The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: carmin basilio vs jose napoles

vCash

carmin basilio vs jose napoles

who would win this fantasy fight?

vCash

Re: carmin basilio vs jose napoles

Over 15 rounds..i have grave concerns for the sanctity of Jose's eyebrows...if nothing else, in this match, towards the end of his career Jose was put through hell by Armando Muniz, A younger Prime Jose would i have little doubt find Basilio a rougher handful than Muniz, Jose was not tank of a fighter, he was a precision instrument, and these can be often be knocked off Kilter and have the Precision and co-ordinated responses knocked out of them if you can drag them into your trench, Jose it could be said is like the Rolls Royce smooth and Stately, Basilio Like the Humvee, little style but on Rough terrain much more durable, Like a Race between a Rolls Royce and Humvee i would expect Jose to cruise to an Early Lead...Classic and Clasasy...but thats on the early freeway...What happens when Basilio manuveres the race down a Dirt Back Road, How does the Classic Rolls deal with the Rutted Track..the Barging and Sideswiping...i can see Mirrors coming off. Bodywork badly scrathed...and Dented....Carmin the Humvee, not the Classier Model, but the toughest...over 15 rounds i feel can catch up and slowly batter the resistence out of Jose, particularly those tender eyes... you know you can batter Carmin all night..his head my resemble a Carmen Moranda Fruit Hat
    but he will not stop...the same i feel can not be said of Jose, Over 12 perhaps he can hang on to an early expected lead...But not i fear over 15, Jose not quite Robust enough with this Great Warrior.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Its 15 rounds because that's the era... P4P Napoles is the better fighter. BUT, He's not gonna ko or stop Carmen who will keep coming & keep coming like he did to Robinson in the first fight.

Basilio by late round too on cuts or close decision. He would simply outwork The Butter Man.

GorDoom

vCash

I can see a situation where Jose wins this match. Carm always seems to fight at the level of his opponent. He is not a true champion that dominates fighter. He just likes to fight and if wins fine, if he does it was still a great time.

I think that Carm will be getting picked apart early on. Really bad. Then he will start to pressure. Jose will bleed but he will not be stopped because of blood. This is is about as toss up for me as it gets. If Carmen starts of fast and turns it into a fight I see a classic that he should be favored to win. Why would it be a classic? I think that Jose will try and fight his way back to a boxing match. Carmen will be fighting to Not let that happen. A battle of wills. If it comes to WILL I go with CARMEN BASILLIO. Like the second Saxton. But if Carmen is not hard charging, but rather, off the gass, losing rounds, getting hit a lot, staring and looking for Jose then he will be getting outboxed in a close decision loss. Just like that. Just like the first Saxton.

I'll take Carmen because I like him better and I know him better. But Jose is a live one.
    Last edited by JLP 6; 08-23-2012 at 07:18 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLP 6 View Post
    . Like the second Saxton. But if Carmen is not hard charging, but rather, off the gass, losing rounds, getting hit a lot, staring and looking for Jose then he will be getting outboxed in a close decision loss. Just like that. Just like the first Saxton.

I'll take Carmen because I like him better and I know him better. But Jose is a live one.
    Saxton's win over Basilio was contoversial.

vCash

Here is the balance of the article.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GorDoom View Post
    Its 15 rounds because that's the era... P4P Napoles is the better fighter. BUT, He's not gonna ko or stop Carmen who will keep coming & keep coming like he did to Robinson in the first fight.

Basilio by late round too on cuts or close decision. He would simply outwork The Butter Man.

GorDoom
    Agree for the same reason. Plus few were as tough as Carmen.

vCash

Hey Dan,

Thanks for reading my post and responding with that great article. I don't want argue with eye witnesses but, the times I watched the fight I saw a fight that Carmen let Saxton win. Saxton boxed well and Carmen did not charge hard ever round. He could have but he didn't. Carmen was one of the most popular fighter and Saxton was not.

My point is that it was a close fight no matter who won. Saxton is not of the ilk of Jose Napoles. If Carmen does not come with the thunder he can lose this match. It is his match in my mind to win or lose.

vCash

Jose Napoles at welter is not the ilk of Napoles at lightweight. Basilio is the better welter and he would take charge and make Napoles fight hard all night.

Carmen by late TKO.

vCash

I am sorry but, isn't Napoles the same guy who just about ruled the welterweight division for about 6 years with 15 undesputed title defenses? Beating Curtis Cokes and Emile Griffith even moving up to 160 to fight Monzon during that reign.

I am not saying that he beats Carmen but...

vCash

I am sorry but, isn't Napoles the same guy who just about ruled the welterweight division for about 6 years with 15 undesputed title defenses? Beating Curtis Cokes and Emile Griffith even moving up to 160 to fight Monzon during that reign.

I am not saying that he beats Carmen but...
    Nobody is saying Napoles is not a all time great fighter. He was no doubt about it. Carmin was also a great fighter. I just don't see Napoles out punching or out working Basillio. It would be a great fight with Carmin winning in a very hard fight. I know this has nothing to do with nothing, But Carmin beat SRR. Napoles got the shit beat out of him by Monzon. Forgive me. Just thought I should bring that up.

vCash

MrBig1 - And there's me thinking it was Suntanned Butter !!

vCash

As a Napoles fanatic (yet still a great critic of him), with a particular weakness for not watching fights where "my" guy is on the receiving end of a beatdown, I have not seen Monzon-Napoles. However, a good boxing guy I know said Napoles was doing well until thumbed twice. Anyone see the fight recently and could give me a good, brief CBZer report?

BTW, what's the tale of the tape on Basilio-Napoles? I think Napoles has an inch in height but I don't know the reach.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by theironbar View Post
    However, a good boxing guy I know said Napoles was doing well until thumbed twice. Anyone see the fight recently and could give me a good, brief CBZer report?
    Here is the New York Times coverage of the fight.

vCash

Here is “The Ring” magazine coverage of the fight.

vCash

I had that fight. Napoles was pressing the action hard for all of the rounds. Monzon was under the type of pressure that Briscoe put on him. But Napoles was too small and probably past it after 20 plus years in the ring. I think we can all agree that Carmen does not beat Monzon on his best night. Yes, Carmen did beat Robinson. This is true but, so did Turpin. What happened the rematch? Robinson had Carmen's eye looking like a baseball. I cannot name too many prime middleweights that would beat Monzon, not to mention a lightweight/welterweight/one-fight middleweight Napoles.

Heck, stepping up to fight Monzon shows you what kind of heart and determination Jose had as a fighter. Can you see Mayweather testing thoses waters? After that fight he simply went back down and resumed beating on more welters.

I picked Carmen for this bout in each of my post so that we are clear. I think Carmen does beat Jose. I think it would as tough a bout for Carmen as any he has had including the Robinson bouts.

Thanks.

vCash

I cannot name too many prime middleweights that would beat Monzon, not to mention a lightweight/welterweight/one-fight middleweight Napoles.
    Seriously, JLP? I think most every middleweight champion until the last decade, and a number of top middle contenders, would have beaten Napoles when in their primes. Why are you giving so much credit to Napoles that you think he beats most middleweights in their primes? He has not shown any ability to do that.

And, why give so little apparent credit to Turpin? Turpin was as big as a light-heavy and I'd bet on him to knock Napoles out at middleweight.

I think the legend of Napoles gets more than a bit stretched. This was no Hearns, Leonard, Duran, or RJJ who could move up, weight after weight, and still beat everyone. He moved from lightweight to welter quite successfully, but that was it.

Also, the logic of your sentence that I quoted is, I think, unintentionally flawed . . . as written, it implies that the harder man for prime middles to beat is Napoles, not Monzon. That's not what you meant, is it?

vCash

Thanks Dan -- but yikes, not the prettiest read for a Napoles fan!

I lean towards Basilio as well over 15 rounds, but I find Jose as rough and tough, and with as much heart, as anyone out there. Stronger than sometimes given credit for as well.

Mike -- I think you misread the post -- JLP said "beat Monzon" not "Napoles"...
    Last edited by theironbar; 09-04-2012 at 11:31 AM.

vCash

I had that fight. Napoles was pressing the action hard for all of the rounds. Monzon was under the type of pressure that Briscoe put on him. But Napoles was too small and probably past it after 20 plus years in the ring. I think we can all agree that Carmen does not beat Monzon on his best night. Yes, Carmen did beat Robinson. This is true but, so did Turpin. What happened the rematch? Robinson had Carmen's eye looking like a baseball. I cannot name too many prime middleweights that would beat Monzon, not to mention a lightweight/welterweight/one-fight middleweight Napoles.

Heck, stepping up to fight Monzon shows you what kind of heart and determination Jose had as a fighter. Can you see Mayweather testing thoses waters? After that fight he simply went back down and resumed beating on more welters.

I picked Carmen for this bout in each of my post so that we are clear. I think Carmen does beat Jose. I think it would as tough a bout for Carmen as any he has had including the Robinson bouts.

Thanks.
    Agree with everything you wrote. I wish I would have said it as good as you. If there was a MW who could be Monzon at his best. It would a very short list. I just Know in order to Beat Carmin at his best you have better bring it. Napoles was one of my favorite fighters of my Youth. I'm a big fan of his. I love the fantasy section on this board. You guys know your shit. If we disagree we still respect each other. Unlike many boxing boards.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Frank View Post
    Seriously, JLP? I think most every middleweight champion until the last decade, and a number of top middle contenders, would have beaten Napoles when in their primes. Why are you giving so much credit to Napoles that you think he beats most middleweights in their primes? He has not shown any ability to do that.

And, why give so little apparent credit to Turpin? Turpin was as big as a light-heavy and I'd bet on him to knock Napoles out at middleweight.

I think the legend of Napoles gets more than a bit stretched. This was no Hearns, Leonard, Duran, or RJJ who could move up, weight after weight, and still beat everyone. He moved from lightweight to welter quite successfully, but that was it.

Also, the logic of your sentence that I quoted is, I think, unintentionally flawed . . . as written, it implies that the harder man for prime middles to beat is Napoles, not Monzon. That's not what you meant, is it?
    Hey Mike, thanks for the response.

Yeah, I diffinately did not mean that. Hahahah! I think the other guys caught what I meant. I will try to do a better job of getting my point across. Thank you Iron Bar and mrbig1 for helping in clarifying that and also your points as well.

+ Reply to Thread