The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: hype igoe

vCash

hype igoe

I would like to find some info about Hype Igoe or Tad Dorgan

whats the best way to get started
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 12:42 PM.

vCash

Re: hype igoe

Who is the best all time boxing scribe any way Jack Cuddy said Hype Igoe did more to popularize boxing than any fighter of his time
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 12:43 PM.

vCash

Damon Runyon said he was the Original Dean of Boxing A Modern Day Plato And Knew more about Boxing History than Any one of his era The Greatest since Jim Figg
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 12:45 PM.

vCash

Seems to be some folks here that know an awful lot about boxers . How about the boxing writers of the past am I alone in thinking they are as interesting as the boxers . Would love to here from some one who knows about the people who have written the stories that are used to remember .
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 12:47 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Iskigoe:

The only things I know about him was that he was a writer & publicist. Supposedly the term "Hype" was coined after him.

GorDoom

vCash

His name was Herbert Igoe . Tad Dorgan gave him the nick name while working for the san francisco chronicle . When an elevator operator told him he was as thin as a hypodermic needle . Hype was the writer responsible for the story of the long count and a great friend of Damon Runyon . He was a writer for ring mag . Bill Gallo said Hype helped teach him how to cartoon. He was one of the few writers to bridge the gap betwen writting about fights most people never saw ,to writting about fights that were on tv. He lived next door to Jim Corbett I found a series of his 20 greatest fights from Jeffries Corbett to Louis Conn inculding Dempsey Willard. Igoe grew up with the britt brothers ,and was mgr for Ketchel whom he always said was the best boxer he ever saw. Pspers he wrote for are the san francisco chronicle ny journal ny world ring sporting news . Hype was also an expert cartoonist.

Joe louis said when he should have been training for schmeling . He was playing golf with Hype . Louis said when the black press could not get access to his fights. Hype helped petition to get them in . Boxing historians should pay more attion to the people who wrote the stories they read . I think its a shame people like Hype Igoe and Tad Dorgan are left out of the hall of fame . Over looked

Frases still used today were coined by these men hot dog, all washed up, goofy, the real mccoy ,a benny and many more . I say we should look back and make sure people like this are not passed over, because they where before all these orgs. existed . It would be like leaving Burt Sugar out or Daymon Runyon or any of the great writers . Lets get these great into the boxing hall of fame or shame on all of us dont just study the boxers study who you are studing
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 02:44 PM.

vCash

Igoe once saved his friend Stanley Ketchel from shooting a waiter who had been rude to him at the Clark House in Wheeling, West Virginia. Stanley was in a bad mood because his hand was sore from a recent fight with Billy Papke. He always laid his blue revolver across his lap when he sat down to breakfast, and the waiter gave him a snippy answer about what was on the menu. Igoe said he could see the coming storm and purposely cut his own lip by biting into his water glass. He then urged Ketchel to rush him to the bathroom. The preciously bought time apparently calmed Stanley down.

vCash

I read that article also Igoe was ketchels mgr after his fight with Johnson . Ketchel came into Hypes apartment one day laid two pistols on the table and informed him that Wilson Mizner would be his pilot. Mizner and Igoe were great friends and remained so . I also read that after Hype had a great deal of trouble collecting 1500 dollars Ketchel owed him. T

he articles I found this in were written by Jack Cuddy and by Damon Runyon . Alot was written about Hype Igoe in the bright side and in the social sections in the 20s and 30s sports writers played hard back then
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 02:51 PM.

vCash

Nat Fleischer also knew Igoe very well. Hype was greatly fond of Ketchel and loved to write about him. Who didn't?

vCash

igoe wrote often for the ring. One of the original writers. I read a great article in one about louis -braddock
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 04:10 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Iskigoe:

Just curious, are you by any chance related to Hype Igoe? I notice the last part of your handle has igoe in it & you sure seem passionate about the subject.

regards,

GorDoom

vCash

grandson as I looking to find out more about him I was surprised to find that some great writers have been over looked by the hall of fame its a shame . Look back through old articles Hype Igoe and Tad Dorgan were at every big fight going back to the 1890s They quoted more often for fights then most. These guys were at fights in barns barges and in the back woods . They did great things for boxing. If you study them you would agree. They should not be over looked any more then Sullivan , Corbett or Ketchel . Are they any less great then the new writers in the hall of fame no just over looked .

Research them

You will see these guys were as big as the sport in their day . When the only way to see a fight for most people would have been through their words.
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 04:15 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Hey, I'm not arguing with you. There have been MANY ,MANY, fighters & contributors that have been left out of HOF's. It happens & it's a shame. Time passes & people are forgotten in the bloody mitts of time ...

