Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tommy Loughran vs James j Corbett

old school student

Tommy Loughran vs James j Corbett

Since both of these were essentially light heavys with not alot of power, but both had exeptional skill, in a 15 round fight hows it going to end?
    The tale of the Tape
    Corbett Loughran
    6'1'' 5'11 1/2''
    184 174 (1927)
    reach 73'' 73''
    age 29(pre jeffries) 25 (after gaining title)
    Who do you think the real boxing master would be?

GorDoom
    I'd lean toward Loughran. The craft had evolved considerably from Corbett's time. While Corbett was the father of the new boxing style by the time Loughran came around stylewise he was a cut above Corbett.

Not to mention Tommy was one TOUGH son of a gun. Interesting matchup, Old School!

GorDoom

Roberto Aqui
    Loughran. He had some limitations, but Corbett is not likely to expose them.

wildhawke11

Re

On the other hand if i have this correct Tunney himself sparred with an old Corbett and did he not say he learned so much from the old master and was surprised just how good the old man was, even at that stage. We know Loughran was very good. But just how good was Corbett maybe the old master did know enough to win.

Was Tunney flattering Corbett?
    Or was Corbett that good?
    I Really dont know to be honest.

old school student

Re: corbett/tunney

You indeed are right wildhawke! i read that also, tunney stated he had knowledge of things he had not yet learned. He also was amazed at his great shape at that age. I really think he was being very sinciere. My opinion is people always assume that with time boxing tactics are always far supierior to their fore fathers. But we should also take into account that their are lots of knowledge that gets lost or overlooked with time. I Mean Tommy Ryan the great middleweight of the turn of the 1900's was like a wizard of knowledge, i'm sure he knew alot more than many who followed far after him, alot can be overlooked. While some were premitive i feel many of the greats like Corbett would be able to evenly compete with many that came after. It very hard to get a handle on folks with limited film on hand, though, you need to really use your intuition. I'm leaning toward Corbett schooling Loughran, but i'm not sold by any means. It does really help reading eye witness accounts though, (1st sources), corbett was very good, how good is what i'm wondering.

+ Reply to Thread