Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIP Angelo Dundee

vCash

RIP Angelo Dundee

Mr Dundee has passed away from a heart attack according to news sources.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...es-90-15494460

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...CjQ_story.html

A sad day for the sport, reflecting on what an amazing career he had, how many special moments he was involved with.

A legend, thank you Angelo.

May you rest in piece.

Josh
    Last edited by doomeddisciple; 02-01-2012 at 11:43 PM.

vCash

Re: RIP Angelo Dundee

A true boxing treasure is gone. May he RIP!

vCash

A very sad day to learn of this. What a wonderful kind and decent man. R.I.P. my good friend and thank you for all your kindness.
    We went on Johnny Carson together with Ali and on Dick Cavett together with Ali and spent great times together in Florida and at the fights all over the country.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa7eW41b8kg

Losing Wayne Kelly and Angelo in one day has been a tragic day for boxing and me personally.

R.I.P. Angie

vCash

a name synonymous to Boxing, a great iconic figure for fighter or fan alike,
    Thank You, and God Bless and keep you!

see you at Ringside.

vCash

I can't tell you how sad I was of the news of Angelo Dundee's passing. So many memories of this man's career from the 1950's to the present and the scores of champions that he guided through the sport of boxing.
    You will be greatly missed Angelo. Rest in Peace.
    Sincerely
    Mikey Capp

vCash

Oh no! He was such a kind man! Met him at the HOF a few times -- always had time for fans and such HUGE enthusiasm! One of my favourite trainers from when I was a kid until today. Condolences to all his family -- you will be missed Angelo!

-Peter

vCash

The boxing world will never be the same now that Angelo is gone. May he rest in peace and may God bless him and his family. If you didn't know Angelo you don't know what you missed. There is alot more to him than the 17 champions he trained or that he was in Ali's corner for most of his career. I lost a friend and I'll miss him. God bless you Angie.

vCash

God bless you Angelo. What a trainer, what a kind human being. You had an amazing life but so sad to hear you are gone. Rest in Peace.
    Evren

vCash

he left huge footprints. always a constant in re to being a positive & a classy ambassador for the sport. As someone else mentioned, his enthusiasm always came through. He got you energized for any event he was a part of...

I also think it shouldnt be overlooked at how much of an anchor he was for ali thru some pretty trying times. more then just a great teacher of the sport & its physical needs, he also always seem to be a psychological steadying force for ali.

In that role he also served as a positive & respected voice for ali in the media, when ali was taking so much heat in the late '60's. being from the ww2 era & respected by many of that age, he served as a buffer in his support for ali, as ali was taking a lot of cultural and political heat. He never was condescending or patronizing in re to ali in the media, he viewed and commented on ali in that regards as a young man (not a wild adolescent like youth) who had a conscience & heartfelt thought out moral stands. I always felt that helped ali gain over time begrudging respect from those who early on brought damaging heat. he seemed to be the type who was in your corner beyond just the ring. RIP.
    Last edited by HandToMouth; 02-02-2012 at 07:20 PM.

vCash

Very sad news. A all time great who train the greatest. Really it was Dundee who was the greatest. The boxing world is poorer today. I'm truly heart broken today. As I get older my childhood heroes are leaving us. R.I.P. gone but damn sure not forgotten.

vCash

Handtomouth - That point you make is so apt and really a true high watermark on Dundee's training career.

How many fighters - especially post Ali when the bigger purses came into play - Had trainers who taught them the skills, but were unable to offer that steady pressence you articulated about Mr Dundee through Ali's career.

Thinking of Tyson post the death of D'Amato is just one example I can think of.

vCash

I always felt that at the tail end of his career, Mike Tyson should have reached out to Angelo to manage him. He should have explained that he knows he has little time left in boxing and would like to go out a winner with some money. no debt, and all his marbles. Dundee would have seen that all that got done.

vCash

A true legend. What a life he had!!

+ Reply to Thread