Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roy Jones vs Joe Louis.

vCash

Roy Jones vs Joe Louis.

Don't laugh. I have two friends who are big Roy Jones fans. They say if Billy Conn can outbox him then Jones can. I'm tell them it only takes one counter right hand and the nights over. Look I like Roy Jones, But I think he made a career of taking the easy fights. HBO protected him. The Louis of 1940 vs Jones the night he fought Ruiz. Who wins and why.

vCash

Re: Roy Jones vs Joe Louis.

Just explain to them that Conn would've beaten Roy, which is the truth.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04 View Post
    Just explain to them that Conn would've beaten Roy, which is the truth.
    Already done that.

vCash

Giving Jones the benefit of all doubts here, of which there'd be many, Jones was not an active boxer like Conn, he was more of a pot-shotter. Problem is, Louis took a fine heavyweight punch, so I doubt Roy could hurt him with any single pot-shot.

Then there's the problem for Jones of when Louis catches him with a counterpunch or a lead punch. And that's the end of the story.

Gotta take Louis of 1940 by KO as soon as he lands a clean, non-jab punch, and that could be to the body, by the way. Probably in 5 rounds, unless the Joe of Schmeling #2 shows up; then it's round 1.

On fundamentals, Louis was better than Roy, so Roy's moving so far beyond his best weight to meet a guy who will parry his punches and who will land at least a few of his own, is just way too much to ask of Roy.

I'm a fan of Roy's who thinks he was as good as HBO said he was, but he wasn't beating people who belonged in the ring with Louis, much less Louis himself.

vCash

One of the keys to Roy's success was hurting an opponent early, buying respect, then boxing at his own pace until or if the opponent (and they nearly all fit Doc Kearns definition of an opponent - the fighter not expected to win) regained his confident, when Roy would usually sting him again and then coast to a win or stoppage. He even did this early in his bout with Ruiz.

Does anybody think this would apply at all to Joe Louis. As above, first counter right, hook or heavy body shot would be the beginning of the end for Jones, regardless of what he had done to "discourage" Joe up till then.

vCash

If those blazing fast Conn combinations didn't deter Louis, then Jones, Jr. wouldn't either. There is a reason why Jones, Jr. only fought the weakest, least talented heavy "champ" he could find, and only did it once.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack View Post
    If those blazing fast Conn combinations didn't deter Louis, then Jones, Jr. wouldn't either. There is a reason why Jones, Jr. only fought the weakest, least talented heavy "champ" he could find, and only did it once.
    I think people forget that James Toney beat Ruiz. Big deal. People also forget that Billy Conn was a damn good fighter that Louis took lightly.

vCash

There may indeed be some interesting and competitive rounds...- If Roy fought some of Joe's opponents..- And not the Walcott Charles Conn Calibre - if he did he might need a Pastor !!?? Farr might even be a step to far, over 15 rounds, and thats the problem for me, if i see Roy struggling and worse with Joe's opponents
    then i find it difficult see Roy achieving much with Joe Himself, Roy was fast on his feet, and Joe could be a Patient Predator, but his sheer precision will leave Roy very little to exploit, And when Roy feels a mere hint of whats locked and loaded, he will quickly redefine the meaning of success, from winning..to lasting the full course.. And Joe may take time to Manoeuvre Roy, but he will be mapping him, Timing him, and like the Ring assassin he was...those Brown Bomber Cross Hairs at some stage will align on that Pensacola Gazelle....and when they do....

vCash

Do i think Joe would win? Yes.

An easy fight? not really.

I can see Roy being a little bothersome while it lasted.

Joe was the epitome of a textbook fighter. He wasn't as slow footed as people like to allude to. He was efficient with his footwork and could cover distance quickly when he needed to. However being such a textbook fighter he was an absolute perfectionist and always needed to be in position, perfectly balanced, never really willing to sacrifice form for volume or output. This was simply the nature of the beast that was Joe Louis. This made him an awesome puncher that could always capitalize on an opening or mistake. However it would also result in him having some difficulty against guys who could be both effective and elusive. This problem is compounded further if the fighter is athletically gifted, unorthodox, and can break the 'rules' pertaining to technique and form as a result. Joe would always be systematically stalking, applying subtle pressure, measuring, and looking for openings that are few and far between. The most effective course of action in this situation is the Joe Frazier approach. Mounting an unrelenting offense, applying huge pressure, removing all the distance and time these fighters need to facilitate their style. Billy Conn would never have made it into the later rounds in the face of Fraziers swarming attack IMO.

These kind of fighters would always be somewhat of a headache for Joe IMO because of how he matches up with them stylistically. Rjj simply wouldn't have the durability to last with Joe even if Joe is landing at a relatively low rate. Roy wouldn't get away with his pot shotting. Billy would throw in combination whilst maintaining lateral movement. This was somewhat effective in neutralizing Joe's output. Roy never threw with the same volume.

Joe Louis by devestating knockout after several frustrating rounds against a cagey and elusive opponent who is unwilling to engage.

+ Reply to Thread