Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marvis Frazier vs some recent paper champs

vCash

Marvis Frazier vs some recent paper champs

I've been recently rewatching a lot of Marvis Frazier fights, and have been impressed by his high energy, fast pace and crowding style. His wins over James Broad, Joe Bugner, Bernard Benton, Quick Tillis, Jose Ribalta, and Bonecrusher Smith were all fun, action fights where he was able to overcome huge size disadvantages and even knockdowns. No brute strength like Smokin' Joe, but a fine fighter indeed, at least in my opinion.

Obviously Lennox Lewis seems a bad match up for him, but how about the other two guys who were able to steal a couple of Lennox's belts, how does Marvis do versus:

John Ruiz
    Chris Byrd

And, how about these more high profile recent paper champs:

James Toney
    Nikolay Valuev
    David Haye

vCash

Re: Marvis Frazier vs some recent paper champs

I talked with the bartender at the Florida Boxing hall of Fame this weekend. He's a very enthusiastic boxing fan, especially proud of his fellow Puerto Rican champions - with one exception - John Ruiz. John's gift was to pull so many other more-talented fighters into his black hole of mediocrity. And it was his gift, not ours. Marvis should handle him unless . . . .

Marvis beats Byrd. The Toney match, assuming James is in decent condition, would be something not to miss. Valuev and Haye - no opinion.

I'd throw two recent adversaries - Tomas Adamek and Eddie Chambers - into the Marvis Frazier mix, also good matches favoring Joe's kid.

vCash

I hate to admit that I am not familiar enough with the five fighters you listed to have an educated opinion on how Marvis Frazier would do against each of them. I have though, watched tapes of many of his fights and definitely believe he is historically underrated, especially considering the vast size difference between Marvis and many of his opponents. I have often wondered how he would have come out against the likes of Michael Spinks and Evander Holyfield or even George Foreman and Larry Holmes during their second times around. Have you ever seen the Marvis Frazier/James Broad professional fight? Now there was boxing at it's best! Incidentally, there is a book about Marvis Frazier's life due out soon. The website that tells all about it and has clips of several of his fights is: http://www.meetmarvisfrazier.com. Thanks
    PS. Where did you get video of his Bernard Benton fight?

vCash

I would favor him over Ruiz (Ruiz was successful vs slow overweight guys of the early 2000s who he could frustrate and outwork, but Frazier doesn't fall in that category) and Byrd, who also excelled vs the slower overweight guys but who would hate fighting a volume guy like Marvis.
    Haye-Marvis would be a FOTY candidate. Haye would probably hurt and drop Frazier early but I can see Marvis coming back strong and wearing Haye out. The best Toney at HW vs Frazier I'd favor the more skilled fatman from Michigan, who had more inside skills.

+ Reply to Thread