkland and Lara develop...though both are way too big to worry about getting the call). This and Pac-Bradley are about the best that could be asked for if not THE fight. I'll have my popcorn ready.

vCash

Agree Crold.

I think the body work of Cotto will be fundamental here. If Floyd has one thing you can possibly 'expose', that is it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Welterweight Epitome View Post
    Agree Crold.

I think the body work of Cotto will be fundamental here. If Floyd has one thing you can possibly 'expose', that is it.
    Yeah for sure. He does have a hard left jab and he can work behind it. Does he have it in him to come forward and let his hands go? does he have that confidence. I would hate to see yet another guy waiting on floyd and subsequently getting picked apart. I enjoy watching Floyd show his skills but i would really like to see him pushed. His greatest chance at success is coming forward behind the left jab and letting that left hook go to the body. Doing so at a high pace with high volume.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast