Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lopez makes Ortiz quit after 9

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Lopez makes Ortiz quit after 9

Lopez makes Ortiz quit after nine
    By Francisco Salazar and Rocco Morales at ringside/Fight News

In the biggest fight of his career, welterweight Josesito Lopez (30-4, 18 KOs) made former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 KOs) quit after nine rounds on Saturday night at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. It was a hard fought clash with good two-way action. Josesito seemed to be getting the edge as the bout progressed. Ortiz quit in his corner after round nine citing a possible broken jaw. With the win, Josesito torpedos Ortiz’ September 15 PPV showdown with WBC 154lb champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in Las Vegas.

Jr welterweight contender Lucas Matthysse (31-2, 29 KOs) scored a fifth round TKO over multi-division former world champion Humberto Soto (58-8-2, 34 KOs). Matthysse, who has dropped controversial decisions in previous US fights, took it out of the judges’ hands when he dropped Soto hard at the end of round five and Soto was unable to continue.

Junior middleweight Jermell Charlo scored a one-punch knockout over Denis Douglin in the fifth round of a scheduled 10 round bout. After Charlo (18-0, 9 KOs) controlled the first two rounds, Douglin came back strong in the third round. Charlo was the more-effective fighter in the fourth round. In the fifth round, Charlo landed a counter right hand to the head, dropping Douglin onto his back. Douglin (14-2, 8 KOs) struggled to get to his feet and when he did, staggered towards the ropes. Referee Wayne Hedgpeth promptly wave the fight over at 1:12.

Jr welterweight Omar Figueroa (18-0-1, 15 KOs) overwhelmed Alain Hernandez (18-11-2, 10 KOs) and landed punishing combinations at will, driving Hernandez into the ropes and prompting a somewhat quick stoppage by referee, Jose Cobian. Time of the stoppage was 1:34 of the first round and it was an accumulation of punches rather than one single shot that hurt Hernandez. Hernandez, at least 4 inches shorter than Figueroa, seems better suited for the bantamweight division than the lightweight division.

Junior featherweight Randy Caballero stopped Jamal Parram in the fifth round of a scheduled eight round bout. Caballero (15-0, 8 KOs) was the quicker and more aggressive fighter, landing straight right hands to the head and body. The southpaw Parram (5-6-1, 4 KOs) would either try to counter Caballero with one punch or hold as Caballero came forward. Caballero hurt Parram by attacking the body in the fourth round, eventually dropping him three times in the fifth round with left hooks to the body. After the third knockdown in the round, referee Jose Cobian stopped the bout at 1:50.

Junior middleweight Michael Finney won a harder-than-expected four round unanimous decision over Joel Vargas. Finney (9-0, 7 KOs) was the stronger and effective puncher, but Vargas (3-7-1, 3 KOs) held his ground, landing his share of punches. Finney would have benefited using a jab, but traded shots with Vargas, landing the more effective punches. All three judges scored the bout 40-36 in favor of Vargas. Finney is trained by Robert Garcia.

vCash

Re: Lopez makes Ortiz quit after 9

Great nite of fights. The best I have seen in a while.

Wing master

vCash

The main event was a good fight. The films clearly show definitively an INTENTIONAL rabbit punch which usually would mandate a 5 minute rest and point or points deduction. If at the end of those 5 minutes the injured boxer could not continue it would have resulted in a DQ. Yes Lopez was bending low, but the rabbit punch was a definite decision to throw an illegal punch.

I always feel it is better to let them fight than to inject yourself into the frey too much being overly officious as to breaking them at the wrong times, talking too much etc. However, THAT was an illegal, INTENTIONAL rabbit punch. Lucky for all he continued.

I also could see the amount of blood coming from Ortiz's mouth and his jaw did look broken.

vCash

Wladamir K. may have the softest chin in heavyweight history, but Victor Ortiz may be the softest contender in BOXING history. Between his quit job tonight (as he had in the past) and his hug fest with Floyd, I can't think of a fighter with less stones. I hope they let him fight Canelo Alvarez in spite of the loss so we can witness his punk ass getting KTFO.

vCash

That was a wonderful Showtime card. Two excellent true fights.

Soto and Matthyse really went at it. Both came to fight and fight hard. Soto was faster and showed some good skill and generalship, but Lucas Matthyse is an absolutely monster of strength. You simply cannot outfight the guy, and even if you try to outbox him, he's going to track you down and club you to death. Fun fighter. Can't wait to see him again. Soto is still a darn good fighter and has entertaining fights left in him, but he can't war with a big strong 140 pounder, and either belongs at 135, or needs to fight a 140 guy who is not so darn powerful.

It didn't seem possible, but the main event topped it. Josesito Lopez put on the surprise performance of the year and pulled off the upset of the year. I was really impressed. He showed speed, combinations, ability to lead or counter, enough power to stun Ortiz on several occasions, gameness, not being afraid to mix it up, versatility, being able to attack or box as he chose, and serious heart, for he took some mighty powerful blows that left his face puffy and marked up, and he was slightly stunned here and there, but he also showed intelligence by clinching and wrestling to take away Victor's momentum. Fight reminded me of the Maidana bout in that both guys administered and absorbed a lot of punishment. Lopez was loose and relaxed, busy, in great shape, and obviously highly motivated. Ortiz showed toughness too, for he was taking bombs and bombing back, trying to make adjustments, which actually had him ahead on the scorecards at the time of the stoppage.

Ortiz retired in his corner after the 9th round, claiming a broken jaw. I believe him. His mouth was hanging open and he was having troubles closing it, and even when he spoke in the interview he sounded like he was having a speech impediment with that jaw. After he went to the dressing room you could just see the blood oozing from his mouth, and he still could not close his jaw.

I know a lot of folks will criticize his heart, and even I was tempted to do so, but upon further reflection, I think he deserves better from the fans and media, for he treated us to a wonderful war. If you play safety first and stink it out, you won't get your jaw broken and no one will criticize your heart. I think he showed heart by fighting a competitive battle and taking a lot of hard blows and going at it as hard as he could until his jaw just couldn't handle it any longer. True, there are those who showed more heart by continuing with broken jaws, but that does not mean Ortiz has no heart for not doing so. He took a lot of punishment. Ironically, he probably won the 9th round. But he was in there with a live, frisky guy who had enough pop to hurt him, and if he could not close his jaw, he was going to get badly injured from that point on.

vCash

nobody should fight with a broken jaw but ortiz should never have let this fight get to that point. while i don't question his heart for quitting i do question his mental strength. he let a smaller man out gut him.

greg

vCash

In the interview in the ring after the fight Ortiz seemed to claim that the jaw got broken in rd 1. That maybe was to impress upon us how he went so far with a broken jaw before quitting.

vCash

I can't help but think of Marvis Frazier coming off the floor with a broken jaw and fighting to a unanimous points decision over a big hitting Bonecrusher Smith, who was also enjoying 30lb+ weight advantage. Ali went 12 with Norton who packed some serious stopping power. Danny Williams KOd Mark Potter with one arm hanging out of it's socket. I know these are superhuman examples, but it seems guys who 'like' fighting have been able to endure this sort of injury. I've never believed in Ortiz, particularly after his quitting vs Maidana and his shambolic 4th round performance against Mayweather. This guy's heart just is not in it and I hope we don't have to see him again in a big fight.

vCash

I don't think any of those guys took the type of beating that Ortiz had taken up to that point. Also, I have serious doubts about when Ali broke his jaw in that fight. Ortiz's jaw was bloody and hanging open. Ali's jaw seemed fine for most of that fight.

Again, just because a guy doesn't show super duper toughness doesn't mean he has no stones at all. You can write off Maidana in that he took a pounding by a now well known puncher and non stop ass beater in a brutal war that was a FOTY candidate. Against, Mayweather, he got caught by something he did not see coming.

When Joe Choynski retired in the corner against Joe Goddard after 4 rounds, no one questioned his heart; rather they thanked him for putting on a highly entertaining brutal war.

Ortiz deserves our gratitude rather than condemnation. He gave us more entertainment in 9 rounds than any five average fights you might see. That is what we should talk about. Great fight! Thank you Oritz, Lopez, and Showtime! Fight of the year candidate and definitely upset of the year in my book.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb View Post
    In the interview in the ring after the fight Ortiz seemed to claim that the jaw got broken in rd 1. That maybe was to impress upon us how he went so far with a broken jaw before quitting.
    i believe when Jim Grey questioned him if it was round one, Ortiz said no, that it happened in the earlier part of round nine when he had his mouth open. They showed the punch on replay.

vCash

Trust me on this one.

Ortiz was no coward to call it quits with such an injury. He is a strong brave fighter although I did not like his decision to quit in the Maidana bout, or in the Mayweather fight when he kept trying to kiss and apologize along with turning his head during the fight. I also felt he should have gotten up and fought as those two shots were not show stoppers.

In the fight last night he gave it all he had and the pain and potential damage from a broken jaw can only be understood by those who received them and or inflicted them.

Boxing history is full of guys with iron wills who continue with hellish injuries. One of the worst ever was when Arthur Abraham was allowed to continue against Miranda with his jaw broken and hanging out of the hinge. He is lucky he still has a face.

Ortiz, not the bravest of the brave, but no coward he.

vCash

Understood gentlemen. I had only read a small article on the fight, haven't seen it nor plan to. Can't warm to Ortiz anymore but sounds like he delivered a good fight last night. I have a feeling he is going to become high profile cannon fodder from now on though.

vCash

i believe he corrected himself and said it was at the first of the last round. he was not going 9 rounds with that injury.

the guy always seems to be on an emotional precipice. in the pre fight interviews he was an "unstoppable force" but he does not fight that way. he fights in a sort of panic rather than the approach lopez took which was.... i am not going anywhere unless you get rid of me. ortiz always seems on the verge of beating himself. at this level one opponent is enough. he does not need to battle inner demons along with it but maybe that is part of his attraction because other than power he is really not that good of a fighter.

greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer View Post
    i believe he corrected himself and said it was at the first of the last round. he was not going 9 rounds with that injury.
    Yes,he dd, but only after he was pulled on it.

vCash

The Promotional Fallout:

Eventually, Golden Boy Promotions will find someone to face Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 15th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. We know this much; it won’t be Victor Ortiz after his latest Staples Center implosion at the determined hands of Josesito Lopez (who obviously didn’t read the script coming into this past weekend). So it’s gone from Paul Williams to James Kirkland to Ortiz to who-the-hell-knows. But this much is clear; Golden Boy and Showtime are not moving off that date; Top Rank and HBO be damned.

Stephen Espinoza, head of Showtime Sports, said on Saturday night in the aftermath of Lopez’s stunning upset, “We’ll definitely go on with an event, possibility that it could be pay-per-view; most likely it will be either Showtime or possibly free TV.”

And by “free TV,” does that mean CBS, which is under the same corporate umbrella as Showtime?

"Yes, that’s one of the possibilities,” he confirmed to Maxboxing.
    The question is, who will get this golden ticket? At the post-fight press conference, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer addressed the media, “I’m going to tell you what I know for sure and then I’m going to tell you what I’m going to be working on. What I know for sure is that ‘Canelo’ Alvarez is the superstar in Mexico. What I know for sure is that ‘Canelo’ Alvarez will be fighting September 15th from the MGM. What we are going to be doing now, next week, is, with the matchmakers and with ‘Canelo’s’ team, we are going to be evaluating different options. Oscar [De la Hoya], [GBP matchmaker] Eric [Gomez], ‘Canelo’ and me, we spoke a bit tonight and we’re looking at three possible names. Obviously, it wouldn’t be prudent for me to name those three names now because I’d like to negotiate with them first before we announce anything and, of course, I want to discuss it with ‘Canelo’s’ team.

