Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pavlik: A Golden Opportunity To Be Back On HBO

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Pavlik: A Golden Opportunity To Be Back On HBO

vCash

Re: Pavlik: A Golden Opportunity To Be Back On HBO

This looks like an HBO showcase fight to promote Pavlik. The question is, for what?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by don1234 View Post
    This looks like an HBO showcase fight to promote Pavlik. The question is, for what?
    My guess is that in Pavlik, they find a viewer-friendly world class hard-hitting boxer with a good story, i.e., beating the odds in overcoming addiction to make another run at a title, all at a discounted rate.

Just my two cents.

vCash

All of the above part of the mix. If he shows well against Rosinsky, who is clearly the opponent here, it builds Kelly's credibility and gives HBO a bit more leverage in the Chavez/Martinez matchmaking, in addition to that fight's aftermath. If C/M is made, putting Pavlek on the undercard - well matched - sets up the winner's first title defense. If Kelly looks pedestrian in the Rosinsky fight, he's easily dropped and forgotten - at this level of promotion.

vCash

I donít see Pavlik making it back to the top again. He has looked predictable in his two comeback fights. His style hasnít changed. He doesnít make a smooth transition between offense and defense. After all his years in the ring one would think his muscle memory between the two would be second nature by now.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

It seems pretty obvious to me that the only reason a fighter like Pavlik, who is heading straight toward mediocrity, is getting yet another chance is simple:

He's white.

No other reason, because he's not a championship level fighter in any way anymore...

GorDoom

+ Reply to Thread