Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saul Alvarez- Shane Mosley Breakdown

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Saul Alvarez- Shane Mosley Breakdown

THE BREAKDOWN: Saul Alvarez-Shane Mosley
    Written by Lee Wylie/Sweet Science

Saul Alvarez-Shane Mosley:

at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, on HBO PPV
    12 rounds, for Alvarez's WBC junior middleweight title

No matter how you slice it, things do not look promising for Shane Mosley as he heads into his bout with Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez. At nearly 41 years-old, Mosley 46-7-1-1 {39 kos} has shown severe signs of decline lately. Each of Mosley's seven career losses have taken place within his last seventeen fights - three of those losses, along with one draw, have occurred during in his last six bouts. Mosley's last win -a stunning knockout of Antonio Margarito back in 2009 - was the last time Mosley resembled anything close to his former great self. The sweetest days of' Sugar Shane 'appear to be long gone.

Saul Alvarez 39-0-1 {29 kos} on the other hand,seems to be entering his prime. At 21 years-old, Alvarez is one of boxing's brightest stars.His popularity among his countrymen,along with his no nonsense style of fighting - not to mention his unusual look for a Mexican - have made him a marketing dream. So as the remaining breed of boxing superstars begin to die out, it would seem that Alvarez is in the right place at the right time, especially as a potential fight with Floyd Mayweather could be on the horizon. But first, Saul Alvarez must take care of his opponent at hand, future hall of famer, Shane Mosley.

It's alot easier to talk about Mosley's past, rather than his current state. There was a time when Mosley was considered - along with Roy Jones and Felix Trinidad - to be the very best fighter, pound for pound, in boxing.During his lightweight prime, Mosley was a rare mix of speed, power and aggression. His speedy combinations, heavy hands and ferocious body punching made him arguably the most dominant lightweight since Pernell Whitaker. This however, is not the fighter who will be facing Saul Alvarez. These days, Mosley is not the chilling finisher he used to be, nor is he as fast - time has not been as kind to him as it has to Bernard Hopkins. (Side note: Look at the older fighters who have prospered.George Foreman, Archie Moore, Evander Holyfield, Bernard Hopkins, Roberto Duran and Juan Manuel Marquez......The commonality among them is relaxation. Mosley is the polar opposite. Even in his prime he was all jittery and herky jerky, never the most relaxed of fighters. Watch tomorrow after Alvarez nails him with a jab. You will see what I mean. What did Mosley say after the Mayweather fight? I was all wound up and tight. Merchent asked him why, with all his experience. Truth is, Mosley has always been like this, it's just he's now at an age where it shows up more. Too much nervous energy for an aging fighter.) Shane Mosley has now suffered three consecutive lackluster performances. Ok, so two of them were against the best fighters in the world, but they were eye openers.

Last time out against Manny Pacquiao {almost a year to the day on Saturday night} Mosley fought to survive in a fight that, quite frankly, he could have won. After the Mayweather fight,many thought Shane was done.I thought that Mosley had just simply lost to a slicker, better technician - something Mosley has always struggled with. Yes, his speed and reflexes had eroded a bit, but nobody could dispute his punching power remained - his right hand reduced Mayweather's legs to doing the funky chicken in round two. Not long after, against Sergio Mora, Mosley looked even worse against a far less formidable opponent. After the fight, while I thought Mosley had slipped even more, I still did not think that he was finished as a fighter, even though what I witnessed suggested otherwise. Yet again, I put Mosley's poor showing down to another bad style match up - Mora is an underrated defensive fighter,who fits perfectly into the same unaccommodating style bracket as Vernon Forrest, Winky Wright and Floyd Mayweather.

Admittedly, upon hearing the news that Mosley had signed to fight Manny Pacquiao, I thought Shane Mosley had been given a tremendous opportunity to redeem himself against a fighter who would accommodate a faded Shane Mosley's style.

