Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather-Cotto Results & Discussion - May/5/12

vCash

Re: Mayweather-Cotto Results & Discussion - May/5/12

Nice fight. Mayweather looked good and we finally got to see him in there with a guy that made him work for the win.

Mayweather looked good but I came away thinking that Pacman would have a great chance against Mayweather.

vCash

Maybe it is me but I think Floyd is slipping a little. I watched the 24/7 series and twice on it he was eating some fried chicken and chips, I have no athletic knowledge at all but isn't this food that should not be touched when in training?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
    Maybe it is me but I think Floyd is slipping a little. I watched the 24/7 series and twice on it he was eating some fried chicken and chips, I have no athletic knowledge at all but isn't this food that should not be touched when in training?
    Alot of that... doesn't watch tapes, doesn't worry about what the other fighter is going to do, eat what he wants and does what he wants.... is clearly just a persona he has adopted. He has always been absolutely consistent in maintaining his conditioning. Im sure he can get away with eating a little junk here and there but i highly doubt he eats like that off camera all too often. Mayweather makes things look easy but the truth of the matter is he has lived and breathed boxing since he was a kid and has undeniable work ethic and dedication to his craft.

I really don't see any signs of slipping. I just see a more difficult stylistic matchup than he is use to. Cotto has a solid skillset and pushed forward to take him out of his comfort zone at points.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
    He had a bit of takeaway food. No big deal. I wouldn't say that was the first time either. Did you see the fight? Did he look like he was slipping in the actual ring?

vCash

In the post fight presser: Floyd said on fight night he weighed 4 lbs less than he weighed in at. 147 vs. 151? How did he lose 4 lbs between weigh in and fight night, assuming he didn't deliberately lose weight? I mean, he hardly sweat trained the 30 hrs before the fight?

Administrator
    vCash

I wouldn't say Floyd is slipping but he definitely fought differently.
    I also thought he missed a bit more than what we are used to seeing.
    Whether it was slipping or just Floyd fighting a little carelessly, he was still effective.

Speaking of being potentially being careless, the first ringer of Floyd's noggin, Corely had a surprising TKO win over McCloskey the other night.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity View Post
    I wouldn't say Floyd is slipping but he definitely fought differently.
    I also thought he missed a bit more than what we are used to seeing.
    Whether it was slipping or just Floyd fighting a little carelessly, he was still effective.

Speaking of being potentially being careless, the first ringer of Floyd's noggin, Corely had a surprising TKO win over McCloskey the other night.
    McCloskey just hasn't got what it takes. Offence is very limited, and his defence is pretty poor. Odd stoppage, but there was no complaints from Paul afterwards. Corley looked his age, yet Paul still struggled to do much against him.

vCash

A good, crisp fight, probably the best one involving Mayweather I've ever seen. I had it maybe a round or two closer than the official judging, but can't complain, really. Floyd clearly won the fight with an impressive performance in which he had to adjust tactics and deal with someone who wouldn't stop coming. Often, when people have a little success against Mayweather, he just cranks it up a notch, dazzles them with some whiz-bang combinations for a round or two, and forces them into a defensive shell. Cotto, to his credit, never stopped trying to win. He just had a little less than Floyd that night.

Seems like Mayweather and Merchant made up, which is smart for both of them. But I have to say, even though I don't like Mayweather's thug persona all that much, he has a point about the HBO post-fight interviews, because they do nothing but dump on him, no matter what happened in the ring. He put in a masterful, gutsy, spirited performance, and all Merchant wanted to talk about was how good Cotto was and how it felt to be headed for jail.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb View Post
    McCloskey just hasn't got what it takes. Offence is very limited, and his defence is pretty poor. Odd stoppage, but there was no complaints from Paul afterwards. Corley looked his age, yet Paul still struggled to do much against him.
    yeah I noticed this about him 2 fights ago, another Hyped Hopeful, it like parents thinking their kids are better than they are, thats the kind of presentations we're getting with boxing these years. and others seem to fall away.

britain had choi & america had those twins, what became of them?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jim glen View Post
    yeah I noticed this about him 2 fights ago, another Hyped Hopeful?
    So true, Jim. If you can't beat a shell of a former good fighter you aren't going anywehere. Did you see Khan-McCloskey? That was a horrible fight. McCloskey was so limited in offence. In to survive and spoil.

vCash

I missed the commentary. I had on headphones. Kudos to me and Styles P. To the fight. I am with those that say Mayweather may have slippped a little bit. But also Cotto was on him like Castilio was years ago. Similar fight. Floyd won, but had a rough night. He looked at times like he was out of ideas and "thank God I have the awesome defense, because those were close" Cotto was on him all night. Cotto did start slowing down and Floyd got to him. I think should have tried to stop him. That would have made a point.