GorDoom

vCash

I disagree these guys were essential to the sport . Key players its never too late to go back and right a wrong. The two top boxing cartoonists of their time . Many of the cartoonists after apprenticed with them george heriman, ripley, gallo , ect
    all started under them .

Igoe was a big part in cleaning up boxing in the 20 s and helped keep it alive when boxing was illegal. The long count, heck Igoe pushed Dempsey back in the ring against Firpo
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 04:19 PM.

vCash

suggestion

How about we start honoring Mr. Igoe by actually writing sentences and using some basic punctuation in the posts?

vCash

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to complain .

In boxing this would be called a low blow .
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-10-2006 at 06:05 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

I've got another complaint, you could be a little less snarky, & yes a little punctuatiion, spelling & paragrah breaks would be nice ...

& what was that snide answer supposed to mean?

GorDoom

vCash

sorry truley have no writting skills just have a passion for the subject
    dont mean to sound snarky not a snide answer doing the best I can please bear with me
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 04:25 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

You got it. Just because your grandfather was a great writer we shouldn't be holding you to those standards. Hell, I don't see any Pulitzer Prize winners arounds here ...

But anyway, we be cool, just that there's no need to be so argumentative because nobody is arguing with you in regards to Hype Igoe.

He's an aknowledged, hard core, boxing guy.

GorDoom

vCash

Not argumentative . I try to stay away from writing . But this looks to be a great place to inspire someone to look at these two writers . Maybe say hey he's right lets look closer at them. Oldtimers seem to be introduced into the hall of fame all the time. Why not them ? Hey I'm getting better at this writing . Anyway someone has to start the fire.
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 04:31 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

There's two things I would do: Post a question asking what anybody might know about Igoe in the old timers section. Post the same question in Hap Navarro's California History forum below this one. Be patient. If anybody knows anything they will post something.

Remember these are old timers on these boards & we treat them with big time respect here.

GorDoom

vCash

I will do the same . Thanks for the break and the help .

vCash

When I started reading this thread it initially annoyed the hell out of me because it seemed like an onslaught of posts from one individual with very little input from anybody else in between. However, it made me curious enough to take a look at the International Boxing H.O.F. inductees in the 'Observer' category to see who was in there. I found the following: Lester Bromberg, Jimmy Cannon, Ralph Citro, Jack Fiske, Bill Gallo, Reg Guttertidge, W.C. Heinz, Jersey Jones, Hank Kaplan, Harry Mullan, Barney Nagler, Damon Runyon, Budd Schulberg, Bert Sugar, & Stanley Weston.

I don't have an issue with any of those selections, but it made me wonder how not only guys like Hype Igoe were overlooked but what about other notable boxing writers such as W.W. Naughton, Trevor Wignall, Denzil Batchelor, Leslie Bell, Frank Butler, George Barton, Gene Fowler, Jack Read, Francis Dowling, Harold Furniss, W.E. Harding, W.O. McGeehan, Ring Lardner, Joe Williams, ... hell, the list just goes on and on. You really do have to wonder how on earth some of these guys have been overlooked.

vCash

I dont know enough about it but when trying to find out more about my grandfather it seemed to me that important writers have been passed over by the H. O. F. . I was excited to find this site because it seems to have a lot of writers , and thought I could get some help to try to get some of these old timers in .

Before 1920 writers are not in unless they were famous for other things as well. Most people here study boxing I came here on a diffrent path I was studying a writer . It may seem selfish to say I belive my grandfather belongs in the hall of fame . But look at the list above. Their work is used and quoted all the time . In their time many people did not see fights they read about them . I think it would be great to remember them and thank them for the history . I say this humbly . Help if you can .

One other name left off the list above Tad Dorgan
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 04:37 PM.

vCash

Nevada State Journal, February 14, 1945
    "Hype Igoe, Board of Boxing, Will Have Permanent Place In Annals of Fistic World. By Jack Cuddy, U.P. Staff Correspondent
    Hype Igoe-board of boxing: minstrel man of maul-has gone to join the immortals whom he glorified in his sagas of the ring: and they will welcome him because he was their crony and a great champion in their own line.

From the days of "Gentleman Jim" Corbett, little Hype and his glowing tales of gladiators probably did more to popularize prize fighting than the heroics of any ring-king about whom he wrote. For he was a genius at capturing the drama, romance and color of this strange profession.

His unfailing buoyancy was illustrated before the Louis-Braddock heavyweight title fight at Chicago in June, 1937. Mike Jacobs and the brigade of sports writers threw a party at the Morrison hotel for Hype, celebrating his 60th birthday. Hype, though suffering from the shingles, a skin inflammation, was the life of the party. Always on the alert for a gage, it was at his suggestion that the lights were turned out in the banquet room when a certain editor, who had a reputation for long windedness, rose to speak. The editor said, "Just sit still boys, and I'll talk to you until the lights come on." About five minutes later a waitor turned on the lights - and there was the editor talking to himself. His audience had sneaked out in the darkness.

