Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: De La Hoya-Mayorga Results & Discussion 5/6/06

vCash

Re: De La Hoya-mayorga Results & Discussion 5/6/06

Last edited by kikibalt; 05-08-2006 at 09:07 AM.

vCash

Last edited by kikibalt; 05-08-2006 at 09:08 AM.

vCash

Last edited by kikibalt; 05-08-2006 at 02:42 PM.

vCash

Last edited by kikibalt; 05-08-2006 at 05:12 PM.

vCash

Last edited by kikibalt; 05-08-2006 at 09:11 AM.

vCash

[IMG]

Last edited by kikibalt; 05-09-2006 at 10:05 PM.

vCash

Mayweather turned down the Margarito fight for this. When it comes down to it and the money this fight will draw, I think DLH simply can't ignore it. Trainer woes and all.

I also happen to think at 154 DLH will beat Mayweather. He'd have to come down another weight class and even then, I thought DLH had a bit more power since being up at 160. It will be a great fight when it happens.

I'm one of the biggest DLH haters around, but that was one hell of a performence, and I hope he stays around in boxing. Boxing needs De La Hoya right now.

And please, NO TITO. Seriously. I could care less if Tito ever comes back.

vCash

Thanks Bucket and everyone for your posts, it was just like being there thanks to you guys.

The Zone is the best, the bravest and has the most honest and knowledgeable boxing people.

vCash

THANKS, MR KB:

Those are remarkable shots of our man getting past an important crossroads in his pro career. I can't remember when I enjoyed a "favorite son" performance more. Oscar was razor sharp for this one.

I can't help but feel, at this stage of my life, that I've been had by all the puff and guff peceding the fight. I actually bought into the buildup that magnified the Nicaraguan's chances to score over the dominant figure in present day boxing. It turned out to be a master taking a wayward colleague to the old wood shed. No mistaking the character we saw humble Ricardo-----that's not a "boy" anymore; that was a man doing what comes naturally. NI MODO, AMIGOS!

hap navarro

vCash

Mayorga fought real hard and had his moments, landing some decent rights, body shots, and one hellacious right uppercut, but Oscar dropped him early in the 1st with that lightning left of his and it was an uphill battle for Ricardo from there. Even when Mayorga got going and landed some good shots, you could just tell that Oscar was relaxed, calm, pacing himself well, and very confident. I liked Oscar's style, moving only just enough to make Ricardo fall short, but not using excessive movement. Oscar's puches were crisp, quick and hard, but I think the fight was actually won more on defense than offense, as strange as that sounds. Oscar was able to minimize the effectiveness of Ricardo's punches with his good head movement, slight footwork, and glove and arm lifts so that Mayorga was never really able to have more than brief bright moments. Conversely, Mayorga's defense was not as good, so he could not elude as much as Oscar. That let de la Hoya know that he could pick his moments to burst with combinations and then to be conservative to recharge himself, and when push came to shove he was going to land more and make Mayorga throw and miss more and wear himself out, which enabled Oscar to confidently walk Mayorga down.

It was a very good fight from Oscar, but the question is how he'll do against an A fighter in terms of skill. That's where the Mayweather question comes in. I think Oscar has the height, reach, speed and power, as well as experience and size/strength to deal with Floyd, but you never know, becauase Mayweather is a brilliant fighter in terms of speed, punch selection, and defensive skill. I give Floyd the edge in terms of overall skill, but Oscar the edge in overall physical attributes. Ultimately, I think Floyd is really a blown up featherweight even more so than Oscar and does not have the body frame or power that Oscar had to move up so much in weight, and that ultimately size will tell. Sure Floyd beat Zab, but Judah was kind of on the short side with a chin issue and nowhere near on the level of Oscar.

vCash

I don't think Floyd is a sure thing at all, but I'm telling you, Oscar will NOT be able to stand in the pocket like he did vs Mayorga and just beat Maywheather to the punch all night. Floyd is too fast, too many angles etc. Oscar had a lot of trouble vs a blown-up past his prime Mosley, which is the only real comparison you can make. I think the Floyd of the Judah fight with a few more lbs is better than that Mosely.

Just like Wlad-Byrd, this was a fight in which the styles PERFECTLY suited one opponent. A different opponent comes along, BAM totally different outcome.

vCash

A huge issue was Oscar's power...too many have said that he had little power at 154 and none at 160...that being the case, how was he going to make Mayorga stay off him ? The answer came in the first round when Oscar almost ended it with a nasty left hook. That was no flash knockdown. That was a cobra fast, dead on shot that nailed the iron chinned Mayorga when he was fresh. From that point on it was a different fight as Mayorga was more hesitant to let go with his shots. Oscar hit him with many hooks and many soild right hands as well.

I personally think that Oscar has plenty left and has a very competitive shot against Mayweather at 154 if he is highly motivated.

Roberto Aqui

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04
    I don't think Floyd is a sure thing at all, but I'm telling you, Oscar will NOT be able to stand in the pocket like he did vs Mayorga and just beat Maywheather to the punch all night. Floyd is too fast, too many angles etc. Oscar had a lot of trouble vs a blown-up past his prime Mosley, which is the only real comparison you can make. I think the Floyd of the Judah fight with a few more lbs is better than that Mosely.

True enough, you don't think about the strength of a 154 lb steroid munching, weightlifting Mosely verses the bogus weight of a 154 lb Floyd. Let's see if Floyd has the cajones to make this bout. The poor boy has backed out of ever seminal fight presented to him over the past 3 yrs.
    Last edited by Roberto Aqui; 05-07-2006 at 04:00 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

That's simply NOT true, Roberto You let your animus for Floyd get in the way of the facts. I guess your hatred is more valid than the truth.

On this forum we have a Hatton thread where HE turned down Floyd twice. Your upset because he hasn't fought Margarito. So what? Whose Margarito?

He has no draw.

& he JUST beat Zab who was a top 5 welter. You want him to fight Margarito tomorrow? Your simply not being realistic.

& Btw: Guys. Oscar is NOT going to fight Floyd. Floyd has physically hit his ceiling at 147. Remember the guy is only 5'6. & I can't see him fighting Oscar when Oscar is going to take 75% of the purse. Floy wildly overestimates his draw.

I believe the next/last fight for Oscar is going to be Tito or Shane if he looks good in his rematch with Vargas. There's no way Oscar can get back to 147 at his age. There was NO softeness or body fat on him last night. & he's not going to kill himself making 147, weakening himself & giving Floyd a big advantage.

The reality is that it's Tito or Shane. He can make just as much $$$ with them as he would with Floyd. Actually probably more. A Shane fight in LA would be HUGE. & Him & Tito would sell out the MGM & get probably at least 600,000 buys. Plus he would get to avenge one of hiks losses.

Floyd is not gonna happen folks ...

GorDoom

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

De La Hoya Beats an Apology Out of Mayorga; The Golden Boy Stops The Wild Man in Six
    By Doug Fischer from Max Boxing

LAS VEGAS, May 6 – Coming into tonight’s fight Ricardo Mayorga won the war of words during the press tour with a combination of vulgar insults and macho theatrics, however once the bell for the WBC 154-pound title bout rang, it was Oscar De La Hoya who dominated with a combination of punches, punishing the Nicaraguan bully with right hands and left hooks for six brutal rounds.

De La Hoya improved to 38-4 (30) and won his ninth world title by dropping Mayorga twice en route to a one-sided pummeling that referee Jay Nady stopped one minute and 25 seconds into the sixth round. The beating was even worse than the one Felix Trinidad administered to Mayorga in 2004. It was brutal enough to humble the former welterweight champ who called De La Hoya every sexist and homophobic slur from the Big Book of Macho Insults for the past two months.

“You’re a great champion, a great fighter,” Mayorga, now 28-6-1 (23), told De La Hoya when the new title holder visited him as he sat dejected in his corner shortly after the bout was stopped. “I apologize for everything I said to you.”