He will not beat the Pacquaio I know with that performance. He will need better timing and less Bieber. (Seeing Bieber in a boxing ring was something else) Seeing all those belts held up high looked like a Roman army's banner's marching forward. I was completely impressed.

BTW, him and Pacquaio are cleaning out whatever division they are both fighting in. It seems like their is truely no one else to fight.

vCash

Cotto was on Floyd a fair bit, but never too bothersome. And, Floyd looked stronger for a lot of the fight, and was able to push Cotto back, walk him down, and do damage.

vCash

That's the beauty of boxing.

So many ways to slice and dice the fight that just went down and to speculate on the whys and wherefores and future ramifications.

Imo, Floyd is fighting different. In recent fights, both his output and aggression have been gradually increased.

However, I think that Mayweather has perhaps considerately morphed his style in response to a self identified measure of slippage. In other words, with some physical deterioration impacting on his movement and signature defense, Floyd has adapted himself in order to optimise the sum of his current capabilities. Maybe, drawing an even longer bow, Mayweather is specifically drilling himself for an ultimate showdown with Manny in which he may anticipate periods during the fight in which he will have no choice but to stand and fight it out. Better to test the waters now.

At their very best, defensive savants generally exhibit low volume output and aggression. They simply keep their opposition down to even less effective offense. The day comes when the defensive abilities aren't quite what they used to be and, if the volume of offense remains low and unchanged, the former wizard of defense gets eaten up with nothing to ward off the onslaught of their pointedly aggressive opposition.

Perhaps pre-emptively in part, Mayweather has traded off some accent on his defense for increased offense. Imo, Jones Jr is the perfect example of a pointedly defensive, previously untouchable guy who, without at least some prior to or real time adapation, went absolutely bust when cracks started to appear in his reflexive armour. Those cracks gave Jones Jr cause to exacerbate the problem by endeavouring to shell up even more. Thereafter, Roy was basically ravaged by any opposition with reasonable go forward aggression.

I think Mayweather has perhaps made a very wise election at this stage of his career to up the output and aggression as there has been some indication of cracks appearing in the security of his defense imo. At least from Mosley to Ortiz and now to Cotto, I think there has been signs of some slip but there has also definitely been a deliberate response to that slip with a gradual infusion of increased aggression and output. So, while I think there has been some slip I also think that Floyd has probably also made himself a bit more vulnerable by virtue of his own responsive shift in accent. I understand that the points of reference are obviously somewhat inextricable and prone to mis-identification but at least as I see it, it's a basic case of cause (some slip) and effect (adpated style).

Having said all that, I think the current version of Floyd may be the most viable version of Floyd available at this stage of his career.

Otherwise, without the reflexes to carry it off, Floyd might've ultimately ended up being a very poor imitation of his former, primarily defensive self.

I'm a Pac guy but this current, net sum version of Floyd perhaps rates a better chance against a prime Pac than the prior version of Mayweather imo.

Though I would still tab Pac the winner I think the fight would obviously be that much more exciting. Maybe even a classic.

Imo, even at Floyd's defensive best, prime Pac with unlimited offense would've eaten up Mayweather up.

vCash

He had a bit of takeaway food. No big deal. I wouldn't say that was the first time either. Did you see the fight? Did he look like he was slipping in the actual ring?
    Floyd got hit a little bit more than he normally does and appeared to me that the exchanges were not to his liking. Don't get me wrong, Floyd is my favourite fighter and I love him but he appeared just a little vulnerable.

Not that Cotto was going to beat him but a faster, more powerful man like Manny will give Floyd a real fright.

If I was Manny, I would offer Floyd the fight in November/December this year, see how the 2-3 months of jail time has affected him.

vCash

Maybe Floyd has slipped a little. I really didn't see anything that makes this glaringly obvious to be honest.

Mayweather has never shown a lot of movement at welterweight. He is technically superb but in order to maintain his defensive prowess he needs to always be in position maintaining his rigid defensive stance. He also needs to maintain a relatively conservative output. He has got away with this style because so many fighters have been willing participants in a Mayweather chess match. They wait on him, engage in a boxing match, try to look for that one big opening to land that one big shot. Ortiz in their short fight intermittently pushed the pace and put Floyd on the ropes at points but for the most of the fight he was far too tentative, fighting at the center of the ring, and at points even took the backfoot. Marquez and Hatton tried to push forward but were both undersized at WW. Mosley stood at the end of Floyds range looking for a big opening to pierce and got taken apart. Cotto and De La Hoya however both pushed the pace and had the most success. Floyd is there to be hit with the jab and if he is being smothered and worked on the inside he has no choice but to let his hands go to offset this activity and keep his opponent off him. This opens him up to being hit. This is why he was hit more, this is why it wasn't an easy fight.

vCash

Certainly there were a number of instances in which Cotto applied the strategy favoured by many to give Mayweather no choice bu to mix it up.

However, I still hold that Mayweather has definitely upped his aggression and output. I think that this was evident from the outset and in a number of instances throughout the course of the fight without Floyd being necessarily forced to do so. The give and take exchanges were not always as a result of Floyd being forced to the ropes or only because of Cotto's own advances - there were enough examles of Floyd himself moving into Cotto and, imo, looking to punch with reasonble aggression and authority. At times, along the ropes, I feel that IF Mayweather truly wanted to get out he could've done better than he did. That's not to sell short Cotto's ability to keep Mayweather pinned for a time at any rate . Also, while we might wish for a guy who isn't tentative and simply walks through Mayweather and punches for all he is worth, we shouldn't dismiss Mayweather's evasive and counter punching work - particularly now, as I see it, with Mayweather punching with a bit more purpose.

As it was, Cotto showed some real steel but it was no illusion that Miguel was receiving a bit of going over at times on his way in but he soaked it up and got to land his own fair share of leather.

vCash

Jakob makes a point I really believe in. Floyd's movement was never as good as he rose in weight, and that is to be expected. Of all his WW-SWW bouts, I believe vs. Cotto he was a fast and sharp and quick in all areas as he was in any of them bouts. He looked as strong if not stronger than any previous WW-SWW bouts. Bigger too. I mean, he carried himself bigger.

vCash

I see the point PD is making about Floyd being aggressive at points where he seemingly wasn't forced to be. However i still think that is the outcome of this stylistic matchup and not decline. To deal with that pressure without getting outhustled and having to establish consistent lateral movement which surrenders all momentum to the aggressor which exepends huge amounts of energy he needed to punch with some authority and get some respect and that he did. At times making Cotto tentative and even putting him on the backfoot.

As it pertains to movement. I personally think that he absolutely needs to use movement against Pacquaio. As a puncher Pacquaio is unique. He can throw with speed, power, in combination whilst on his toes from an array of angles that are far from the norm. Anyone that can put Mosley on his ass with a single left hand can really crack. Those left hands come so quick from strange angles and if Floyd was to stand infront of Pacquaio he be in a situation where he had to navigate an incredibly small margin of error. As good as Mayweather is he is hittable and Pacquaio with his angles and from his southpaw stance would sneak something through and it could be fight changing. Like Marquez Mayweather really would have to be vigiliant and utilize lateral movement keeping Pacquaio turning and using a consistent output to disrupt his rhythm. It would be interesting to see how Floyd would cope getting on his bike and letting his hands go. I think he'd look a little more vunerable and a little less comfortable than many imagine.

I favour Floyd to win however i do not think he can get away with standing infront of Pacquaio and pot shotting. Pacquaio is too dangerous and the margin of error just to thin.

Administrator
    vCash

I think its funny and yet fitting how the last 2 fights have changed the look of a potential Pac/PBF matchup.
    Had PBF blown out Cotto with complete ease last weekend, that Pac fight was back to looking not-so interesting anymore in the wake of his last pedestrian performance.
    What now remains to be seen is how Pac copes with the ugliness of buttin' Tim Bradley.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JaKob View Post
    I favour Floyd to win however i do not think he can get away with standing infront of Pacquaio and pot shotting. Pacquaio is too dangerous and the margin of error just to thin.

That line sums it up perfectly for my historic view of their proposed fight. And even more so after analyzing this last fight. Lets see how Manny looks against a hungry for glory fighter.

vCash

However i still think that is the outcome of this stylistic matchup and not decline. To deal with that pressure without getting outhustled and having to establish consistent lateral movement which surrenders all momentum to the aggressor which exepends huge amounts of energy he needed to punch with some authority and get some respect and that he did. At times making Cotto tentative and even putting him on the backfoot. >>>>>

Floyd has been more aggressive for his last few fights. I see a slip. He's getting hit more (still great defence and reflexes) and w age its natural that he is unable to move the same for long periods.

vCash

What we saw from Mayweather was a combination of slippage (of course! he is 35) and the fact that Cotto is a world class fighter although faded who at times fought using the correct game plan against Mayweather.

I have been saying for a long while that Mayweather has been very careful in choosing his oppostion for years. We haven't seen him in the ring with anyone that could pose a true problem. The last fighter who had the goods to pose any problems was an undersized Hatton, unfocused Zab Judah in 2006 and before then Josue Luis Castillo in 2002. In previous posts I stated that I felt that Mayweather would win but was interested to see how much Mayweather has declined. Mayweather was impossible to rate becasue we hadnt seen him in there with the best that could push his limits. I think on Saturday we finally saw what he is. He is a damn good fighter but not unbeatable. From what I saw on Saturday I think that Pacman has the goods to beat him.

vCash

From what I saw on Saturday I think that Pacman has the goods to beat him.>>>

that of course is dependent on what pac has left as he to seems on the decline

vCash

Putting Floyd's motive aside for the moment (be it a general and increasingly established morph in style (possibly due to some decline) or specifically geared toward and in anticipation of Cotto's own style, Mayweather's increased aggression and volume was pre-meditated and evident from the outset.

It's a much different proposition to suggest that Cotto totally forced Mayweather to fight as such in real time, leaving Floyd no choice but to stand and return in kind.

That has been my point from the beginning.

I understand the conjecture on slippage or no slippage. The rating of a fighter's should always account for the quality of the opponent before him so the reference points are relative and the argument can naturally go in circles.

The method and tools Cotto brought to the table will always make it that much more difficult for a fighter of Mayweather's ilk but that doesn't preclude Mayweather having slipped a tad in his defensive abilities any way. I see Mayweather getting hit that bit more myself. Certainly, an older and lower Mosley caught absolutely Floyd cold, like he had never been caught before.

As Kid stated, of course at age 35 Mayweather cannot anticipate, see or reactively avoid punches like he used to. Doesn't mean he is shot or no longer defensively viable. Just means he isn't quite what he once was and I'm speculating that Mayweather had morphed his style somewhat in responde to some slip and this morph has been evident in his more recent fights, not just Cotto or even Ortiz. Even so, it is not unreasonable to suggest that Mayweather may have been even more pointedly aggressive and busy given the prospect of facing Cotto.

Where is Pac at? I thought Pac was that much less busy and vital against Mosley. Could have been an off night, ill motivation or Pac simply doing enough to win. With only 1 fight to speculate possible decline at that time, the jury was still well and truly out on that question. Then came the Marquez fight but the waters were still muddied given the stylistic issues that Marquez would present to Manny at any time.

So, the question on Pac is still somewhat open. However, as with the citing of Mayweather's age and the assumption of some natural decline, so it goes with Pac. At his best, Pac's intensity and outupt was off the charts. It could not get any better but it certainly could take a natural downturn before too long imo.

As the smaller guy sticking his neck out, there is a multiplying effect in terms of wear/tear on Pacquiao imo. The guy is tiny (really only about 5'5" - eye to eye with Roach and possible not even). While size (or lack thereof) hasn't prevented Pac from winning, size still factors into the equation and Pac has always had to be that much better and work that much harder than his larger opposition. Never a truly easy fight for Manny even though he has ultimately made it look easy more often than not. With perfect focus and judgment a tight rope walker can make it look easy but the penalty for one wrong step can be astronomically high and against his larger opposition, that type of danger has always been there for a Pac imo.
    Last edited by PD99; 05-08-2012 at 08:20 PM.

vCash

PS - I'm interested as to how you guys rate Mayweather's chin on what it has endured thus far.

While Floyd still avoids the flush connection by and large he has been caught a bit of late. As a Pacman fan I might've preferred to hear some tinkle but Floyd has yet to show any potential of crumbling or folding his tent upon a truly big connection. Mosley's isolated shots were pretty nice and they hurt Mayweather for sure (quite likely hurt anyone) but Floyd still had the presence of mind to hold and collect his senses before too long and fight on without reserve though aided and abeted by Mosley's gassing shortly thereafter.

Certainly, Mayweather doesn't like getting hit (who does?) and getting hit that much more than he is used to would obviously be quite disconcerting.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PD99 View Post
    PS - I'm interested as to how you guys rate Mayweather's chin on what it has endured thus far.

While Floyd still avoids the flush connection by and large he has been caught a bit of late. As a Pacman fan I might've preferred to hear some tinkle but Floyd has yet to show any potential of crumbling or folding his tent upon a truly big connection. Mosley's isolated shots were pretty nice and they hurt Mayweather for sure (quite likely hurt anyone) but Floyd still had the presence of mind to hold and collect his senses before too long and fight on without reserve though aided and abeted by Mosley's gassing shortly thereafter.

Certainly, Mayweather doesn't like getting hit (who does?) and getting hit that much more than he is used to would obviously be quite disconcerting.
    His Chin seems reasonably solid. That being said his defensive prowess and absolute composure and control throughout the fight and specifically when hurt allows him to prevent any effective followup. It's hard to judge. I do however think Pacquaio can hurt Floyd and unlike others can follow up with the kind of speed, intensity, and angles, and sheer volume that would allow him to penetrate Floyd's defense. '

Like him or Loathe him every sign points towards him being a resilient fighter.

vCash

Thanks Jakob. Totally agree with that opinion.

With a guy adept at defense and with the ring smarts to go into damage control when hurt, measuring the steel in his chin isn't always clear cut but yes, Floyd's chin appears quite resilient. And again I agree that the key to Pac is ability to not only hurt Floyd but follow up with precision and speed.

Also, I've only piece mealed my second viewing of the Mayweather-Cotto fight but did any one notice how Cotto deliberately placed his gloves at the point of Floyd's elbows (when Floyd was endeavouring to cover up on the ropes)? It seems Cotto was manouvreing (sp?) Floyd's arms at times before he (Cotto) unloaded shots. Also, at least once, it appeared that Cotto clearly knocked Mayweather's elbow to clear a path for his next shot. A rather considerate approach. Anyway......

vCash

Regarding Pacman and Mayweaher's chin, I don't see Pacman landing the kind of shot that Mosley landed on Floyd. That was a very fast and hard overhand right. Flush, wobbled, and within seconds Floyd was recovered and firing back. Manny's best punch to land is the right hook. Floyd ain't getting caught with a power straight left. He could, in an exchange, get caught solid with either the right or left hook. That is the danger to Floyd.

vCash

Regarding Pacman and Mayweaher's chin, I don't see Pacman landing the kind of shot that Mosley landed on Floyd. That was a very fast and hard overhand right. Flush, wobbled, and within seconds Floyd was recovered and firing back. Manny's best punch to land is the right hook. Floyd ain't getting caught with a power straight left. He could, in an exchange, get caught solid with either the right or left hook. That is the danger to Floyd.
    Would have to disagree. Floyd is far from unhittable and he has been hit by the left and hurt before. He absolutely can be tagged with a left hand. Considering the positioning of Floyds left shoulder and the way he tucks his chin behind it and pulls back he's more likely to get caught with a left down the pipe than a right. We have seen this from both Corley and Judah. Have to take into account the way Manny throws it. On his toes thrown with immense speed, thrown short, from bizzare angles often as he steps to the side. As good as Floyd's defense is a Manny Pacquaio is far from your conventional power puncher and that kind of left hand can slip through anyones defense. How often and with what result is the question.

I don't think Floyd would get hit with it often enough to be stopped and thus i'd favour him over the distance. That being said i wouldn't rule out manny sneaking through the kind of shot he hit Mosley with which would put Floyd in real trouble. Aslong as Floyd establishes some movement, is constantly adjusting the range, making little half steps and stepping in and popping Pacquaio with a consistent output with decent volume he should win a clear points decision.

vCash

Concerning Mayweather's chin and defense...

Defense:

I saw that he relied on his shoulder-roll to much and when the heat is really on he is completely shut into it for a spell, until he can gather himself and counter back. Pacquaio's speed is so fast and he throws in combination all the time that Mayweather roll could be a hinderance. He should be moving around the ring more with his hand up and jabbing instead of always looking to sit inside of a very small and dangerous pocket, only to get in a few decent shot.

Chin:

I think Floyd has a solid chin but he like one else can be buzzed if caught off guard. I think when he has been buzzed it was absolutely the hardest punch his opponent threw, it landed, and his body responded. I also think he gets buzzed because is "asleep" in front of his opponent. Whenever he is under fire he never get hurt, even if he is tagged because he is aware that fire if coming at him.

Manny will find Mayweather, Mayweather will swell more that likely, but he will not be dropped and stopped because he will be as on point at all time because should know what he is in with.

I hope that made sense...I am sure there are typos as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast