Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audley Harrison

Roberto Aqui

Audley Harrison

First time I've seen Harrison in action and I must say the Brits have labeled him appropriately.

For a giant, touted Olympic gold medalist he is the weakest fighter per potential I've seen in a while. A washerwomen would be ashamed of that jab of his, and hard to believe but he let Guinn outwork him and let him get in close to land.

Don't think Guinn is going anywhere, but at least he has a scalp for his scrapbook.

vCash

Re: Audley Harrison

Roberto- It is hard to believe that Dominick Guinn was
    fighting a talented opponent who had alot less desire
    than himself. Guinn was getting inside and moving his
    hands while landing many more effective blows, especially
    to the body. Harrison was throwing relatively few punches,
    many of them missing. As a result, I had trouble scoring
    even one round for Harrison, who lacks the mental makeup
    to be a fighter.

- Chuck Johnston

vCash

if it wasn't for the well endowed lady in the low cut blouse sitting ring center a few rows back i would have turned this fight off after two rounds.

pitty pat bullshit is all either one of these guys offer. how the hell did audley harrison win a gold medal in the olympics? i am surprised joe frazier was not throwing up as the in studio guest. stinko!
    greg

Roberto Aqui

This quote from fightnews sums up the bout:

[[ A fight broke out in the final minute of the final round, with both men throwing bombs.]]

Actually Guinn was taking the fight to Harrison the whole fight. There was no incoming to stop him.

vCash

I'd like to see them institute stricter age limits in the Olympics. Harrison won a gold because he was a 30 year old man fighting mostly younger kids. Imagine if todays top pros didn't turn pro and remained amateur until they were 30. Geez. And the Olympics doesn't penalize grabbing the way they do in the pros, nor do they score body shots. Nowadays, winning a gold medal means less than ever in regards to future pro prospects.

vCash

This was one of the worst "fights" I've seen in awhile. Both undercard matches were much more exciting, as are most sparring sessions I've watched in my gym. Even when Ruiz fought, you at least had the sense that he WANTED to win, that he had a desire, some spark that said "I am a fighter, I will win" even if he used a lot of clinching and ugly mauling on the inside. Guinn and especially Harrison were just so apathetic and lukewarm in there that neither could never fight again and I would be fine with it.

I guess it's because I missed the Byrd-Williamson fiasco but this was the worst heavyweight fight I've seen in years.

vCash

As harsh as he sounded, I really liked Joe Frazier's commentary. He was spot on. These guys don't have that will to win, that hunger, that confidence.

Hey what's up with that clip of Doug Jones v. Frazier. I didn't even know it existed. Anyone know how to go about obtaining a copy of that fight?

Banned
    vCash

Audley, baby, boobie, bubala, it's called a fucking JAB, a straight punch from your shoulder to the nose of your opponent fired through your lead arm (that would be your right, sweetie)!
    Have you ever heard of it? Can you grok the concept?
    Jeeze-Louise, how many "byes" were you gifted with on the way to that Olympic "championship" you supposedly "won"?
    A JAB, man, a simple, uncomplicated, and instinctive (in most guys, anyhow) JAB! PeteLeo.

vCash

I'm with Joe Frazier.

After the Andre Berto fight, Brian Kenny asked Joe what he thought of the fight. Joe replied, "What fight?"

Frazier is right - these guys today don't know a thing about fighting. Even the pound-for-pound best in the world Floyd Mayweather has several serious stylistic flaws that would have made him fodder for top 10 guys from Frazier's era.

Frazier's disappointment and disgust with the state of boxers today was palpable. It was an insult to have him sit through those fights and be forced to comment on them. One thing you could say about Joe Frazier is that he brought everything to the table every night and it was either kill or be killed. If I had a son right now, and I was looking for a trainer to show him how to fight - I'd head for Broad Street in North Philly.

vCash

Greg
    You and i were looking at the same two things.
    And she was nice looking too

Frank B.

Under the cover's of your mother's bed...
    vCash

The fight was terrible, neither fighter deserves to be on television ever again; Guinn benefitted (a little anyway) from fighting such a pathetic heavy. The highlight of the evening was Teddy asking James Toney (Im paraphrasing)

"If you step in the ring again don't you think you owe it to the fans to come in lighter and in better shape?"

Teddy called him out nicely, looked like JT was caught a little off guard.

and as great as Frasier is, he apparently is tone deaf, did anyone hear him belting out Mustang Sally about 1/2 a note off key?

Administrator
    vCash

Why the hell is Guinn still GETTING television appearances? Prior to last night, he was winless in his last 4 times on TV.

vCash

Audley Harrison

As a UK fight fan I have of course being following Audley Harrisons career since his amateur days. When he won the Gold medal I was looking forward to his professional career as I really felt we had a Heavyweight hope of some substance on our shores. He seemed to have ability and was also intelligent and articulate, so I was thinking this guy could be a really good avert for the sport of Boxing here in the UK. I never had him down as the next great Heavyweight, but felt there was a chance of him picking up a World Title.

But then he turned professional......

He turned professional with a big fat pay deal with BBC TV and immediately recieved many negative comments about the level of opposition. I still say this was a little unfair as the fighters he was facing at the start of his career were no worse than what most 'Heavyweight hopes' face. But my problem woth this was that all these fights were on live TV as the main event, when they were not main event material and would have been better suited to the undercard.

I started to lose interest in Harrisons career after his points win over an old, overweight Julius Francis in 2004. Granted Francis is a cagey old pro who knows how to survive but Harrison really should have stopped him. I wasn't expected a devestating Shavers type one shot KO, but Harrison just seemed unwilling or unable to put together a sustained, aggressive assault and at least force the ref to stop the fight, if nothing else.

From that moment on Harrison struck me as a fighter who always looked for the path of least resisitance, I may be wrong, but that's just the impression I get. This atitude as we all know will only take you so far in Boxing as no matter how skilled you are, sooner or later you have to show your fighting spirit in the heat of battle and if you don't have that inner quality, you will progress no further. Harrison has now reached that point in my humble opinion.

Unfortunatly it looks like Audley Harrison will rightly or wrongly be remembered as a Gold medal winner who couldn't cut it as a professional and the claim he made before turning professional that "I could win the British Heavyweight Title within five fights" will come back to haunt him again and again.

vCash

KOJOE's assessment says it all.

Harrison seemingly has lacked any form of inner hunger. I would not pinpoint his malaise as been due to his age, physical construction or inherent ability to learn.

The lucrative BBC contract and his penchent for wanting to do everything (promote, negotiate) may have played a part. It is not that a fighter should fit the old stereotype of "moi manager does all da talkin" rather it is perhaps better to have some sort of a buffer even while you remain in control.

I watched him once in West London but like the crowd was disappointed. His much smaller American opponent failed to come out for the fifth round if I remember correctly but Harrison ought to have ended it in style.

Disappointing.

Administrator
    vCash

Just what I thought, 2 guys afraid to get into a fight.
    Both of these guys have always looked decent when their opponent isn't trying to hurt or pressure them that much. Back in the day I wish Grant won his fight against Guinn, I think he would have provided a bit more interest. If he wasn't so fractured back then he would have.

All these guys did was create mode fodder to help Valuev sit on his title and get some wins. One of these guys will fight him in the next year or so after he gets through Beck. I hope I never see either of them again.

vCash

hey frank,

lol. now i know you are going to be all right. your right she was a hell of a looker.
    greg

vCash

From the BBC

Audley Harrison post fight quotes.

"I've got to re-galvanise myself," said the 34-year-old Harrison. "I wasn't hurt at all at any time, I just didn't put my foot on the gas.

"I've just got to go back to the drawing board. This ain't over yet."

"I've got to keep working on it," said Harrison. "I'm close, but I just haven't come over the mountain yet.

"Frank Bruno went for world titles three or four times and eventually he got there."

With due respect to Harrison I for one shall not be holding my breath.

vCash

Frank Bruno was given those opportunities because he was a big puncher and he had some cajones. He was an entertaining fighter. Harrison should really just get out of boxing. It's great that he's making millions of dollars to walk around the ring, clinch, and throw a half hearted jab and straight left that usually misses for twelve rounds but most boxers, and other professionals in the world, actually have to work for their money. Harrison's peformance against Guinn was an insult to pro boxing. Can this guy possibly have any fans left?

vCash

For a guy whose career was on the line, Harrison was remarkably passive. But for the last minute of round ten, he fought like a guy who was afraid to get hit. I simply think he's in the wrong line of work. He didn't look like he had much in the desire dept.

vCash

You guys musta never seen Audley before. He started out in the UK in 2001 bumping off US clubfighters half his size before people started questioning why he was steering clear of any one in the UK top 10. He refused to fight anyone, kept fighting dead bodys & when the act got tired & the BBC dumped him instead of proving himself against a ranked european or world class fighter he ran off to the US so he could continue fighting bums.

Then all of a sudden hes 34 with no ranking & zero public interest so he was forced to come back to the UK & fight Danny Williams. And big surprise his softy padded career left him undeveloped since his debut & he refused to fight or risk getting knocked out by DW.

The laughable thing about the Guinn fight is that Audley found the ONE GUY on the world scene who was passive enough & negative enough for Audley to actually beat AND HE EVEN MANAGED TO LOSE TO HIM!!!

I liked Audleys big talk early on but he truly is a chump.

vCash

You guys musta never seen Audley before. He started out in the UK in 2001 bumping off US clubfighters half his size before people started questioning why he was steering clear of any one in the UK top 10. He refused to fight anyone, kept fighting dead bodys & when the act got tired & the BBC dumped him instead of proving himself against a ranked european or world class fighter he ran off to the US so he could continue fighting bums.

Then all of a sudden hes 34 with no ranking & zero public interest so he was forced to come back to the UK & fight Danny Williams. And big surprise his softy padded career left him undeveloped since his debut & he refused to fight or risk getting knocked out by DW.

The laughable thing about the Guinn fight is that Audley found the ONE GUY on the world scene who was passive enough & negative enough for Audley to actually beat AND HE EVEN MANAGED TO LOSE TO HIM!!!

vCash

vCash

It's worth visiting Audley Harrison's website for the comedy value. Here are some pictures from the Guinn fight:
    http://www.audleyharrison.com/gallery/default.asp?id=88
    It is clear from this gallery that Harrison was robbed.

I'm surprised they managed to get a dozen photos of Harrison throwing punches, and I suspect they are of just one punch taken from several different angles.

+ Reply to Thread