“I forgive you,” De La Hoya replied.

He wasn’t so benevolent during the fight. De La Hoya scowled at Mayorga after dropping him with a lead right-left hook combination one minute into the first round, and continued to tee off on the cigarette smoking bad boy for the rest of the round.

De La Hoya continued to use Mayorga’s head as a speed bag in the second round, consistently landing sharper straighter punches before his rival could even get off with his wild haymakers. Although Mayorga managed to land a few right hands to the body and head, De La Hoya kept his composure.

In the third round, perhaps Mayorga’s best, the two foes took turns hurting each other with uppercuts. De La Hoya nailed Mayorga with a left uppercut; and later in the round Mayorga rocked De La Hoya with a sweeping right uppercut. However, De La Hoya charged Mayorga with one-two combinations at the bell to take the round.

In rounds four and five, De La Hoya and Mayorga traded heavy leather but it was the multi-division champ who landed more consistently. Just when it appeared that De La Hoya might begin to tire from the fast pace of the fight and Mayorga might work himself into his erratic rhythm, the Golden Boy broke through at the start of the sixth round.

After hurting Mayorga with body shots, De La Hoya drove his rival into his corner where he landed a 10-punch salvo that forced Mayorga to his knees. Mayorga got up at Nady’s count of “eight” but De La Hoya immediately jumped in his chest and got off with non-stop punches that Mayorga tried to roll with but absorbed enough to convince the referee to end the violence.

The victory, which took place in front of more than 13,000 at the MGM Grand’s Garden Arena, was one of De La Hoya’s most satisfying and impressive wins in terms of his offense. Fans have not seen him get off with accurate right hands and uppercuts in conjunction with his powerful left jab and hook since his lightweight days.

“It was a really tough fight,” De La Hoya said. “The way he was talking about my wife and my son Gabriel motivated me to go right at him.

“No matter what, I was going to stand up to him and show him that I was going to fight. I had to show the bully that I wouldn’t back down.”

De La Hoya now has a farewell fight to consider. At the start of the year he said that he would fight for the last time in September of this year. Potential opponents that he has mentioned include four-division title holder Floyd Mayweather Jr., the son of his head trainer, Winky Wright, who fights Jermain Taylor next month for the middleweight title, and Felix Trinidad, who has been rumored to be considering coming out of retirement.

“I have to talk to my people about where we want to go,” De La Hoya said. “Regarding Mayweather, I have to talk to my trainer because I respect Mayweather Sr. I have to sit down and talk with him and look at every scenario and decide what makes the most sense.”

In the co-featured bout of the evening, former IBF 154-pound titlist Kassim Ouma got up from a first-round knockdown to out-work Marco Antonio Rubio en route to a grueling 12-round split decision victory for the mandatory position in the WBC’s junior middleweight rankings.

Ouma, who won by scores of 117-110 and 116-111, with a dissenting vote for Rubio (114-113), was seriously rocked by right hands in the first two rounds but had his Mexican foe backing up with a series of left hands by end of the second round.

From the third round through the sixth, Ouma, who improved to 24-2-1 (15), beat Rubio to the punch and backed him up with sheer volume of punches. Rubio, who dropped to 32-3-1 (29), had his moments with hard counter punches in the middle rounds but often waited too long to land those shots.

Going into the late rounds, both fighters sported bruising and swelling around their eyes. Ouma’s right eye was nearly swollen shut. The bout became a busy back-and-forth contest that both men felt they did enough to earn the decision after the 12th round.

“He got me in the first round with a punch I didn’t see,” Ouma said, “he’s got a lot of power, more than I thought, but I knew if I kept punching and kept fighting that I would be alright and that I would win, and I think I definitely won.”

Rubio acknowledged that it was a tough fight, but as can be expected, felt he should have got the nod.

“It was the hardest fight of my career but I thought I pulled it out,” said Rubio.

In a special 10-round junior lightweight bout, former WBO 122-pound titlist Joan Guzman won a lopsided unanimous decision over former IBF lightweight titlist Javier Jauregui. Guzman, who won by scores of 100-90 (twice) and 99-91, improved to 25-0 (17). Jauregui, who pressed the action in almost every round but found his Dominican foe nearly impossible to hit clean, dropped to 51-13-1 (35).

Guzman began the bout looking absolutely brilliant. The former amateur star was fast and fluid, landing hard four- and five-punch combinations at will while avoiding most (if not all) of Jauregui’s punches with subtle head and upper body movement. Over the next three rounds Guzman bothered his rugged Mexican foe with an educated jab, smooth footwork and well-timed combinations. However, Jauregui is a tough nut and hard fighter to discourage. The Guadalajara native continued to press Guzman behind a hard right hand (and even harder head butt) until he was able to finally land some telling blows in the middle rounds when his opponent began to tire.

Down the stretch, Guzman did as much taunting and showboating as he did punching, but his combinations were no longer furious, they were merely flashy; still, the Dominican Republic native landed more punches than Jauregui, who never stopped trying to cut the ring off on his elusive and crafty foe but wasn’t able to land more than one shot at a time.

With the victory, Guzman has likely earned another televised appearance hopefully against a top fighter in either the featherweight or junior lightweight divisions.

In the opening bout of the HBO Pay-Per-View broadcast, lightweight prospect Jorge Paez Jr. improved to 9-0 (8) by pounding out a unanimous six-round decision over capable but outgunned Lowell Brownfield of Omaha. Paez, the son of the popular former IBF featherweight champ, landed the harder punches through the somewhat competitive scrap. Brownfield drops to 7-1 (2).

On the non-televised undercard, 2004 U.S. Olympian Rock Allen improved to 7-0 (5) with a unanimous six-round decision over tough Juan Hernandez of Los Angeles. The junior welterweight prospect out of Philadelphia pummeled Hernandez, now 2-2, with both hands in every round but could not hurt his rugged but limited opponent.

Junior featherweight prospect Jonathan Oquendo stayed undefeated with a hard-fought six-round unanimous decision over former amateur standout Torrence Daniels. Oquendo had some trouble with Daniels crafty style but the Puerto Rican was the aggressor and the harder puncher throughout the competitive bout. Oquendo improves to 9-0 (5); Daniels, of Colorado Springs, drops to 5-2-1 (2).

In the opening bout of the card, undefeated featherweight prospect Aaron Garcia was shocked by Saul Ochoa, who knocked the former amateur standout out in the third round of a scheduled six rounder. Garcia, of Vista, California, falls to 7-1 (2); Ochoa, of Phoenix, improves to 4-2-1 (2).

Roberto Aqui

Quote Originally Posted by GorDoom
    That's simply NOT true, Roberto You let your animus for Floyd get in the way of the facts. I guess your hatred is more valid than the truth.

On this forum we have a Hatton thread where HE turned down Floyd twice. Your upset because he hasn't fought Margarito. So what? Whose Margarito?
    What is not true?

I really could care less if Floyd has preferred to hide rather than make the biggest purses of his career other than how it applies to his p4p "rank"ing.

Floyd is still with his long time promoter, Arum. Hatton has switched promoters and come to America to make fights happen. Hatton has recently dethroned a long time p4p king, not Floyd. Floyd already stated he would not accept his largest career purse to fight Hatton in England, so Hatton is in America with a new promoter to scare up some interest.

Like I say, the ball is in Floyd's court for over 3 yrs now, and we still wait to see if he's more substance than gas. Lessee, the only credible options he has is Cotto, Margarito, Mosley/Vargas, Hatton, and Oscar.

Geez, sounds like suicide to me!

vCash

I had a great time watching De La Hoya vs. Mayorga Saturday night. Joining my roommate, Martin, who used to fight as an amateur years ago in New York, and Ben Torres, who fought in the Golden Gloves in Ohio many moons ago, we went to a sports bar called "The Stadium" in Schaumburg, Illinois, where we paid $10 each to watch the fights. After we watched the prelims, Ben said that he was happy that he went there, as opposed to paying $50 for PPV.

As I was returning from the restroom just before the main event, I was forced to stand and wait for a waitress, who was seated in my chair working with a customer, to move. The place was tightly packed and as I turned towards Ben, my elbow caught the tray of another server who was coming up behind me, spilling his beers on my coat, some chairs, Ben's nice shoes and the floor. People were quick to hand over napkins and, when my beer order came up, people demanded that I get my beer free of charge. Acknowleging the crowd, the waiter acquiesced, which was nice.

Then, partway through the De La Hoya-Mayorga bout, a strange thing happened: a gal came from the far end of a long table and started slugging another gal who was seated nearby. A table was overturned and several blows were swapped before people quickly intervened. Eventually, both combatants were ejected. We were trying to figure out what happened to trigger the assault, but never did find out.

As for last night's fight, itself, it was a standout moment for Oscar, no doubt. He looked a lot more powerful in there against Mayorga than I'd imagined. He boxed well, although at times he abandoned the jab, and was
    a little left hook happy.

I think everyone, not the least Mayorga, was shocked when he knocked Mayorga down with a left hook in the first and repeatedly stung him.

Mayorga landed a little and was warned repeatedly for hitting behind the head. However, De La Hoya did a great job of blocking punches while landing his own.

Personally, I think this is the high note that Oscar should go out on. I would hate to see him go out on a sour note.

Have a good one,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

I agree with Gor that a Oscar/Matweather fight will be tough to make due to the huge egos of both involved.

vCash

Gor:

Who wants to see Mosley-Oscar III? The rematch was pretty boring and I don't see much fan interest there. Vargas-Mosley didn't even sell out and Fernando's fanbase only saved that from completely tanking. Tito-Oscar II could make a lot of money but I haven't heard anything about Trinidad coming out for that one; it's not like he needs the money.

Maywheather-Oscar is THE biggest fight in boxing by far. I think their egos ensure that it WILL happen; shame on them if percentages stop it from happening. I agree Oscar could never make 147 again, but what about a catch weight of 150 with a 2 lb layaway give or take? A few lbs won't make too much of a difference as Oscar come fight night will have at least 10 lbs on Floyd anyway. It's Robinson-LaMotta I all over again but due to the styles and ages of the fighters I don't see the fight following that script. And remember, Oscar has simply gained weight with age but is not a true light middleweight. Floyd and the Golden Boy both started out fighting in the 130s.
    Last edited by hagler04; 05-07-2006 at 06:07 PM.

vCash

I found the following piece, which Frank Baltazar forwarded to me, an enjoyable read, save the bit about a T-Shirt depicting De La Hoya knocking Macho Camacho out (he won a lopsided decision over Hector):

De La Hoya Proves a Certain Guy Wrong

vCash

I really don't understand why anyone would expect Oscar to fight Shane again.

Shane's smile was lighting up the room from the 1st onward and he was in the ring after with a huge smile as well. If he wont fight Mayweather becuase of the father son thing, why would he fight his business partner now?

One thing for sure is that if this fight went the other way, I don't think we'd see Mayorga as Golden Boy's South American representitive...

Hagler04 - I disagree with your statement DLH is not a true Light Middle, he's more than grown into the weight now. At the weigh in he looked as ripped and lean as he could be without wilting - He knocked Mayorga around the ring with more authority than Tito did in my opinion, Tito was also dropped, DLH took barley four or five clean shots all night, and one of those was the headbut and two of them were to the back of the head.

When DLH fought Vargas he was still aclimatising, but I think he's settled at 154.

Administrator
    vCash
    De La Hoya weighs mega-finale vs. Mayweather
    Posted 5/7/2006 9:39 PM ET
    By Chuck Johnson, USA TODAY

LAS VEGAS — Oscar De La Hoya's plan for an encore is still anyone's guess after his sixth-round technical knockout of Ricardo Mayorga to capture the WBC super welterweight title.

