Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: overeem fails drug test

vCash

vCash

Re: overeem fails drug test

He hasn't tested positive for a banned substence.

His testostoerone to epitestosterone ratio exceeds 10.

So is his level 11 or 111? He he engaged in TRT like Sonnen, Hendo and Rampage have all admited to doing either legally or being busted?

Disapointing but - I don't think thats the end of it.

vCash

Like there's any doubt Overeem has been doping for years. And he regularly fails to comply with requests for urine tests like it's somehow confusing. Without roids, he'd be getting dominated in the LH class by Jon Jones and others.

The UFC should get serious about this and go to lifetime bans. Otherwise, it's the same stupid circle-jerk as in other sports, and frankly it's incredibly unfair to the clean athletes and possibly dangerous to them to be fighting roided-up fighters like Alistair Overeem.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Frank View Post
    Like there's any doubt Overeem has been doping for years. And he regularly fails to comply with requests for urine tests like it's somehow confusing. Without roids, he'd be getting dominated in the LH class by Jon Jones and others.

The UFC should get serious about this and go to lifetime bans. Otherwise, it's the same stupid circle-jerk as in other sports, and frankly it's incredibly unfair to the clean athletes and possibly dangerous to them to be fighting roided-up fighters like Alistair Overeem.
    There was no huge suprise here. I always give the benefit of the doubt until the evidence reveals itself but there need to be better measures to ensure that evidence is available and cheats are caught.

Personally not a fan of lifetime bans. I believe in large suspensions, fines, but ultimately i believe in guys getting another chance at redemption. If fighters absolutely know they could be subjected to true RANDOM testing in or out of competition that should be an effective deterrent. The cost of testing everyone on the roster in accordance with the most effective random testing protocols is going to be rather large. There should atleast be a random testing quota which they expend on anyone on the roster. Minimizes costs and ensures cheating carries with it huge risks.

vCash

bas rutten has tweeted he is hearing the fight may still happen.

reem has aplied for a licence and a hearing date set on the 24th.

theory is that reem may show he was recently diagnosed w low test and was administered synthetic test. He would prob have to show records that his total test was monitored and within normal ranges and the ratio was just off because of the synth test in his system.

NSAC only requires notification a couple weeks before the fight for medical exemption.
    Last edited by jlupi; 04-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JaKob View Post
    Personally not a fan of lifetime bans. I believe in large suspensions, fines, but ultimately i believe in guys getting another chance at redemption.
    Just look at the size of Overeem's head. It's huge, much larger than when he was in Pride. A head doesn't get that way by lifting weights with one's arms and legs, crunches, etc.

Just like Barry Bonds, whose head blew up in size.

As to JaKob's belief in redemption, I don't have the same belief, not as to most cheaters for sure. Cheaters in sports do it again and again, just like numerous classes of criminals do it again and again. Me, I'm tired of giving them suspensions just to have them go and do it again, and they're testing the SAME people over again who fail the same test AGAIN . . . the "test-fail-suspend-test-fail again-suspend again" merry-go-round seems the cheating athletes' way of just screwing the fans and laughing at us, mocking the rules, disrespecting their competitors and the sport, etc. Just the notion that a sport will have ongoing, random-or-not, drug testing is DEMEANING to the SPORT. By making cheating and drug testing a huge thing, with violations occurring every month, it is very demeaning to the sport.

By having Barry Bonds's or Ben Johnson's or Overeem's drug tests as THE feature story every f__king month for the rest of their careers--instead of having a good story about the sporting event itself-- is something that I as a fan don't want to see anymore, because it's sickening. And performance-enhancing drugs have been a major story for 30 years or so in several sports, and it goes back to the early 1970s, if not earlier, with the East German women swimmers, etc. But really before that even. It's ruined a generation and more of athletes and jaded fans. And these athletes will continue to dope because it PAYS to dope AND TO GET CAUGHT, in terms of publicity and the fact that a suspension for getting caught represents only a one-time limited cost on the road to riches.

Then the idiot apologists say, "Well, you know, there's no actual proof that the roids really helped him hit more home runs or run faster or lift heavier weights or heal faster." Fine, then WHY are they taking the drugs in the first place? Seems like the athletes KNOW the drugs are helping them even though their apologists are blind.

And this circus should continue all because one or two out of a hundred might be "redeemed"? How about those one or two simply not cheating in the first place . . . Deciding to take steroids is a considered process, and they go back again and again for those injections; it's not like on only one day they "slipped up" morally and went to the needle. It's more like Mike Tyson choosing to bite a fighter every day in the gym or in every actual bout: it's not ONE foul at all.
    Last edited by Michael Frank; 04-11-2012 at 01:00 PM.

vCash

Just look at the size of Overeem's head. It's huge, much larger than when he was in Pride.
    I dont know fuller in the cheeks, but ive seen him made fun of because his head seems small for his body. That said we all were close to 100% he used steroids regardless of whether he passed all the tests in the world.

vCash

Just look at the size of Overeem's head. It's huge, much larger than when he was in Pride. A head doesn't get that way by lifting weights with one's arms and legs, crunches, etc.

Just like Barry Bonds, whose head blew up in size.

As to JaKob's belief in redemption, I don't have the same belief, not as to most cheaters for sure. Cheaters in sports do it again and again, just like numerous classes of criminals do it again and again. Me, I'm tired of giving them suspensions just to have them go and do it again, and they're testing the SAME people over again who fail the same test AGAIN . . . the "test-fail-suspend-test-fail again-suspend again" merry-go-round seems the cheating athletes' way of just screwing the fans and laughing at us, mocking the rules, disrespecting their competitors and the sport, etc. Just the notion that a sport will have ongoing, random-or-not, drug testing is DEMEANING to the SPORT. By making cheating and drug testing a huge thing, with violations occurring every month, it is very demeaning to the sport.

By having Barry Bonds's or Ben Johnson's or Overeem's drug tests as THE feature story every f__king month for the rest of their careers--instead of having a good story about the sporting event itself-- is something that I as a fan don't want to see anymore, because it's sickening. And performance-enhancing drugs have been a major story for 30 years or so in several sports, and it goes back to the early 1970s, if not earlier, with the East German women swimmers, etc. But really before that even. It's ruined a generation and more of athletes and jaded fans. And these athletes will continue to dope because it PAYS to dope AND TO GET CAUGHT, in terms of publicity and the fact that a suspension for getting caught represents only a one-time limited cost on the road to riches.

Then the idiot apologists say, "Well, you know, there's no actual proof that the roids really helped him hit more home runs or run faster or lift heavier weights or heal faster." Fine, then WHY are they taking the drugs in the first place? Seems like the athletes KNOW the drugs are helping them even though their apologists are blind.

And this circus should continue all because one or two out of a hundred might be "redeemed"? How about those one or two simply not cheating in the first place . . . Deciding to take steroids is a considered process, and they go back again and again for those injections; it's not like on only one day they "slipped up" morally and went to the needle. It's more like Mike Tyson choosing to bite a fighter every day in the gym or in every actual bout: it's not ONE foul at all.
    Theres no doubt Alistair has been juicing for quite sometime. I certainly don't think repeat offenders should be able to continue fighting. However i generally tend to side with the notion that a fighter should have ONE chance after serving a lengthy suspension and large fine to resume their careers. Much like we have seen with the likes of Sugar Shane Mosley. I would agree with a life time ban if they repeat offend. Josh Barnett being a prime candidate.

vCash

Alistair Overeem denied license
    Updated: April 24, 2012, 6:06 PM ET
    By Brett Okamoto | ESPN.com
    RECOMMEND68TWEET17COMMENTS23EMAILPRINT
    LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously Tuesday to deny UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem's request for a fighting license, but will allow him to re-apply in nine months instead of the traditional 12.

The nine-month waiting period pre-dates to March 27, the day Overeem tested positive for an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio during a random drug test in Las Vegas. The test showed a ratio of 14:1; the NSAC limit is 6:1.

While Overeem has not received a suspension of any kind, the NSAC made its expectation clear the fighter will not apply for a license in another state during those nine months.

UFC president Dana White has said the promotion would respect the commission's ruling.

Overeem had been scheduled to compete for the heavyweight title against Junior dos Santos at UFC 146 on May 26 in Las Vegas. The UFC announced April 20 that Overeem had been pulled off the card because of licensing issues.

The Dutch heavyweight, who declined comment to media members after the hearing, told the commission he had removed himself from the card in order to deal with the circumstances properly.

"I gave up the title fight because I think my position (was no longer) credible," Overeem told the commission. "Believe me when I tell you the title fight is my dream. This was going to be the crown of my career.

"I'm giving it up to take a couple steps back and prove that I'm a clean fighter."

Overeem stated under oath the positive test was because of a prescription from Dr. Hector Oscar Molina for an anti-inflammatory mixture used to treat a rib injury.

The two first met in June 2011 at a Strikeforce event in Dallas, during which Overeem fought in the main event. Molina has served as a ringside physician for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation since 2005.

In January 2012, Overeem consulted the Dallas-based physician and received an injection of what Molina referred to as "tetramix." The fighter swore at that time he was unaware the substance contained aqueous testosterone.

Molina, who attended the hearing, testified to the NSAC he failed to relay the information to Overeem. In 2004, the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners disciplined Molina for irresponsibly prescribing drugs over the Internet.

In addition to the injection on January 12, Overeem stated Molina provided him with a vial containing two more doses of the substance. He then testified he injected himself with one of those doses on March 23 in Las Vegas, four days before the test.

He presented the vial and the remaining substance to the NSAC.

"I think the most important thing is to establish that it wasn't used with the intent of performance enhancing," said Overeem's attorney, David Chesnoff.

The commission vigorously questioned Overeem regarding his conduct prior to the random drug test on March 27, which was conducted immediately after a UFC press conference at the MGM Grand Hotel.

Executive director Keith Kizer stated that all six fighters present were informed beforehand a random test would take place at the conclusion of the press conference. Following the conference, Kizer said Overeem "sped out" and jumped into a car.

Overeem told the commission he had not been informed a test would take place and that he left the press conference quickly after his manager informed him that Overeem's previous management team, Golden Glory, planned to publicly serve him legal documents.

"I have had legal issues with my former management for the past six months," Overeem said. "They have done everything they can to harass me."

Commission chairman Raymond "Skip" Avansino stated he has, "no reason to think (Overeem) juices himself with steroids," but ultimately held him responsible for the elevated testosterone levels.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jlupi View Post
    Alistair Overeem denied license
    Updated: April 24, 2012, 6:06 PM ET
    By Brett Okamoto | ESPN.com
    RECOMMEND68TWEET17COMMENTS23EMAILPRINT
    LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously Tuesday to deny UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem's request for a fighting license, but will allow him to re-apply in nine months instead of the traditional 12.

The nine-month waiting period pre-dates to March 27, the day Overeem tested positive for an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio during a random drug test in Las Vegas. The test showed a ratio of 14:1; the NSAC limit is 6:1.

While Overeem has not received a suspension of any kind, the NSAC made its expectation clear the fighter will not apply for a license in another state during those nine months.

UFC president Dana White has said the promotion would respect the commission's ruling.

Overeem had been scheduled to compete for the heavyweight title against Junior dos Santos at UFC 146 on May 26 in Las Vegas. The UFC announced April 20 that Overeem had been pulled off the card because of licensing issues.

The Dutch heavyweight, who declined comment to media members after the hearing, told the commission he had removed himself from the card in order to deal with the circumstances properly.

"I gave up the title fight because I think my position (was no longer) credible," Overeem told the commission. "Believe me when I tell you the title fight is my dream. This was going to be the crown of my career.

"I'm giving it up to take a couple steps back and prove that I'm a clean fighter."

Overeem stated under oath the positive test was because of a prescription from Dr. Hector Oscar Molina for an anti-inflammatory mixture used to treat a rib injury.

The two first met in June 2011 at a Strikeforce event in Dallas, during which Overeem fought in the main event. Molina has served as a ringside physician for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation since 2005.

In January 2012, Overeem consulted the Dallas-based physician and received an injection of what Molina referred to as "tetramix." The fighter swore at that time he was unaware the substance contained aqueous testosterone.

Molina, who attended the hearing, testified to the NSAC he failed to relay the information to Overeem. In 2004, the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners disciplined Molina for irresponsibly prescribing drugs over the Internet.

In addition to the injection on January 12, Overeem stated Molina provided him with a vial containing two more doses of the substance. He then testified he injected himself with one of those doses on March 23 in Las Vegas, four days before the test.

He presented the vial and the remaining substance to the NSAC.

"I think the most important thing is to establish that it wasn't used with the intent of performance enhancing," said Overeem's attorney, David Chesnoff.

The commission vigorously questioned Overeem regarding his conduct prior to the random drug test on March 27, which was conducted immediately after a UFC press conference at the MGM Grand Hotel.

Executive director Keith Kizer stated that all six fighters present were informed beforehand a random test would take place at the conclusion of the press conference. Following the conference, Kizer said Overeem "sped out" and jumped into a car.

Overeem told the commission he had not been informed a test would take place and that he left the press conference quickly after his manager informed him that Overeem's previous management team, Golden Glory, planned to publicly serve him legal documents.

"I have had legal issues with my former management for the past six months," Overeem said. "They have done everything they can to harass me."

Commission chairman Raymond "Skip" Avansino stated he has, "no reason to think (Overeem) juices himself with steroids," but ultimately held him responsible for the elevated testosterone levels.
    Why would the comission EVER give that kind of validity to Alistair Overeem's absolute crock of shit statement.

I think i take back what i said about giving guys another chance after they cheat.

Michael was right.

Fuckem.

As a fan i don't like my intelligence being insulted with such disgusting bogus excuses. When will an athlete ever just say 'I DID IT'

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JaKob View Post
    Why would the comission EVER give that kind of validity to Alistair Overeem's absolute crock of shit statement.

I think i take back what i said about giving guys another chance after they cheat.

Michael was right.

Fuckem.

As a fan i don't like my intelligence being insulted with such disgusting bogus excuses. When will an athlete ever just say 'I DID IT'
    Glad we agree, JaKob!

And I definitely agree with this statement in an earlier post of yours, i.e., with your limitation of just ONE do-over: " . . . i generally tend to side with the notion that a fighter should have ONE chance after serving a lengthy suspension and large fine to resume their careers. Much like we have seen with the likes of Sugar Shane Mosley. I would agree with a life time ban if they repeat offend."

I'm not heartless; but let's not have them circle-jerk us for years. One screw-up (I mean, flagrant cheating), o.k., then Strike TWO and they're out of there!! No excuses, no more drug tests, no more appeals, no more comebacks . . . just bye bye. Stop degrading the sport and making us fans look askance at the athletes.

+ Reply to Thread