Hype loved and lived boxing throughout his career on the San Francisco Examiner and the New York papers - Journal Sun, World and Journal-American. He did roadwork withthe fighters in their camps and was a buddy of virtually every champion from Corbett on down. He mingled with the managers around the taverns, and with the strange characters around the gymnasiums. They never seemed strange to him.

Many of Hype's stories were syndicated and read from coast to coast. He also did "ghost" writing for promiment fighters and managers. Writing for Doc Kearns before the first Jack Dempsey - Gene Tunney fight at Philadelphia he was unable to reach Kearns on the eve of the battle to get his prediction. Manager Kearns and Dempsey had split up. Hype figured that Kearns would pick Tunney to win, because of his dispute with the Mauler. So out went the story under Kearns name: "I Pick Tunney!" Meanwhile Hype picked Dempsey in his own piece.

When Kearns heard of his Tunney selection he was furious. He bellowed, "I'll kill that Igoe with my bare hands! He's made me the laughing stock of the country." Later he was delighted after the title changed hands that very night."

vCash

I have read this story thanks for showing it to me again. It looks as if we research in the same place . For some great reading Hype wrote a series for the sporting news called my 20 greatest fights . I think some day I will write a book around this series [might use a ghost writer myself ] the series gives great insight to the state of boxing in about 4 decades .Take a peek and let me know . Thanks for the story

igoe
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-11-2006 at 04:39 PM.

vCash

I was so glad to find this site after surfing aimlessly for a few yrs . Now Im not sure it dosnt make me a little sad I didnt try to find out more about Hype Igoe when I was a little younger.

I dont mean to turn this in to a thread of tears . But imagine if I would have stopped into dempseys resturant and got one of those hand shakes he was famous for ,or talked to Joe louis . Maybe I could found what Hype was whispering to him in a picture a saw of them together . Anyway I guess I waited a bit to long. Most people who knew him are about all gone .

I truley would be greatful for any leads on pictures, mag articles , or boxing films where he is ring side . I saw a Louis Conn fight espn classic once and thougt I could see him there .

MY MISSION STATEMENT HYPE IGOE H.O.F. least we forget
    Last edited by iskigoe; 05-13-2006 at 12:27 AM.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by iskigoe
    I was so glad to find this site after surfing aimlessly for a few yrs . Now Im not sure it dosnt make me a little sad I didnt try to find out more about Hype Igoe when I was a little younger.

I dont mean to turn this in to a thread of tears . But imagine if I would have stopped into dempseys resturant and got one of those hand shakes he was famous for ,or talked to Joe louis . Maybe I could found what Hype was whispering to him in a picture a saw of them together . Anyway I guess I waited a bit to long. Most people who knew him are about all gone .

I truley would be greatful for any leads on pictures, mag articles , or boxing films where he is ring side . I saw a Louis Conn fight espn classic once and thougt I could see him there .

MY MISSION STATEMENT HYPE IGOE H.O.F. least we forget
    hey that man was a goddamn legend; well let me put it too you this way- if you EVER met dempsey and shook his crushing hand-him not meaning too-well you would have heard things you never dreammed of - but try to follow all of hypes writhings you knoe the man

vCash

Mr. Igoe:

As I have answered you on another thread----there are many worthies who have yet to be included in the International Hall of Fame. One that comes to mind because he richly deserves the honor is our own Rodolfo "Gato" Gonzales.

Another is Bill Miller, Sports Editor of the Manila Bulletin during the first World War. He joined up with Frank Churchill, who started many of the great Filipino fighters. Together, enlisting the services of trainer Whitey Ekwert, they brought Pancho Villa, Clever Sencio and Dencio
    Cabanella to America as the vanguard of dozens of Philippine Islanders that enriched the fight game stateside for many years. When Churchill retired, Bill Miller booked and managed many fighters and later published a couple of boxing books. He wound up his career in L.A. as Publicity Director for the Olympic Aditorium. He was a friendly cross town rival when I was handling boxing publicity for the Hollywood Stadium. Bill was also an early California rep for Ring Magazine, preceding Gene Vinassa and Harry Winkler.

Take this for what it is worth to you: You probably will get Hype Igoe into the I.H.O.F. You've taken a firm step via this "zone". It might help to heed the sound advice of some of the others posting herein. Just a suggestion, please don't be offended.

hap navarro

vCash

Dear Mr. Navarro

Thanks for the kind post . Ive seen though ,I have some work to do. I see from this zone I must know what Im talking about. Iam going to have to learn all I can about Hype.

Today I will start a time line of his life .I know he was born in Santa Clara .
    If see or hear anything you think I should know .I would be greatful if you passed it on .

Thanks again

K Igoe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast