Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: George Foreman (91) V Jimmy Young (77)

vCash

George Foreman (91) V Jimmy Young (77)

This one has been mentioned before but I did a search and could not find a thread dedicated to it.

Who here thinks the older but smarter Foreman gets the better of Young over 12 rounds?

Or does Young just have the Big Guys number regardless what version he fought?

vCash

Re: George Foreman (91) V Jimmy Young (77)

An interesting question. George was approaching 50 fights over 8 years in the Young fight and may have been less than in his prime. The old Foreman bugaboo, poor endurance, was fully on display following his near-kayo round of Jimmy, which left George spent. The last-round knockdown was as much fatigue as anything else. Old George, having solved his stamina problem in spades - was there anybody more relaxed in the ring than Old George - was slower and could be out boxed, even by the likes of Tommy Morrison. Two very different fighters, each susceptible to being decisioned by Jimmy "the Giant Killer" Young. I could see the Philadelphian 8-5 over either version of BG.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by don1234 View Post
    An interesting question. George was approaching 50 fights over 8 years in the Young fight and may have been less than in his prime. The old Foreman bugaboo, poor endurance, was fully on display following his near-kayo round of Jimmy, which left George spent. The last-round knockdown was as much fatigue as anything else. Old George, having solved his stamina problem in spades - was there anybody more relaxed in the ring than Old George - was slower and could be out boxed, even by the likes of Tommy Morrison. Two very different fighters, each susceptible to being decisioned by Jimmy "the Giant Killer" Young. I could see the Philadelphian 8-5 over either version of BG.
    Make that two for Jimmy for the reason stated by brother Don1234.

vCash

I don't think Tommy 'outboxed' George - he just ran away all night!

vCash

I thought Foreman won the '77 bout, so I think he'd win the fantasy matchup too. Young to me is just a spolier with no power who likes to clinch and grab and duck and smother and move away and hardly ever punch.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack View Post
    I thought Foreman won the '77 bout, so I think he'd win the fantasy matchup too. Young to me is just a spolier with no power who likes to clinch and grab and duck and smother and move away and hardly ever punch.
    I agree with every word except for the ultimate outcome. I can't see a prime Young, whom I think beats very few all-time top heavyweights, losing to old George, who was definitely NOT a top fighter. With Young's huge speed advantage, I think he'd avoid getting hit flush and would win a decision.

This Young could probably beat Michael Moorer as well. Just not too many other champs.

vCash

I think he is simply too weak and too much of a spoiler for the judges to give it to him. In a stinky fight, they are not going to give Young a decision over either moorer or foreman. Cold be a majority or split, but at the end of the day any close round is going to the name fighter who people want to see again, not to the slop ugly style that no one cares to see.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack View Post
    . . . but at the end of the day any close round is going to the name fighter who people want to see again, not to the slop ugly style that no one cares to see.
    True.

Which is why Young lost several close ones in the 1970s.

+ Reply to Thread