Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tommy Burns v Roy Jones Jr 168 lbs

vCash

Tommy Burns v Roy Jones Jr 168 lbs

Here's a fun fight at Super MW.

According to the tape, Burns' reach is equal to Roy's.

Being lazy w/out too detailed a break down, Roy razzle dazzles early to mid but Burns ever pressing, keeps Jones on the back foot and increasingly on the defensive. Burns tough enough to endure Roy's sizzle w/out stepping back. Eventually, perhaps the 3/4 point, Tiny Tommy catches up (likely with the booming right hand) for a (you guessed it) chilling KO victory.

No disrespect to Jones Jr but Burns himself was a P4P wonder.

I thought of Burns v Langford but I would say everyone would pick Sam (as I would). Still, a fun and interesting fight itself while it lasted and possibly worth the examination of the fights complexion before Langford's likely victory.

vCash

Re: Tommy Burns v Roy Jones Jr 168 lbs

A long night for Jones. The agreed weight would be important. Burns was drained making MW, a big factor in his being underestimated by Hart, who saw Tommy as a fill-in defense. 168 should due.

(Burns could be thought of as the white Langford, though a step below the master.)

vCash

If little Tommy take the bombs of Johnson for 15 round. He can damn sure take anything Jones has to offer. So it's a matter of Jones chin holding up. I think by the 10th round on Jones will be holding on for dear life. Burns wins by 12th round TKO.

vCash

Okay, two responses satisfy the quorum!

Tommy wins!

Just one other thing re Burns. No confusion, the racist slurs were horrendous but it's amazing that Burns had the balls to hurl them at Lil Arthur mid-fight. Crazy. Different to Corbett who hid behind his capacity as cornerman for Jim Jeffries. For every insult "Gentleman" Jim chose to spit out at Lil Arthur, poor old Jeff got belted for it. Jeffries should've belted Corbett himself (ala Ali whacking Bundini Brown).

vCash

tommy burns was a great fighter who could box and move and punched hard enough to knock out much bigger men,i see burns outboxing and out punching roy jones and winning on points

+ Reply to Thread