Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canelo vs. Ortiz

vCash

Canelo vs. Ortiz

From Fightnews:
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/cane...e-ortiz-118122

Call me crazy, but I think this one has the makings of an exciting scrap. Ortiz has some pop, and although Canelo is on the rise, he won't be hard to find for Victor.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Canelo vs. Ortiz

Wow.
    I would love to see this fight come off.
    Very surprised to see this on the table at this point for either fighter.

vCash

Canelo vs Paul Williams

Canelo vs Kirkland

Canelo vs Ortiz

Ballsy matchmaking for this stage of his career.

As noted above we seldom see young still-maturing major draws pitted against one another.

Bravo!

vCash

I am with both of you. I would actually like to see this fight. Boxing desperately needs it.

vCash

Ortiz is too small for the Red Top...

vCash

Ortiz's chances lie in Alvarez's conservative workrate. Ortiz has decent speed and okay technical skills albeit nothing great. Where i see him really struggling here is maintaining focus. This is the same guy that surrendered the momentum early going against Mayweather and took the backfoot. Forgot which round it was but he took the backfoot and fought mayweather at the center of the ring early going. A position where he absolutely shouldn't of been because had had no means of being competitive and establishing any kind of efficacy there. The only way he was going to have any chance was by pressing the action and trying to pressure. He did this in spurts but it demonstrated a real lack of focus and capacity to stay the course in a high pressure situation. Add to that his completely bizzare conduct leading up to the knockout and subsequent to it. Canelo will hit him, hit him often, and hit him real hard and i'm not convinced he'll keep it together down the track. I have every reason to doubt Ortiz going into what should be a hard and testing fight. Canelo by late round TKO.

Administrator
    vCash

Mentally I see Canelo having a slight advantage and may be better prepared to dig in and fight 12 tough rounds despite his lack of experience.
    It all depends how he fares with facing someone who is not scared of him and has the power to hurt him and keep him hurt as Ortiz does.

I dont think we saw enough of the PBF fight to condemn Ortiz too much - although it certainly wasn't going in a positive direction.
    Even though Ortiz showed some guts against Berto, he's wilted before under pressure so the capacity to do so again is always floating around in there somewhere.

Ortiz definitely needs to step on the gas and get Canelo out of the pace which is his comfort zone.
    I'm sure he knows this but with that strategy you also have to be ready for the accurate incoming of Canelo - which I don't think he is, and is the reason why I say Canelo by late TKO also.

vCash

Both are very powerful. Ortiz is the more active with his hands, while Canelo is faster and more precise, but is also more cautious and conservative. Fight comes down to defense and chin, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Canelo has the better defense and chin. I see Canelo stopping him at some point in the fight. Could be entertaining though, up until then.

vCash

Dangerous fight for Canelo, Ortiz has very fast hands, is very strong and can really crack, of course it all will come down to whether Canelo can take and if he can then he will easily take care of Ortiz, big if there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack View Post
    Both are very powerful. Ortiz is the more active with his hands, while Canelo is faster and more precise, but is also more cautious and conservative. Fight comes down to defense and chin, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Canelo has the better defense and chin. I see Canelo stopping him at some point in the fight. Could be entertaining though, up until then.
    Like I said.

vCash

Wow is Ortiz a pussy. And I mean that. In spite of his muscular build and decent offensive output, he is a total pussy. He deserves no sympathy because Lopez is a clubfighter at best.

vCash

I think you are being unfair to him. I don't think you can take the type of clean hard lands for as many rounds as he did and as often as he did, and fight back as hard as he did, absorbing as much punishment as he did, including a broken or at least badly damaged jaw, and deserve to be called what you called him. He might not be the toughest guy ever, but he's not the softest either.

vCash

Adam, I respect your opinion, and always enjoy reading your posts. But, what has boxing come to? Ortiz quits in a fight he is winning. Baby Floyd is whining about his conditions in the joint after less than two weeks?. Honestly, cast your mind back to the mid-eighties or before (any decade before) and see if you can find examples of such mental weakness in the sport of boxing. What used to make boxing so great is the extreme sacrifice and toughness it required. Ortiz did not take much of a beating in this fight. And he was winning. But he chose to quit.... Again. Can you imagine what a real fighter like Rocky Marciano would say if he watched this?

vCash

Sure, he's no Marciano or Gatti, but he still engages in entertaining wars, administers and takes bombs, and I think had a legitimate reason to retire. Not vaunted toughness, but not wimpy either. Bottom line is the guy needs to learn better defense. If you take blows that cleanly and often, you aren't going to last long.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Jackson View Post
    Adam, I respect your opinion, and always enjoy reading your posts. But, what has boxing come to? Ortiz quits in a fight he is winning. Baby Floyd is whining about his conditions in the joint after less than two weeks?. Honestly, cast your mind back to the mid-eighties or before (any decade before) and see if you can find examples of such mental weakness in the sport of boxing. What used to make boxing so great is the extreme sacrifice and toughness it required. Ortiz did not take much of a beating in this fight. And he was winning. But he chose to quit.... Again. Can you imagine what a real fighter like Rocky Marciano would say if he watched this?
    With all due respect, from a much tougher fighter than Ortiz: "no mas!"

vCash

This alone isn't too bad but this is strike 3. I had my concerns about him mentally prior as stated in this thread and this kind of shit simply confirms it. I don't think he's a 'pussy' by any stretch of the imagination at all. I don't think he's championship material and i think he'll always fail at the very highest level. Mentally he isn't quite 'there'

Administrator
    vCash

I'm on Adam's side here.
    Marciano is long dead, guys.
    A fight like this is going to be at the top of the better stuff the sport has to offer these days.
    You don't have to like it, but the facts are what they are with the talent at hand.
    It's not like anyone is comparing Ortiz or even Gatti to Marciano here.
    The sooner we all stop comparing these guys to the legends of decades ago, we will stop wasting a lot of wind.

Many guys would have quit a fight with a broken jaw like that in a second.
    I don't think anyone here at any point thought Ortiz was ever going to be a "great" but for the most part he is doing his part as an entertaining fighter like maybe a Vargas to a better degree in his heydey - and the sport needs those to survive.

vCash

Canelo should fight someone like Carlos Molina or Vanes Matirosyan and stop picking on shot fighters or guys who are too small and are coming up in weight.

Administrator
    vCash

Looks like Ortiz had 2 breaks in the jaw during the fight according to the most recent news...

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-lopez-rematch

+ Reply to Thread