There's even the possibility the Golden Boy has fought his last fight.

"We will have to wait and see," said De La Hoya (38-4, 30 knockouts). "A lot of emotions are running through my head. I will let a few days go by and think about it. I will sit down with my family, my wife and by myself alone to figure out what I'm going to do. I will have to see if it's worth fighting again."

"Oscar looked great," acknowledged unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr., a hopeful opponent for an eight-figure payday should De La Hoya decide to fight Sept. 16, previously marked for his mega-fight farewell.

"It's about two living legends meeting," said Mayweather, 29. "That fight is history. It's about legacy, and Oscar has never been scared of legacy. To leave out on top beating Floyd Mayweather would be brilliant for him and having Oscar's name on my roster would be unbelievable also. The Golden Boy vs. Pretty Boy is a tremendous matchup." [More]

vCash

DLH didn't have the rust I had anticipated and Mayorga wasn't quite the fighter or the danger he appeared to be....

That said, I still hope Oscar decides that's enough...It wouldn't be a bad way to end it for him. Hindsight being 20/20, Mayorga was perfect for Oscar...he may not, at 33, get that luxury again.

I don't think he'll follow my advice to:

Call it a day and count your money.

vCash

Oscar done a good job on Mayorga which I liked because Mayorga shoots his mouth too much. Hey, do it after the fight when you win, not look stupid when you get whipped. Oscar showed good power and was the man coming forward in range. I'd like an Oscar-Floyd match if they themselves are interested. Oscar showed he still got something left though Mayorga is a wild puncher who's always off balance and lacks skills. Floyd has all the skill you could want. Floyd would be the favourite of course at this stage but he's not unbeatable imo and Oscar has faced bigger stronger opponents and Floyd probably wouldn't hurt him to any degree that he couldn't cope with. Judah knocked Mayweather off balance so Oscar may be able to do the same and capitalize. It may also depend on what weight they meet at as Floyd's just moved to 147 and Oscar is 154. Maybe a catchweight about 150 each inside the 154 limit. I'd take Floyd to win over 12 rounds in a good fight.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by daddymofo
    They didn't touch gloves beforehand, but the beaten Mayorga was humble.

"You are a great champion," Mayorga said to De La Hoya. "You are a great fighter. I apologize for everything I said to you."

"I forgive you," De La Hoya replied.

That was off the AP wire. Man, sometimes the good guys DO win. I will sleep well tonight.
    The true heart and soul of boxing. Dlh was awsome, and made few if any mistakes. With the exception of the uppercut, Mayorga did little damage to Oscar. It appears that the primary candidates for Oscar's farewell bout are PBF, Winky Wright, Hitman Hatton, El Feroz and Tito Trinidad. Tito has already said he is not coming out of retirement, and quite frankly after watching DLH destroy Mayorga, I don't balme him. Papa Floyd has already said that he will not be in the corner of DLH if he fights PBF, and DLH has already said that he will not fight without Floyd Sr. in his corner. El Feroz has a fight with Sugar Shane coming up, and their previous contest wasn't that spectacular. I don't believe that Hatton wants to go over 147. Therefore, I'm thinking the best contest and most $$$ would be against Winky Wright. This would be a positive for both fighters. Wright is not a big puncher, and he gave a boxing lesson the Tito. If Oscar beats him, he redeems himself for the loss to Tito. Just a thought

vCash

Hey Guys,

I was there at ringside - eight rows back.

Incredible fight from that vantage point. De La Hoya was punching like a man possessed and I was stunned, flabbergasted - or whatever other adjective you would like to use - by the incredible power he was getting behind his shots. Near the end he was loading up on everything and it was BOOM! SNAP! KAPOW! I was also stunned at how Oscar was able to scrape off 20 months worth of rust to shine like he did.

Say what you want about Mayorga, but the guy has two things that kept him in there - heart and balls. He was never right after being down in the first, yet he continued to hang in there and try to win while absorbing some tremendous shots. Mayorga got his own licks in as well and he did a pretty good job to De la Hoya's body.