Mosley, despite the 'Sugar ' moniker,has never been anything like what the pseudonym suggests. Mosley has never really been a boxer. He has never really possessed a good jab, he has never really utilized much head movement and he has never really boxed well on his toes or moving. I've always felt that Mosley performed well as a slugger - toe to toe, there was not much better than Sugar Shane. I believed that Pacquiao's southpaw aggression and defensive lapses would play straight into Mosley's power slugging style, and in particular, his left hook - I consider the left hook to be just as effective against a southpaw as a straight right hand. As Mosley was the owner of one of the best left hooks in boxing, I thought that if there were to be any signs of a gun slinging contest between the two, with his great chin and durability, Mosley may have been the last man standing and pulled off the upset. How wrong I was.

Rather than fight to his strengths - hard power punching against a fighter who was right in front of him - Mosley and Nazim Richardson decided to counterpunch. From the moment Mosley's tactics became apparent, I knew I had got it wrong. Not only about the nature of the fight, but also about Mosley's future as a relevant fighter. The fact that Shane Mosley opted to fight a defensive fight against a fighter who obliged his A game told me everything I needed to know about Mosley's current status - Richardson and Mosley knew that Shane is no longer capable of fighting in his most productive manner. Afterwards, many pointed to Marquez' counterpunching blueprint as the tactics that Mosley employed.I agree, Mosley did negate a lot of Pacquiao's attacks, but he did so by disengaging. The fact that Mosley didn't throw one left hook, his signature punch and best chance of winning the fight proved that Mosley can no longer pull the trigger. This is why I give Mosley no chance against Saul Alvarez.

If this was the Shane Mosley who nearly decapitated Antonio Margarito, I would have given him a great chance against a fighter who will not be moving laterally a great deal, and who does not move his head an awful lot.Mosley's direct aggression and power could have proven to be too much for the untested young Mexican. However, the 2012 version of Mosley, could in fact prove to be the perfect 'look good' opponent for Alvarez, so much so, that I believe that Mosley will be lucky to see the final bell.

Shane Mosley will be facing the hardest hitter he has ever faced on Saturday night, at a time when his reflexes appear to be at an all time low. Alvarez's left hook, thrown to head and body, are very nasty to say the least. At lightweight, Shane Mosley often enjoyed a physical advantage over his opponents, particularly his reach. At junior middleweight, Mosley is on the small side, whereas Alvarez is huge for the division - his strength could be his greatest asset. Alvarez's hands are also alot quicker than he is given credit for.

Throughout his career, Mosley has always struggled against fighters with a good jab. While it is not a cobra-like jab like that of Larry Holmes, Alvarez is the owner of a ram rod - a Sonny Liston of a jab -that is not only used to control the distance and tempo of his fights, but to inflict damage upon his opponents also.Although Alvarez is more of an accumulative puncher, he is starting to show inclinations of a knockout artist. There is no doubt that Alvarez is one of the hardest punchers in boxing - his devastating knockout of the normally durable Carlos Baldomir speaks volumes about his punching prowess.More worryingly for Mosley may be Alvarez's gradual defensive improvements. Alvarez now employs decent head movement along with underrated defense, which makes him a far more elusive target than looks suggest.

If I was forced to make a case for Mosley, I would point to the opposition of both fighters. Mosley has fought a who's who of modern greats throughout his career, while thus far, Alvarez has been facing a who's that?quality of opponent. Also, any fight fan will tell you that the last thing to go in an aging fighter is his power, should he possess any. So if Alvarez becomes careless in there, Mosley might be able to land something worthwhile and make an interesting night of it. That is what I would like, not what I expect.

What I expect is that Saul Alvarez is going to surprise a few people and outbox Shane Mosley behind his jab. I have a feeling Alvarez will show a lot of early respect for Mosley, who's experience in big fight situations cannot be ignored. However, Alvarez will soon realize that Mosley has nothing left in the tank but heart and reputation and I think by the middle sessions, Mosley will be in the same state of mind that he was in against Pacquiao - his physical erosion and diminished punch resiliency lead him to believe that Pacquiao was the hardest hitter he had ever faced - and will be in full on survival mode. The problem here though, is that Alvarez, while he may look like a plodder, is extremely adept at cutting the ring off. I'm not sure that Mosley will be able to avoid heavy fire the way he managed against the more forgiving Manny Pacquiao, as Alvarez looks to take out an opponent once he has them hurt. I don't think Mosley will be seeing stars on Saturday, but I do think Alvarez' size and intent will encourage Nazim Richardson to do something he threatened to do against Mayweather, and that is throw in the towel.

That's the way it is now; taking advantage of a great name when the body that owns that name is no longer capable of doing great things. This has become almost a ritual in boxing.

Prediction: Saul Alvarez by technical knockout by around the 8th round.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: Saul Alvarez- Shane Mosley Breakdown

New beginning for Shane? Puh-Leeze, the only thing e's beginning is more brain damage..

GorDoom

http://www.boxingscene.com/sugar-sha...ginning--52495

Administrator
    vCash

Ha. I'm actually looking forward more to this fight than the main event.

Canelo can punch but he is there to be hit and isn't all that busy.
    Shane has long been gone but just like he had the tools to destroy Margarito, I think he gives Canelo a harder time than most expect.

vCash

I think this could make for uncomfortable viewing.

vCash

I tend to agree with Gordoom on this one. Shane is so old, age 40, and hasn't aged well, so I wonder how much he can do in there with a really strong and fast frisky young lion, particularly since he hasn't fought in a year and looked to be badly slowing and reducing his punch output in recent years. My guess is that Canelo will win a by a wide unanimous decision, unless they throw in the towel on Mosley late to prevent him from taking such a pounding. Mosley may do okay for about two rounds, but after that he's going to get owned. Luckily for him Canelo keeps a slow pace for the most part, only turning up the heat in spots, but problem is that Canelo is a big junior middle in the prime of his life and seems to be strong enough, fast enough, skilled enough, and have enough experience at this point that the 40 year old won't be able to do much more than survive and land an occasional shot.

vCash

For the sake of all concerned--including SSM, I can only hope for a thoroughly-convincing Canelo victory.

vCash

I think Saul has some decent defense on him. He can be hit and his output is low BUT from what I've seen i'm almost certain he takes liberties with guys in there and fights up to the level he needs to. He seems to coast. Which is a mark against his name as far as i'm concerned and is indicative of the quality of his opposition. However when pushed i think he'll show a little more. I just don't think this fight is going to be the fight to push him. Shane hasn't been able to pull the trigger for 2 years now. Can't see why that would change.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

I've felt strongly that Shane should have retired after the first Vernon Forest fight & that was 10 years ago. He took such an unnecessarily extended beating in that fight that ever since he's slurred badly for weeks after each one thereafter. Sure, he still had skills left but from that fight on he has suffered more & more brain damage.

Keep in mind this is a fighter who has literally been taking blows to the head on a regular basis since he was 8 years old...

When is enough, enough?

GorDoom

vCash

Bucket, Shane suffers from the same troubles that many top fighters suffer - 1. There is nothing else in the world that they enjoy doing as much, and nothing else they are so good at doing, such that it is who they are at a core level, 2. All great fighters think they have one more great win in them, 3. There is nothing else that can make them so much darn money, too much to turn down for something they enjoy anyhow, and 4. they don't know what to do with themselves if they are no longer fighting - life will lose a bit of its luster thereafter.

vCash

I can't believe it has been ten years since Mosley fought Forrest. I really thought that Mosley was going to be a special fighter, one that was going to compete for that "P4P crown" for a few years. He was clearly never the same after Forrest.

vCash

Mosley was a fantastic lightweight, and his welterweight fights with Wilfredo Rivera and Oscar de la Hoya were excellent. He brutalized Diaz, Taylor, and Stone, who were no slouches, either. Even when a bit past it, he still had some very nice wins against then undefeated Jose Luis Cruz, Fernando Vargas (twice), Luis Collazo, Ricardo Mayorga, and Antonio Margarito.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack View Post
    Mosley was a fantastic lightweight, and his welterweight fights with Wilfredo Rivera and Oscar de la Hoya were excellent. He brutalized Diaz, Taylor, and Stone, who were no slouches, either. Even when a bit past it, he still had some very nice wins against then undefeated Jose Luis Cruz, Fernando Vargas (twice), Luis Collazo, Ricardo Mayorga, and Antonio Margarito.
    I think his W over Collazo was his last really impressive performance . . he looked like crap vs Mayorga. In retrospect Margarito was both a perfect style matchup for him and also aided by Antonio not coming in confident b/c he didn't have his concrete fists to help him.

BTW, what the hell happened to Collazo? I thought he deserved the W vs Berto and was a very solid lower-tier contender.

Administrator
    vCash

I have not been all that impressed with Canelo.
    I feel I mistook his patience for maturity and think it is just partly hesitance and the slower pace (for a young guy) which is his comfort zone.
    I like him, but I don't think he is half as good as his hype.
    If he takes his time with Shane, he could have some serious problems.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity View Post
    I have not been all that impressed with Canelo.
    I feel I mistook his patience for maturity and think it is just partly hesitance and the slower pace (for a young guy) which is his comfort zone.
    I like him, but I don't think he is half as good as his hype.
    If he takes his time with Shane, he could have some serious problems.
    I thought Canelo would let his hands go against someone who was actively trying to outhustle him. He did... in spurts. I was dissapointed by Canelo's lack of intensity and output and thoroughly impressed by how resilient and tough Shane showed he was in there. He left everything in there. I hope that's it for him because he simply doesn't have it anymore.

Maybe Canelo has conditioning issues or maybe he has become accustomed to controlling the ebb and flow of a fight with far too much ease against subpar competition. Regardless if he fought that way against a Mosley from say the Margarito fight... He'd be in a world of shit.

Administrator
    vCash

I've just accepted the fact that this is just the way Canelo fights.
    After seeing this fight, I don't think it has anything to do with hesitance or lack of confidence.
    He simply takes his time and there is something to be said about that and he broke Shane down with pure balls and toughness.

Canelo is never going to make the splash of a Pacquiao but he deserves the credit I've been so indecisive over giving him in the past.
    Don't get me wrong, you can bet on the fact Canelo will be out-hustled by a faster and not necessarily better fighter in the next few years.
    What I can tell you is the fighter that does it will be thrilled when the fight is over.
    His offense is tough to deal with in both power and predictability.
    Just when you think the worst is over, he reloads with a powerful combo of body shots.
    Despite the fact we all wish he would be a bit more active, you have to applaud the consistency of his overall performance.

Shane on the other hand is D-O-N-E, done.
    I have never seen him so sloppy and hittable.
    I thought this was a winnable fight if he had anything left but this fight became hard to watch after the 4th or 5th.
    I'm certain that Shane of years ago takes this kid to school but he had ZERO power and very little defense.
    It was sad to watch him shoot those pitty-pat shots and take cannons in return fire.
    Any fighter with less of a chin or toughness would have been KO'd.
    Shane has always been too tough for his own good and I hope to god he finally hangs it up.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity View Post
    Shane on the other hand is D-O-N-E, done.
    I have never seen him so sloppy and hit-able.
    I thought this was a winnable fight if he had anything left but this fight became hard to watch after the 4th or 5th.
    I'm certain that Shane of years ago takes this kid to school but he had ZERO power and very little defense.
    It was sad to watch him shoot those pitty-pat shots and take cannons in return fire.
    Any fighter with less of a chin or toughness would have been KO'd.
    Shane has always been too tough for his own good and I hope to god he finally hangs it up.
    Shane has been done for years. I don't know if it is a money issue but I don't understand how someone can have money issues when he fights on average once a year against marque names making the kind of money that they do on this level.

very sad.

+ Reply to Thread