Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michael Dokes vs Larry Holmes

vCash

Michael Dokes vs Larry Holmes

The Michael Dokes who had the draw with Mike Weaver vs the Larry Holmes who barely beat Tim Witherspoon.In a 15 round fight, who manages to win the decision?

vCash

Re: Michael Dokes vs Larry Holmes

I will just say, Larry always found a way to win.

vCash

I cant help thinking that when neither is doing much...Larry does more...Mike tended to open up with short-lived fast flurries...against slower accessible targets
    like Gardener or Weaver, Dokes could look sporadically impressive, but this would be much harder to achieve with the Holmes Deluxe Jab constantly coming his way. As Dokes is not a Constant aggressor, but more a sudden Ambush merchant off the back foot, His chances of springing a Witherspoon, Shavers, or Snipes type of "Shock-Sock" Are Slim, I actually think Larry could spend a lot of time Manoeuvring Mike with his Jab, and Moving because you have to, and not because you want to can be much more tiring, I can see mike Huffing and Puffing after the 12th...it mike depend on Larry's own disposition, to stick with the comfortable softening up...my guess is at some stage Larry gets Mike on the Ropes...Extends his Left Hand..And starts Clubbing with the right Hand...Cultured Larry's oft used Industrial Method for finishing off wounded prey...With Mike Eyes Swollen..and looking sorry for himself...i can see a white towel fluttering in and prompting the Ref's gentlemans excuse me...

AS for the Points...Larry is clearly ahead...Does Mikes Afro Hair help him...Even when Larry misses..it looks like he's landing..

vCash

As a big Dokes fan (and Holmes fan, too, though), I'd bet on Dokes in this one. That May 1983 Dokes was actually at the end of his four year, 1980-1983 prime, but Holmes was well past his (Witherspoon almost beat him), and Larry was a lazier, less productive fighter offensively. If a motivated Dokes comes in there firing away, Dokes had more amateur skills than did Holmes, equal pro skills, and was a faster and more aggressive fighter than Larry. If he was all over Larry as he was in Dokes-Weaver #1, I say he beats this tired, near-the-end Larry. Not that he'd drop him or KO him as he did to Weaver.

Not arguing with you guys above, you might be right, I am just presenting an alternate scenario which I think could very well have played out this way.

Were this a prime Larry (that would be 1978 for sure, IMO), then I'd take Holmes by decision.

vCash

The Holmes who still had enough to edge Witherspoon (who never looked as good again as he did vs Holmes) and Smith would have beaten Dokes. Dokes's stamina was never the best and Larry's jab would have landed often

+ Reply to Thread