Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nicknames that just don't fit the fighter.

vCash

Nicknames that just don't fit the fighter.

For me the worst is is Ricardo Mayorga's. "El Matador"? Really, it should be "El Toro".

vCash

Re: Nicknames that just don't fit the fighter.

Well, "Matadores" always kill "Toros."

Banned
    vCash

Michael "Second To" Nunn.
    Carl "the Truth" Williams (the truth was he had a china chin).
    Hector "Macho" Camacho (really looked "macho" against Rosario, didn't he?).
    Rick "King Kong" Keller (he was big and hairy, but he took a punch no better than Fay Wray).
    And, eventually, "Iron" Mike Tyson (if you get stopped by Kevin McBride -- no matter how old or shot you happen to be --, you can no longer claim a nickname of more tensile strength than candle wax). PeteLeo.

vCash

tiger ted lowry. he was the opposite of a tiger

vCash

Johnny "the entertainer" Nelson(one of the most boring fighters ever, though the nickname is most likely poking fun at his safety-first style)

Simon "Mantequilla" Brown(Good boxer-puncher early in his career, quickly dispensed with any smooth skills in favour of an aggressive slugging approach)

Freddie"lil' Hagler" Norwood(LOL)

vCash

James "Bonecrusher" Smith didn't really deserve such a great nickname, though Tim Witherspoon might disagree.

vCash

Keller's nickname is probably derived from the baseball's slugging "King Kong Keller".

There are names that don't fit...and names that are plain dumb...or at least silly. Others just seem to be the result of laziness.

How about "TNT" Tubbs? His physique DID look like the reassembled scraps of the contents of some dynamited fat-factory. He did indeed have blazing handspeed..but TNT is more concussive, prone to leave large craters and blow things up. Bullets are fast. Tony "Bullets" Tubbs? hmm. Tubbs was from Cincinnati, so Razor had been taken by Ezzard Charles. Cincy Kid? See below. I would have called him "Stationary" Tubbs. Those things in basements hooked up to washers. They hit as hard as Tony, are at least as dedicated...and move as well laterally as well. Just because your name is Tony and TNT starts with T and boxing is violent doesn't mean it makes any sense..or is a good choice.

I will ignore anyone with "Kid" which to me is the worst mass-used nickname ever by default when one really thinks about it. Chapo tis included with "Mr" as close to worst.."Mr" is kinda like "Guy". You know the people that call everyone 'guy'? Are you one of them? If so, please report to the annoying department in your local area for registration. "BigCat". Anyone who is big and not inert is now Big Cat. There was one Big Cat. No, not Cleveland Williams...Johnny Mize.

Some that confuse me, some that seem the result of laziness and some that are just plain dumb:

"BigTime" McCline: melted in every big fight he had. He was big and he was a major fighter for a spell so I guess it makes sense. It also has the benefit or almost rhyming. They discovered long ago that poems don't have to rhyme to be boring, and McCline is boring and cannot hit for a big guy. "BigGuy"? "Really Big"? "Big Softy"? Better.

"Terrible" Witherspoon, Norris, Morales: Terrible can mean foreboding, dangerous, imposing... and it can mean worse than merely awful. Terrible starts with T like Tim and Terry, and is good for those fighters with a T name who want their nickname BEFORE their first name and want alliteration. Witherspoon was often terrible as in poor, and Norris was as well. Why give the scribes fodder? How about for Tim someone might have said "Tremendous"? Well, then it would lead to "Tremendous Load", "Tremendous Load Of _______" or "Tremendous Waste" and/or "Tremendous Waist". Ditto for "Titanic". Morales gets away with having it in Spanish which then makes his nickname like some sort of title.

"Cobra" DeWitt: liked the fighter a lot. How about a more appropriate name. A cobra is lightning fast and spooky. DeWitt was bashed in and gritty. We can keep it a reptile name..just maybe something sort of dangerous but not ultra-deadly nor lightning fast. I got it. "Snapping Turtle". See the resemblance?

"Pinky" Thomas: this doesn't work if your name is Steven. If your name is Steven Thomas you don't get introduced as "Steven....Stevey...Thomas" by Ed Darian. What the hell kind of name is Pinklon..and then the laziness of using Pinky as his nickname. Pinklon was around when Waymon Tisdale was playing college hoops. Waymon is a dumb derivative of Raymond. Pinklon I guess is like Franklin. See Frank Bruno for what I think about guys with names like Franklin Thomas. Face it: Pinklon was doomed when it came to a nickname. My advice would have been to completely go in another direction from anything to do with his name. How about "He actually looks in shape" Thomas. Which brings us to:

"Pink Cat" Walker: a mute cartoon character known best for not being funny is a perfect inspiration for a nickname for a prize fighter...I guess. Remember those kids that died their hair purple and said it wasn't to get attention?

Lamar "KidFire" Parks: combines Kid with the obligatory pyro referrence many fighters love. I don't know what "KidFire" is but it sounds like the title to an '80's movie with a serious, thoughtful world-view theme I never would have watched.

"Baby" Joe Mesi: I can't say it doesn't fit or does...it just seems odd. "Baby Joe" sounds like the name for a zoo's stud rhinoceros, or a children's literary character (usually a large monkey, dog or muppet) in a book "Baby Joe Goes To The Mall". A silly nickname but not without impact. Who wouldn't identify with the lovable everyman-family next door that called their huge son "Baby Joe" even as he routinely used catcher's mitts for winter gloves? At least they avoided using "Italian Stallian" or other Rocky referrences. Joe: You're from Buffalo..post-industrial, blue collar, snow..tough. How about "Rustasaurus Joe" or "The B-Lo Bomber"? Even "Lake Effect" is better than Baby.

Frank "Big Frank" Bruno: Overcame the challenge of being born with two first names and no last name to use one of those first names as his nickname with Big in front of it because he was big unlike other heavyweights I guess. If I were his manager I would have used any last name as his nickname. Pick one. Frank "Nixon" Bruno. In the 30's, maybe Frank becomes the "Human Sundial", "The Freeze" or "Fallin' Frank".

"Lil Hagler" Norwood: naming yourself after another fighter is common. And Hagler is a good choice, with Norwood being bald and aggressive. However, one, Halger is a little recent and was far too good to be in Norwood nickname.."Lil Bald Like Hagler But Not As Good No Disrespect Meant" would have been more accurate...and two, it begets a dangerous precedent. Luckily, as of this writing there has not yet been a "Lil Zaragoza" or "Lil Hill".

"Merciless" Ray Mercer: he was merciless on his trainers. Merciless sounds like Mercer and means he is dangerous. As a boxer this is good nickname 101. However, Ray Mercer had an attitude and dedication problem, coupled with the fact he couldn't box at all. How about "Kinda Small, Kinda Lazy" Mercer.
    Last edited by Sharkey; 04-20-2006 at 03:26 PM.

vCash

Mooch: I didn't see you already tackled Lil Hagler. Apologies.

vCash

Sharkey, LOL. That was a good-un.

What about "Two Ton Tony Galento"

Wing master

vCash

Sharkey--

Great stuff, man!

Let me mention that "Norwood" always brings to mind one of my favorite novelists: the great writer Charles Portis, whose novel "Norwood" is an under-appreciated classic.

Thanks for making me smile!

Cheers,
    Dan

vCash

"Dynamite" Dokes-tremendous handspeed, but really no power.
    "TNT" Tucker and "TNT" Tubbs- like Dokes, tremendous speed by by both, but no power from either (though if Tucker had developed, I don't think this would've been the case).

vCash

Light's Out Toney is a joke...take out the Mike Nunn fluke and I cannot remember him beating anyone due to his power. He was a decent hitter at middle, an average at light heavy and below average at cruiser and heavy...the only lights out should be in his kitchen.

vCash

"...the only lights out should be in his kitchen."

But he has to leave the kitchen lights on so he can find the McCain Deep Dish Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream Cake when he has a midnight craving....

vCash

Thant's very funny !!!

vCash

Chis "Simply The Best' Eubank.

vCash

TKO, you're making me hungry.

vCash

Does anyone remember "The Lion of Flanders" (Jean-Pierre Coopman) who fought Ali in 1976?

vCash

Sugar Ray Leonard.

When I watch Robinson swiftly glide around the ring, stoping to throw a combination and move, I see Sugar. Always with the jab, then the hook, then the right. He always found the range and always dictated the pace. He seemed more than a fighter. More like ballet. Violent ballet.

Leonard was more like an ameba or camion. He could become what ever the situation call for. He brawled to KO Hearns when running wasn't working. He threw combinations and stole the show against Hagler. Against Duran he stood toe to toe for 15 rounds and lost a thin decison in one of the greatest fights of all-time. He is suppose to be sugar too, but I see more warrior than anything.

Leonard never seemed to be that effective on the move to me. He seems better on the inside. The way he battered Ranzay looked like the picture perfect stlye for Leonard. But, he could do it all. This is why I believe that Leonard had no weaknesses as a fighter.

Robinson always made it look easy no matter who. Leonard was rough and tumble at heart, but tryed to be sugar in spite of it. Robinson always wanted distance. For Leonard I don't think it matter so much.
    Last edited by JLP 6; 04-24-2006 at 10:12 AM.

vCash

Nicknames used again get low marks, or ought to.

The Coopman observation is a winner but "Lion of Flanders" is not without merit. It's actually kind of appropriate in a way...there are no Lions in Flanders...or no wild ones anyway; and a Lion there would probably starve or get heart disease from the heavy sauces..or trampled by invading Germans. I have read there were lions in southern Europe in not so distant past days, which is hard to fathom given the industriousness necessary to avoid beeing eaten by them measured against the then locals' penchant for vomitoriums and the like. Similarly it is hard to fathom Coopman actually fought for the title, let alone himself may have been to Southern Europe. Coopman is such an interesting guy to me..universally accepted as a sweetheart of a man. Admittedly however, his nickname seems to be more unlike his fighting ability, style, personality than almost any ever. Wasn't this the guy that laughed constantly and smiled uncontrollably at Ali's taunts of him?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Someone explain "Galaxxy Warrior" to me. First, Galaxy is misspelled. Also, Campbell appears to be human and has had, as far as I know, most of his fights here on Earth. I would think tackling a Dalek or at least some galactic part time fighter, part time cab-driver from another star system would be necessary to be a "galaxxy warrior".

I nominate Owen Beck for having an at once clever, amusing and stupid nickname.

vCash

Humberto "La Chiquita" Gonzalez

"Chiquita" (Little Female)???

Banned
    vCash

Doesn't "Chiquita" also mean "little chicken"? I always thought he was calling himself a banty or something. PeteLeo.

vCash

I always thought it meant "tiny". As an adjective.

Banned
    vCash

Personally

I never thought Billy Petrolle looked like a train.

Hawk

vCash

Pete,

I grew up speaking Spanish, and I'm not aware of "Chiquita" meaning "little rooster" or anything like that.

Gancho

vCash

Hey Chiquita ( little girl ) come here.

Frank B.

vCash

Worst ever may be "Boxing" Andrew Maynard. Some are awful, some are stupid, some recycled. None was less imaginitive. Imagine "Running" Barry Sanders, or "Dribbling" Julius Erving? Neither can I.

And then there was "Lobster" Thermidore.

Banned
    vCash

You know I'm going to disagree with you here

Sharks.

I've seen Maynard in the ring. And to be honest, if it wasn't for his nickname, I might not have known what he was doing.

Meldrick Kid Taylor gets my vote. Recycled yes.

How about Renaldo Mr. Snipes. It certianly sounded cool. but what did it mean?

Hawk

vCash

In my first post on this thread, I reveal what I think of "Mr" and "Kid" as nicknames.

"Mr" Snipes sounds like a naval officer or a character on some BBC offering shown on PBS. What does "Mr" mean? Well, you know how older people in one's life use "guy" and "mister" when a kid does something bad? You know "Watch it mister!". Or when some older relative uncomfortable with children didn't know you're name: "HEEEEEEEY mister how are ya!" Either that or no one remember his first name. Just guessing.

"Galaxxy Warrior" may be my favorite retarded nickname. I honestly do not understand it. "Atomic Bull" would be silly if it didn't somehow fit Oliver McCall perfectly. As it stands, it is perfect.

-Typing Sharkey

vCash

During the 1970s, a black heavyweight from Los Angeles
    named "Dangerous" Dan Johnson was such a habitual
    loser that the California State Athletic Commission took
    away his license.

- Chuck Johnston

+ Reply to Thread