Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock & Roll: Danny "Little Red" Lopez by Mike Casey - Article/Video

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Rock & Roll: Danny "Little Red" Lopez by Mike Casey - Article/Video

vCash

Re: Rock & Roll: Danny "Little Red" Lopez by Mike Casey - Article/Video

well.... that was a trip down memory lane. mike casey is a great boxing writer and it is hard to believe he is from the U.K after such a detailed picture of the career of my all time favorite fighter. i saw danny fight amateur and attended those first three first round ko's as a pro. at the sports arena that night it was obvious bobby chacons right hand was too quick for danny to survive.

certain guys like bobby and sal sanchez were always going to be tough for danny but danny was that rare ko puncher that brought his power through his championship career. most young KO artists stop scoring early and even mid round KO's over the stiffer competition but danny could knock out anybody he could hit. if you did not have sanchez's granite chin or bobby chacon quick right hand you were committing suicide trading with danny. i saw danny trade with much bigger men in the gym and he did not always look to be of championship caliber then boom somebody would yell "TIEMPO" and a jr. welterweight would suddenly be on the floor and come back to the corner muttering through the earhole of his head protecter. jaws used to drop when danny hit the heavy bag and howie steindler would yell at him " not so hard !" .

i saw howie actually run danny off his training right in front of his opponent tury pineda and his opponents manager harry kabakoff because it was feared that lopez was going to come in too light. not to worry pineda seemed to drop dead from lopez punches in the 4th no matter the weight.

the one lopez fight i have never seen in completion is kotey I. i am puzzled by mike casey's detailed description of that fight and am left to wonder if a film of that fight does indeed exist. i would love to talk to mike someday.

greg

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: Rock & Roll: Danny "Little Red" Lopez by Mike Casey - Article/Video

You Can't Keep A Good Man Down - Si, Feb/12/1979

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...4606/index.htm

+ Reply to Thread