“Now what we believe, what Golden Boy believes, we don’t want to do pay-per-views which are not pay-per-view worthy. Because that is taking advantage of the fight fans; that I can promise you we will not do. But having said that, if one of those opponents we’re thinking about can in fact come true, it will be on pay-per-view and it will be a very big pay-per-view. Now if that doesn’t happen, we’re looking at two other options and those fights will be live on Showtime or- hold on to your seats now because it’s true what I’m going to tell you...live on C-B-S,” said Schaefer, who went all Brent Musburger with the assembled media when pulling out his trump card. “‘Canelo’ is the star in Mexico; his fights are on the number one network, Televisa. So how fitting would it be for the biggest star in Mexico, ‘Canelo’ Alvarez to bring back on network TV on September 15th. So we’re going to have some exciting news in the coming days.”

OK, sorting this all out, you’d have to think that the one pay-per-view option Schaefer was referring to was Miguel Cotto, who put up a good fight against Floyd Mayweather in May and is a legitimate attraction. But sources indicate that Cotto, who just earned a career-high payday, isn’t really keen on fighting so soon or acting as the B-side of the equation on another Golden Boy card. The chances of him accepting the fight are slim.

The other options include the likes of Austin Trout, who has a major belt around his waist (the WBA) that Alvarez covets so much, comes at a relatively cheap price and, just as importantly, is advised by the influential Al Haymon. Perhaps James Kirkland will be revisited but he can’t seem to decide if he’s coming or going. Carlos Quintana, while a solid pro who’s coming off a KO victory of Deandre Latimore, is a beige spot on a beige wall. As for Erislandy Lara? C’mon, you know they won’t let the talented Cuban get within 50 feet of Alvarez. Fuggedaboutit.

Regardless, somebody- anybody- willing to make 154 pounds will be tabbed to face Alvarez on the same day that Top Rank will be staging its pay-per-view card featuring Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. facing Sergio Martinez down the street at the Thomas and Mack Center. Yeah, the Golden Boy-Top Rank rivalry is now officially boxing’s version of “Spy vs. Spy,” where you have one sabotage after another. The fighters here are seemingly just mere pawns in this rather twisted chess game now fully involving networks and their corporate entities. But Alvarez is a fighter; he’s just itching to get in there again. “I’ll be ready for September 15th; they’re talking about a few opponents. There’s a few ideas out there,” he said at the post-fight press conference through Eric Gomez, who translated for him. “But I’m going to be ready to fight and we’ll know shortly.”

Getting an opponent for him on this date has been akin to the “Madden Curse” (where NFL players who make the cover of this video game seem jinxed the following year in some way) but Alvarez seems unfazed by the constant shuffling. “No, not at all,” he answered, when asked if this process was frustrating. Schaefer then chimed in, “The good thing is he always wants to fight the biggest names available. I mean, if [Floyd] Mayweather was available, he’d fight Mayweather September 15th.”

To which Alvarez pointed out, “Mayweather’s on vacation,” but made it clear, “I’ll fight anybody.”

And it will be on September 15th, come hell or high water.

ORTIZ

I don’t think I’ve ever heard quite the venom and anger that was directed at Ortiz as he left the ring to go back to his dressing quarters after his loss to Lopez. The very same fans who cheered for him the previous 45 minutes were now an angry mob when he decided not to fight on with a broken jaw and not satisfy the bloodthirst of the largely Mexican partisans. Yeah, his pass was revoked by the masses on this night.

Honestly, it’s easy to say he should’ve kept going. Then again, it’s not our jaws that were fractured either. And yes, while men like Muhammad Ali fought on with similar disadvantages, is it really fair to compare mere mortals to boxing gods? (Admittedly, I was guilty of making this comparison myself on Twitter in the immediate aftermath of the fight on Saturday night on press row.) Being a boxer means having a requisite amount of toughness, the problem many have with Ortiz is that, by boxers’ standards, he’s a little bit too rational. Fans expect fighters to make decisions they themselves would never make. It’s why many worship them when they do. But when they don’t, they will forever get derided.

