Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wild Ending to Martinez - Chavez ...

vCash

Wild Ending to Martinez - Chavez ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb2vJrY0zWc

Posted a clip of the final round ... a fight that shows what can be great about boxing ... after eleven pretty one sided rounds Chavez explodes and almost takes Martinez out .. Sergio almost too brave and not too bright keeps fighting ... a wild finish that shows Martinez a terrific but aging fighter and that Jr., while needing a lot to learn, does have some real skills ..

I also cannot believe how much bigger Chavez looks than he did 24 hours earlier at the weigh in .. I have never seen a change like this one .. really insane ... I'd love to hear what Ron thinks about that .. he looks 20 pounds larger ... he looked close to the size of the Dempsey that fought Willard in there ..

vCash

Re: Wild Ending to Martinez - Chavez ...

Thanks for posting!

vCash

The weight gain allowed for Chavez Jr has got to stop. Like in the movie "Jaws," Matt Hooper says to Capt Quint, "That's a 20 footer." Quint with his expertise at actual shark hunting says, "No, 25, three tons of him."

Chavez without any doubt in my mind put on 25 pounds and came into that ring at 183 or so. Canelo Alvarez gains a massive amount of weight also from the time of the weigh in. Why doesn't Julio Chavez jr campaign at Cruiserweight or Lightheavy? The whole game plan is to be twice as big as your opponent.

Martinez should have an ironclad clause in any future contract that Chavez Jr, will not be allowed to gain more than 10 pounds after the weigh in. Not a fine, but forfeit his entire purse and NO FIGHT.

As to the fight, neither boxer lived up to their threats of destruction against each other. Without all the pre fight hype if this was a bout we all watched on Friday night fights, all of us would say it was just an average bout. This was no Hagler V Hearns as promised by both of them.

Martinez NEVER should have allowed himself to be knocked down in the 12th round, maybe, just maybe IF, his trainer took off his French Riviera sun glasses for 11 seconds he could see what to tell him to have cemented that shutout. Kudos to Chavez Jr for scoring a knockdown over a guy 25 pounds lighter, and Kudos to Sergio for getting up. If his trainer has an eye injury I do not know about I apologize, if not TAKE THE FRIGGIN GLASSES OFF, for every interview and in the ring.

A cruiser weight against a middleweight? Sorry the King had no clothes before the fight and now he is naked.

vCash

I appreciated the beautiful and brilliant boxing of Martinez. He is an artist in there.

vCash

Yes, he boxed beautifully. However, he did not fight him or punish him or KO him in the manner he said he would. How could he? The guy weighed over 180lbs and refused to step on the unofficial HBO scale, and with good reason.

vCash

Ron, I've never seen anything like the physical transformation in Chavez. He looked tiny at the weight in and solid and huge fight night. How was he able to bulk up that fast and how did he manage to have the strength to last 12 rounds. He made the Gatti - Gamache transformation look minor.This was a middle v.s. A cruiser.

vCash

FYI, Martinez's trainer has a condition in where he is sensitive to light so he must wear sunglasses at all times.

The size difference was shocking. Chavez looked like a small cruiser weight.

vCash

Physically it looked like Dempsey v.s. Ketchel ..

vCash

The size difference really was shocking. I knew he was going to be bigger but once he was on Sergios chest on the inside we could see the true extent of the disparity.

The weight cutting issue is a problem in combat sports as a whole. Most of the time guys are in the vicinity of the same size. Everyone cuts some weight and the playing field levels out. Then you have guys like Junior who somehow manage to cut an obscene amount of weight and yet remain functional come fight night. There is nothing "special" about him EXCEPT for his ability to withstand that kind of weight cut and not induce a situation of diminishing returns.

It's not like he's just tall and lanky like a Sandy Saddler, Bob Foster, Tommy hearns, Paul Williams etc. He's just plain BIG. Sergio's ability to hang with him like that impressed me immensely. There were times where he exchanged in extended sequences in a way that was probably a little too risky. I don't think he was forced to do that either. I think he clearly made a point of standing and punching with authority and it paid dividends with the way in which Junior looked clearly discouraged. He pushed the envelope a little too much, lingered a little too long, and hopefully will address that in the inevitable rematch.

Hopefully technology solves this issue. Instead of the scale something that accurately analyzes body composition and determines level of hydration and can calculate weight at the point of optimum hydration. Scale weight would then become irrelevant.
    Last edited by JaKob; 09-16-2012 at 08:40 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
    FYI, Martinez's trainer has a condition in where he is sensitive to light so he must wear sunglasses at all times.

The size difference was shocking. Chavez looked like a small cruiser weight.
    R. Ok, I respect that, sensitive to light, all the time, indoors, in the ring, not a fashion statement but a medical condition. Truly understandable. I had a buddy who did so much coke and weed he too wore sunglasses all the time, a medical condition is understandable being sensitive to light. Then there are other corner men who have that pimp thing going wearing sunglasses indoors all the time. That particular shit went out with SUPERFLY.

I am sure this guy is an honorable man and not trying to be ultra "Cool" with the shades thing. Gaining that much weight is done in the most objectionable, unfair advantage given bullshit allowed in boxing, whether by IV hydration or whatever. Remember in Texas no one cared to do a test afterward. A 6'1" Cruiserweight against tiny middleweight competition, that's how it's done now? What a fucking joke.

vCash

Bring back same-day weigh-ins. Come in shape, ready to fight. Rehydration would be less, and reduce disparities like this.

vCash

same day weigh-ins...... Dick Tiger 168 lbs vs Jose Torres 1 light heavyweight title.
    Emile Griffith 150 1/2 lbs vs Dick Tiger middleweight title
    Floyd Patterson 182, 190lbs vs Johanson 1 and 2 heavyweight title

What did Chaves Jr step into the ring weighing the other night?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by thewonderful134 View Post
    same day weigh-ins...... Dick Tiger 168 lbs vs Jose Torres 1 light heavyweight title.

Somewhere north of 180. Where exactly no1 knows.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton View Post
    Martinez NEVER should have allowed himself to be knocked down in the 12th round, maybe, just maybe IF, his trainer took off his French Riviera sun glasses for 11 seconds he could see what to tell him to have cemented that shutout. Kudos to Chavez Jr for scoring a knockdown over a guy 25 pounds lighter, and Kudos to Sergio for getting up. If his trainer has an eye injury I do not know about I apologize, if not TAKE THE FRIGGIN GLASSES OFF, for every interview and in the ring.
    This is one thing that really irks me. People who will not remove their sun glasses when addressing another. It is the height of rudeness, and masks their real intentions. The eyes tell everything. Anyway, if he genuinely has a medical condition then fair enough. If not, he is a tool!

vCash

I could have sworn that I heard that it was a medical condition but I just did a quick google search to make sure and it seems like he is just a douche bag.

http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlin...iel-sarmiento/

vCash

Shouldn't people be allowed to wear sunglasses wherever they want if they want to? You know, I wear prescription glasses, without them I'm as good as blind, I also have prescription sunglasses and wear them indoors or in low light on many occasions because I can see much much better with them regardless of the light conditions I find myself in, and it's mostly always a nosy women that makes a remark about it as if it's anyone's business what someone wants to wear,

On the other hand I completely understand the problem with it as there are tons of douche's that wear them indoors as a way to be "cool", Andre Berto always wears sunglasses when a spectator at fights, Adrien Broner wears them indoors, I'm scores upon scores of other douchebags as well,

wearing sunglasses is also a great way to hide a hangover or long night,

along with the douchiness as Walsh pointed out, the problem with sunglasses is more of a primitive thing, when you can't see someones eyes it makes you fear the unknown and all that stuff,

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by thewonderful134 View Post

These bullshit weigh-ins are a disgrace. When Emile Griffith fought his return match with Nino Benvenuti at Shea Stadium they both weighed in the day of the fight under the MW limit. The fight was postponed one day because of bad weather and they had to weigh in the next day for that evening’s fight and they both weighed one pound less than the day before.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by newpoppop View Post
    Bring back same-day weigh-ins. Come in shape, ready to fight. Rehydration would be less, and reduce disparities like this.
    We’ll never see same day weigh-ins again as long as the alphabets are around. 17 weight divisions x 4 sanctioning bodies = big bucks in sanctioning fees. If they went to same day weigh-ins there would only be 9 weight classes tops.

+ Reply to Thread