Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good Fight Most Seemed to Have Missed

Banned
    vCash

Good Fight Most Seemed to Have Missed

For those who think all heavyweights are fat sloths, try to catch Sultan Ibragimov TKO 7 Lance "Mt." Whitaker, from 12/15/05. I saw this for the first time last night and was pleasantly surprised at the effort both guys put forward. Ibragimov reminded me a little of Dempsey as he attacked a man who was six inches taller and fifty pounds heavier from the first bell, dropping Whitaker in both the first and second rounds and pretty much kicking the manure out of him. Lance gritted his teeth thereafter and made an actual effort for several rounds. In the fifth, he landed a decent right that made Sultan take a stutterstep, but the European wasn't really staggered (contrary to 'Net reports) and had no difficulty in moving out of range to collect himself. Ibragimov seemed to be winding down, only to score a highlight reel stumble-across-the-ring knockdown in the sixth and then tattoo Whitaker for most of the seventh. A punch cut Lance severely over the right eye (the ref ruled it from a blow), and the microphone clearly picked up Whitaker telling the doctor, "I'm okay, but I don't want to fight anymore." This was a bit of a letdown, naturally, but for the majority of the scrap Whitaker turned in an honest effort and Ibragimov looked very quick and dangerous for a "little" guy in the 6'2", 220lb. area. The bout is playing regularly in syndication (along with John Duddy TKO Wilmer Mejia and that guy who almost beat Bowe last time Riddick boxed TKO Stacy Frazier), so try to catch it if you have the opportunity. Might renew your faith in the big 'uns a touch. PeteLeo.

Boxingnut

Re: Good Fight Most Seemed to Have Missed

Pete

Haven't seen the fight but I have seen photos. Does Sultan look overweight to you?

Rob

Banned
    vCash

He didn't look fat to me, but he isn't "cut," either. No six-pack. His body just goes stright down from his shoulders, and there are no whopping 'roid bulges like you might find with Tyson or Holyfield. I can see Ibragimov dropping another fifteen pounds without depriving himself of strength, but he fought at a fast clip throughout the bout and certainly seemed to have plenty left in the seventh, so if he's comfortable where he is, I doubt that he needs to reduce much more. If he were in a really important match with a top five guy, 215 would probably be a good target weight for him. He just doesn't have the "body beautiful" build, and Whitaker's extra fifty/sixty pounds didn't have much effect on him, as he easily slipped away from most of Lance's plodding charges.
    If you have access to any of Fox Sports' channels, keep an eye out. I'm sure they'll replay it over the next couple of months. PeteLeo.

Under the cover's of your mother's bed...
    vCash

I saw the fight last night to, and was pleasently suprised by Sultan. I don't think he was overweight, but shedding a few pounds wouldnr hurt. He has a strange double looking chin, looks like water retention, that makes him look fat in street clothes, but he looked fine to me, and he was very active w/ his punches for a big man. I thought Lance was a huge disappointment, he was basically getting his ass kicked the whole fight, and the cut wasn't so bad he couldnt go on, he clearly didnt want to continue getting his ass handed to him by a dude 50 lbs lighter and 6 inches shorter.
    I did like this Sultan guy though, he was fun to watch, had really nice hooks, and he looks like he could have a future, id like to see more.
    The EE (east europe) invasion continues....

vCash

Ibragimov looked impressive but come on Whitaker looked like crap. A pawing left jab (I wouldn't even call it a jab just more of an extended left) all night to set up a slow right hand. He made Williard look like Tinkerbell. That being said Sultan did not show fear vs a much bigger man and Lance if anything does have punching power. It was also entertaining to see Lance take several flush shots and just smile and talk smack to Sultan. Silly thing was he talked more than he punched all night and he ended up getting really beat up.
    Last edited by hagler04; 04-13-2006 at 01:23 AM.

Boxingnut

I have been trying (without success) to find a collector with tapes or DVD's of Sultan and his cousin Timor.

Under the cover's of your mother's bed...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04
    Ibragimov looked impressive but come on Whitaker looked like crap. A pawing left jab (I wouldn't even call it a jab just more of an extended left) all night to set up a slow right hand. He made Williard look like Tinkerbell. That being said Sultan did show fear vs a much bigger man and Lance if anything does have punching power. It was also entertaining to see Lance take several flush shots and just smile and talk smack to Sultan. Silly thing was he talked more than he punched all night and he ended up getting really beat up.
    Lance also took some flush shots and paid a visit to the canvass a few times.

Administrator
    vCash

I could have sworn I posted about this fight before. Sure, Whitaker didn't seem too convinced until it was too late that he was in with someone who was serious but he got pounded out all the same. It's still early but I pick Sultan to surprise some people in the next year or so. At least he's entertaining to watch. You can name all the heavyweights on one finger that throw combinations these days.

vCash

It was a very good fight and I think Sultan has a very bright future in this division. With the heavyweights being what they are, I wish I was a 6'2" 220 pound natural heavyweight.

+ Reply to Thread