Perhaps it wasn’t really the condition of his jaw that was Ortiz’s problem but his past (when he waved off his fight with Marcos Maidana- in the very same building- and the farcical circumstances of his aborted bout with Mayweather) that was held against him. His history simply wasn’t going to allow him to get the benefit of the doubt from the masses.

Now I’m hearing from many fans that they never want to see Ortiz ever again. Honestly- and I know I’m in the minority- but I find him to be very entertaining. Yeah, I said it: entertaining. When he fights, something happens. You see the good, the bad and the ugly. He’s boxing version of a train wreck; you simply can’t turn away. Tell me you won’t remember his last three outings against Andre Berto, Mayweather and now Lopez. To me, he’s like that episode of “Three’s Company.” You kinda know the plot and how it’s going to turn out but you’re thoroughly amused by it anyways.

That’s Victor Ortiz.

Steve Kim

vCash

I wouldn't slate Ortiz for the other night but there is something missing with him. His behaviour during the Mayweather fight was bizarre.

vCash

wow, that was some fight, regardless of the outcome or what one might think of Ortiz' heart or character or whether Lopez is anything more than a club fighter or whether Ortiz shoulda coulda woulda gotten him outta there earlier or any other gripes or whines that have or might or will be thrown around concerning this fight,

in a sport that is about to have the support machine shut off, two fighters went out and put on the best show of the year,

I like this Lopez kid, he reminds me of an old school fighter, lanky, no body beautiful with ZERO tattoos, an awkward style but comfortable with his awkwardness, this is a big problem with fighters that are MORE than "club fighters" a lot of the time they put too much thought into trying to land the perfect shot and therefore spend all night stinking the joint out waiting for the perfect situation to materialize, Lopez threw punches that winged or missed and kept coming without getting discouraged,

he seemed to have a grasp of the fundamentals, distance, timing, combination punching, and Ron, if your reading this, he flies right in the face of your theories on muscle development as he looked scrawny and undefined next to the ripped and deeply muscled physique of Ortiz yet landed the more damaging blows and had the strength to wrestle and push Ortiz around,

I don't see Ortiz taking the rematch, the outcome would be the same again, Lopez deserves the shot at Canelo, it would be an entertaining scrap.

Oh yea, that post fight interview sure was bizarre, the way Ortiz people were rushing him out of the ring, he is way too honest for any publicist to not want to have a firm grasp on anything potentially damaging to his reputation he might spew in the heat of the moment.

vCash

Victor Ortiz did indeed suffer a broken jaw in his loss to Josesito Lopez on Saturday night at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Golden Boy reports that Ortiz is recovering well from surgery last night. Ortiz says he wants a rematch. Source: Fightnews

vCash

Josesito: This is my Rocky moment

Lopez Meets the Press after Upset Win; Matthysse Speaks; Canelo talks September 15

By Miguel Maravilla

Shortly after his spectacular win Riverside’s Josesito Lopez spoke to the media at the post fight press conference at Staples Center Saturday night as he scored a ninth round technical knockout over “Vicious” Victor Ortiz of Oxnard in this southern California showdown. Ortiz suffered a suspected broken jaw which forced him to quit at the end of round nine.

Lopez, as would be expected, was in high spirits when he came to the podium. “I came in good shape and ready to go to war with Victor Ortiz,” Lopez said.

Regarding the Ortiz rabbit punch that caused a lengthy break in the action, Lopez stated, “He hit me in the back of the head/neck. I felt like a little pulled muscle but I was ready to go. There is no quitting in me….Ortiz hits hard. He’s strong and he got me a few times. There were times where he got my attention, but at no point was I hurt,” Lopez told Fightnews.com. “This is my Rocky moment I am in still in somewhat of a shock but we did it,” Josesito stated.

With the loss Victor Ortiz’ September 15 date at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas with WBC super welterweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez slips away. Ortiz was not present at the post fight press conference as he was taken to California Medical Center in Los Angeles, but his manager Rolando Arellano said a few words. “It is an unfortunate set of circumstances,” Arellano said to the media. “We would like to congratulate Josesito Lopez. My only concern is the safety well-being of my fighter.”

Also making an appearance was the man who was scheduled to fight Victor Ortiz, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. “Congratulations to Josesito,” said Canelo. “I want to wish Victor well. We are ready for September 15. My team and I will be talking about a few opponents.” Alvarez told Fightnews.com he knew Ortiz was in for a hard night early on. “[Lopez] surprised me. After the first round I knew it was going to be a great fight and that’s how it was.”

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by prototypeofamodernmadman View Post
    I like this Lopez kid, he reminds me of an old school fighter, lanky, no body beautiful with ZERO tattoos, an awkward style but comfortable with his awkwardness, this is a big problem with fighters that are MORE than "club fighters" a lot of the time they put too much thought into trying to land the perfect shot and therefore spend all night stinking the joint out waiting for the perfect situation to materialize, Lopez threw punches that winged or missed and kept coming without getting discouraged,

he seemed to have a grasp of the fundamentals, distance, timing, combination punching, and Ron, if your reading this, he flies right in the face of your theories on muscle development as he looked scrawny and undefined next to the ripped and deeply muscled physique of Ortiz yet landed the more damaging blows and had the strength to wrestle and push Ortiz around,

I don't see Ortiz taking the rematch, the outcome would be the same again, Lopez deserves the shot at Canelo, it would be an entertaining scrap.
    I think you and many others are vastly over-rating Lopez based on this performance. Yes, it was a great story . . yes he showed a great chin and heart, but he's not a top-level fighter. Canelo a huge 154 lber vs a natural 140 lber would crush Lopez. I also don't like Lopez vs any of the top 5 guys at 140. His technique is amateurish and he leaves himself wide open. And his punches may have had more of an effect on Ortiz b/c Victor is not mr. durable, but his were definitely not harder than Ortiz's. He has that natural wirey strength a lot of guys have but him being soft at 144 did not help him in that fight by any means.
    In a rematch I'd give the edge to Ortiz but Victor's mindset will be all important. How he responds to the criticism after this may crush him.

vCash

Alvarez dissects Lopez and takes him out in 6-7 rds.

vCash

Alvarez dissects Lopez and takes him out in 6-7 rds.
    I don't see this fight taking place. Lopez is a natural junior welterweight. He's too small to face Alvarez. Lopez stated he was dropping back to jww. He'd probably take Ortiz on in a rematch.

Administrator
    vCash

I thought Ortiz was well on his way to stopping this kid (and should have done it by then if he was even a SLIGHTLY better fighter).
    Josesito was doing as well as he could have but he was clearly out-gunned by a bigger guy.
    Lopez had the moves but not the schooling to truly break Ortiz down.
    He got lucky due to punching at the right moment when Ortiz had no respect for his power.
    I don't see Ortiz being mentally impacted by this loss.
    I think he knew it was his fight to lose and blew it by not stepping on the gas enough.
    Ortiz was never going to out-box Lopez but he could definitely walk him down and knock him out.
    He just took too much time to get his bearings and got caught with that lucky shot with an open mouth.
    Hopefully he learns why you should breathe through the nose whenever possible.
    A lot of guys would have quit with that same injury - maybe not Artur Abraham but, many others would have.

Lopez has some good stuff but he has a bit of refinement to work on.
    Whether he can get it together by the time of a rematch is another question.
    Kudos to the kid for sticking with it and creating the upset.
    Boxing needs a few stories like that these days.

I was disappointed to see that punch to the back of the head by Ortiz.
    He clearly has issues to work on while in that ring.
    Someone who is taking shots and headbutts like that has a Tyson-esque meltdown in their psyche somewhere.

Alvarez would cripple Lopez with a body shot.
    I thought Lopez showed way too much hurt by Ortiz's shots (which were broadcasted and not quality).

+ Reply to Thread