I spoke to Floyd Mayweather, Jr. after the fight. Floyd doesn't want any other fight except De La Hoya - period. Oscar was pretty evasive about what his plans are and he disclosed that he has a torn left rotator cuff which is going to need surgery at some point. He said it has been damaged for about three years but now it's to the point that after about nine rounds of sparring he has to stop because of the pain.

My personal feeling on an Oscar vs. Floyd fight? It would be huge - a super/mega fight. It will generate $100 million in my view between the live gate, PPV and foreign rights. I've seen both Oscar and Floyd fight in person. Based on what I have seen up close and personal - I say Oscar beats Floyd - but then I thought Mayorga would beat Oscar - so what the hell do I know?

Tom

vCash

Who took those great photos? Can we use one or two in the BoxRec Fight page, giving due credit, of course?
    http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.ph...icardo_Mayorga

Banned
    vCash

Gosh

I realy have no idea what to take from this bout. I did not bother paying for it, as IMO, no way in hell was it worth $4.99 let alone 49.99.

Not a fan of either fighter so I would not be disappointed in how ever the fight ended, but given the complete classlessness displayed by Mayorga, I'm happy he got bludgeoned.

THat said, I'm not sure how much can be read into it. We all knew oscar was the vastly superior fighter, we just didn' know how sharp he'd be after the layoff. The EXACT same thoughts were made of Tito going into his bout with Mayorga.

Post Tito Mayorga, FAR TOO MANY were thinking Tito was back all the way and that he'd walk through Wright who was supposedly smaller and had never really fought at the weight Tito was Now most comfortable in.

Eerie similarities here re Oscar and Floyd? That said, I have no idea if Floyd can take shots at 154 and if he'd have enough power at Jr. Middle to get Oscar's respect. Then agian so many said the same thing about Winky.

Floyd IS active and in no way shape or form is he a Jr. Middleweight, he is active and immensely talented. A stretch to beat Oscar? THIS Oscar? THIS Oscar beat Mayorga. I'm not that impressed with a win over Mayorga. That Oscar came back from such an extended time off and DID look sharp, is impressive, but agian, I don't think that Mayorga is an elite fighter and the current version of Ricardo has not impressed me since the first Forrest bout. And even then, it seemed that that win had to more to do with Vernon than it did with Ricardo.

He;s done NOTHING since that bout, that makes me say "wow This is a pretty good fighter." I had him beating Vernon in the rematch (sorry T), but agian, it was becuase I was less impressed with Vernon, than impressed with Mayorga.

I am not convinced I'd stake my hat in saying that Oscar beats Floyd simply becuase he wiped out Mayorga. If I KNEW Oscar was still at or near his best, I'd take him over Floyd at 154, at 147 at 140 and at 135 I'd say you have an even bout.

At 154, Oscar IS the better fighter. Imo Clearly. 147 too. But I'm referring to a de la Hoya at his best at those weights. I'm not sure Oscar IS the fighter that beat Vargas at 154 or even the version that lost to Mosley at 154. Beating Mayorga doesn't answer that for me. No more than beating Zab Judah convinces me that Floyd at 147 could have ever beaten an Oscar at his best at 147.

Too many questions still.

I do agree that the bout never happens. And all that does is leave more questions open about Floyd. Of course he will use the bout's never happening as evidence that no one will face him.

Whihc imo, is a crock.

Oh well.

Hawk

Administrator
    vCash
    DE LA HOYA-MAYORGA OVER 800,000 PPV BUYS!
    By G. Leon

Earlier today HBO PPV guru Mark Taffet informed Boxingtalk.com that the Oscar De La Hoya-Ricardo Mayorga PPV generated over 800,000 buys. HBO has been unable to determine a more precise estimation at the present time but the formal announcement will follow shortly.

vCash

Damn 800,000 @ $22.50 equals mucho dinero for Oscar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast